• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compton Crisis and Small minded local government

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
This is wholly disgusting. I know this isn't national news but is there similar infighting in any of your local governments that kill good ideas to score political points?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LegendOfKage

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
Probably more to this story than what's been reported. Compton is a changing city, with the majority of the residence now being hispanic. This is not reported on the mainstream news, but most black and brown people hate each other in many cities where they share the same neighborhoods. They fight in school, kill one another in street gangs, and generally do not agree on much of anything. The local government may be operating on the same type of racial tension, where the hispanic leaders don't want to support ideas from the black leaders because it may be preferential to blacks.

The multiracial street gangs and multicultural image the extreme left often portray is all but a facade. The reality is, without a common enemy in these neighborhoods, the black and brown people will turn on one another. There is no solidarity between most of these people and the extreme left knows it.

Last edited:
Reactions: oagboghi2

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Really sad.

"Sometimes it's less about what you do and more about who you associate with". What a retarded mentality. The fact that a public official said it is downright disturbing, though perhaps it reflects the attitude of her constituents.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Local politics is full of corruption, petty feuds and incompetent managers across the country. It's not unique to compton

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Probably more to this story than what's been reported. Compton is a changing city, with the majority of the residence now being hispanic. This is not reported on the mainstream news, but most black and brown people hate each other in many cities where they share the same neighborhoods. They fight in school, kill one another in street gangs, and generally do not agree on much of anything. The local government may be operating on the same type of racial tension, where the hispanic leaders don't want to support ideas from the black leaders because it may be preferential to blacks.

The multiracial street gangs and multicultural image the extreme left often portray is all but a facade. The reality is, without a common enemy in these neighborhoods, the black and brown people will turn on one another. There is no solidarity between most of these people and the extreme left knows it.
What more do you think there is? What do think this story is about? Because you went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I posted.

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
What more do you think there is? What do think this story is about? Because you went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I posted.
Do you lack critical thinking skills to see how many inconsistencies and gaps there are in this story? What are they trying to build, where are they building, who are the people benefiting, why there are no legal sanctions?

I did not go off on a tangent. I provided context, something which you fail to understand. The city used to be majority black until the early 2000's. It is a magnet for illegal immigrants, who have slowly taken over and displacing the blacks to the Inland Empire. There are frequent tension in the LAUSD school systems between blacks and brown but you won't hear much reporting on it.

Most black and brown people do not get along in Compton, Inglewood, Downey. You can infer this from many things such as the clear racial divide in the neighborhood makeup, the frequent fights in schools, street gangs, blacks moving out, stores and shops that cater to only one group, political representation and infighting. The only thing that seems to be holding these types of cities together is the welfare system, something both groups benefit greatly from.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Do you lack critical thinking skills to see how many inconsistencies and gaps there are in this story? What are they trying to build, where are they building, who are the people benefiting, why there are no legal sanctions?

I did not go off on a tangent. I provided context, something which you fail to understand. The city used to be majority black until the early 2000's. It is a magnet for illegal immigrants, who have slowly taken over and displacing the blacks to the Inland Empire. There are frequent tension in the LAUSD school systems between blacks and brown but you won't hear much reporting on it.

Most black and brown people do not get along in Compton, Inglewood, Downey. You can infer this from many things such as the clear racial divide in the neighborhood makeup, the frequent fights in schools, street gangs, blacks moving out, stores and shops that cater to only one group, political representation and infighting. The only thing that seems to be holding these types of cities together is the welfare system, something both groups benefit greatly from.
What were they trying to build? It was answered in the proposal AND the video... Repairing the potholes. Of which there are many. Not to mention helping to rebuild the parks and other things associated with infrastructure.

Where? I'm assuming all over Compton.

Who are the people benefitting? All of Compton? Because potholes affect Everyone who drives (or rides the public transportation).

Not to mention that he is working WITH former Latino gang members to do this... AND they raised the money in the community. That says a LOT!

And why aren't there any legal sanctions? I'm assuming you're talking about the council members... I don't know the answer to that. I don't live in CA. BUT I made this thread about corruption in local city governments and asked y'all if you've got anything similar happening in your cities and towns. No one has answered that yet.

And your context had nothing to do with the question NOR the video/articles of what was reported. It had NOTHING to do with race and EVERYTHING to do with petty political squabbles.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
I'mm not sure of anything like this going on locally now, but when I lived in NC I heard about some stuff. But now that I think about it the state government had its hand in much of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Sad. The thing about politics is that people that actually care and would do a good job in office don't run for office because they're not power hungry people. Most people that run are, and do things for their own advancement and not that of the people they're supposedly serving.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
What were they trying to build? It was answered in the proposal AND the video... Repairing the potholes. Of which there are many. Not to mention helping to rebuild the parks and other things associated with infrastructure.

Where? I'm assuming all over Compton.

Who are the people benefitting? All of Compton? Because potholes affect Everyone who drives (or rides the public transportation).

Not to mention that he is working WITH former Latino gang members to do this... AND they raised the money in the community. That says a LOT!

And why aren't there any legal sanctions? I'm assuming you're talking about the council members... I don't know the answer to that. I don't live in CA. BUT I made this thread about corruption in local city governments and asked y'all if you've got anything similar happening in your cities and towns. No one has answered that yet.

And your context had nothing to do with the question NOR the video/articles of what was reported. It had NOTHING to do with race and EVERYTHING to do with petty political squabbles.
I think his point is that the petty political squabbles are being fought along racial lines, and there's no whitey to blame because they're not involved.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I think his point is that the petty political squabbles are being fought along racial lines, and there's no whitey to blame because they're not involved.
Judging by the video, all three council members are black and brown. A mixed group. Not all Latino (which is more ethnicity than race) and not all black. But they all seem to have it in for the mayor and playing political games against her.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2018
That's disgusting, and good for the filmmaker for getting on video. If that women has no other explanation why she voted no beyond a personal grudge, she should be forcefully and legally removed by the community from the position of power they entrusted her with.

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
I know this isn't national news but is there similar infighting in any of your local governments that kill good ideas to score political points?
This has been the core of American politics for as much of my life as I can remember. They're just learning by watching it at every level above them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Judging by the video, all three council members are black and brown. A mixed group. Not all Latino (which is more ethnicity than race) and not all black. But they all seem to have it in for the mayor and playing political games against her.
A majority black county with a growing Hispanic population that is set to become the majority very soon. The three dissidents could be opposing the mayor simply because it would play to their Hispanic base, and help one of them succeed her. It happens whenever a demographic changes. The political figurehead changes as well.

Mar 18, 2018
This is what happens when you have a pretty one sided majority... corruption sets in.

It’s happening here in my city.