• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer help- HDMI out not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I've been using my 32" Dynex TV as a monitor exclusively for quite some time now. I've been connecting through the HDMI port on my computer. Yesterday I unplugged the HDMI and hooked up through VGA temporarily to use the HDMI cable in a seperate room. When I plugged the HDMI back into the PC I couldn't get the computer to detect an external monitor at all.

I've tried going through the CCC, and through display properties. I've tried multipled HDMI cables, and multiple monitors. I'm assuming there's a driver conflict of some sort, but I really don't know for sure. Is there something I've missed here?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is your monitor set to the corresponding HDMI input?

Is the monitor turned on?

Did you try restarting the laptop while connected?

Did you try right-clicking the desktop and going to screen resolution to see if both displays are there?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is your monitor set to the corresponding HDMI input?

Is the monitor turned on?

Did you try restarting the laptop while connected?

Did you try right-clicking the desktop and going to screen resolution to see if both displays are there?

Tried all of these things, and none of it has worked :-/. Is it possible the output crapped out? Sucks, because it was just working 20 minutes before I unplugged it.

Had this happen to me, had to buy a new graphics card. I tried everything to get it to work, I hate hdmi handshake issues. Still to this day, the onboard hdmi doesn't work.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Had this happen to me, had to buy a new graphics card. I tried everything to get it to work, I hate hdmi handshake issues. Still to this day, the onboard hdmi doesn't work.

Ughh this sucks, hopefully this isn't the end result here, because seriously I love the setup I have at the moment :-/.

Uninstall video driver, and reset tv to factory settings. It's your only chance if it is a handshake problem. Dunno why it happened with my Sony TV and the computer, but it solved with that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Uninstall video driver, and reset tv to factory settings. It's your only chance if it is a handshake problem. Dunno why it happened with my Sony TV and the computer, but it solved with that.

Any specific way to reset the TV?

Try connecting both monitors at the same time. Try to use windows to display on both.

Already tried this, still not detecting anything through HDMI.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wasn't there someone also on GAF who had this sort of problem

You just had to name the HDMI input literally "HDMI" and it worked

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Have you already tried troubleshooting by using other monitors and cables that you know are 100% okay?

Yep tried everything. Multiple monitors and TVs, cables, and all that stuff.

OP: Win7? Press Start+P

tried this and nothing.

Happened to me, and i DID find a sollution...it was really stupid, but it worked.

Unplug everything. Including the TV power source.
Wait 30 seconds.

Plug everything back in.

ughh if this is the case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor and get a whole new setup, so I'm probably just going to try to sell this particular computer :-/.
I was skeptical.....but it worked for me :/

tried this too :-/.

I'm gonna just accept I must have shorted it out or something. There was a ton of static going around in my basement, it must have just somehow shorted when I replugged it back in. I thought something like that would freeze the computer, or cause smoke or something, but it probably was just enough to fry it.

So just to confirm, this problem only happens when you connect your main pc with your main TV right?

Everything else works?

Then you didnt break anything, it's just another case of technology companies screwing us over with their handshake BS.

....maybe try unplugging everything, EVERYTHING for a minute...?

As I said, it happened to me. I has used my laptop and TV via VGA just fine. One day I bought HDMI and it worked just fine. Then one day, nothing. Wouldnt work. Tried everything on the software side, until the stupid power off solution.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You didn't even get the on screen popup to switch between duplicate/extend/etc?

I get that, but it says no projector detected.

So just to confirm, this problem only happens when you connect your main pc with your main TV right?

Everything else works?

Then you didnt break anything, it's just another case of technology companies screwing us over with their handshake BS.

....maybe try unplugging everything, EVERYTHING for a minute...?

As I said, it happened to me. I has used my laptop and TV via VGA just fine. One day I bought HDMI and it worked just fine. Then one day, nothing. Wouldnt work. Tried everything on the software side, until the stupid power off solution.

Yeah I'll try it againandhope... I'm assuming there was a driver that got switched or something, I just don't see how the HDMI would just randomly break at that very moment.

You'd have to check the manual. :/

Mine had a tiny poking button that reseted.

YeahI'll have to look through. There's something in the menu to restore to defaults, that's probably it.

thirty

Banned
my hdmi out worked fine for my laptop, then i switched tv's and used a newer spec'd hdmi cable and now it doesn't work.

you may have to change your hdmi cable. either use an older spec'd cable or a newer one.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
my hdmi out worked fine for my laptop, then i switched tv's and used a newer spec'd hdmi cable and now it doesn't work.

you may have to change your hdmi cable. either use an older spec'd cable or a newer one.

Already tried a couple different cables, no luck.

OP, did you try this? The only reason I suggested it is I have a 32" Dynex and had the same problem when connecting my PC via HDMI.

Sadly already tried this, and nothing :-/. From the sound of it most people just lucked their way out it and eventually the computer just recognized the HDMI again randomly. Hopefully this can happen still.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does the VGA work? I believe the image quality is just as good, so why not just use that?

For w/e reason the image quality is actually very blurry on this particular TV... not only that but I also was running thesound through my tv and the HDMI did both of these things with great quality.

Op did you try re instaling your drivers?

Yep, nothing so far :-/. I have to believe this is just a mixup somewhere in the drivers or something, because I just don't see how it could've broke in that one moment.

Dunk#7

Maybe the same thing that caused the issue could be inversely replicated...

Try plugging in both the VGA and the HDMI and connecting them to the monitor at the same time. Then attempt to unplug/plug them in in different orders.

Also try powering the computer on with various combinations of cables connected/disconnected

Sounds crazy, but it seems like it may have potential to me

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Reading "Dynex" made me sad. Sorry that I have no help, too.

It's a solid TV seriously. I got it as a christmas gift for super cheap a few years ago. Really doesn't matter abuot the TV/Monitor though, because I've tried multiple TVs and none are working with it.

Maybe the same thing that caused the issue could be inversely replicated...

Try plugging in both the VGA and the HDMI and connecting them to the monitor at the same time. Then attempt to unplug/plug them in in different orders.

Also try powering the computer on with various combinations of cables connected/disconnected

Sounds crazy, but it seems like it may have potential to me

I'll give it a shot, but I've actually already tried stuff similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom