• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

Compsiox

Banned
The game is okay so far. I miss when survival games had a sense of purpose.

In Rust Legacy everyone would try and take over the Radtowns. It was a lot of fun and it was a core component of the game.

Now, Rust and Conan are only about building settlements from the ground up.

I miss being able to thrive as a lone wolf.

Hearing combat sucks pretty much kills the hype for me. I've been through this kinda game many times before and if it doesn't offer something truly superior to the others(especially combat wise). I'll just skip it.

derFeef

I found some Skeletons. Not recommended ;)
17002E99E0A2A0A166AC975B6C35A5B250AD4645

I might just turn off the option to drop equipment on death for my server.

Hagi

Games pretty fun now I've found a server where people aren't attacking me on sight. Managed to find myself a nice spot under a cliff side to build a house. Hopefully it's still there tomorrow. :p

2nd day watching Lirik play and I think it's kinda meh. I feel the focus of the game is too much standard survival mechanics with high resource depletion rates getting you stuck in a typical tight hoarding loop. Even with added bells & whistles like the enslavement system and avatars, the grinding/hoarding is still the meat of the game.
Combat/PvP is typical jank that seems to come with the genre. Can be entertaining to watch, but frustrating to play I can imagine, especially if you end up dying.
I feel the game doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the competition, which is a bit disappointing.

vazel

Banned
There needs to be an incentive to create proper towns with better-looking buildings. So far it looks like settlements are going to be haphazard and janky looking like in Rust.

Is this a total lagfest for everyone else, even in ~50 ping servers?

I figured I would test this out for an hour or so but it's tough when I'm lagging my arse off and getting ganked at the spot that you can harvest your firs pickaxe, lol

Does the game have offline mode? Need to learn the system first.

It has a single player mode from the main menu, it hosts a local server on your side, which allows you to customise the game and world settings. Then if you feel like it you can invite friends in your game.

I really, really wish there was a sort of PvP server without mindless kill on sight. I love PvP but with how laggy/janky the game is right now, it's really frustrating in its current state.

I'd love something like a PvE world with PVP zones, like arenas n' shit, or the like.

oktarb

Played for a couple hours thought I'd toss down some initial thoughts while keeping in mind ALPHA.

Crafting worked well, I knew what to do, how to get it and in general the craft grind is there. I wasn't to keen on the idea I had to keep remaking my bed. I felt it slowed me down. Die, bummer, respawn, I want to go back out and get my crap but I can't. I have to make my bed again. Maybe there's a more permanent version later. Maybe that mechanic is ok if I just drop a bed out in the open but I build a walled, doored hut. I feel that should make it permanent.

Yay grass armor. Wait I kinda like my naked chick. Wait! I'm a perv. Put armor on your perv! Ooo boobies. A lot of work went into genitalia only to cover everything up in the first hour for essentially the rest of the game.

Combat obviously needs work as does enemy AI. That will come. I can't decide if I want a conning system or something similiar but I never felt like I could tell if I was winning or not. Can I take that croc? No idea. Swing and swing until it dies or you die. Health bar is the easy solution but maybe they can improve on a visual system.

I felt exploring was a waste of time. I never found any items besides crafting materials and f I went to far it was just death. I would have liked to stumble upon a cave or a ruin with a rusty sword or moldy backpack. The iconic scene of Conan finding the Dead King's throne and hence sword is completely missing from this game...as far as I've seen.

It was nice to run into a talking wander, felt I should have met him way sooner.

Dying of thirst, run to river and die from dehydration because I don't have a water skin. Water is water. If I want to travel through the desert then I should stock up on water skins. If I have a river by my hut I should have no worries.

So sure these are very preliminary observations. I had fun and want to see more. Is there a Gaf private server yet?

antonz

So, is the game worth it at the moment GAF?

Seems like it has a pretty solid foundation. Server issues to be resolved and the AI is lacking which gets intensified by server issues.

What's "broken" right now is pretty usual things for a 24 hour old Early Access game. Its already much better optimized then say Ark and such though. Having Mod support instantly available should also allow people to develop all sorts of crazy things

derFeef

Another small patch released.
The server selection menu should now be fixed, showing you all servers and without delay
Fists, Repair Hammer, and low level weapons can no longer damage buildings
Issues with people dying from hunger after respawn should be fixed

As I said, I would totally rent a GAF server if I can get sure I can get some support - I guess it should be US located even though some of us are from other countries?

Khezu

Another small patch released.

As I said, I would totally rent a GAF server if I can get sure I can get some support - I guess it should be US located even though some of us are from other countries?

I could get into that probably.
I should maybe play a few more days to really gather an opinion on the game before committing though.

I would imagine playing on a server in a group would probably make the game a lot more fun? That's the only reason I can see why some people play these types of games for 1000's of hours.

derFeef

Alright, private, official NeoGAF server is set up.

https://topconanservers.com/server/163.172.78.59:39416
It will need some time to launch! Check back later. Name should be "Official NeoGAF Conan Exiles Server" and it has 30 slots for now.
I will have the standard settings for now, but we can change settings if we want. I will be setting up a Discord as well.

Quote for password

Quote for discord

Played for a couple hours thought I'd toss down some initial thoughts while keeping in mind ALPHA.

Crafting worked well, I knew what to do, how to get it and in general the craft grind is there. I wasn't to keen on the idea I had to keep remaking my bed. I felt it slowed me down. Die, bummer, respawn, I want to go back out and get my crap but I can't. I have to make my bed again. Maybe there's a more permanent version later. Maybe that mechanic is ok if I just drop a bed out in the open but I build a walled, doored hut. I feel that should make it permanent.

Yay grass armor. Wait I kinda like my naked chick. Wait! I'm a perv. Put armor on your perv! Ooo boobies. A lot of work went into genitalia only to cover everything up in the first hour for essentially the rest of the game.

Combat obviously needs work as does enemy AI. That will come. I can't decide if I want a conning system or something similiar but I never felt like I could tell if I was winning or not. Can I take that croc? No idea. Swing and swing until it dies or you die. Health bar is the easy solution but maybe they can improve on a visual system.

I felt exploring was a waste of time. I never found any items besides crafting materials and f I went to far it was just death. I would have liked to stumble upon a cave or a ruin with a rusty sword or moldy backpack. The iconic scene of Conan finding the Dead King's throne and hence sword is completely missing from this game...as far as I've seen.

It was nice to run into a talking wander, felt I should have met him way sooner.

Dying of thirst, run to river and die from dehydration because I don't have a water skin. Water is water. If I want to travel through the desert then I should stock up on water skins. If I have a river by my hut I should have no worries.

So sure these are very preliminary observations. I had fun and want to see more. Is there a Gaf private server yet?

I think those are all good points. Except the bed issue, just because of my experience with Rust, I actually like that you have to do that. People in Rust would put down a bed in some hidden location near your base, or multiple beds in some cases and just keep respawning and coming back while you were raided. Eventually you get a timer, but it isn't that long at first, and overall considering it just becomes a way to harass other players. One bed alone was bad enough, multiple beds was awful.

In Exiles I guess you can build a larger permanent bed later though.

Tizoc

Alright, private, official NeoGAF server is set up.

https://topconanservers.com/server/163.172.78.59:39416
It will need some time to launch! Check back later. Name should be "Official NeoGAF Conan Exiles Server" and it has 30 slots for now.
I will have the standard settings for now, but we can change settings if we want. I will be setting up a Discord as well.

Quote for password

Quote for discord
How do i join this server? Do i click your link qnd link my steam account?

derFeef

How do i join this server? Do i click your link qnd link my steam account?

It should show up in the server browser but you can also use steam://connect/163.172.78.59:39416/THEPASSWORD
But the server is not up yet, I will let you guys know!

edit. problems with the server host, seems like most of the users are having problems. That might take a while :(
edit2. if everything is set up, it would be neat to have a sub user who can restart the server and the likes!

Tizoc

It should show up in the server browser but you can also use steam://connect/163.172.78.59:39416/THEPASSWORD
But the server is not up yet, I will let you guys know!

Alright thanks. I'll try to put in some gametime into this in the meantime.

zugzug

It amazes me that Early Access games on steam are allowed to just sit there and say yeah this is planned to be in Early Access for ONE year. Other games get flat out abandoned and still being sold on Steam. Pretty sure every can agree this game will have a discount sale before that year in Early Access is over. Man we are such idiots for the hype of new release.

Tizoc

What exactly am I supposed to do at the start here? Just every other giant enemy can kill me. Am I supposed to go the forest/oasis to the east or something?

derFeef

What exactly am I supposed to do at the start here? Just every other giant enemy can kill me. Am I supposed to go the forest/oasis to the east or something?

The journal/stone kinda tells you to follow the road in the beginning, so yeah oasis would be a good target. Just collect stones/bushes/sticks on your way and craft some tools and clothing - then elvel up and unlock more recipes - and so on. Also don't forget to pick up the water skin in the beginning.

It amazes me that Early Access games on steam are allowed to just sit there and say yeah this is planned to be in Early Access for ONE year. Other games get flat out abandoned and still being sold on Steam. Pretty sure every can agree this game will have a discount sale before that year in Early Access is over. Man we are such idiots for the hype of new release.

That's what they bank on and why I stopped myself and returned it. I've learned my lesson. I still have high hopes for this. I think it's starting stronger than many others, has decent room for unique play and mod capabilities are a big deal. But I need to let it breathe for a bit before I bite. If the developer stays focused for a few months even when sales slow, and we see some cool mods, I'll jump in.

Tizoc

The journal/stone kinda tells you to follow the road in the beginning, so yeah oasis would be a good target. Just collect stones/bushes/sticks on your way and craft some tools and clothing - then elvel up and unlock more recipes - and so on. Also don't forget to pick up the water skin in the beginning.

There's a water skin nearby?!
OK so pick that up, mash R2/L2 and square to pick stuff up as I go along to the eastern area.

derFeef

There's a water skin nearby?!
OK so pick that up, mash R2/L2 and square to pick stuff up as I go along to the eastern area.

Yeah right at the start. You can use it to drink and if you are near water you can use it to fill it up again.

A huge war is about to go down on Twitch, check out any of the top streams. And their base is unreal.

I think something that could be SUPER fun is if we made a GAF server with either 2 or 3 designated "factions". So 50/50 or 33/33/34, to make the raids fair and fun

derFeef

Official NeoGAF Conan Exiles Server is live!
It's located in Germany in the meantime though, but I can move it later to US (would require a backup and restart).
Let me know how this works for you guys - and let us treat is like a test run for now ;)

https://topconanservers.com/server/89.163.250.210:39416
Password (quote to reveal):
Or join directly via steam://connect/89.163.250.210:39416/INSERTPASSWORD

Don't forget to join the Discord:

expect a few hiccups obviously!
Also please launch Exiles without Battleye to see the server, there are some issues currently!
If nothing works and you can't see or join the Server, please try the Steam Server browser and add it manually!

zugzug

so Ive been watching different streamers play this all the big popular guys on the whitelist streamer server and then a couple others playing on regular servers. Question is is the whitelist streamer server settings changed to be easier like health regen much faster. Watching some of the streamers going around full nekkid and killing mobs and NPC humans easily without any danger of death. Then you goto other streamers on regular servers and having the hardest time with crocs or the ostriches.

I'm inclined to believe some settings are set easier. I certainly think Health regen is faster than normal.

If so is this any form of false advertising going on. Just dirty tactics since they gave the game away for free to all the streamers. Even a streamer with only 15 viewers for the full on barbarian edition for free.

derFeef

so Ive been watching different streamers play this all the big popular guys on the whitelist streamer server and then a couple others playing on regular servers. Question is is the whitelist streamer server settings changed to be easier like health regen much faster. Watching some of the streamers going around full nekkid and killing mobs and NPC humans easily without any danger of death. Then you goto other streamers on regular servers and having the hardest time with crocs or the ostriches.

I'm inclined to believe some settings are set easier. I certainly think Health regen is faster than normal.

If so is this any form of false advertising going on. Just dirty tactics since they gave the game away for free to all the streamers. Even a streamer with only 15 viewers for the full on barbarian edition for free.

There are server settings or client settings if you play solo/coop for like everything, including farming and combat. The game on vanilla settings is pretty tough, especially solo.

Khezu

Ya crocs and ostriches will fuck you up.

Most other enemies have been not terrible, but the crocs feel overtuned.

I just run when I see them.

Sucks you can't transfer characters from server to server, not sure I wanna give up my solo character lol I gotten so far so far.

Tizoc

Official NeoGAF Conan Exiles Server is live!
It's located in Germany in the meantime though, but I can move it later to US (would require a backup and restart).
Let me know how this works for you guys - and let us treat is like a test run for now ;)

https://topconanservers.com/server/89.163.250.210:39416
Password (quote to reveal):
Or join directly via steam://connect/89.163.250.210:39416/INSERTPASSWORD

Don't forget to join the Discord:

expect a few hiccups obviously!
Also please launch Exiles without Battleye to see the server, there are some issues currently!
I choose play online, pve but i dont see this server showing at all
Edit- ou it is pvp ok will try again

How is death handled? How long do you have to get your stuff back? Is it like, if you die 5 times your fifth corpse erases the contents of your first one, or something?

Time limit on dropped items like in Ark?

derFeef

If nothing works and you can't see or join the Server, please try the Steam Server browser and add it manually!

I choose play online, pve but i dont see this server showing at all
Edit- ou it is pvp ok will try again

I've been on the Discord trying to get it to work for about 2 hours, it seems like the server host themselves are still trying to synchronise it because the GAF server keeps going online then back offline every now and then.

There are server settings or client settings if you play solo/coop for like everything, including farming and combat. The game on vanilla settings is pretty tough, especially solo.

Which will good as it encourages more group play. Additionally I mean I figure there's little point to leveling if right off the bat you're just smashing enemies in. I can't say for sure if it's balanced or unbalanced in its current state. But I don't mind it being tough. As you gain levels and better gear you should feel markedly more powerful.

Vic_Viper

How do I do this?

Cant seem to join any server though atm. Edit: NVM got connected to one finally.

Seems like the server browser is bugged. sometimes I can search for the Gaf server and find it and sometimes I cant. The couple times I was able to find it, it wouldnt allow me to click on it lol. It would highlight but join was greyed out. Tried other servers and it was like that for all of them.

Wait, this is a game that involves glorifying slavery? Like, you can take slaves and force them to work for you?

And it came out on the first day of Black History Month?

Seems pretty disrespectful.

Top Bottom