• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan O'brian shitalking 40 countries including Haiti

krazen

Trust me, coming from ResetEra to here is a very welcome change. I think most people just don't care enough to read fully and insinuate context.

Oh, we get the “Conan is a hypocrite” point quite fine, we are just pointing out its a bullshit reach but hey, “outrage culture” away.

Why is it a bullshit reach?

Alright, hear me out on this. Maybe the comedian making fun of nearly every country in the world, DOESN'T ACTUALLY hate all of these countries. Perhaps a chance exist that this was possibly done for the sake of making an entertaining tv show segment. But then again, if I was a comedian I'd probably point out the absurdity of someone trying to claim "outrage culture while using something as silly as this as a supposed exposing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is this a real thread?

OP, what the hell are you on about?

ehead

This reminds me of the time when Darksydephil thought Todd & Aaron's Year Awards were real.

Last edited:

Tumle

Thank you for being the one to see what i had meant.

I thought neogaf had changed butobviously not. Im tired of being called alt right or whatever. Ciao gaf, i will see myself out
Who is calling you alt-right?
You can be a trump supporter with out being alt-right..
But other members of gaf are in there right to challenge your opinion.. and i see someone is even agreeing with you, and none of you have been banned..
I don’t think you fully understand what gaf has changed to..
and if you feel dogpiled on, it’s more that most people feels it’s absurd to hold a comedian at the same level as the president(especially when conans words are taken out of context) or believe he’s reason for going there is hypocritical because he didn’t live like a native..
His show is an entertainment show, and he wanted to show the good sides of what our dear leader calls a shithole :)

Last edited:

krazen

Why is it a bullshit reach?

Lets take a quick poll of the crowd, Johnson.

This was a bit he did a decade ago. He insulted every country on the planet. If you're bitter over this, please write him a letter - I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.
It's a comedy sketch where part of the joke is that Conan is being an ass. The thing you're comparing it to is a President being racist.

OH, I just finished the video and he referenced getting mail. I think that it was part of an attempt to get hate mail from every country.
He also "shittalks" Ireland...his name is O'brian...

He's a comedian.
"look many years ago conan make comedy video hypocrit libtuck, keke he virtuwe signal soiboi magagagagaga"

I feel like that's what OP really wanted to say. maybe, idk
haha I remember seeing bits of this back on his old show. Glad someone compiled it all, some of them are hilarious.

And if you find this offensive then comedy isn't for you.
Found a video of Conan being verbally abusive toward his employees. He comes off as a complete bully and jerk. It's time he's held accountable for his behavior.

By your metric every comedian’s jokes = their world view.

Last edited:

Makariel

Who is calling you alt-right?
She left the boards already it seems, but to answer your question you need to look no further than page 1 of this thread. Took literally 2 seconds with a text search in my browser:
Seems the alt right are mad at team coco, guess OP is part of that. SAD

giphy.gif

BANGS

Banned
Is this thread simply meant to point out the hypocrisy of those that give Trump shit about everything to how he speaks too how many scoops of ice cream he gets? I mean, we didn't need to be so specific and make a whole topic just about Conan...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Milkshake Duck confirmed!!!

Mind you I haven't done background on this whole bit, but purely on context clues throughout the vid it looks like a very tongue-in-cheek comedy bit prompted by the network refusing to tell them their audience metrics broken down by country, so they made inflammatory comments to every country on the planet and encouraged everyone outraged by them around the world to send them hate mail over it...which sounds like brilliant, subversive trolling of the corporate overlords of the time to get the metrics they asked for indirectly.

Tumle

She left the boards already it seems, but to answer your question you need to look no further than page 1 of this thread. Took literally 2 seconds with a text search in my browser:

giphy.gif
Ok I’ll give you that 1 poster called her alt-right.. STOP THE DOG PILING!!
I’m pretty sure most of the thread is about criticism of the topic that was created, and the streatching of the truth to fit OP’s views..
I really don’t like the term “whataboutism” but this is the most blatant attempt at it..
Taking things out of context. Not understanding the premise of the joke, and comparing the satirical words of a comedian to the words of the leader of the free world.. why is it so hard to believe that no one can take this topic seriously?
Why are people so sensitive?

Makariel

Ok I’ll give you that 1 poster called her alt-right..
Well, you asked who said alt-right, you got an answer. Not my problem if you don't like the answer :p

OP was taking a joke out of context and throwing toys out of the pram, but is that really reason enough for silly namecalling or "Trumpanzee"? There is a difference between challenging an opinion and simply being rude. What's wrong with a simple "I don't see any problems here"? (as a number of people did indeed write)

Why are people so sensitive?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know, I am still bewildered why so many replies were overly hostile. Given, I also still don't understand what's so bad about the joke on Haiti the OP was pointing towards. Storm in a teacup I guess?

Last edited:

Tumle

Well, you asked who said alt-right, you got an answer. Not my problem if you don't like the answer :p

OP was taking a joke out of context and throwing toys out of the pram, but is that really reason enough for silly namecalling or "Trumpanzee"? There is a difference between challenging an opinion and simply being rude. What's wrong with a simple "I don't see any problems here"? (as a number of people did indeed write)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know, I am still bewildered why so many replies were overly hostile. Given, I also still don't understand what's so bad about the joke on Haiti the OP was pointing towards. Storm in a teacup I guess?
True there was some over reactions in the other direction too..
But I’m still guessing that’s because they thought the topic was reaching a little.. but still no reason for name calling I’ll give you that too😋

Sàmban

Banned
This thread is a perfect example of what I find frustrating when debating Trump supporters. The minute they encounter resistance to their opinions, they complain about being dogpiled or make stuff up about being called racist. It seems there is never any introspection as to why they are feeling dogpiled. Maybe it’s because you might have said something absurd? For example, I think it is fair to say that sometimes Trump gets shit on for mundane things. However, it is absurd to try to do so by bringing up a comedy bit as a counterpoint to a president calling other countries shitholes.

That’s why this thread backfired. But OP will not bother trying to figure out what he did wrong. He’ll just complain about “the left” or how “gaf hasn’t changed” despite the distinct shift in tone on this forum for the better, having learned absolutely nothing. This is my frustration with “debates” on this forum. People on both sides need to be willing to learn something and admit that maybe they have shitty opinions that need to change.

Last edited:

Naudi

Banned
This thread is a perfect example of what I find frustrating when debating Trump supporters. The minute they encounter resistance to their opinions, they complain about being dogpiled or make stuff up about being called racist. It seems there is never any introspection as to why they are feeling dogpiled. Maybe it’s because you might have said something absurd? For example, I think it is fair to say that sometimes Trump gets shit on for mundane things. However, it is absurd to try to do so by bringing up a comedy bit as a counterpoint to a president calling other countries shitholes.

That’s why this thread backfired. But OP will not bother trying to figure out what he did wrong. He’ll just complain about “the left” or how “gaf hasn’t changed” despite the distinct shift in tone on this forum for the better, having learned absolutely nothing. This is my frustration with “debates” on this forum. People on both sides need to be willing to learn something and admit that maybe they have shitty opinions that need to change.

I would agree with this but there is literally nothing I can learn from your average trump supporter lol.

TrainedRage

Banned
I would agree with this but there is literally nothing I can learn from your average trump supporter lol.
I support Trump. Did you know that in 1999 the Senate voted to acquit President Clinton on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice?
....There you just learned something from a Trump supporter. Did your mind explode into a billion pieces or was your hyperbole just another shallow dis of people you don't politically agree with? THIS is the problem, grouping everyone into little clubs and judging them ALL based on what group they are in.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
This is not a good comment to be honest. It’s not like Trump supporters just support Trump and that’s all they do. At the very least, I’d think there are some selection pressures that make the ones on this forum worth engaging.

Darryl

Banned
Milkshake Duck confirmed!!!

Mind you I haven't done background on this whole bit, but purely on context clues throughout the vid it looks like a very tongue-in-cheek comedy bit prompted by the network refusing to tell them their audience metrics broken down by country, so they made inflammatory comments to every country on the planet and encouraged everyone outraged by them around the world to send them hate mail over it...which sounds like brilliant, subversive trolling of the corporate overlords of the time to get the metrics they asked for indirectly.

What OP is doing is basically holding Conan to the standard that Conan held Trump to. This clip is taken out of context to show him being (if you are lacking integrity) racially insensitive. What Conan did was take a behind-the-doors comment, lacking all non-verbal nuance, lacking all contextual nuance, about an issue that is ridiculously hard to discuss (if a nation is a shithole, are the people and their underlying races fundamentally shit? why do nation's become shit?). This is a discussion that can be extremely hard to grasp and discuss, because the reason's that nation's can become troubled are vast/come from every direction/are complex. Most of them have nothing to do with race. If you hold Conan to the standard that he held Trump to and were willing to write his language into the worst possible form, he'd be clearly racist from this clip.

I love Conan, I think he's hilarious. He dove so far off the deep-end with this stupid fucking Haiti shtick that he deserves to be hung up a bit

Naudi

Banned
I support Trump. Did you know that in 1999 the Senate voted to acquit President Clinton on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice?
....There you just learned something from a Trump supporter. Did your mind explode into a billion pieces or was your hyperbole just another shallow dis of people you don't politically agree with? THIS is the problem, grouping everyone into little clubs and judging them ALL based on what group they are in.

No you didn't teach me anything. Also note I said average trump supporter, the deplorable type that froths at the mouth over ILLEGALS and Obama. I work around them, my family is like that too . And yes I can honestly say they are all too dumb to teach me a single thing. Maybe you are the above average trump supporter lol. There may be a few of them I guess.

ThisGuy

Whhheeeeewww, that was not funny. Not offended, hardly controversial to me, considering it in its entirety. But man, didn't even smirk.

krazen

What OP is doing is basically holding Conan to the standard that Conan held Trump to. This clip is taken out of context to show him being (if you are lacking integrity) racially insensitive. What Conan did was take a behind-the-doors comment, lacking all non-verbal nuance, lacking all contextual nuance, about an issue that is ridiculously hard to discuss (if a nation is a shithole, are the people and their underlying races fundamentally shit? why do nation's become shit?). This is a discussion that can be extremely hard to grasp and discuss, because the reason's that nation's can become troubled are vast/come from every direction/are complex. Most of them have nothing to do with race. If you hold Conan to the standard that he held Trump to and were willing to write his language into the worst possible form, he'd be clearly racist from this clip.

I love Conan, I think he's hilarious. He dove so far off the deep-end with this stupid fucking Haiti shtick that he deserves to be hung up a bit

One is the President of the Free World, the other has a show on basic cable, canf really compare those standards as has been mentioned a few times in the thread. Trump’s gaffe was the fact that

1)Unlike the Nixon tapes he said it in a room full of politicians
2)He’s got a history of being tone deaf even if you believe in a big liberal deep state conspiracy
3)Like you said its complex, so perhaps its a time to break out the SAT words and ‘compassionate conservatism’ instead of calling suffering third world counties shitholes.

The whole, “OUT OF CONTEXT” shit doesnt work when you’re president, its not a job where they grade on a curve. He fucked up, he gets called out for it. I don’t understand the sympathy for someone who’s been a defacro PR person his own life for his brand particularly where even before this hypernews cycle president’s conversations were always heavily scrutinized because he’s the most important person on the planet. He can push to not have their immigrants come over without calling them a fucking shithole, come on

Last edited:

Ri'Orius

A Trump supporter... who calls people out on hyperbole. Classic.

Or do you think Trump is being sincere when he talks about how he has the best words, the biggest brain, etc.?

Darryl

Banned
One is the President of the Free World, the other has a show on basic cable, canf really compare those standards as has been mentioned a few times in the thread. Trump’s gaffe was the fact that

1)Unlike the Nixon tapes he said it in a room full of politicians
2)He’s got a history of being tone deaf even if you believe in a big liberal deep state conspiracy
3)Like you said its complex, so perhaps its a time to break out the SAT words and ‘compassionate conservatism’ instead of calling suffering third world counties shitholes.

The whole, “OUT OF CONTEXT” shit doesnt work when you’re president, its not a job where they grade on a curve. He fucked up, he gets called out for it. I don’t understand the sympathy for someone who’s been a defacro PR person his own life for his brand particularly where even before this hypernews cycle president’s conversations were always heavily scrutinized because he’s the most important person on the planet. He can push to not have their immigrants come over without calling them a fucking shithole, come on

I don't like this Trumpcentrism. I only brought him up to try to navigate why this was insensitive coming from Conan. I expect idiotic and crass things from Trump, but I actually had some respect for Conan.

Makariel

This thread is a perfect example of what I find frustrating when debating Trump supporters. The minute they encounter resistance to their opinions, they complain about being dogpiled or make stuff up about being called racist. It seems there is never any introspection as to why they are feeling dogpiled.
Trump supporters say exactly the same thing about "the other", claiming they immediately hide behind straw men and hurt feelings and make stuff up about everyone being racist. It seems there is never any introspection as to why they see resistance. It's almost as if they usually just discuss their ideas with like-minded folks within their own echo chamber, and the minute they talk to someone with an opposing view they simply can't handle it. Just listening to the arguments from the other side already equates to defeat. There can be no quarter given, concessions to any opposing worldview is pretty much treason. Sounds familiar? ;)

I'm certain a few will now immediately jump to the nonsensical conclusion I would be a Trump supporter*, for the blasphemy of not assuming "all Trump supporters are stupid, my opinion is the only correct one". Seems like the words of Socrates are lost on some.

* I do give not a flying shit about Trump. I'm not US citizen, I have no vote in that country. I follow US politics as far as it affects me as regular business traveler.

BANGS

Banned
This thread is a perfect example of what I find frustrating when debating [political fanboys]. The minute they encounter resistance to their opinions, they complain about being dogpiled or make stuff up... ...It seems there is never any introspection as to why they are feeling dogpiled. Maybe it’s because you might have said something absurd?

FTFY...

Top Bottom