• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept art for Grasshopper's next game (No More Heroes 3?)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not Killer Is Dead. The one after that. Figured a thread was in order.

aYjL3EN.jpg

3JhtZ7x.jpg

kcsK0oE.jpg

Theory is it's No More Heroes 3, because the chick in the first shot is a splitting image of Shinobu, who was a major character in both games.

shinobu6sc0n.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's what they said about the game from the last thread:

Polygon said:
*There's a lot more content up here.*

For GungHo, part of the motivation for the deal also lay in the fact that Grasshopper had experience with console development and the Unreal Engine, both things that Morishita wanted to see his outfit get more into. "If our creators can work closely in tandem with each other, then we don't have to worry about putting limits on the possibilities involved," he added. "We're not setting out to just make pretty, high-spec graphics; we just don't want to give up on something we want to make because we don't have the technical knowledge. We aren't seeking that much synergy with everything, though. Really, how much fun stuff we can get out of this is the important thing."

(Suda was quick to note that Killer Is Dead (above), announced January and due for U.S. release by Xseed Games, is still coming out as scheduled. "There's Killer Is Dead and another title we haven't announced yet," he said, "but I think it's the new Grasshopper Manufacture's highest priority to get these titles completed and made into the best games they can. So hopefully I can put concerns about that to rest.")

So what is Grasshopper and GungHo working on, exactly? Suda and Morishita showed off a few concept renders for a new title in the Famitsu interview, revealing environments that resemble a near-future slum with some Asian elements.

"Yusuke Kozaki, who's been working with us ever since No More Heroes, drew these," Suda explained. "This is the new Grasshopper's first title, so we're having him really nail down the art-related stuff first here. I suppose it's become darker and more strongly flavored as we've gone through concept meetings with it, to the point where I wondered if it was really okay to go forward with some of this stuff. Normally, by this point, I'd have someone saying to me 'Hold on, don't go that way, that's not good marketing-wise.'"

The concept art also revealed a young woman carrying a sword-perhaps little surprise, given the nature of Grasshopper's past output. "One of our goals here is to have a main character of the sort that hasn't really appeared before in games, or in action games," Suda said. "I think we've achieved that from a pretty early point. The base of the game will be centered around slashing action, which our company is good at, but I'd also like to take advantage of GungHo's power and knowledge that we didn't have before. We're taking full consideration of online and offline aspects as we work on this."

The as-yet-unnamed title is being produced for consoles, although neither Suda nor Morishita would comment on which current or next-gen ones they're considering.
The game's release won't be that far in the future, however: "We have a general idea of when we want to release it," Morishita said, "but we aren't putting anything in stone yet. We want to take the time to polish this game as much as possible, to the point where the quality is such that this game is 100-percent fun to people."

"I think we'll have more to show by the fall," Suda added, "so I hope you'll look forward to it!"
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/27/41...e-head-discusses-the-gungho-teamup-and-his-as

Weird that a mod made a second thread. XD

I hope it's Wii U exclusive, we were kinda promised. :( Besides didn't Heroes Paradise bomb on PS3?

Dascu

Definitely would not mind a darker NMH3 starring Shinobu.

It just feels a little bit odd to do another game like this. Killer is Dead practically sounds like the next NMH.

Also my usual comments:
- Release and localize The Silver Case on whatever platform is possible.
- Go back to the old style of unique adventure games.
- Get your stuff on PC.

Oh, I hope it is NMH3. I think it will be multiplatform to maximize the sales. Making a game like this exclusive to the Wii U would be a huge risk right now I think.

Takao

Banned
I'm not so sure it's related to No More Heroes. This is supposedly the first game developed under Gungho's ownership, and IIRC MarvelousAQL owns the NMH IP.

WhyMe6

Wow, that art style suggests a more muted, atmosphere, noir-esque, character-driven type of game. And starring Shinobu? Would be wonderful. Can't wait!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope it's Wii U exclusive, we were kinda promised. :( Besides didn't Heroes Paradise bomb on PS3?

An assuredly UE3, maybe UE4 game, exclusively released on a system with awful market penetration, from a company that is on the verge of its third-in-a-row UE3 console game not released on a Nintendo system.

I don't think it's going to be exclusive by a long shot :p

Mr. Patch

First pic definitely looks like Shinobu. If it's NMH related, it looks like it's about what Shinobu was doing between the first and second games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that art style suggests a more muted, atmosphere, noir-esque, character-driven type of game. And starring Shinobu? Would be wonderful. Can't wait!

I think it's starring the other girl who's on the ground out in the rain.

Guess this is either a new city or a much more futuristic take on Santa Destroy. Shinobu looks like she might be older so it could be either or I guess

and I wouldn't read too much into tone from the concept art. ESPECIALLY if this is No More Heroes 3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think the game is supposed to star the girl from the second image (who seems to be on the floor in the first image).

wrowa

"This is the new Grasshopper's first title"

I doubt the new Grasshopper's first game would be a sequel to one of their old franchises. That would defeat its point, wouldn't it? I think it's a spiritual successor at best, also because I assume that MMV owns at least parts of the NMH franchise. After being bought by GungHo, I can't see Grasshopper working with another Japanese publisher again. At least for now.

Definitely not Nintendo exclusive either. No chance for that, considering GungHo's output. They are barely supporting Nintendo platforms as it is, there's no way they suddenly have their probably biggest studio working on an exclusive. Whatever Suda said in the past is completely irrelevant now, he's not the one to decide anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I doubt the new Grasshopper's first game would be a sequel to one of their old franchises. That would defeat its point, wouldn't it? I think it's a spiritual successor at best, also because I assume that MMV owns at least parts of the NMH franchise. After being bought by GungHo, I can't see Grasshopper working with another Japanese publisher again. At least for now.

Definitely not Nintendo exclusive either. No chance for that, considering GungHo's output. They are barely supporting Nintendo platforms as it is, there's no way they suddenly have their probably biggest studio working on an exclusive. Whatever Suda said in the past is completely irrelevant now, he's not the one to decide anymore.

The main way I could see it being NMH is if GungHo bought the rights.

I can't imagine the IP makes Marvelous much money these days, so the cash infusion might be more useful.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you hope it's wiiu exclusive?

It'd be interesting if Suda lived up to his claim. That NMH3 would be on the next Nintendo platform and specifically take advantage of the new controller

but I'm pretty sure that was just another empty promise from the guy. Except I wouldn't blame him for that because that makes no business sense.

I think alot has changed for Grasshopper between now and when he was doing interviews for NMH2. They've had success on PS360 that they probably couldn't have dreamed of when they were making that game

Takao

Banned

Yeah, I was thinking this would be the case too. However:

ySXs3gd.jpg

Marvelous doesn't seem to be too concerned with letting their IPs be published by a different company. Though that situation is a bit different as New Little King's Story was developed internally at the company.

EatChildren

It'd be interesting if Suda lived up to his claim. That NMH3 would be on the next Nintendo platform and specifically take advantage of the new controller

but I'm pretty sure that was just another empty promise from the guy. Except I wouldn't blame him for that because that makes no business sense.

I think alot has changed for Grasshopper between now and when he was doing interviews for NMH2. They've had success on PS360 that they probably couldn't have dreamed of when they were making that game

Yeah. I think it's really just in the logistics of the matter. Games aren't made on sweet dreams and whimsical fuckery. They cost money and need to make money. If an exclusive No More Heroes on the Wii U does not make for sensible business (and I doubt it does), then it won't happen, and no amount of wishful thinking and faux promises / franchise legacy can justify making it so.

I mean, if Grasshopper were to say "No More Heroes 3 is being built from the ground up for the Wii U to take full advantage of the controller in unique ways" I'd be 100% down for it. But I also don't want Grasshopper to go out of business, and I know they're in the business of business like every other developer.

As a side note, Suda did enforce post-NMH2 that Travis' story was well and truly over. No More Heroes 3 focusing on a new set of characters, with some cameos, and set in the same universe would be right on par.

Morts

Never got the love for Shinobu, and her levels in NMH2 were crap. I hope this is something new, and if NMH3 happens eventually (which i'd love to see) we get more Travis.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this is NMH3 and I do hope it does hit the Wii U, as it'll be my platform of choice until I get a PC.

Though if it ends up coming to 360, I'll bust it out for NMH3 for sure.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I would be all over a Wii U NMH3 with Shinobu as the main character. I can see Nintendo doing a Bayonetta 2 type deal.

If its NMH3 hell yesss. I guessing it will be multiplatform. PS3 versions of NMH sold much better than the Wiis and after the commercial succes of Lollipop Chainsaw I am sure Grasshopper will go multi.

I'm up for NMH3 or a spinoff with Shinobu regardless of platform. Grasshopper did an amazing job with the wii-mote in NMH. I absolutely loved slicing the wii-mote to finish people off, and always looked forward to Silvia's phone call through the wii-mote prior to each boss fight. Perhaps Grasshopper will put the WiiU pad to good use, because so far I haven't seen much that proves it to be more than a gimmick.

Takao

Banned
I would be all over a Wii U NMH3 with Shinobu as the main character. I can see Nintendo doing a Bayonetta 2 type deal.

So you expect the game to have been canceled at one point? I doubt Gungho would buy Grasshopper and then cancel a sequel to one of their most successful releases if they were in a position to own the IP.

EDarkness

I'd be totally down for No More Heroes 3, but I hope it features Travis Touchdown. Just isn't the same game without him. Shinobu would be fine, too. I didn't have too much trouble with her levels, but I wish they would have tightened up the jumping a bit.

Ridley327

Umbrella Girl certainly does look a hell of a lot like Shinobu. I guess the question would be is that if it is NMH3, how is it coming about with the ownership situation between the developer and the IP being what it currently is.

Also, Suda did say that a sequel would come to Nintendo's next system, but I don't recall him ever saying it'd be exclusive.

WhyMe6

I think the game is supposed to star the girl from the second image (who seems to be on the floor in the first image).

Ah, good point. Looking a bit more at that second image, is it suggesting a bit of stealth gameplay may be involved?

No reason at all for it to be exclusive, and it would have to support traditional controls so there is no reason to want it exclusive besides the usual fanboy crap

I imagine this will be cross gen though

Ridley327

If it is NMH3, I wonder if the other character could possibly be Sylvia's daughter Jeane from the ending of the first game. Yeah, I know that most of that ending was a joke, but it is Suda.

Wouldn't it be amazing if in this game the final boss aka the number one assassin is Travis and you have to kill him. They could do it throughout the entire series so the in the next sequel the final boss is the MC of the previous game.

Why the fuck would you hope it's a wii u exclusive?

They want to justify their purchase of the console.

Fandangox

I really hope is No More Heroes 3.

But playing as Shinobu was awful. If she's the main character I hope they fix the issues with her platforming.

Wouldn't it be amazing if in this game the final boss aka the number one assassin is Travis and you have to kill him. They could do it throughout the entire series so the in the next sequel the final boss is the MC of the previous game.

They want to justify their purchase of the console.

Hahaha. Makes sense. Is the console really that bad?

Top Bottom