• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Art From Crytek's Unfinished (Canceled?) Fantasy Game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that one of Crytek Budapest's employees has posted up a bunch of concept artwork from an unfinished (canceled?) fantasy game. I thought it was pretty interesting.

I think we actually saw part of this, since there's a seen with destroyed ships next to a falling apart castle, which was part of their CryEngine 3 tech demo.

I rehosted them most of them here in case they get taken down.

A few highlights:

scorpiofinalcopygih1.jpg

untitled-32copy2copywiln.jpg

gate3wfacepluq.jpg

hiveinterior2copy9ly0.jpg

jungletemple2copyxb4n.jpg

piramis2verscopygc9g.jpg

water6wh0t.jpg

waterbuild2xfuu.jpg

e_00124zarh.jpg

prisoncaveah6d.jpg

The rest:

Source: http://translate.googleusercontent....le.com&usg=ALkJrhj153CYq6YDab83K7aEpt0hUkN1xw (There's more here)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
abstract alien said:
I would have really liked to see their engine put to use on something like this...
Assuming this is canceled, here's a picture of something we're getting instead. :p

0000445558.JPG

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know people here love Crysis, but one of my major problems with the game was its overly realistic environments. Amazing looking jungles, but once I was through the game I no longer cared as it all looked the same.

I would have adored the power of CryEngine 2 to be behind stuff like this, and would have much rathered the engine been pushed with stuff like this.

ymmv

Banned
Based on the concept art I can see why Crysis dropped the game. Boring stuff. I've seen concept art for canceled games that made me rage at the lost possibilities. Not this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
szaromir said:
I think these are for Codename Kingdoms?
Stumpokapow said:
Yeah, are we sure these aren't from Codename: Kingdoms?
Well, on the site we get these two comments:

Site said:
Some concept art I made at Crytek in 2009. Only these pictures I am able to publish unfinished project ...
Site said:
I have sample works available Which Do not fall into the NDA agreements with these projects yet to be revealed Which you can view to get an idea the quality of work I can provide.

Also, this piece of art:

e_00124zarh.jpg

Looks like this from their GDC demo video:

gdc-demo_screen59ico.jpg

Cevat Yerli was also saying that a lot of the stuff in that video was from their various canceled games. I'm not sure if he said all of it was though. Unfortunately, the statement was in a video interview, so it's a bit tricky to find.

markao

Nirolak said:
Assuming this is canceled, here's a picture of something we're getting instead. :p

It's a different studio (Asia/Seoul), Budapest is working on the XBox 360 Kingdoms title, so you never know what might come out of that studio. And seeing the guy that created this fantasy world is also working on it, there is still hope it will not be just another FPS ;)

But I do wish more games would look like more their concept art direction :(

Nirolak said:
Cevat Yerli was also saying that a lot of the stuff in that video was from their various canceled games. I'm not sure if he said all of it was though. Unfortunately, the statement was in a video interview, so it's a bit tricky to find.
I remember the same statement, but also do not have a video link at hand, but pretty sure you are right about that ;)

Top Bottom