• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concert Experience

Mondai

I am finally going to my first concert and as luck would have it , it's on my favorite bands (Incubus), GAF, how were your concert experiences like and is anyone else going on October 4?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm pretty stoked to see Iron Maiden again in Phoenix on the 17th. I fully transparently scheduled a work trip around being in town for that and my boss is like yep, works for me. Right now I'm pretty much planning on going alone though because nobody seems to give a shit about one of the greatest bands ever 🥁

kingbean

I'm pretty stoked to see Iron Maiden again in Phoenix on the 17th. I fully transparently scheduled a work trip around being in town for that and my boss is like yep, works for me. Right now I'm pretty much planning on going alone though because nobody seems to give a shit about one of the greatest bands ever 🥁

Saw them with Megadeth as openers. Great show other than a few fucking new stinkers they felt like the needed to play. They sounded on point though.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Saw them with Megadeth as openers. Great show other than a few fucking new stinkers they felt like the needed to play. They sounded on point though.

I think this tour is all older stuff. I've seen the same setlist for at least three shows people recorded and put on youtube and it all seems like shit I want to hear. They didn't play Hallowed Be Thy Name when I saw them and I hope they fix that this time, one of the best songs ever.

GV82

Concerts if they are good can be the best feeling in the world, you can feed off the energy and still feel it a day or two later.

A great Natural High, for me whether it was Seeing Iron Maiden in London twice covering their great hits back catalogue or seeing them in my home country the other 5 times with a very energetic stage show like no other at their age, to seeing Bruce Springsteen and the crowd knowing the words to all his hits to seeing Gojira for the first as a support act and they were so good that I left 1/2 through the main acts set because they paled in comparison.

One time I saw Alice Cooper (with twisted sister) , Cradle of Filth. (With Cathedral) & Motörhead (with girlschool) 3 separate gigs all in one week.

I was also at the Foofighters concert that they filmed for dvd at Hyde Park in London , I paid extra for golden circle tickets which meant I was able to get closer to the stage. The support acts were Angels & Airwaves 😐👽, Juliette Lewis & the Licks, Queens of The Stone Age, Motörhead & headlined by the Foos, it was a great time especially Lemmy getting onstage to sing the Probot Song with the Foos & then seeing Brian May & Roger Taylor of Queen with the Foos later on at the same show was surreal especially as I was too young to have seen Queen live (with Freddie) so to see even just the two members was great, it felt like watching music royalty and so that is a concert that will always stay with me and it’s not even the best show I have seen.

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
I used to go a lot to metal concerts but as I get older my taste in music changed and now i love going to trance festivals. I've always had really positive experience on this kind of parties.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I'm in my mid-30s, I definitely still go to shows like I'm in my 20s. Will be going to some concerts in Austin in the next few weeks.

Gargus

Banned
I've been to quite a few concerts and for the most part they don't do anything for me.

Although I saw ghost at a theater last year, danzig at a mid sized venue in the 90s, acdc at a arena in the 90s and each one was awesome for different reasons and i had a lot of fun at them. Other concerts I'd been to were varying levels of boredom and mild interest.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I've been to 100+ metal shows. I used to go to one every week or two when I was younger.

Some of my favorite shows: Epica, Slayer, Opeth, Within Temptation, Type O Negative

Iron Maiden puts on a good show. I think I saw them with Dream Theather if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
All the performers I’ve seen live

Pretty much every old school hip hop artist, from Run DMC to Digital Undergound

Pete Seeger/Arlo Guthrie ( first concert )
Yes
Howard Jones
Michael Jackson ( Bad tour Wurzburg, Germany )
New Edition
Kenny Loggins

The last concert I went to was The Beastie Boys To the Five Boroughs tour almost 15 years ago. Their last tour. I don’t think anything will ever top that.

Dark Star

I've been to about a dozen concerts, mostly metal bands. Good times. Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth was my very first death metal moshpit experience when they toured back in 2015... Damn, that was amazing. I went with my friend and we both looked like we survived a war zone afterwards haha. Totally thrashed.

The most chill concert was Com Truise at a pretty small venue. Everyone was sparking up joints and tripping out lol. I've been to a few festivals as well, all outdoor, big stage, thousands of people ... It's not the best "sounding" concert, but it's always fun because it's summer time vibes and you can really enjoy the social experience of a live show.

Speaking of Incubus, this is one of the GREATEST live performances EVER!

Last edited:
I've been to one.... And my last one too. Let's just say that the singers sound like ass and truly mediocre. Can't believe I was persuaded on going to a live concert back in 2010. It was The Black Eyed Peas.... You can laugh now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've been to one.... And my last one too. Let's just say that the singers sound like ass and truly mediocre. Can't believe I was persuaded on going to a live concert back in 2010. It was The Black Eyed Peas.... You can laugh now.

Mainstream pop acts are often terrible live, since they're manufactured by marketing and producers and engineers. You live and learn. Tons of bands are amazing live, so give it another shot someday.

Mainstream pop acts are often terrible live, since they're manufactured by marketing and producers and engineers. You live and learn. Tons of bands are amazing live, so give it another shot someday.
Can you give me some good examples on good live band performances? I'm open to many music genre.

I used to go to concerts once a week about 15-20 years. Then one day i realized i would get really depressed after because i wanted to be the creative one and i hated being so passive. I also realized music as a cultural impact was on its last legs. I promised myself i would never see another show until i became an artist myself..well the latter part did happen..working on the music part now.

Last show i went to was flying to London for a week to see Suede play 3 nights and their first 3 albums back to back in Brixton. Been to too many other concerts to name.

Its hard to be not terrible when youre just going through the pavlonian motions.

In my early 30's but i've been going to concerts since my teen years. First one was Dope when Die MF Die was first dropping and my next one is the Louder than Life tour (All 3 days!!!!!!) in september for my birthday.

Mr Hyde

My first concert experience was Snoop Dogg and the No Limit Crew he was rolling with at the time. I was 16 or 17 and stoned out of my goddamn mind. It was a bloody good time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Went to Mono a couple days ago. Good shit.

Going to Helmet on Saturday. Good shit.

Going to see Street Sects for the first time the week after that. I hope it's good shit.

Then 311 the week after that. I hope it's still good shit. It was good shit 20 years ago.

What concerts are you guys going to lately?

Last edited:

Orpheum

Back when i was around 16-22 i went to a fuckton of concerts, all in the metal genre.Also I started playing in a Band 10 years ago and we played a whole bunch every year as well (from Festivals to Tours, pretty much everything). So as of right now (I'm 26) i'm pretty burnt out and i don't really enjoy it as much. Playing concerts is still cool but organizing is a chore and i don't crawl up peoples asses anymore to get a spot at the next festival. So From around 12 concerts a year we went down to like 2 or 3 but that's fine...

The last concert i went to was Rammstein and it was glorious...well it's Rammstein and i wanted to have the opportunity to see them before they quit and i never got the chance before. The next one will be something entirely different - Ghostmane next year in March. Really looking forward to it, never been to a rap concert^^

VulcanRaven

They are great live. I saw them on The Final Frontier tour on 2011. Alice Cooper was the supporting band.

All the performers I’ve seen live

Pretty much every old school hip hop artist, from Run DMC to Digital Undergound

Pete Seeger/Arlo Guthrie ( first concert )
Yes
Howard Jones
Michael Jackson ( Bad tour Wurzburg, Germany )
New Edition
Kenny Loggins

The last concert I went to was The Beastie Boys To the Five Boroughs tour almost 15 years ago. Their last tour. I don’t think anything will ever top that.
I'm jealous. I never saw MJ live but Bad Tour looks like the best tour. There are some great videos of that concert on Youtube.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Havn't been to a concert in a few years, always went into what would be described as the mosh pit. For me, a better experience.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gonna travel UK > Belgium for Rock Werchter next year. They always have insane lineups but I only realised last year, so I've been waiting for 2020 to get announced and it hasn't disappointed so far:

Thursday: Wilco, Pixies, Pearl Jam
Friday: No-one yet, 1-2 big bands expected
Saturday: The Streets, Twenty One Pilots, Kendrick Lamar
Sunday: Yungblud, Thom Yorke, System of a Down

Mental.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I have always wondered how concerts are legally able to play their music so loud. Like any concert I've been to ever been to, the sound levels were absolutely causing some degree of hearing damage. It just doesn't make sense to me A) why people "enjoy" this volume when it could be halved and still be considered loud inside the venue, and B) how the event operators are able to play music at a high and sustained volume for literally hours that will cause hearing damage.

I've been an old man at heart for over 20 years so I'm just not really into concerts at all anymore. The way I feel about going to see a live performance is about the same as I feel about movies - why would I want to pay top dollar to go stand with a bunch of drunken morons, get hearing damage from the volume levels, have a hoarse voice the next day from screaming at the top of my lungs just to communicate with by buddy standing next to me, the overpriced drinks, the fact that many bands sound better on the album, etc. For me it's just a better and more controlled experience at home that doesn't cause physical damage, I get very little out of being able to say "I saw them live".

Best concert I saw in years was John Prine with my dad a few holidays ago.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have always wondered how concerts are legally able to play their music so loud. Like any concert I've been to ever been to, the sound levels were absolutely causing some degree of hearing damage. It just doesn't make sense to me A) why people "enjoy" this volume when it could be halved and still be considered loud inside the venue, and B) how the event operators are able to play music at a high and sustained volume for literally hours that will cause hearing damage.

I've been an old man at heart for over 20 years so I'm just not really into concerts at all anymore. The way I feel about going to see a live performance is about the same as I feel about movies - why would I want to pay top dollar to go stand with a bunch of drunken morons, get hearing damage from the volume levels, have a hoarse voice the next day from screaming at the top of my lungs just to communicate with by buddy standing next to me, the overpriced drinks, the fact that many bands sound better on the album, etc. For me it's just a better and more controlled experience at home that doesn't cause physical damage, I get very little out of being able to say "I saw them live".
I take high quality ear plugs to every show, and have for over 20 years. I never go without it.

Nymphae

Banned
I take high quality ear plugs to every show, and have for over 20 years. I never go without it.

Venues should provide some sort of protection for purchase or something, because it's literally damaging their patrons. Imagine if you had to bring eye protection to a movie because the way the medium was presented was causing eye damage or something. It's a weird thing people put up with imo. People will literally brag about ringing in their ears the next day lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Venues should provide some sort of protection for purchase or something, because it's literally damaging their patrons. Imagine if you had to bring eye protection to a movie because the way the medium was presented was causing eye damage or something. It's a weird thing people put up with imo. People will literally brag about ringing in their ears the next day lol.
Yeah those people are idiots. Knowing musicians always educated me on that. No sound guy or musicians are playing without earplugs usually. Venues sell cheap ones. I got good ones that are like $30 so I wouldn't want to buy them for every show. I just keep it and put it in the case it came in.

You're not wrong though. People don't take it seriously.

Hinedorf

Banned
I am finally going to my first concert and as luck would have it , it's on my favorite bands (Incubus), GAF, how were your concert experiences like and is anyone else going on October 4?

I was quite the concert rat for most of my young adult life. I had seen Incubus open for I believe it was either Goldfinger or Voodoo Glowskulls in the late 90's and they were fucking awesome. They brought out Ausie instruments and were wildly unique but had a very punk sound. Then I heard them on the radio and thought they were complete and utter shit compared to what I had heard live, granted I liked the punk stuff not the radio hits you like.

Best piece of advice I can give you for a live show, CASH IS KING. You'll probably want a shirt or something to remember your show and more often than not these shops are cash only so plan ahead if you're looking to pick up some merch to remember the experience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lots of shows are selling tickets for the summer already. Lot of festivals and tours announcing. Seems packed.

I already got several tickets so far.

1) Failure is doing 3 nights in a row in 3 cities this summer. First night is their first album. Second night is their entire second album. Third night is their entire third album. What a blowout. I've seen them live once and it was one of the best sounding concerts ever. Complete professionals.

2) Deftones, Gojira and Poppy just went on sale for their summer tour.

3) Incubus and 311 tour this summer. They're not as popular these days as they used to be, but I think 311 is still killing it live. Should be a good summer show. I don't really like Incubus honestly. Maybe 1 song.

Are you 16?
I hope you enjoy and have a blast.

I've been to a couple of concerts, Vader, Jinjer and a few local bands. It was alright.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my first concert was in 2001. it was a festival where Marilyn Manson, Eminem, Papa Roach, QOTS, Travis, Green Day, and Iggy pop were playing. at the time i was 10 years old. i only went because my cousin wanted to go see Marilyn Manson and I wanted to see Eminem. we were away at the back just a couple of kids having fun. My cousin at the time was 13. Of course my mum and auntie were there with us lol.

my next concert was in 2002 (can't remember which month) and that was a Sum 41 concert with American Hi Fi + The Mighty Bosstones. My dad took me, i wore my Marilyn Manson hoodie (lol), and we had seating tickets. I'm not sure if there were anymore concerts between 2002-2004 but in 2004 my uncle took me to see The Darkness. He got super drunk and he even let me have a couple beers. We had such a great time.

My first one that I went to without my parents/family was Green Day in 2005. My mum won tickets and she let me + my girlfriend go together.

After that I was going to concerts all the time with my friends. If there was tickets for our favourite bands going on sale (Green Day/Sum 41 mostly) then we'd stay over at someones house then get up at like 11PM and skate into the city to camp outside the ticket shop. We'd be sitting/sleeping outside in the cold/rain for about 9 hours until the shop opened. When the day of the concert finally came around we'd do the same again except to get there early so we'd get near the front of the queue/crowd. This time it was much longer though...we'd get there about midnight and the show of course wouldn't start until like 7pm usually so that's about 19 hours of sitting about.

For Blink 182 when they reunited in 2009 i went to see them a few times. Me and my girlfriend went to see them in her city then we travelled a couple hundred miles to see them in another city and then we went to see them again. Done that loads of times with my friends too...we'd see them at our city then follow them to the next city to see them again.

As time went on it started becoming too much with school + work plus we were just getting tired of sitting about in the cold for the best part of a day. Eventually we just stopped doing it and turned up whenever the doors opened...maybe even later if the support bands were shit. We no longer cared about getting to the front of the crowd and preferred to just chill at the back close to the bar. Now we don't really go to concerts much anymore.

My next concert is in June and it's for Green Day/Fallout Boy/Weezer (just there for Green Day...). i'll probably take the day after off work but I'll be turning up when it opens and chilling at the back drinking beers on my own since nobody is able to come with me :p

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my first concert ever was seeing the Beach Boys sometime during the 80s. i think it was at a fair or something. it was the summer of their hit "Kokomo" LOL...

appaws

Banned
As you know, Chicagoans are a superior race. We call them "shows." Never "concerts." If you say "I'm going to a concert" in Chicago people will look at you funny. We understand that lesser races illogically hold on to their terrible cultures. We look down on you when you play softball with gloves on, put ketchup on Hot Dogs, or wear coats when it is above freezing.

zerotol

Banned
I saw Steel Pole Bath Tub a few times in the 90s and they were one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. Singer/guitarist was Mike Morasky, I’m pretty sure he works for Valve these days and does music for Portal and Left 4 Dead.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I went to a Trance parties and festivals, not one band, it has been good so far. I mean stuff like this (well I was there):

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
My most memorable concert was when I was in College and it was the Headstones. It was one of the most violent moshpits I've ever experienced.

Here's the song they started with:

My second most memorable experience was when I moved from Canada to the US and to Denver. Bad Religion was playing at the Filmore. Greg Gaffin sort of made fun of those of us that were on the upper decks and then they kicked into a song and I swear down below it turned into a swirling whirlpool of destruction. It was awesome.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got tickets for System of a Down in May next year in LA (never been to LA). Faith No More and Helmet are opening. Never seen System of a Down before, but it should be awesome.

Deftones is selling tickets for their rescheduled tour for next May as well. Not coming back to the same places though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom