• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 for Wii.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
any US gaffers with impressions etc?

getting this on the 22nd in the UK also
Grinder better come out on Wii

Effect

PounchEnvy said:
To be fair the Conduit fanbase is pretty dedicated. I bet Sega and HVS think they're enough to make the game profitable.

It also matters how much they spent making it as well. Success can be relative that way. They own the engine they use and I believe HVS said Conduit 1 was profitable for them. Hasn't the game passed or approached 500K lifetime? I recall reading that somewhere but not sure where.

Everyone wants million sellers but sometimes you have to be practical and realistic in your goals.

NewFresh

Watched that video review. Did not know it had a hoard mode. I was already planning on picking it up as soon as I finish portal 2 but that makes me more confident of the purchase.
Effect said:
It also matters how much they spent making it as well. Success can be relative that way. They own the engine they use and I believe HVS said Conduit 1 was profitable for them. Hasn't the game passed or approached 500K lifetime? I recall reading that somewhere but not sure where.

Everyone wants million sellers but sometimes you have to be practical and realistic in your goals.

I have a feeling that since they already have the engine developed, the production costs might have been lower for Conduit 2. Making it easier to make a profit. I remember seeing a figure for a month of sales but not lifetime

Hiltz

Conduit 1 sold over 350k copies as of February 2010.Sega stated that it shipped 150k copies of the game in its first week of release for Europe and North America. The game came out in late June 2009 for North America and July for Europe and Australia.

Boerseun

Banned
Conduit 2 is a guaranteed purchase for me.

I enjoyed The Conduit. And Goldeneye is the best single-player FPS out there this gen. Red Steel 2 is great too. Not to mention, the Wii ports of the Call of Duty games all play well and are arguably more fun than their HD counterparts because of the addition of pointer controls.

On a separate point of interest -- I am hoping we see The Grinder announced by a publisher at E3 as a FPS (not an isometric shooter) on Wii, or better yet, Wii 2.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
M74 said:
I seem to remember them saying in an IGN chat that Grinder and Animales were not likely to get Wii releases.

I heard it was coming around Halloween time this year....they better not drop it..

Effect

M74 said:
I seem to remember them saying in an IGN chat that Grinder and Animales were not likely to get Wii releases.

IGN Chat...hmmm. Animales isn't and I believe HVS said that themselves. Grinder was being changed for the Xbox 360 and PS3 into a top down shooter for their digital services. They didn't say anything regarding the Wii version though. Not that it was canceled or anything. I just assumed at the time they were keeping the Wii version as normal but since they couldn't afford to HD the game they simply changed it and it might not do well with so many other FPS on the other systems. Part of the reason why the Conduit stays on the Wii I believe and possibly getting a game on the 3DS.

Hiltz

HVS basically said that The Grinder for Wii is on hold mainly because it doesn't have a publisher.

The hoard mode in Conduit is apparently more like a death match where you have to search and kill enemies.

Hiltz

abstract alien said:
First was good fun with great controls. I also like how the story tied into actual events in history, so Ill be there. Just please...no more of those damned mines HV. One of the worse design choices ever.

I think HVS stated that the mines were not included in the sequel. :)

Hiltz said:
I think HVS stated that the mines were not included in the sequel. :)
Oh yeah? That's what I like to hear. Gotta love when a company admits its faults and trying to fix them. Thanks HVS, hope to see something from you on 3DS and Wii2 soon :^)

Speaking of 3DS was that Conduit footage actually something in development, or just something to see what the 3DS was capable of? Or both?

Hiltz

abstract alien said:
Oh yeah? That's what I like to hear. Gotta love when a company admits its faults and trying to fix them. Thanks HVS, hope to see something from you on 3DS and Wii2 soon :^)

Speaking of 3DS was that Conduit footage actually something in development, or just something to see what the 3DS was capable of? Or both?

I think it was originally a tech demo but it seems like HVS is interested in porting it over to the 3DS.

Ign's review is up with a 7.5 score.

8.0 presentation
9.0 graphics
6.5 sound
7.5 gameplay
8.5 lasting appeal

"Conduit 2 is a worthy addition to the Wii library, and it’s worth playing for its visuals alone. The fact that gameplay and control operate as well as they do speaks volumes for the talent at High Voltage Software. The problem with Conduit 2 is that it never breaks away from doing what other first-person shooting games have done. It’s not telling the most original story, the action doesn’t feature much diversity, and you’re not going to care about the characters. But if you want action, and you want a strong multiplayer title to fire up and explore, you’ve got a winner here."

[Nintex]

Effect said:
IGN Chat...hmmm. Animales isn't and I believe HVS said that themselves. Grinder was being changed for the Xbox 360 and PS3 into a top down shooter for their digital services. They didn't say anything regarding the Wii version though. Not that it was canceled or anything. I just assumed at the time they were keeping the Wii version as normal but since they couldn't afford to HD the game they simply changed it and it might not do well with so many other FPS on the other systems. Part of the reason why the Conduit stays on the Wii I believe and possibly getting a game on the 3DS.
I believe HVS ran into some trouble after that Legions or something fighting game of theirs bombed. Up untill september last year it seemed that everything was riding on Conduit 2, maybe they've secured 3DS deals since then or maybe they're really fucked when Conduit 2 bombs(you can bet your life savings on this bombing hard).

Effect

Oh it's not going to be a huge success. I think it could do as well as the last game and if that's the case that might be good.

I picked up the game (birthday money :) ) after work today but I never finished Conduit 1 so I've been trying to finish it. I forgot how different the game feels. It's different after coming of playing a lot GoldenEye 007 and Black Ops. It's more Metroid/Halo like (though my experience with Halo is limited to Halo 1 and Halo 2 and I haven't played them in a while). The amount of health enemies have change things more then I remembered. Having aliens willing to rush me in order to melee me as I'm shooting and having various types at the same time makes things interesting. A welcome change after shooting soldiers and terrorist for so long.

I do wonder if some of the dislike some have toward the game could be in part because it isn't CoD like in it's general combat.

Clott

Boerseun said:
Conduit 2 is a guaranteed purchase for me.

I enjoyed The Conduit. And Goldeneye is the best single-player FPS out there this gen. Red Steel 2 is great too. Not to mention, the Wii ports of the Call of Duty games all play well and are arguably more fun than their HD counterparts because of the addition of pointer controls.

On a separate point of interest -- I am hoping we see The Grinder announced by a publisher at E3 as a FPS (not an isometric shooter) on Wii, or better yet, Wii 2.
About goldeneye, yeah you keep telling yourself that.

Doorman

Effect said:
Oh it's not going to be a huge success. I think it could do as well as the last game and if that's the case that might be good.
Not to be a downer, but I'm confident there's no way that will happen. The first Conduit gained a lot of hype pre-release for its graphical capabilities and all the buzz about Wii finally getting a "hardcore FPS" that does the controls right. But ultimately, it came out to mixed reviews and to a mixed fanbase that was quickly assaulted by unchecked hackers and glitches. It was a game with grassroots hype, an actual marketing effort, set new standards for the time with control, served as a flag-bearer for the "support third party games on the Wii", and had relatively little in the way of same-system competition. This sequel lacks just about all of those factors.

I bought the first game and fell out of favor with it fairly quickly. I've been optimistic about the sequel, but I don't plan on buying it soon (though admittedly, a lot of that has to do with how much cash I plunked down for a 3DS a couple of weeks ago), and I don't expect I'm the only one in that boat. I feel bad for High Voltage because I really do appreciate their effort and the vision of supplying the Wii with real "gamer's games," but circumstances haven't panned out in their favor on this.

Effect

In the end I'm still not going to open the game however until few days have past and I see how it's sold. Not point in playing an online game if there aren't a lot of people. GameStop has a 30 days return window right?

I have been known to buy games and return them the very next day if I don't open them. Did this with Black Ops twice before finally getting it used and on the cheap.

I picked this up after class today, and now I'm about an hour in. I'll probably post impressions when I'm a little more into the single player progress-wise. Haven't tried online yet.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hiltz said:
HVS basically said that The Grinder for Wii is on hold mainly because it doesn't have a publisher.

The hoard mode in Conduit is apparently more like a death match where you have to search and kill enemies.

As I said 2 years ago, The Grinder has been moved to Wii2. This is basically the LAST major western 3rd party Wii game so I suggest you guys enjoy it while you can.

NewFresh

Bizzyb said:
As I said 2 years ago, The Grinder has been moved to Wii2. This is basically the LAST major western 3rd party Wii game so I suggest you guys enjoy it while you can.

LEGO® Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios) 13 May

But I get your point

Poyunch

Damn it GT. Why'd you have to spoil what the last level was? It's no big deal this time but why must you spoil such things?

Bizzyb

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
LEGO® Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios) 13 May

But I get your point

Yeah, exclusive hardcore is more like it. Sad really...but understandable and it really makes more and more sense for Nintendo to release Wii 2 as soon as possible. This is going to be a terrible year for Wii.

Penguin

Clott said:

I would put it up there.

I thought it felt a lot different than a ton of shooters on the market. And was a damn fine Bond game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Heart Attack said:
well yeah, he's probably a wii only owner/nintendo fan, as are most of the people posting in this thread

Nope. GoldenEye is easily one of the most polished and enjoyable single player campaigns of this gen. The crime is that ignorant shits write it off for no other reason than it being on the Wii without ever playing it.

NewFresh

Bizzyb said:
Yeah, exclusive hardcore is more like it. Sad really...but understandable and it really makes more and more sense for Nintendo to release Wii 2 as soon as possible. This is going to be a terrible year for Wii.

I still hope that we might get some games like The Last Story or Pandora's Tower over here. There is also the possibility that Kirby Wii might come out, unless they pushed it back for the new system
The crime is that ignorant shits write it off for no other reason than it being on the Wii without ever playing it.
So true. I have tried recommending it to co-workers who basically only play COD and if it is on the Wii then they don't touch it

kunonabi

How does health work in the conduit?

I hate regenerating health and super low health. I really wanted to like Goldeneye online but it kept boiling down to: sneak behind someone > kill them > Get shot in the back and die > repeat.

I'd much prefer something like the older bond games like the original goldeneye or nightfire.

Effect

kunonabi said:
How does health work in the conduit?

I hate regenerating health and super low health. I really wanted to like Goldeneye online but it kept boiling down to: sneak behind someone > kill them > Get shot in the back and die > repeat.

I'd much prefer something like the older bond games like the original goldeneye or nightfire.

GoldenEye 007 Wii has the health pack and armor system.

In Conduit 1 there was health regen but it was slow for the most part. Enemies dropped health packs and some were scattered around. You had a health bar as well and not the blood stain that other FPS have.

PounchEnvy said:
Damn it GT. Why'd you have to spoil what the last level was? It's no big deal this time but why must you spoil such things?
It was in a trailer a month ago, and I want to say it was one of the very first locations I ever saw.

Effect

Here's the link to the Destructoid stream if anyone is interested.

http://www.justin.tv/destructoid#/w/1102358352/6

I did manage to finish Conduit 1 about an hour ago. Last level was a disappointment. Just a wave after wave being sent at you. :( The last city level was really nice though and I think that was my favorite area. I think I would have enjoyed it more so before playing GoldenEye 007 and Call of Duty: Black Ops. The design of the levels most certainly needed work. Still hold the game isn't bad just not great. More open areas was most definitely needed.

Story wise I still like it but I hope the presentation in Conduit 2 is better. With Conduit 1 you have to make a point to listen to the various radio broadcast and news clips on the TVs to get a sense of what is really taking place around you. On paper it sounds good but how they put it together wasn't to good. However I did make a point to stop and listen. The part where you find out where the Drudge come from was a surprise for me. I was thinking something else before that came about.

rpmurphy

Does everybody have "second chance" in MP or is that a perk? Seems to take a lot of hits to die too in that mode!

EDIT: Cool, they're showing Sanctum map.

rpmurphy said:
Does everybody have "second chance" in MP or is that a perk? Seems to take a lot of hits to die too in that mode!
You can be revived, but you can't shoot. Don't think you can be revived if someone scores a headshot, and of course, someone can finish you off while you're down too.

rpmurphy

Bloodworth said:
You can be revived, but you can't shoot. Don't think you can be revived if someone scores a headshot, and of course, someone can finish you off while you're down too.
Thanks. It's looks like that you get the kill without having to finishing them off, which is good.

Ysiadmihi said:
I kind of feel bad that I completely forgot this was coming out. I really enjoyed the original.
They will never know if you buy it and support them lol

ProfessorLobo said:
Why does no one talk about local multiplayer?
It doesn't seem to be popular nowadays for shooters, but its my preferred method.

Mael

Clott said:

It's certainly more interesting than the killzones, call of dutys and probably even halos if it had vehicle sections.
I don't think I need to mention shit like BC:BF games....

Mael said:
It's certainly more interesting than the killzones, call of dutys and probably even halos if it had vehicle sections.
I don't think I need to mention shit like BC:BF games....

Vehicle sections...like the tank level?

Goldeneye is my pick for best SP FPS campaign this gen, too. It's sad that anyone would feel threatened enough by that to feel they have to shit on someone else's enjoyment of such a minor game.

StevieP

Banned
Leondexter said:
Vehicle sections...like the tank level?

Goldeneye is my pick for best SP FPS campaign this gen, too. It's sad that anyone would feel threatened enough by that to feel they have to shit on someone else's enjoyment of such a minor game.

I think I may play it again on Dolphin - great game, that Goldeneye. Much much more entertaining than Crysis 2, for instance (which has worse "radio broadcasts" and voice talent than the Conduit).

I wonder if Conduit 2 works on Dolphin.

Top Bottom