• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 for Wii.

Bizzyb

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Heh, looks like i'm the only one who kinda enjoyed the SP. MP was an unplayable mess though. If they ironed those issues I will take a look into this.

Where do you get that idea. I got just the opposite, i.e. that most people here did enjoy the SP game, to any extent anyways. The game wasn't exactly garbage, just a bit under developed and lacked polish. Still easily playable and enjoyable.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So Nintendo Power's "see it or turn in your Nintendo card" world exclusive was Conduit 2? That's even more disappointing than the predicted Mario Party 9.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
minus_273 said:
no one but the OP has seen this issue of NP.. every other site is saying this is a rumor and linking back to this post..

This is the APRIL issue? seriously guys, you arent going to take this with even the slightest amount of salt?
He posted the cover ffs!

hatchx

Banned
You guys are terrible. The conduit may have been overhyped by IGN and the Nintendo Press conference, but it was a solid outing. It was pretty shallow but I had fun with the single player and the online multiplayer.

This is a day 1 for me though. The fact that it has 2-4 player split-screen sells me. It will make it the ONLY local multiplayer FPS on wii to date (unless some shovelware takes the crown) other than the first Red Steel. Red Steel 1 was a lot of fun in multiplayer if you get over the controls, so I can only imagine Conduit 2 will be better.

Paint me excited.

donny2112

Amir0x said:
It wasn't either this or Go, Diego, Go! Safari Rescue 3 for the Wii. I think they made the right choice.

Pretty sure that would be done by 2KPlay, unless you're saying 2KPlay would outsource to HVS, which isn't out of the realm of possibility (e.g. IronMan 2).

Well with The Conduit as a guide, I'll be waiting for the < 6 months $20 price. Controls are still going to be good, and I'm interested in seeing the continuation of the story. Wonder whether they'll wrap the story up in two or shoot for an open-end for a not-likely-to-happen The Conduit 3.

Also, I just got my Nintendo Power for April. Sheesh! :lol

The Abominable Snowman said:
I think the Wii is allergic to good FPSes

I hear Call of Duty 4 is good, but I haven't started it, yet.

hatchx said:
It will make it the ONLY local multiplayer FPS on wii to date (unless some shovelware takes the crown) other than the first Red Steel.

Apparently Quantum of Solace does. As does the WiiWare water pistol FPS, IIRC.

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
So Nintendo Power's "see it or turn in your Nintendo card" world exclusive was Conduit 2? That's even more disappointing than the predicted Mario Party 9.
Thank god I forgot about that.

Wow.

donny2112

I think we're all missing something here. HVS develops for the PS360 now. Upcoming The Conduit XBLA/PSN for $15 to build (anti?)hype for the multiplatform The Conduit 2?

Lonely1 said:
Some random CoD Ps2 port also does, i think.

Eh? CoD3? CoD4/5 weren't ported from a PS2 version.

Threi

notag
donny2112 said:
I think we're all missing something here. HVS develops for the PS360 now. Upcoming The Conduit XBLA/PSN for $15 to build (anti?)hype for the multiplatform The Conduit 2?
Conduit XBLA/PSN will be a 1v1 2d fighter though so no need to worry.

Luigiv

Cow Mengde said:
Fight monsters Punchout style with super clunky controls for 30 hours. The concept is good how you can't make pointless moves, but the actual game is just clunky and boring. The demo definitely didn't do jack for me.
I can understand if you don't like it, MH isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make the game shit.

For a start, you are you think is "clunky" is actually better described as "deliberate". In reality the controls are pretty smooth and responsive; you just have to a half decent sense of timing. It's not a NG or GoW type affair where you can type out an entire combo in before the first strike hits and then watch the whole thing play itself. In MH, if you hit the attack or evade button during an animation downtime then the button press is completely disregarded (Much like how PS1 and N64 games did it). You need to hit the button at the right time and when you do, you'll get a smooth, instantaneous reaction. Look at the on screen animations, they'll highlight the exact windows for you.

For example, If you want to perform a 2nd strike straight after a first strike, then hitting the attack button in the middle of the swing will do nothing. Instead you have to wait until the moment in the animation between where the swing ends and the character returns to ready stance. If you hit the button during that window, then you'll be treated to an instantaneous reaction. If you're timing sucks, then you can compensate by quickly mashing the button around the window and that'll work too.

Now if this isn't for you, that's fine. However many people do enjoy MH's unique take on combat mechanics so don't act like you're opinion is the only one.

rpmurphy

Ace. TCon and MWR are probably like my two most played Wii games. I loved the online MP of the first a lot, which in my opinion was more fun than COD4 (that is, before people started exploiting map glitches in TCon). The new stuff sounds good, and hopefully they will pay more attention to map and weapon glitches this time. Day one for me. :D

I will probably check this out. I didn't think Conduit was that bad, although there are some ridiculous balancing issues and questionable level design. I think the massive overhype by places like IGN and GAF really didn't do it any favors. For some reason people were duped into expecting some crazy AAA Wii shooter from a dev who had no pedigree of the sort and previews that outside the laughable hype never showed anything but a standard FPS with solid Wii graphics.

donny2112

comedy bomb said:
It's unknown if the original version of The Grinder even exists anymore. :/

Seriously? I thought it was PS3/Wii for the basic game previously shown and some kind of Gauntlet clone for 360.

rpmurphy said:
Ace. TCon and MWR are probably like my two most played Wii games. I loved the online MP of the first a lot, which in my opinion was more fun than COD4 (that is, before people started exploiting map glitches in TCon). The new stuff sounds good, and hopefully they will pay more attention to map and weapon glitches this time. Day one for me. :D

HELLZ YEAH, TCON BRO

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
donny2112 said:
Seriously? I thought it was PS3/Wii for the basic game previously shown and some kind of Gauntlet clone for 360.

I'm not skilled in the art of making animated Gifs. Is it possible to do them with Gimp?

I actually wanted Mario Party 9. ;(

After Red Steel 2 I don't doubt any developers chance to completely turn around a sequel. I'm not saying they will here, I've only spent like 5 seconds on the Conduit so far so I have no idea of its quality, I'm just saying look at RS2 to see that it is possible. :)

donny2112

Lonely1 said:
I'm not skilled in the art of making animated Gifs. Is it possible to do them with Gimp?

That's all I've done them with. I'm not sure it'd actually be worth doing, though. That's why I edited.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Tentatively looking forward to this.

The Conduit had a lot of potential. The actual moment to moment shooting felt as good as any FPS ever has on a console, and the level of customization in controls and HUD needs to become a standard. Unfortunately, the actual level design, art style and enemy encounters weren't all that great. It's like the game was a couple of years ahead of the curve in some ways, but ten years behind in others.

If they can get the problems ironed out, the Conduit franchise could be something special. I will probably give this game a shot.

Vizion28

Banned
Haunted said:
Why are people mentioning Mario Party 9 at all?

Except to hurt me, I mean.

I believe Mario Party 9 will be strategically released around the same time Natal and Move is released to try divert attention from it.

Motion Plus, Balance Board, and maybe even Vitality Sensor compatible? You bet.

ivysaur12 said:
Wait, why aren't we talking about Shantae 2?

Another game I haven't really been following but here goes:

- primarily side scrolling but at certain spots you can jump to foreground /background
- belly dances transform you into a monkey, an elephant or a mermaid
- upgrades for animal forms can be earned
- hair whip upgrades
- 3 types of magic: fireball, pike ball and crush puff
- looks amazing, controls great
- great sense of humor
- estimated length is four and a half hours

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I enjoyed the first game. HVS's work with standardizing the controls has earned my respect.

There are 2 major flaws in the first game:
-Story presentation was non-existent. I feel that had this been better, every other flaw in the single player campaign would have been overlooked. The character and level designs were fairly good (or perhaps, those are areas where other more popular games also struggle in), but the artwork for the environments was both poor and repetitive.

- The netcode was broken. I had lot of fun with the multi-player, there were a lot of modes and lag wasn't any worse than any other FPS. I could tolerate the slooooowww match-making, but the glitch that caused you to start outside the map and thus reset was terrible. The other glitches and then the hackers finally killed it for me.

What I'd like to see for The Conduit 2:

-M+ controls and melee weapons.
-Make the weapon-merge glitch a standard gameplay mechanic. It actually fits within the game's concept. Machine-gun Rockets can not return...as is.
-More weapons (people seem to like variety, even if it only means minor stat differences between weapons)
-Better multi-player maps. Even though I enjoyed it, I can see how others may not have liked the isometric designs of the first game's maps. Variety is good.
-Test and protect your code and don't forget to leave yourself room to fix glitches.

Poyunch

Anyway after ditching The Conduit for Reflex as my Wii online shooter I have to say I have happier memories of The Conduit.

While The Conduit is more basic I definitely preferred the weapons. They were just way more fun than real life weapons. Also with more health the game could get way more chaotic. I can get killed way more easily on MW but because of that it's not so much fun to mess around with other players.

My greatest memory from The Conduit was I was playing an explosive match and my team was leading by a lot and because of this I decided to fuck with the other team. There was a glass barrier separating me and another player and we both had rocket launchers. He couldn't reach me with a grenade and if he got any closer he would obviously die moving around the barrier to get to me. So all I did was jump up and down while he stared and eventually I see a rocket come behind him and kill him and I see my teammate walk passed his body. It was just so unexpected and I was jumping around for more than a couple minutes.

Hopefully HVS can improve on The Conduit because it was a pretty solid game that could get annoying at times.

rpmurphy

JJConrad said:
I enjoyed the first game. HVS's work with standardizing the controls has earned my respect.

There are 2 major flaws in the first game:
-Story presentation was non-existent. I feel that had this been better, every other flaw in the single player campaign would have been overlooked. The character and level designs were fairly good (or perhaps, those are areas where other more popular games also struggle in), but the artwork for the environments was both poor and repetitive.

- The netcode was broken. I had lot of fun with the multi-player, there were a lot of modes and lag wasn't any worse than any other FPS. I could tolerate the slooooowww match-making, but the glitch that caused you to start outside the map and thus reset was terrible. The other glitches and then the hackers finally killed it for me.

What I'd like to see for The Conduit 2:

-M+ controls and melee weapons.
-Make the weapon-merge glitch a standard gameplay mechanic. It actually fits within the game's concept. Machine-gun Rockets can not return...as is.
-More weapons (people seem to like variety, even if it only means minor stat differences between weapons)
-Better multi-player maps. Even though I enjoyed it, I can see how others may not have liked the isometric designs of the first game's maps. Variety is good.
-Test and protect your code and don't forget to leave yourself room to fix glitches.
What was the weapons-merge glitch?

Also I'll add some:
- Make the shotgun quick-shot glitch part of the game, but only two shots at a time and/or have the firing rate decrease after each shot. I know it sounds nooby, but quick-shotting was pretty awesome. :p
- No lock-on, or have an expert game mode or advanced ranks that disables it. In return, maybe give us the option to add a HUD unit that shows the HP bar of the enemy you're aiming at.
- Rooftop access in at least some of the open maps.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
rpmurphy said:

Also I'll add some:
- Make the shotgun quick-shot glitch part of the game, but only two shots at a time and/or have the firing rate decrease after each shot. I know it sounds nooby, but quick-shotting was pretty awesome. :p
- No lock-on, or have an expert game mode or advanced ranks that disables it. In return, maybe give us the option to add a HUD unit that shows the HP bar of the enemy you're aiming at.
Basically by restocking at an ammo dump, picking up a new weapon, and switching weapons all at once, the game would register that you where firing one weapon but kept the ammo the other. There were a few more technicalities involved; you had to press everything in a certain order and changing the weapon for any reason would reset the merged weapon to return to its normal state.

You could combine any two weapons together, but some combos could crash your game. The most common and most annoying combination was combining the machine gun and rocket launcher together which resulted in endless volleys of rockets flying all over the stage. I preferred combining the handgun and assault rifle together, myself.

Hiltz

Looking back, The Conduit was one of the most disappointing titles on the Wii in my opinion especially given the amount of hype and early positive previews of the game.

The graphics were pretty much ruined by the generic art style, the story was uninteresting and didn't really explain much of anything (it crammed in too many cliche story elements), it was hard to care for the one-dimensional characters, the voice acting was average at best, the music was forgettable, and the level design was uninspiring. I also freaking hate it when FPS games includes small, fast and annoying enemies.
The ASE also was an underused device. It was kind of cool for being a glorified flash light and being able to hacking into computers as well as revealing certain invisible enemies but it could have been better implemented.

It was just a medicore cookie-cutter FPS in my opinion. On the bright side, it did deliver on its controls and customization feature . Quite frankly, I still own the game because of the online play despite the occasionally terrible spawn glitch. However, the only maps I like are streets, sanctum,infirmary and warehouse. I dislike complex, pentagon and bunker with a passion. It gets really annoying how one team will almost ways camp at their base in maps like the pentagon.

So Conduit 2 takes place in Atlantis? I hope HVS does what Ubisoft did with Red Steel 2 and offer a signicantly different sequel. I'd also like the majority of enemies to act more like aliens and not aliens masquerading as humans carrying gimmicky, organic guns.

Overall, I appriciate HVS being committed to wanting to make great core games on the Wii, but I think their the type of developer whose talent can't match their ambitions. Please HVS, prove me wrong.

I think this is worth something just for the split screen play, something that Red Steel 2 completely ditched (its not really a FPS as well) and the otherwise good COD ports haven't been able to pull off.

Meesh

Amir0x said:
oh i can't wait this truly will be a game to showcase the visual prowess of the Wii and define a generation of FPS titles with the cutting edge wii motion plus technology and amazing line corridor box level design plus+

High Voltage has proven time and time again to be stalwarts of the hardcore gaming community, and has earned and deserves all of our anticipation and hype.
That's odd, you're more positive than usual...heh, you're not Amir0x. -_-

Poyunch

rpmurphy said:

Also I'll add some:
Basically it would switch ammo and shooting rate of weapons. Imagine the abuse there would be when you could combine a weapon with a fast firing rate and a large clip with a rocket launcher.

Firestorm

Arc Rise Fantasia and Shantae mentioned on the cover and you make the topic "Conduit 2"? Goddamn. Where are your priorities.

rpmurphy

JJConrad said:
Basically by restocking at an ammo dump, picking up a new weapon, and switching weapons all at once, the game would register that you where firing one weapon but kept the ammo the other. There were a few more technicalities involved; you had to press everything in a certain order and changing the weapon for any reason would reset the merged weapon to return to its normal state.

You could combine any two weapons together, but some combos could crash your game. The most common and most annoying combination was combining the machine gun and rocket launcher together which resulted in endless volleys of rockets flying all over the stage. I preferred combining the handgun and assault rifle together, myself.
Ah ok, now I remember. Yeah, the rocket launcher version was really annoying.

Kinosen

Neo Member
As someone who prefers the Wii pointer for controlling FPSes, I enjoyed the Conduit and I think it's a fairly solid game, though unpolished. The single player was challenging and fun, the ASE was nice(except for the mines, really irritating), and the story was decent, with great voice acting by Kevin Sorbo and William Morgan Sheppard(I thought Mark Sheppard's accent came out too strongly).

The multiplayer was also really fun, when it worked. The matchmaking was incredibly slow, and I was kind of shocked at how the void glitch actually passed through QA. It isn't something that happens once in a while to a small percentage of players, it's actually a really common glitch that made the multiplayer unplayable for long stretches of time. Wii Speak functionality was cool, and I got to use it a few times playing with gaffers.

Graphically, it was a technically good looking game, but the art was really generic. This didn't bother me too much though, since I really enjoyed the gameplay and the control options were a big improvement over previous Wii shooters.

I'm totally down for an improved sequel, and we'll see about The Grinder, don't know how the Wii version will turn out.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Firestorm said:
Arc Rise Fantasia and Shantae mentioned on the cover and you make the topic "Conduit 2"? Goddamn. Where are your priorities.
That's what I thought too! The title should have said NEW SHANTAE: RISKY'S REVENGE INFO with the rest being written out normally.

Top Bottom