• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2: New screenshots show much improvement

gamingeek

I posted these in an existing thread over the weekend but no one noticed.

For reference these are the old screens:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409533

991817_20101022_640screen001.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen002.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen003.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen004.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen005.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen006.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen007.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen008.jpg

991817_20101022_640screen009.jpg

991817_20101014_640screen003.jpg

991817_20101014_640screen005.jpg

Preview
http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/theconduit2/news.html?sid=6282819&mode=previews

scitek

Glad the headshots are making a return. I liked pulling 'em off in the first one because of that effect.

EDIT: And I can't wait to run this one through Dolphin and give it some AA.

pssh.. i guess it's pretty good for the wii, but to be honest.. i've been spoiled rotten when it comes to graphics. First impression is that it looks horrible. But it could be a good shooter.

I wonder when a new HD Nintendo console will come. I'd love that. I'd buy it.

Ashkeloth

It makes me sad when i see stuff relating to Conduit.

For all High Voltage can do with graphics and gameplay, they just cannot seem to make their games look or feel unique in any way. It's always just your standard, good-looking generic FPS.

These screens don't change my feelings one bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haters gonna hate, including myself, but even though I still dont like the art I do have to give HVS huge props for getting a pretty solid engine up and running on the Wii. Whether you like it or not, they've got more shaders and what-not going on than 99% of other Wii games.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
While the backgrounds are bland and forgettable the character design for the most part is quite good and distinctive. On the downside there seems to be scant evidence of keeping the design within an overall aesthetic.

Darklord

Banned
It's not BAD it's just...not good. The technical aspect is average and the art is so boring. The Aliens are so generic. You're never going to remember spiky monster or other spiky monster as a fond enemy, are you?

Zenith

Banned
I think people are still too hung up on the early hype of the first game. They never delivered. They're a middling developer. There are other Wii efforts that look better. Their engine really isn't worthy of attention.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zenith said:
I think people are still too hung up on the early hype of the first game. They never delivered. They're a middling developer. There are other Wii efforts that look better. Their engine really isn't worthy of attention.
Better looking engines outside of first party Nintendo? What looks better from a third party dev right now, Sonic Colors maybe?

I mean, I have very little interest in this game, and these guys seem to be going after a market that left the Wii ages ago (again), but that's a damn nice engine on this hardware.

Lenardo

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Better looking engines outside of first party Nintendo? What looks better from a third party dev right now, Sonic Colors maybe?

I mean, I have very little interest in this game, and these guys seem to be going after a market that left the Wii ages ago (again), but that's a damn nice engine on this hardware.

better is a relative term, i'm trying to think of what engines/games look better...

that cell shaded style that red steel 2 did was really good, better? not necessarily, about equal.

resident evil 4- gamecube engine imo artistically looks better

dead space:extraction - equivulent quality wise

better looking games- is all artistic.. most first party wii games all "look" better due to the cartoony nature.

spyborgs looks really good in motion ya ya i know
de Blob also looks really good for a wii game- and that is what 4years old?

maybe epic mickey will?

qualifier... between me for the hard core games, my 6yr old twins (boy and girl,) and my 9 year old we have

A LOT of wii games..about 110

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lenardo said:
better is a relative term, i'm trying to think of what engines/games look better...

that cell shaded style that red steel 2 did was really good, better? not necessarily, about equal.

resident evil 4- gamecube engine imo artistically looks better

dead space:extraction - equivulent quality wise

better looking games- is all artistic.. most first party wii games all "look" better due to the cartoony nature.

spyborgs looks really good in motion ya ya i know
de Blob also looks really good for a wii game- and that is what 4years old?

maybe epic mickey will?
Hm, I'll give you Red Steel 2, Resi 4 is an artistic thing like you said and not really indicative of the engine. Dead Space: Extraction was on rails, while this is free-moving.
de Blob is one of my favorite Wii games, and the engine is very impressive at rendering huge cityscapes and tracking all of the color, but the actual geometry and textures are only decent. I still think that this looks damn good for the Wii.

The only real problem is the terrible aliasing, but I'm not sure how much they can do about that.

Eh...looks decent, but hopefully the framerate isn't hit too hard. That's always my main concern on the visual end with these types of games.

A.CHAP

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
You can only polish a turd so much. At the end of the day, it's still just a turd.

Lol. you cant polish a turd.

I dont really care what the graphics are like, thats why I bought a wii, just give me an FPS that isnt CoD!

Threi

notag
I NEED SCISSORS said:
You can only polish a turd so much. At the end of the day, it's still just a turd.
that is pretty much how i feel about fps using dual analog :lol

on topic though this game really shouldn't be used as any sort of example of what the Wii is capable of. Sure you can go "oh the wall in the corner actually looks kinda realistic when i squint my eyes" but then you notice the ugly, generic-ass model right in the middle. HVS just sucks at art, and like i said before its more of a skill to work around the limitations of a system and mask them then trying to emulate effects seen on the more powerful home consoles.

This is just regarding the graphics, however. I have no doubt the game will control excellently.

And have the features of a B grade shooter.

jett

D-Member
A.CHAP said:

I dont really care what the graphics are like, thats why I bought a wii, just give me an FPS that isnt CoD!

If you want a quality FPS maybe you should buy one of the other two consoles.

A.CHAP

Banned
jett said:
If you want a quality FPS maybe you should buy one of the other two consoles.

Lonley1 seems to have answered for me. I would never consider playing another dual analogue FPS. Ever.

Lonely1 said:
Dual Analog kills FPSes on the other consoles for me.
I'm with you honestly. The only one I can even stand to look at is Killzone(which I enjoyed a lot), but it has a very nice, meaty feel to it and wasn't just the "sliding guns on wheels" shit most shooters seems to be now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
abstract alien said:
I'm with you honestly. The only one I can even stand to look at is Killzone(which I enjoyed a lot), but it has a very nice, meaty feel to it and wasn't just the "sliding guns on wheels" shit most shooters seems to be now.
Kz2 is the only Ps3 FPS i played to completion. I'm still looking forward playing it with move, though.

I actually went back to the first game recently. I'm really enjoying it. The story is absolute drivel and it doesn't look great, but it's a fun FPS with some unique ideas.

Lonely1 said:
Kz2 is the only Ps3 FPS i played to completion. I'm still looking forward playing it with move, though.
Very much so. The PS Move was sold to me the second KZ3 was announced for it. I imagined playing it with a Wiimote the entire time I had the second one lol. Having the full analog control coupled with a really great aiming device that can actually do more than just aim...just feels so much better.

When is Conduit 2 releasing? I've seen a few different dates out there so it's a bit unclear to me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Man Typing said:
I actually went back to the first game recently. I'm really enjoying it. The story is absolute drivel and it doesn't look great, but it's a fun FPS with some unique ideas.
The fact that it wasn't a cover based shooter, i.e. I could just run and gun all along, made the game for me. The MP was totally broken, though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Get a gaming PC then!
I do own one, but I still like to play pointer FPSes from time to time. Specially because I won't get slaughtered in MP for not using my high DPI gaming mouse on a stable surface.

It wouldn't look all that bad if it just sticked with a look or had some style beyond some kind of Unreal wannabe, which I guess was kinda cool back then but hasn't aged well.

A.CHAP said:

you should watch Mythbusters. it's a fun show.

A.CHAP

Banned
jett said:
Get a gaming PC then!

Yeah have one. Prefer IR pointing to mouse (Bought reflex instead of MW2 when they released) but i dont hate the mouse. Fallout new vegas and steam have put me right of PC gaming for now though.

you should watch Mythbusters. it's a fun show.

They didnt did they?!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A.CHAP said:
Yeah have one. Prefer IR pointing to mouse (Bought reflex instead of MW2 when they released) but i dont hate the mouse. Fallout new vegas and steam have put me right of PC gaming for now though.

Well, I bought Reflex alongside MW2 and I played Reflex a lot more. Still, TF2 got the most playing time, but I enjoyed Reflex a lot.

The developers for this were highlighted in the Code Shop section of the most recent EDGE, going on about their engine. From reading it, it sounded like they put so much time and effort into making this engine be able to do all this stuff, and it just makes you wonder why? They do all this crazy stuff and then ruin it by going for the wrong sort of art style. I think it would actually look pretty good (technical wise) if they could get rid of the aliasing, but it would still be bad because of how generic everything is.

I'm actually quite impressed the first one sold 350,000 copies so obviously this is working for them. But blah, it's just...well 'blah' is a good word to describe the Conduit.

Poyunch

I like HVS. They've definitely got the passion but they're lacking in so many ways. I think they may have changed their reasons but originally the reason why HVS didn't license out their engine was because they wanted to keep devs from abusing it to make shoddy games. It's ironic since so far the games that has used the engine have ranged from decent to horrible.

I think it's best if they just finally licensed out the engine. Is it costly to do this? Wouldn't it be lucrative to license out the engine if a lot of people wanted it? It would be pretty smart for HVS to license out the engine after the rumors of HVS being in trouble and layoffs. I mean if it actually pays to license out engines.

Top Bottom