I couldn't handle the campaign in Mortal Kombat X on Normal difficulty...the first time I can remember dropping below the default difficulty in years and years and years. My fighting game skills have clearly atrophied.
I absolutely adore Halo 4, and while I don't think the multiplayer was good Halo multiplayer it's still one of the best games I've ever played. The sound design, art, story, music... I ain't even ashamed because it's all amazing.
Okay. You've at least threatened to skin someone's dog, turn that skin into multiple ropes, and use those ropes to hang the dog owner and their immediate family, correct?
I'm giving you an out here, my friend.
Also, let me add something. There was this Mega Man X game that I got super into. I tried to find the various secrets, max out the various stats, and even imagined up little stories as I went from level to level. One day, though, the game disappeared, and eventually I struggled to remember which MMX game it was. I wasn't even sure if it was on PS1 or PS2.
At this point, though, I'm fairly certain that the game I sank multiple hours into was MMX7. A game that does not look good based on the YouTube videos I've seen, and that I'm pretty sure is almost universally reviled. The fact that I so enjoyed it at the time makes me even question myself.
I've been playing Nintendo and PC since 1987. Never owned, and never intended to, a ps2, ps3, ps4, vita, xbox, Master System, Lynx, Neo Geo.
I bought a Megadrive for Flashback and sold it once completed, along with the console.
Bought a 360 for Mass Effect, sold it once completed along with the console
I consider myself a big Nintendo fan but the amount of games I have played outside of Mario and Zelda is pretty pathetic.
I play windowed at 720p and low when I can absolutely do more with my system without a problem. I think it's because I don't have a dual monitor set up, so I alt tab a lot. I care about fps more than resolution, and I'm totally happy with 60, but I can play 30 if I get used to it.
More often than not, I have 0 interest in multiplayer titles, and hate PvP. I really just want to play fighting games for their story mode. Actually, I play games for the story. I have no problem playing on easy unless it's a JRPG or it has difficulty achievements, and I will use walkthroughs as I play with no shame.
I think MMOs are boring, but that's probably because I want to play them on my own, and don't want to talk to people in them lol.
RTS/grand strategy/4X games intimidate the fuck out of me. I tried I think Endless Legend on a free weekend, selected the tutorial, and noped the fuck out of there within 10 minutes. I have an extremely hard time getting into them, I need a baby's first strategy game. Maybe I should invest in Pikmin.
I absolutely abhor achievements because they feel like a skinner's box, and because I feel absolutely compelled to get all of them. I love that Nintendo has forgone them.
I have never owned an Xbox console. My last Playstation console was a PS2. I still feel like I haven't missed anything, and even if I did, I can probably get most of them on PC.
I think Other M is about on par with every other Metroid title, as in it's a decent to good game but nothing I'd go nuts for. I feel the same for a lot of other neglected Nintendo franchises and it's why I'd rather they continue to make new IPs instead
I think Naughty Dog's best game is the first Jak and Daxter and also the best non-Mario 3D platformer I've played. The sequels are good too but I couldn't get into them as much. Even so, I'd rather get a new Jak and Daxter over anything Naughty Dog has made since then
I couldn't get into Rocket League. I have a fun time with friends but that's because we're constantly joking around and poking fun at each other. Alone, I just find the controls to be very frustrating and move on to other games instead
My favorite Final Fantasy is X. Yes, in spite of Tidus and his...outfit, the laughing scene, and everything else, I love it. Would be crazy hyped if it got a remake on the PS4
I like Platinum Games's games but I feel that they get hyperbolic praise from their fan base. Like they're damn good developers but they wouldn't make every franchise or genre better, that's just nonsense
Super Paper Mario is a great game and, had it not been for Thousand Year Door, would have been my favorite by far in the series. The original just doesn't quite do it for me, despite being a good game
Speaking of Mario, while Sunshine is still pretty good, I feel that it pales in comparison to pretty much every other console 3D Mario. Honestly, I only rank it above 3D Land but that's a handheld title so I saw it as a budget 3D Mario as opposed to a major release
Any 3D Zelda >>> A Link to the Past. Don't get me wrong, ALTTP is still good but it lacks the oomph that the 3D Zeldas give me, even Skyward Sword. Also, I don't think the NES Zelda games are good at all. Perhaps enjoyable for their time but painful in this day and age with better designed, more polished and less cryptic games, both within the Zelda franchise and beyond
I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy 3 times (2 Wii, 1 Wii u). Haven't even played more than hour of Prime 1 everytime I played them.
Even had it for the GC.
In fact I haven't played nor finished any other Metroid game.......
This is definitely my blind spot, I've never understood the love for this game at all. I cared so little about what happened to the main characters after the first 15 minutes that my only reason to continue was to cross it off some imaginary list of games I "had" to play. Most people I know find the initial scene setting heart warming, natural and genuine and it just comes across to me as cringe worthy and forced.
I don't get the love for Skyrim. I tried it, it wasn't for me.
Likewise, I've never been able to get into the Metroid Prime games, either. I love the 2D games, I just don't really care for the 3D ones.
EDIT: Oh, one more - I've played two of the Zelda CD-I games, (Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil) and I think they've kind of gotten a bad reputation. Sure, the controls are garbage and the cutscenes are hideous, but if you could fix those two things, they would actually be fairly solid Zelda games. (Now all of Gaf Mafia will mock me again for talking about the CD-I Zeldas.)
Any one of these opinions by them self destroys my gaming credibility. All together, they just make me an amalgamation of cynicism and sadness.
- I don't care about the 30vs60FPS argument. As long as a game gives a mostly consistent 30FPS, I am satisfied.
- I don't care about resolutions at all. Again, as long as the frame rate is stable and above 30FPS in most instances, I don't care if its 4K or 480p.
- I vastly prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas or Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is starting to grow on me unlike New Vegas, but I don't see it topping my experiences with Fallout 3.
- I dislike the Soulsborne games. I could never really enjoy them no matter what I tried. The trial-and-error gameplay just turned me off. Plus being told I suck by the community for not allowing myself to be invaded every 5 seconds and dying to superior geared people in the first game turned me off pretty hard too.
- The only Zelda games I've finished are Oracle of Seasons & Ages for the GBC. And they are by far my favorite of the series. BONUS: I couldn't be bothered to play more than 20-30 minutes of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. BONUS2: I quit Ocarina of Time inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly... twice. Once on Gamecube in Master's Quest, and once on the 3DS.
- I actively dislike the Resident Evil and Silent Hill franchises. The only semblance of fun I had was in RE5 in co-op, and even that felt like a chore. BONUS: I got farther in Fatal Frame 2 than any RE game. BONUS2: I quit both RE4 and RE: Revelations ~30 minutes into the games.
- I can't stand Mass Effect. I've tried on multiple occasions to get into the franchise, and all of them failed within the first hour or so. I tried both ME1 and ME2 multiple times, and just couldn't bring myself to play them any longer.
- Despite loving Final Fantasy as a franchise, the only one I ever finished was Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7. And I'm too scared to play another FF game because I'm afraid it won't live up to how damn good Crisis Core was.
- I think the 3D Sonic games got too much flak back in the day. I legitimately enjoyed all of them (with exception to '06). Heroes, Shadow, Secret Rings, and Unleashed were all pretty good.
- I have finished every generation of Pokemon games. Even my least favorite gen (4th), I completed and grinded post-game.
- The last game I beat (aside from Pokemon Sun/Moon) was over 2 years ago, when I beat Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- When I was composing my favorite/personal top 100 games of all time list, not a single NES, Sega system, or Xbox One game was on that list. And the only SNES games were Mega Man X, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.
- I'm a huge Blizzard fan-boy, and I don't think any other developer comes even close to them in terms of best games of all time. Diablo 1-3, Starcraft 1&2, Warcraft 1-3, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch, and Heroes of the Storm are easily some of, if not THE, best games in their respective genres. BONUS: And I'm personally excited to see Destiny 2 come to the Blizzard launcher.
- Oblivion was the best Elder Scrolls game (outside of ESO, which is superior to every game in TES franchise.)
- I've put in over 150 hours into Dota 2, and I cannot see why anyone would willingly subject themselves to that game. It is by far one of the most un-fun experiences I've had in a multiplayer game, and the only reason it got to 150 hours is because that is ALL of what some of my friends would play for years. BONUS: HotS is the better MOBA.
- In my opinion, the Fire Emblem franchise died with Radiant Dawn. Shadow Dragon was the corpse turning in its grave. Awakenings and onward are not the same franchise.
- I'm fairly certain Valve died with the Orange Box and an AI is now controlling that company. Portal 2 was just a stroke of luck on the AIs part. Left 4 Dead wasn't made by Valve, it was made by a company Valve bought. CS:GO and Dota 2 are what a robot would think humans like to do (and genius, in an evil mastermind AI sort of way) and are overall inferior to CS1.6 and Dota 1 respectively.
Ok. I think I'm done now that I've made enemies with literally everyone on Neogaf and probably everyone in the gaming community. Please find it in your heart to not slaughter me on the way out of the thread. Thank you.
I abhor playing most games online. Part of that is down to me simply not being a competitive person but I find the thirst for winning to be odd and distasteful and I'm happier playing with friends, knowing that everyone is having a good time. I've been rather good at stuff like Battlefield in the past but I generally prefer things like Lost Planet 2 in co-op or arena modes, Mario Kart or Splatoon, where people take the games far less seriously. The lack of voice chat also helps.
I found World of Warcraft immensely boring. I thought the first Guild Wars was a much better game and had a lot more fun. It felt like I was taking part in a proper story and shaping events in GW, instead of reading snippets of lore inbetween raids and silly side quests. Probably not helped by joining a guild briefly and finding it full of really tedious and unnecessary infighting.
I've never played a Tekken game. My friends look at me like I'm from Mars when they find out but I don't really care. Life is fine without it and I'm not a huge fan of fighting games anyway.
I'm personally more bothered about never having played a Commodore 64. I was a Spectrum kid but I should've played one by now.
I bought a 1500 dollar PC last year (6700k, GTX1080) and the newest game I've played on it is GTAV ..for about 6 hours. I use it mostly to watch streams and stream my console games to twitch.. Also I haven't slept with any of your moms.
How can people love this shit? Boring gameplay, levels that drag on, with you doing boring stuff. What a waste.
A game that tries to do a lot of stuff. But succeeds at none. And I hate the freaking dot reticule.
Any point and click adventure game. Try this, try that, one will eventually work. How is that fun?
I played them all. I wish they were movies cause playing them was a chore. Oh shit, not a shooting section again.
Also last of us should have been a stealth game with no weapon. Go back to crash or jak and daxter 1 Naughty dog.
I like the gameplay but why are the characters always ugly. Fire your art team capcom.
My teenage sweetheart. I am sure a team of interns can animate the characters better.
I think people playing smash competitively are missing the point.
I think Final Fantasy 7 has a bad story and cloud is a wuss (even before all the other stuff with ff 7 released)
I think Metal Gear Solid 4 was the best MGS, including the ending
I think the best Mass Effect was ME3 and i didnt even know the Ending (was probally more about the journey for me) was supposed to be so bad until the there was like 1000 threads and videos about it.
Witcher 1 was so bad for me that i stop playing after 2 hours
I think GTA games are boring
I belive very firmly a considrible ammount of people only buy and play certain games (including a couple of my friends) because of "waifus", and think this is retarded, but i never tell them because of confrontation/discussion
Because there are a considrible amount of games where i am intressted in the lore/world/story but not the gameplay, i wish every game would include a "A.I. Mode" where the game would play it self and i would only push/direct the player character from place to place
I have another confession:
I had suspicions that some of these things existed (I still think that many of you post on GAF gaming side INSTEAD of playing games), but I still find myself saying "what the fuck" and "blasphemy" over and over as I read down the page. I think I might be a bad person for it. I admit I might have a bit too much enthusiasm towards video games and video game history.
This thread was painful. I still love you guys. I just think a little less of you lol.
I never played any Nintendo games after NES(even that i only played Mario,Duck Hunt and a few licenced titles). I played Super Smash Brawl via emulator and thats it.
Tried Mario Galaxy 2 a few times via Dolphin and it didnt felt good with normal controllers.
am i missing a lot?
I also tried Dark Souls like started 10 times but gave up in every once. At most i think i played 1 chapter.It is not about how hard it is , it is flawed game in many aspects.Art style is so bad ,gameplay is so boring,technical issues,UI is literal crap. I am %100 sure Dark souls 2 or 3 fixed all those though i may try them one day.