• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions That Destroy Your Gamer Credibility

CyberChulo

I hate 99% of Nintendo's games. They all seem so childish in graphics and have simplistic gameplay. I have/had all their systems up until the Switch. After they fucked up Kirby on the Wii U, I was out. My wife bought the Wii U when they had the Zelda bundle. I told her she ain't gonna play that piece of shit. I returned the system myself for a refund. She bought the bundle again 3 months later. She put the Wind Wanker in one time. Never touched the system again.

888eddyx

I'm not a fan of gaming on the PC. I prefer having a physical disc, a controller, and being able to play on my tv while sitting on my couch rather than having the power of a PC

I bought Skyrim on Xbox One

(Playing videogames since 1988)

Never owned a Nintendo console (but MS, MD, Saturn and Dreamcast)
Never owned a Sony console (but OG Xbox, 360 and One)
I enjoyed a lot FF XIII (I was happy when FF XIII-2 and FF XIII-3 were announced)
I was so addicted to Blur that I had auto impose me a ban of the game (it occurred when I reached the 8 weeks of cumulative played time)
I returned Dark Souls the day after buying it because it got me mad how clumsy I was playing that damn game (never returned to DS series)
I bought The Witcher 2 and 3 but never played it as I'm still reading the books (4th one)

Hahs

In my circle Im a Fallout boy and defend the franchise whenever it comes up, but I've only played FO4..yeah

EDIT: first thread/comment I've been leary/embarrassed about - nice one OP!

Skyzard

Banned
I was never good at Dota and Fifa. I'm good at everything else.

Dota I blame my team I was playing with. Used to play with my friends who played very selfishly I regret ever wasting time on it (the WC3 mod). An overpowered phantom assassin was the only good time I had with that!

Fifa....just never really played it. And people here who are good at Fifa are really good at it (UK). It's like the only thing they play and they tend to play it a lot.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
GTA games have braindead gameplay. they're the epitome of everything I hate about videogames; good aesthetics, stellar voice acting/characters, and when it comes to actually playing it, there's nothing in there

GOW games just make me want to laugh: gore driven wannabe teenage badass fantasies that I find unintentionally hilarious because oh they so extreme. gameplay is simplistic ass. simply ridiculous shit.

Battlefield 2 is my favourite online shooter ever, along with TF2 and RTCW (the king). Just pure fun, they bollicksed the sequels so hard my heart aches

every single player FPS has become completely unappealing for me, no matter the setting or production values. They've become pointless as a genre

I always find Obsidian games lacking something to make a real good game. FNV, an atrociously boring setting compared to 3, Kotor 2 no ending. POE too short. Alpha Protocol has horrid combat and generally unpolished as shit, Dungeon Siege 3 is complete arse. South Park might be the only one I could consider a good game all around

I love using cheat codes - especially on old school games. I loved using Action Replay and Gameshark back in the day because so many older games were just made to be painfully difficult in order to stretch the length of the game.

LordKasual

Banned
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was boring.

Sonic & Knuckles was a decidedly better game, so much so that I have more fun just playing that one by itself without locking it on.

Sonic Advance was better than both of them.

I don't remember beating most of my NES games without my Game Genie. Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 included.

Every Mario Kart after Double Dash has been complete ass.

Javier23

Banned
I'm not a fan of gaming on the PC. I prefer having a physical disc, a controller, and being able to play on my tv while sitting on my couch rather than having the power of a PC

I bought Skyrim on Xbox One
There's plenty of reasons to prefer playing on consoles over PC, but when it comes to this one, well, I've finished plenty of games on PC sitting down on my couch with an Xbox One controller. I gotta agree with you on it being far more comfy than doing the same thing on my desk. So good thing I don't.

CuNi

In my friends circle, I somehow became the retro guy. I never played most of the classics and those I did only in a emulator with cranked up graphics...

JC Lately

I can't clear the first screen of Donkey Kong.

I'm not talking about Donkey Kong County, or Jr. etc.

I mean regular ass arcade Donkey Kong.

I know there is a very simplistic pattern on that screen. I have never been able to beat it, despite mastering countless other, much harder games

Tryphus

Neo Member
I had a PS4 and got The Last of Us and several other games... but couldn't get into any of them so I sold it all and just played WiiU..

Yikes, sorry..

Zutrax

Final Fantasy is one of my favorite franchises in gaming. I quit halfway through 6 because it was growing tiresome, and I don't particularly enjoy 9 due to how slow it is and it doesn't "feel" like Final Fantasy to me. I also enjoyed Final Fantasy 13, it's flawed and linear and Lightning sucks, but the combat is fun, the game is gorgeous with incredible music, and I like some of the characters and world a lot.

If you ignore the plot in Metroid Other M it's a damn good game.

I shill Nintendo any chance I can get and will remain a shameless fanboy for them for my entire life.

I generally dislike Fallout and Borderlands both due to their aesthetics and odd feeling, bullet spongey, numbers based FPS gameplay.

I owned Horizon for 2 months and only put about 4 hours into it despite utterly loving it before trading it in for Prey. Zelda just burned me out on long open world games too much.

FZW

Achievements/Trophies are so important to me that I don't think ill own a Nintendo console until they have such a system

jackal27

Banned
Even though I own 1-3 and the PSP games, I've never played a Metal Gear Solid more than maybe an hour or two.

There are multiple games on my top 10 list that I've never finished. I finally finished my number 1 just weeks ago.

I think I probably finish maybe 10% of the games I buy. And I don't buy that many.

I've never beaten a Mario game other than Mario Land 2 and I used save states.

I cheat with save states and walkthroughs all the time.

I'm not sure I've beaten a game without referencing a walkthrough in the last 15 years.

GTA games have braindead gameplay. they're the epitome of everything I hate about videogames; good aesthetics, stellar voice acting/characters, and when it comes to actually playing it, there's nothing in there

GOW games just make me want to laugh: gore driven wannabe teenage badass fantasies that I find unintentionally hilarious because oh they so extreme. gameplay is simplistic ass. simply ridiculous shit.

Battlefield 2 is my favourite online shooter ever, along with TF2 and RTCW (the king). Just pure fun, they bollicksed the sequels so hard my heart aches

every single player FPS has become completely unappealing for me, no matter the setting or production values. They've become pointless as a genre

I always find Obsidian games lacking something to make a real good game. FNV, an atrociously boring setting compared to 3, Kotor 2 no ending. POE too short. Alpha Protocol has horrid combat and generally unpolished as shit, Dungeon Siege 3 is complete arse. South Park might be the only one I could consider a good game all around

Dude, my man. I owe you a beer.

Speaking of being burnt out on FPS games, anybody remember Heretic II? I put probably more man hours into that than anything else other than maybe OG Quake 1 Team Fortress and loved later mods like the hand-to-hand blade fighting. Given the upgrades and weapons in multi-player Heretic II it was very proto-Overwatch in many ways.

These days it seems I play the likes of competitive Puyo Puyo Tetris and Cave SHMUPs/STGs more than anything else. I could build a shrine to Housemarque and Yotsubane.

jackal27

Banned
Oh yeah, and I would rather play fun, colorful, family games than shit like Grand Theft Auto or the latest shooter any day of the week.

I know that's not so uncommon in communities like this, but if I ever mention this to a "gamer" in real life, the look I get is so negative.

I can't play RE7 in VR even after playing it normally first so I know what's coming.

I literally start steaming up the headset with fear enduced sweats after a minute in that bloody thing.

To be honest I don't think I'll ever buy another VR horror game - just the thought of going back in there scares the shit out of me.

I'm 40....

Quite a lot tbh. Out of my irl friends I'm the biggest gamer by far but my tastes & experiences really don't mesh well at all with places like Gaf.

Modern Bioware are my favourite developers. For me, there's a huge gulf between the Dragon Age & Mass Effect games (yes all of them) and all other games. Nothing else is even in the same league

Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I've played that I really enjoyed (but not enough to finish it), gave up on the others I've played less than halfway in. Have little interest in trying others in the series

I love Mario Party games

I like the inclusion of the blue shell in mario kart

Don't think I've ever finished a Mario game

Final Fantasy XII is my favourite FF by far

I much prefer the 'dumbed down' TES Oblivion & Skyrim to Morrowind

Croc > Crash Bandicoot

I really enjoyed all the Harry Potter games

I deliberately played Demon's Souls as a magic user & Dark Souls 2 with the op mace. Also deliberately cheesed a few bosses in the Souls series

I've no qualms about dropping difficulty if I'm having trouble. I usually play games on normal, haven't yet ever played a game on hard or higher

Haven't played any installments of several classic series including Metroid, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Donkey Kong, GOW, Mega man... a couple of these I do want to try but mostly I have no interest in them.

Lasty95

1000 hours of Destiny, top 1% kd.

Until people started complaining about lack of Titan skating in destiny 2 i had never even heard of it.

Haven't unlocked the solar Warlock subclass. At all.

Got year 1 gjallerhorn in year one and it's never fired a rocket. Didn't care for it.

Mael

I actually liked Wii Music.
Also there's only 1 sword fighting game worth playing and that's WiiSportsResort Kendo attraction.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm currently going to college and majoring in Game Design and Development yet I still have yet to play Minecraft.

Print_Dog

I'm a huge Mass Effect fan. Love the lore and general world building stuff. Read and watched all extended universe media, but I've never played pass the Archangel mission on Mass Effect 2, and therefore never started 3.

oddnon

Neo Member
I really loved Shifters for PS2. I found it substantially more interesting than the turn-based Heroes of Might and Magic. Sorry!

eso76

I reviewed Sonic Adventure for a rather well known magazine back in the day and I called it the best 3d platform game ever.

(and while that might have been a slight hyperbole I still think there's a lot to love about that game)

Sailent

Banned
First of all, *what* is a gamer? A person who has for hobby playing games.

Second of all, ALL Zeldas BORE ME to DEATH.

nowhat

Ready to lose whatever shred of credibility I may have:

I bought Dark Souls on a 360, used, without knowing anything about the game (it was cheap, so why not). Played it for a couple of hours and decided that unless I pick up a meth habit, that's enough for me. But later on had a PS4 and BloodBorne was getting such rave reviews all around, perhaps I should give From Software another chance. But the result is the same - I've tried to start the game a couple of times, after a few hours I give up.

I get what people like in the games, and it's not the difficulty I'm opposed to - I can push through absolutely masochistic platformers for example (with an appropriate level of swearing), but the Soulsbornes just have never "clicked" with me. I suppose I could give BB yet another go, but meh. Maybe I'm just a filthy casual.

Ar¢tos

Shouldn't "credibility" be the last reason to play games?
I play games for enjoyment and the way i enjoy playing them, i might even chase a platinum trophy if the path to it is, above all, FUN. I really don't give a f*ck about what others think about what games i play or how i play them.
There are more than enough attacks to an individual self-esteem in modern society, no need to create new ones.

KevinKeene

Banned
I've never finished AlttP. Never played the last dungeon, only watched a friend playing.

Also I REALLY don't like Super Metroid. It makes me feel uncomfortable. You take damage from just touching enemies which is bs. Bosses have too much health, Samus too little. Meh.

Top Bottom