• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I had no idea the game was even coming to the windows store. Seems silly to not make it play anywhere if that's the case. Or at the very least make it cross play with Xbox One.

Corpekata

Banned
You'll be able to fill an entire lobby, what more could you want?

The definitive experience. Since it will always be the same people you play with, you'll make friends. Everything will feel more personal. Good looking out for us, Win 10 store.

Trup1aya

Fucking stupid. No Xbox one xplay is understandable. But why bother if you aren't going to allow crossplay with other PC version?

Holy shit, Microsoft you are insane and Activision, you idiots, this will burn you when those few users realise it isn't all PC users. Refund city in launch week.

OP redeemed.

MS allows cross network play, the dev has to inpliment it.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

renzolama

Why would anyone buy it on the Windows Store if it's available on Steam?

Because the windows store games have OS hooks that will theoretically make hacking in-game much harder than with the steam version? MS can update the encryption/security layer for UWP anytime it wants to make hacking more difficult, it's basically like client side scanning/detection running for every game. That's the main benefit I could theorize.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Holy shit, Microsoft you are insane and Activision, you idiots, this will burn you when those few users realise it isn't all PC users. Refund city in launch week.

OP redeemed.

Why are Microsoft insane? This is all Activision.

Windows 10 Store games have the ability to be play anywhere and cross play. This isn't a limitation on Microsoft's end, this is an unwillingness to put any effort in by Activision.

MUnited83

For you.
Can you imagine the playerbase for COD MWR on this shitty store, since it's only available with deluxe edition? I'd be amazed if it breaks 15 concurrent players.

Trup1aya

Because the windows store games have OS hooks that will theoretically make hacking in-game much harder than with the steam version? MS can update the encryption/security layer for UWP anytime it wants to make hacking more difficult, it's basically like client side scanning/detection running for every game. That's the main benefit I could theorize.

Nothing like a secure network with no one one it.

Windows 10 Store games have the ability to be play anywhere and cross play. This isn't a limitation on Microsoft's end, this is an unwillingness to put any effort in by Activision.

MS should have told them "what the fuck are you doing?"

Yeah, quite a few amount of people will trade a small amount of hackers in their games for a community that's 73 times smaller.

Rymuth

#neverbetagainstbenny

I will take that bet....100% the other way...no way Microsoft would take them game if there was that stipulation
I seem to recall you making similar boasts to Durante and others in every UWP thread and it never works out for you. Amazing.

MUnited83

For you.
Why is there even a W10 store version?

MS is completely and utterly desesperate for any AAA game they can get into their shitty store.

So they sent some money to Activision so they would make it so, and Activision is then promptly shitting out a version. They don't give a shit it won't sell since MS probably paid them well enough for this.

I will take that bet....100% the other way...no way Microsoft would take them game if there was that stipulation

Only thing i can think of is activision is publishing it on the windows store for a laugh (which microsoft couldnt' stop them from doing)

EDIT: also bizarre is why wouldn't we hear anything concrete on this version if the game is coming out tomorrow? The whole thing seems unlikely to happen
You just lost yourself a bet ;)

bombshell

Yeah right...

I can see Activision not wanting it be Play Anywhere, but I cannot see them not wanting it be crossplay with Steam. You really blame Activision for it not being that?

Corpekata

Banned

There is some blame for Activision, but MS are going to host a copy of the most popular video game series in the world that is going to be barren of an MP population very quickly. It is not going to be a good look for the store and for convincing others to follow suit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
MS should have told them "what the fuck are you doing?"

This? I agree with.

Microsoft should have done a better job convincing Activision to at the very least make it cross play with Xbox One. But really? It also should have Ben Play Anywhere. Would have been a huge boon for the program. So yeah, Microsoft fucked up in THAT part. But maybe the marketing partnership with Sony blocks that?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah right...

I can see Activision not wanting it be Play Anywhere, but I cannot see them not wanting it be crossplay with Steam. You really blame Activision for it not being that?

Yes. Because it's Activision (or the developer of the game) that would need to implement it. Has nothing o do with Microsoft.

Trup1aya

Yeah right...

Why wouldn't you blame Activision. MS policy allows for crossplay with ANY network.

Deepo

I wish I was made of money, just so I could buy this version. I want to experience the crushing loneliness when logging on to the MP servers.

scitek

This is honestly one of the best things that could happen. The Windows Store needs AAA titles to fail miserably so publishers know it's not worth their while.

Top Bottom