• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed - FarCry: New Dawn

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not everyone is outraged obviously but read this thread, there's at least half a dozen contributions along the lines of "so woke".

Maybe outrage was the wrong word, but my point stands. People can only see the cover art from a sceptical perspective. Guess that's what I meant by "outrage".

Again, the narrative created is the only reason a game could possibly have black female leads is to try and be PC... rather than just because they wanted to have black female leads full stop.

What's the 2018 condition where a game can ever have a non White male protagonist without these accusations? . I'm genuinely interested. 20 years ago on British TV there was a show with a black lawyer. I remember my dad commenting how they were trying to be PC. Twenty years later there's lots more black lawyers. Weird how cultural change works. My dad was kind of right...but also kind of wrong.

I mean, let's be honest, it is a loaded cover without context, and at this point, designed to invoke heavy discussion in today's current climate. Thus you will get people cracking jokes on that.

If you think UbiSoft is being genuine here, not taking advantage of the IdPol political climate and viral that comes with it, then that would be silly too. They have leaked docs that say otherwise.

Last edited:

Diddy X

I don't think there should be any outrage here, it's different from BF, these farcry games aren't about historical events, the cover looks more funny than anything.

Not everyone is outraged obviously but read this thread, there's at least half a dozen contributions along the lines of "so woke".

Maybe outrage was the wrong word, but my point stands. People can only see the cover art from a sceptical perspective. Guess that's what I meant by "outrage".

Again, the narrative created is the only reason a game could possibly have black female leads is to try and be PC... rather than just because they wanted to have black female leads full stop.

What's the 2018 condition where a game can ever have a non White male protagonist without these accusations? . I'm genuinely interested. 20 years ago on British TV there was a show with a black lawyer. I remember my dad commenting how they were trying to be PC. Twenty years later there's lots more black lawyers. Weird how cultural change works. My dad was kind of right...but also kind of wrong.

You do realize the issue isn't women (or black women), right? I'm starting to think you are just trolling. The "woke" comments are because it's two black females shooting a white male. What would your response be if roles were reversed? What if there was a black female tied to a car and two white males were about to shoot her? You would say, wow that's dumb, racist, and misogynistic. Ok so this cover is perfectly normal? It's just the devs trying to be inclusive guyzzz! BS, the cover is obviously two part plan; 1. free marketing 2. brownie points from the resetera type of folks.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I really love these people being triggered by the "woke" context. Chill out dudes. You look like mirrored resetera users and you don't even realize it.

The more you push this anti-agenda, the more agenda-like it looks

Love being a centrist 💗

Last edited:
So what's their target audience? Bfa's? What's that, about .5% of their purchasing customers? I see this going about as well as BFV. Thank god their are companies that exist like CDPR who don't give two fucks about America's PC culture.

Nelsin

Banned
So what's their target audience? Bfa's? What's that, about .5% of their purchasing customers? I see this going about as well as BFV. Thank god their are companies that exist like CDPR who don't give two fucks about America's PC culture.
What are you talking about? Today or yesterday they fired the twitter guy who tweeted that joke.

thief183

What are you talking about? Today or yesterday they fired the twitter guy who tweeted that joke.

This still have to be proven, btw they should fire him for incompetente ^^

Edit: double quote... my phone is pissing me off today

Last edited:
I really love these people being triggered by the "woke" context. Chill out dudes. You look like mirrored resetera users and you don't even realize it.

Love being a centrist 💗

Yeah people are overreacting a bit to this but honestly the cover is fucking atrocious when you look past the possible political issues people may have. The snarky smiles that basically screams "psssh nothing personnel kid" at your face and the Fortnite arm lady is holding that pistol like a fucking moron and honestly the whole art just looks like a Tumblr fanfic.

Boss Mog

I'm sure the usual suspects will be thrilled about this but their joy could soon turn to outrage if these ladies turn out to be the bad guys, because Far Cry games usually feature the main villain front and center on their covers, not the heroes. I will laugh my ass off if this turns out to be the case. Personally I don't care who I play as in a game but if the game takes place in rural Montana again I'd expect the protags to be more like Cletus and Brandine than Beyonce and Solange.

Last edited:

Ptownrich

It's always been impossible because the gaming industry is large enough that anything will cause outrage from at least one loud person. The real question you should ask, "Is it impossible for a game to have a black protagonists without the protagonist's race being a politically or socially motivated?" The answer to that is still yes but it's the dev choice. Movies have had black leads for years and nobody cares because those movies didn't have a black person so the director can get brownie points.

Very few people (other than the boogie men that resetera told you exist) care about race and gender in video games. A lot of people get frustrated when race and gender is used as a way to get brownie points instead of as a way to increase the quality of the story or game itself.

Clearly you viewed the BFV outrage from the outside looking in. Very very few people were upset at the inclusion of women in BFV. I'm not going to spend my time explaining the issues people had with BFV to you because you have clearly convinced yourself a false narrative is reality. Just a quick thought experiment for you though, try to think why BFV sales are so low and why the game did a drastic change in visuals e.g. cosmetics and art style from the original reveal to launch.

No one assumes that other than your fun little straw men.

The middle ground comes when devs don't include people of color solely for identity politics. Another thought experiment for you. Try to think how many people are upset that Tomb Raider stars a woman.

Very very few people were upset at the inclusion of women in BFV??!! Check the thread on here. Lot's of people were.

The assumption you make that "movie directors don't include black leads to get brownie points but rather to increase the quality of the product" implies that game directors ONLY include black leads to get brownie points. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

You even then say it's impossible for a game director to include black leads without it being politically or socially motivated.

You've just highlighted my whole point really well for me. It's hard being a game director!! If you go with a black female lead for your new action game people give you shit for trying to score brownie points and doing it for politically motivated reasons. If you're a film director and use a black female lead your doing it to enhance your creation or vision. This is your own logic. How can the game director "win". They need to demonstrate their inclusion of a black) female character is for artistic reasons m but how could we ever know?

"Very few people care about race and gender in games".

Bullseye!! This is the very crux of the issue. Very few (white) male gamers care about race and gender in games because we (me) are already well catered for. We are not underrepresented in the medium. As a white straight male myself why would I be wanting more representation of characters I can identify with. Like 90% + games have male leads but half our population are female. Those who say "I don't see the problem here at all" aren't the people affected by the problem... that's what's behind a lot of gamergate culture.

It's historically understandable as throughout most of the history of gaming, the vast majority of gamers were male. But that's changing. If you're a female gamer wouldn't it be great to play as a female character? Or a black person to play as a black person?

Whatevs

Akira1983

Banned
Fuck yeah cover looks great, way different vibes than 5

Also, I’ll be able to sustain my life on the salt from this reveal for years. Thanks Ubisoft!

This is great.
Loving the diversity in games now.

This didn't exist 10 years ago

I like the idea of that as well but honestly Billie Lurk is the only good character out of those. While I love a diverse cast, there needs to be more effort put into making them memorable rather than just making them.

thief183

I'm just curious all you've seen is a cover and that is the reason you are deciding to skip the game. What about a cover made you decide that.

I don't like playing as a woman, I don't care about race, sexual orientation or whatever, I just don't like playing as a woman, so I wount buy it (If I can't choose)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm sure the usual suspects will be thrilled about this but their joy could soon turn to outrage if these ladies turn out to be the bad guys, because Far Cry games usually feature the main villain front and center on their covers, not the heroes. I will laugh my ass off if this turns out to be the case. Personally I don't care who I play as in a game but if the game takes place in rural Montana again I'd expect the protags to be more like Cletus and Brandine than Beyonce and Solange.

Glad I am not the only one who noticed the Queen Bey in the one on the left.

Paracelsus

Love being a centrist

This is probably the dumbest strawman going on within the modern world today.
This is exactly what was said when hardcore gamers used to rightfully shit on casual gamers (and smartphone gamers), we had "centrists" defending them. Look where that's got us.

Last edited:

ZiriusOne

This cover, holy shit. YASSS QUEEN SLAY. Kill da whitey.

This looks like a meme mockup from 4chan or something. I can't believe this is real.

Paracelsus

This cover, holy shit. YASSS QUEEN SLAY. Kill da whitey.

This looks like a meme mockup from 4chan or something. I can't believe this is real.

EA got you covered on that already.

SkavnAI.png

I don't like playing as a woman, I don't care about race, sexual orientation or whatever, I just don't like playing as a woman, so I wount buy it (If I can't choose)

so you’d skip a game like Bayonetta because a woman is the only playable character?

Step 1: Far Cry cover is released.
Step 2: People make assumptions.
Step 3: Game is nothing like those assumptions.
Step 4: Forget any of this happened, and await the next Far Cry cover.

It's the circle of life.

Remember the stereotypical "gay" villain in Far Cry 4? Remember the "deeply racist far-right" cult in Fallout 5? None of these things actually happened, and if you think Ubisoft is going to release a game that's not designed to appeal to a mainstream audience, I doubt you're right. Whatever form this game takes, I don't think it's going to be what any liberal or conservative extremists want it to be, and I don't think it's going to be making any controversial and divisive political statements that could harm potential sales.

Last edited:

Simply_Bry

Is it now impossible for a game to have black protagonists without it causing outrage from certain people?

The logical solution to quieten the outrage would surely be to revert back to having exclusively white male leads and then people can relax again. Nothing politically dodgy about that at all.

The whole furore over this and BFV is so creepy when recontextualised by asking those people aggreived what their solution would be ... because the answer could only be "don't be so woke" eg don't use women or people of colour as lead protagonists.

The assumption that the only reason for a developer using women or a black person as a lead is to "be woke and PC" is essentially saying there's no other reason why a game would star a black/female lead.

So this gamer gate culture creates an impossible environment for developers where they can either have white male leads...or be a bunch of SJW virtue signalling fakers. No middle ground? When is it acceptable to have female lead characters? (Maybe games about being a mum, or a teacher, or fashion or dating Sims).

Tomb Raider. Bayonetta. Metroid. Beyond Good and Evil. Horizon Zero Dawn. Mirror's Edge. Yuna.

Really nobody cares what gender the protagonist is. Most happen to be male because males play more video games in general and there's nothing wrong to use that for better sales.
The current trend however is to use female protagonists in order to satisfy a minority of feminists and SJWs complaining about non-existing problems. This goes so far that game developers justify revisioning of real stories that disrespects the real people involved who gave their lives for us living today. Nowadays it is almost like discriminating white men is encouraged like this stupid ass cover art. If the white male was a naked black female and the two black females two white men the internet would outrage and possibly it would hit the media. But who cares about white men right? They are the source of all evil and deserve to die!

This video demonstrates how DICE f*cked up by changing the past and calling people ''uneducated'':

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Step 1: Far Cry cover is released.
Step 2: People make assumptions.
Step 3: Game is nothing like those assumptions.
Step 4: Forget any of this happened, and await the next Far Cry cover.

It's the circle of life.

Remember the stereotypical "gay" villain in Far Cry 4? Remember the "deeply racist far-right" cult in Fallout 5? None of these things actually happened, and if you think Ubisoft is going to release a game that's not designed to appeal to a mainstream audience, I doubt you're right. Whatever form this game takes, I don't think it's going to be what any liberal or conservative extremists want it to be, and I don't think it's going to be making any controversial and divisive political statements that could harm potential sales.

So what you're saying is, their covers are the videogame box-art equivalent to clickbait article titles?

By that trailer it looks like Ubisoft is trying to bring us Fallout, atleast someones trying...

Everything else aside if its anything recycled from Far Cry 5, they'll face the same reckoning from the gaming community at large that every other big developer is facing right now, for incomplete, recycled, buggy, loot crate filled, over priced releases. I hope they aren't dumb enough to do that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Is going to be called Far Cry: New Dawn.

2Yt76Ue.jpg

My impression is that its going to be something like Far Cry: Blood Dragon. A semi-sequel using the same base tech.

chilleverest chilleverest can you update your OP with this?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
By that trailer it looks like Ubisoft is trying to bring us Fallout, atleast someones trying...

Everything else aside if its anything recycled from Far Cry 5, they'll face the same reckoning from the gaming community at large that every other big developer is facing right now, for incomplete, recycled, buggy, loot crate filled, over priced releases. I hope they aren't dumb enough to do that.

Wasn't Primal literally the map from 4, re-skinned?

Top Bottom