• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed - FarCry: New Dawn

thief183

so you’d skip a game like Bayonetta because a woman is the only playable character?

Well, it is kinda different don't you think? A superpolitic move vs a very well designed and badass character....

This is waht I don't get, I can't understand why ppl don't see the difference in this. Bayonetta Is a cool character that fits its style, nothing political about it and nobody cared, Lara Croft is a cool character that made sense in the context, Shani was a cool character and nobody said anything, the difference stand in the reason you are using a female/male character.

Look at Andromeda, BF5, and other examples (not gonna list them now^^) they choose their characters not for their role, but for an Agenda. That is the problem, not the sex.

This (clearly fake cover, the autor spoke on Pol... if that is true...) actually mix all the PC culture in one picture, and it is made only to come up with controversy, why should I waste my money on that? I'll gladly put my wallet where I can find what I prefer.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is, their covers are the videogame box-art equivalent to clickbait article titles?

I wouldn't say so, because they don't really promise anything like an article title does. The covers are accurate, but people read too much into them, every time.

It's also worth it to note that the last three Far Cry game covers have shown the antagonist in a position of power. If they continue that trend, those two girls will likely be the villains. And if that's true, and if this game IS somehow about gender or race (as the conclusions people are jumping to would suggest) you're going to be playing as a person fighting their tyranny.

But again, whatever they do, I think it's absolutely going to be designed to appeal to a mainstream audience.

Tired-Of-Winning

Neo Member
Guys chill, the girls are the antagonists if the old covers are anything to go by. Every farcry cover had the main antagonist on it torturing the protagonist

Well, it is kinda different don't you think? A superpolitic move vs a very well designed and badass character....

This is waht I don't get, I can't understand why ppl don't see the difference in this. Bayonetta Is a cool character that fits its style, nothing political about it and nobody cared, Lara Croft is a cool character that made sense in the context, Shani was a cool character and nobody said anything, the difference stand in the reason you are using a female/male character.

Look at Andromeda, BF5, and other examples (not gonna list them now^^) they choose their characters not for their role, but for an Agenda. That is the problem, not the sex.

This (clearly fake cover, the autor spoke on Pol... if that is true...) actually mix all the PC culture in one picture, and it is made only to come up with controversy, why should I waste my money on that? I'll gladly put my wallet where I can find what I prefer.

so your reason is politically motivated not gender based...thanks for the clarification

brap

Banned
i’m sure that 84 opencritic for Odyssey must be a typo right? or the 82 for FC5 as well...sounds like shit to me right?
>caring about critic reviews
Thank god I have my own thoughts and opinions. Somebody like you would tell me marvel movies are amazing because HIGH NUMBER FROM CRITIK!!!

>caring about critic reviews
Thank god I have my own thoughts and opinions. Somebody like you would tell me marvel movies are amazing because HIGH NUMBER FROM CRITIK!!!

Come on dude saying games that are universally given positive remarks as shit is over the top and you know it.

Wasn't Primal literally the map from 4, re-skinned?
Even if it was riding the sabertooth tiger, the whole cave man era, hunting with spears, bows & arrows, Woolly Mammoths made that Far Cry different enough to make it stand out from all the rest, which are generally open world shooters.

Akira1983

Banned

Mass effect andromeda is political? How?

Also it’s funny how a game starring a male character is never for “politics”

Do we should default to white male and any other type of character needs to be justified or it’s pandering to politics?

My impression is that its going to be something like Far Cry: Blood Dragon. A semi-sequel using the same base tech.

Blood Dragon is one of my favorite games from the past gen by far. It was truly awesome. I really hope Ubi delivers some of that again and yet somehow that stupid cover art screams "battle royale" to me.

Last edited:

thief183

Do we should default to white male and any other type of character needs to be justified or it’s pandering to politics?

Can't you look at the picture?

Wht are you giuys so triggered that I'm not going to buy it? what is your problem? Have you got banned from Era?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh. As long as the game is fun to play, it is fun to explore, and there isn't purposefully horribly written writing done to push inclusivity/wokeness (Looking at you BFV, AC Odyssey, and 2064: ROM), I probably will enjoy this like I enjoyed the last 5 Far Cry games.

I can't wait to walk and walk and walk through forests that all look the same and there's nothing interesting.

Getting tired of open world games. My thumb gets fatigued from holding forward.

Last edited:
its not a particularly good cover but people need to relax with the "woke" bullshit. first of all it isnt even confirmed real and if it ends up being real so what

if it does end up being real those 2 girls look like the bad guys i wonder if people will have a problem with that

Dacon

Banned

Andromeda gets pretty political. A certain sentence from an asari character was enough to point that out. There's several instances of stuff like that in the game.

On topic, this cover looks fake. Like someone shoddily threw it together in photoshop.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
its not a particularly good cover but people need to relax with the "woke" bullshit. first of all it isnt even confirmed real and if it ends up being real so what

if it does end up being real those 2 girls look like the bad guys i wonder if people will have a problem with that

I can see the WayTakuGon articles already. ;)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I honestly would enjoy seeing them as the villain. We have had Six male villains and 1 female villain so far since FarCry 3 (2 in FC3, 1 in FC4, 4 total in FC5). Would be nice to see some diversity in villains.

Bryank75

Banned
Except the pink lettering probably contradicts that theory. I mean, I don't mind a game theorizing what a black ethno-state might be like... The difference is, how would it look the other way around?

Kotaku already praising the cover. Something tells me the author never played a far cry game and no Im not linking their trash here.

Here’s a quote from the article

“Although we can’t say for sure what role the two women on the cover of Far Cry New Dawn will play, they do have a strung up white man in the background, while they sit in the foreground, looking over their shoulders menacingly, holding large weapons. Yeah, they bad.”

Is some things were reversed in that quote all hell would break loose.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I really love these people being triggered by the "woke" context. Chill out dudes. You look like mirrored resetera users and you don't even realize it.

The more you push this anti-agenda, the more agenda-like it looks

Love being a centrist 💗

My thoughts exactly. I noped out of this thread as soon as I saw how people were getting.

Congratulations on trying to make NeoGAF exactly the same as ResetEra.

I posted one comment on the first page trying to talk about ... the gameplay ...of a game ... in a games forum ... and then people starting pulling their shit.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Post-apocalyptic, most humans dead, the earth has recovered and is once again a garden of eden. That's Adam tied to the car, hahahaha, about to get wrecked by Eve and her new BFF.

The remaining humans have come to the obvious conclusion that testosterone was the source of most of the worlds ills, and has adopted a matriarchal society to prevent it from happening again.

Seems like a workable Far Cry story to me.

My thoughts exactly. I noped out of this thread as soon as I saw how people were getting.

Congratulations on trying to make NeoGAF exactly the same as ResetEra.

I can really tell you noped out lol.

The reactions here are tame compared to how Reset would respond to something they don’t like. There maybe have been a few hot tales but for the most part there hasn’t been anything close to reset levels of hyperbole.

Nice try.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I can really tell you noped out lol.

The reactions here are tame compared to how Reset would respond to something they don’t like. There maybe have been a few hot tales but for the most part there hasn’t been.

Nice try.

I noped out of attempting to talk about ... the aspects of a game ... such as the gameplay ... in a games forum ... on the Gaming side ... once a large, loud group stopped talking about it as a game.

Yes, I noped out.

Last edited:

rob305

Far Cry 3 is one of my favorite games of all times, so this has my attention. I have a feeling theyre fishing for controversy and thats it

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
The problem is that you are reacting the same way any 'NPC' would. See how most of the people here are getting triggered by the same aspects? And never to point out exactly what the point is:

- Marketing? at the beginning I observed some line being draw using this argument, up until this point, fine. Legit unique complain, given how the covers were like in the series before

The it came down to the GamerGate NPC dilemma

- SJW are pushing hard the racial - social - feminazi agenda... You guys can't even see the intention behind it. They already did it, and end up being a fluke without having consistency. FC5 was this same drama.

My opinion is that FC is strayng far from its origins on the 5th and now i know they are gone for good. The game exhales Rage 2-like thematic. Even the Pink is a color key in the thematic. No paradise exploration. No wild stuff

But given the assumptions... What's wrong with having ebony girls as characters? No one here even knows if they are the MC or not (even though it is highly likely) due to the cover.

Even if they are conceived in blank progressive lines for the lulz, we don't know yet. We only have a fucking cover

Will there be progressive agenda lines and themes in side quests? Obviously, we all know it. Even AC hasn't escaped it. The thing is that with what we have now, the assumptions are extremely Biased

Last edited:

I noped out of attempting to talk about ... the aspects of a game ... such as the gameplay ... in a games forum ... on the Gaming side ... once a large, loud group stopped talking about it as a game.

Yes, I noped out.

Well considering the game isn’t even announced and there isn’t anything to go off of besides one leaked image. There isn’t much to talk about in regards to gameplay or the game itself.

The only thing there is to talk about is this leaked cover.

So naturally there are mixed feelings on it. But to say it’s resetera levels of outrage is hysterical. I don’t see anyone calling ubi garbage humans or saying fuck them or any of the usual Resetera echo responses.

The most I saw was saying it was “woke” which if you consider that reset levels of upset you need to re-evaluate.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The most I saw was saying it was “woke” which if you consider that reset levels of upset you need to re-evaluate.

I don't consider it reset levels, but the amount of posts zeroing in on calling Ubisoft SJWs, and the speed at which they were posted here, makes me think NeoGAF is heading in that direction. It just doesn't match what I actually see from the teaser trailer and the cover. The response so far has been disproportionate, in my opinion.

I believe there is zero chance that in this game you, a white male, are allowed to hunt and kill two black female villains. Just not going to happen in this day and age.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't consider it reset levels, but the amount of posts zeroing in on calling Ubisoft SJWs, and the speed at which they were posted here, makes me think NeoGAF is heading in that direction. It just doesn't match what I actually see from the teaser trailer and the cover. The response so far has been disproportionate, in my opinion.

Knowing most of these people's posting habits, I read them (as with mine) all as being snarky digs/jokes. But I can see coming into this with the past experiences, read with a different perspective.

Saying making NeoGAF the same as Resetera suggests that the responses are on equal footing. Take a step back and consider why some people are zeroing in on it like you said. It is meant to be controversial, it's meant to make a stir like they did with the last game. That one had Resetera FOAMING at the mouth at the thought of killing hillbillies as I remember it. That was quite the entertaining thread. NeoGAF isn't headed in that direction on the ability to have opinions that aren't banned. Sometimes opinions you don't like may rub you the wrong way, at least you can voice them here.

I can see the irony of the image and how both sides are reacting to it. If the image was reversed people would be going NUTS. That is mostly I think what the very mild reaction to it is. I don't believe it is because there are two black women in the game or anything, its more how some people are EATING it up but if it was reversed they would be treating UBI like they are currently treating Jaffe and Boogie.

I personally don't think much will come from it either way. Ubi already said they aren't interested in injecting current politics into their games which pissed off Resetera when they said it, then they release this and Resetera loves it. Its all a marketing ploy. They game will be smack dab in the middle like 5 was. I'm more surprised they are pushing yet another Far Cry game so soon. They need to do what they did for Assassins Creed and give it a year off.

If you take this cover art at face value while being completely ignorant of the current political climate and extremist agendas bombarding everyone 24 hours a day from every conceivable angle, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.. Seems fine.

Problem is, ignoring the current political climate and the agendas is both impossible and ill-advised these days so what we are left with is something that is both intentionally political and emotionally charged but in a bad way in my opinion - not the least of which because I don't think such things can or should be so pervasive in escapist entertainment like videogames.

My problem with it is the image is not trying to make any meaningful statement or facilitate provoking thought or progressive conversation its intentionally trying to rile people up into a fury using racially and gender charged imagery with a not so subtle suggestion of advocating or approving of violence in one direction. That isn't good for anything but started shouting matches and pushing people further apart.

That said, speaking about actual videogame related stuff.... I hope they improve the AI in this new take...

This hasn't been the case for at least four years. Try to keep up with the times gramps.

Ill say the newer Assassins Creed games are a step in the right direction. Ubi just has this open world fetish and it all ends up being so similar. I still don't get the love for Wildlands tho. Far Cry 5 was a good entry but sometimes less is more, they need to rest FC a bit.

Top Bottom