• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed - FarCry: New Dawn

Wait, so the female (if they choose) POC are the villains?? Of course.

Purge white male developers ASAP.

stranno

I can sense a lazy Crackdown 2 vibe from this game. Jut throw the same engine, the same map and change a few assets here and there because ... you know, World's End and stuff.

Zewp

I can really tell you noped out lol.

The reactions here are tame compared to how Reset would respond to something they don’t like. There maybe have been a few hot tales but for the most part there hasn’t been anything close to reset levels of hyperbole.

Nice try.

He's not wrong. Gaf is way too obsessed with politics in videogames, to the point that it's often just as annoying as resetera. Sure, there are less obsessive anti-SJWs on Gaf than there are SJWs on Resetera, but they make up for it by being all the more louder. I mean, the first page of this thread is full of people whining about "woke" and "SJW", even though we had a single image to go on (and it's still going on, even after the trailer). But yeah, okay. There was no hyperbole here.

I wish the mods would make a subforum for politics in videogames, where all those kinds of discussions can be had. That way, those of us skirting the middle ground can discuss games without politics being shoved down our throats all the time.

Either way, game looks damn cool to me. :messenger_ok:

The funny thing is if you want great black characters in Far Cry game the very best place for them is as villains. Aside from FC3's Brody the protags tend to be underdeveloped in the series, but they always deliver great villains.

I don't know. I think Jason Brody also had a really weird and unbelievable arc. From someone with no combat experience to slaughtering vicious pirates in a few days.

Last edited:
White male gamer logic: *Sees black female protagonist* lol get your forced politics out of muh games! Strong white males only!

Anyways Farcry is so played out at this point hard pass.

Zewp

What is it with these alternate so-called non-SJW 'journalists' and not being able to create a functional website? The entire site jumps when you hover over the navbar, there are broken images all over the place, their ads are... I'm not sure whether they're intentionally implemented that way or just straight up broken (my bet is on the latter, consider the console is filled with errors and they're logging a bunch of shit to the console), their responsive styling is screwy (the background straight up breaks after a certain size).

If you're going to be an 'edgy' journalist, at least have some pride and commission someone to do your site properly. It's Wordpress. You can probably get away with offering as low as $100 for someone on Upwork to whip you up a decent Wordpress site.

Last edited:

Harlock

Is going to have death by snu snu?
18uiny995pi7ojpg.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
How do you know they are males?

90% of people on game forums are dudes. You're right though, I've run into some women and trans people who are anti-sjw snowflakes too (strangely the ones that associate with these types of topics tend to be lesbians taking a "not in my name" line I guess because activists act like all lgbtq people have the same politics)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So now that it turns out that the ladies on the cover are the villains do we now have go from one group of snowflakes complaining about a PC/SJW agenda to another complaining about racism and stereotyping?!

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'll just leave this here: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...nting-down-sjws-in-the-post-apocalypse/73073/

Thank you Ubisoft, for being inclusive to Antifa haters such as myself. I will do my best to restore peace, civilization and patriarchy.

Like other "anti-sjw" sites it farms reader outrage by caricaturing and cherry picking. Basically Fox News for gamers. Go try to source the details in that article there and realize it's mostly manufactured to trigger irrational tribalism about how terrible those other people are which in turn conveniently forms a protective shell around their simplistic world view

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Like other "anti-sjw" sites it farms reader outrage by caricaturing and cherry picking. Basically Fox News for gamers. Go try to source the details in that article there and realize it's mostly manufactured to trigger irrational tribalism about how terrible those other people are which in turn conveniently forms a protective shell around their simplistic world view

Sources? Examples? The 'Fox News' instead of 'CNN' remark makes your comment already suspicious.

zeorhymer

Lets see what this game will contain.... Open world broken up into sections. Each section must be "liberated." Once you clear enough sections, a "boss" will appear. There'll be "outposts" to clear. Eagle towers to open the map. Patrols will be driving around the road to stop you. Maybe include the bounty hunter system from AC Odyssey. Pet companion more than likely. Weapon upgrade system like AC.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread, when the only thing we had to go on was the box art:

Step 1: Far Cry cover is released.
Step 2: People make assumptions.
Step 3: Game is nothing like those assumptions.
Step 4: Forget any of this happened, and await the next Far Cry cover. It's the circle of life.

Remember the stereotypical "gay" villain in Far Cry 4? Remember the "deeply racist far-right" cult in Fallout 5? None of these things actually happened, and if you think Ubisoft is going to release a game that's not designed to appeal to a mainstream audience, I doubt you're right. Whatever form this game takes, I don't think it's going to be what any liberal or conservative extremists want it to be, and I don't think it's going to be making any controversial and divisive political statements that could harm potential sales.
It's also worth it to note that the last three Far Cry game covers have shown the antagonist in a position of power. If they continue that trend, those two girls will likely be the villains. And if that's true, and if this game IS somehow about gender or race (as the conclusions people are jumping to would suggest) you're going to be playing as a person fighting their tyranny.

But again, whatever they do, I think it's absolutely going to be designed to appeal to a mainstream audience.

Now we actually have details, and it would seem the plot of this game has nothing to do with race or gender, so why are we still talking about race and gender?

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Sources? Examples? The 'Fox News' instead of 'CNN' remark makes your comment already suspicious.

It's what political scientists call hyperpartisan media. Unfortunately mainstream game journalism has become politically polarized itself along with other forms of media and lifestyle reporting and commentary making it more like Huffington Post than The New York Times (with an alternate universe of facts supporting the woke party line) but that doesn't change how hyperpartisan that site is. Almost every story they regurgitate from other sources is polemically altered with little concern for facts or charitable interpretation to stoke outrage

johntown

Banned
I don't get it. Are these bi-yearly releases of games like this any good? I don't really how they could be. Ubisoft seems to be more and more like EA everyday.

thief183

I don't get it. Are these bi-yearly releases of games like this any good? I don't really how they could be. Ubisoft seems to be more and more like EA everyday.

We can say a lot of things... but the support ubisoft can put in their games is totally on another level.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Almost every story they regurgitate from other sources is polemically altered with little concern for facts or charitable interpretation to stoke outrage

What's so polemical of this article of theirs? They were right and provided facts before any big gaming sides that jumped straight to conclusions and congratulations.

Kadayi

Banned
Not getting the surprise over the Williams Sisters being the Villians tbh. Seems like the Villians have been on the cover of 3, 4 & 5.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Not getting the surprise over the Williams Sisters being the Villians tbh. Seems like the Villians have been on the cover of 3, 4 & 5.
But question is: Are they gonna last the entire game alive and as villains or are they going to be replaced by another less than interesting villain after midgame? It takes some guts to make a non-white char with traits of "big bad guy/girl" and stick with that until the very end. I have to admit that even though I considered those two sisters just plain assholes.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread, when the only thing we had to go on was the box art:

Now we actually have details, and it would seem the plot of this game has nothing to do with race or gender, so why are we still talking about race and gender?

Have you been around the internet lately people love to argue about this shit and if their is nothing to argue about they manufacture it. (Both Sides)

Calibos

Finally, a new target for haters has emerged. Now I can play Battlefield and Fallout 76 in peace. This game has B.O.M.B written all over it...it's way too soon to go back to Hope County and the game appears to be amalgamating a bunch of games and ideas together to capitalize on them...Mad Max, Rage, Fallout Homefront, etc...

Far Cry Primal at least was completely different between main releases...this seem just terrible in almost every way to me.

edit: I am a gigantic Far Cry fan too.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
am i alone, who sees this game as their test ground for Far Cry RPG? to use monitization further? why you need health bar over the enemies heads? it is fishy...

RedVIper

Banned
The autism in this thread is amazing

One side is autistic because they can't see Activision Ubisoft is pandering.

The other is autistic for caring so fucking much.

So is this a single player game ?

The game is single player or you can play coop apparently.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I get the atomic bombs caused this new "Mad max" order but how they keep being isolated for the rest of the U.S./ World? I know videogames are just "games" but just imagine a Texas county its wasted by atomic winters meanwhile the rest of the country keep living like if nothing happened.

Last edited:
The autism in this thread is amazing

One side is autistic because they can't see Activision is pandering.

The other is autistic for caring so fucking much.

My son's autistic because he was born that way. Glad we are all clear on who's autistic. Now can you stop being retarded and get back on topic.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte
I don't get the outrage.

Anyway, it's far cry. It's going to be an ok game and that's it.
there is no outrage at least from people with any brain, its soo obvious that ubisoft is basically begging for word of mouth via outrage that its eye rolling.

Finally, a new target for haters has emerged. Now I can play Battlefield and Fallout 76 in peace. This game has B.O.M.B written all over it...it's way too soon to go back to Hope County and the game appears to be amalgamating a bunch of games and ideas together to capitalize on them...Mad Max, Rage, Fallout Homefront, etc...

Far Cry Primal at least was completely different between main releases...this seem just terrible in almost every way to me.

edit: I am a gigantic Far Cry fan too.
I mean seriously I just played Far Cry 5 this summer and this is coming out in February? Hahah I smell a asset flip, its going to be the exact same game. Way to early for a new Farcry.

Somehow I doubt that given the sheer amount of inclusive revisionism that took place throughout AC: Odyssey.

Same publisher, different development team.

I'm not saying the Far Cry team are stealth conservatives or anything, 5 pokes a little fun at Trump (though interestingly never names him by name) but just that they handle things in a far more even handed way than many modern devs.

Sygma

Wait, so the female (if they choose) POC are the villains?? Of course.

Purge white male developers ASAP.

should all villains be white ?

legit question, no baiting. Because even Pillars of Eternity 2 had a fuckton of poc baddies and no one cared. Why would it be any different in a far cry game

Raven117

Gold Member
Eye roll.

Everyone breathe into a paper bag, it will all be fine. Let's just see if the game is actually good. I totally dug Far Cry 5, but in light of early 2019, I;ll probably pass on this. Just too much good stuff going on at that time.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna make quite the omelette from this thread.

Shameful

Really not a fan of the candy coated gaudy neon apocalypse aesthetic. It's been popping up a lot lately and it just screams basic bitch, try-hard quirkiness. The sense of humor seems like that groan-inducingly self aware ironic tone, too. Doing over the top action with a constant wink & nod. Like Sunset Overdrive or the new RAGE game.

Totally misses the point imo, even concerning what makes comically over the top action, often times, funny. The humor comes from the juxtaposition of over the top action with a dead serious tone. If you're constantly pointing out how wacky and over the top you are with the aesthetic and writing it's just an annoyance.

So yeah the game looks p much like shit imo. I'll perhaps give it a second look if impressions are glowing but I'm just over and done with this trash style.

Klondyke

Banned
Meh, the setting does nothing for me.
Haven't been interested In a Far Cry game since and before Primal. That game was/is pure perfection In my eyes.

Vtecomega

Banned
No way Ubi has the balls to do this. 2 black women as villains? I can just imagine the outrage over at Era.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So now that it turns out that the ladies on the cover are the villains do we now have go from one group of snowflakes complaining about a PC/SJW agenda to another complaining about racism and stereotyping?!

This.

This goes to show just how silly it all is. One group gets mad that Far Cry 5 has a few white people as bad guys (must be agenda cause white people have never committed terrorist attacks in America /s)

New Far Cry game has black females as bad guys (OH must be a AGENDA to kill white men)

Villain is white, that is bad, must be agenda
Villain is black, that is bad, must be agenda
Villain is Robot, that is bad, must be agenda for robotics company.
Villain is a car, that is bad, must be agenda by bicycle company looking to slander car industry
Villain is bike, that is bad, must be agenda by car company in retaliation of game with car as Villain.

So this is just all dumb. Folks need to start just playing video games to actually PLAY VIDEO GAMES!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man, do you guy have make political case out of everything!!? Seriously WTF is happening in NeoGAF. It feels like people no longer interest in game itself rather they more interested controversy behind the game. Can we let game game come out first before screaming about SJW and go to the witch hunt?

Last edited:
Top Bottom