• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed - FarCry: New Dawn

EDMIX

I believe the correct outrage should be at Ubi releasing FC5 DLC and calling it a new game.

Well its not an old game lol

The price they have it as very much shows they get its simply Stand alone expansion. Like Uncharted did and Dying light.

Nothing wrong with that either as its not the same game. Might be the same map, but thats like saying you are mad that Witcher 3 has DLC that uses the same world map or something.....

Budget priced and doesn't seem to be trying to fool anyone into believing its at the full scale of a Far Cry that is numbered so I think its far.

EDMIX

Man, do you guy have make political case out of everything!!? Seriously WTF is happening in NeoGAF. It feels like people no longer interest in game itself rather they more interested controversy behind the game. Can we let game game come out first before screaming about SJW and got to the witch hunt?

I don't like that 2B has that thing on her face were she can't see, clearly a agenda by the National Eye institute or the NIH to get folks to fund their centers, not fooling me Square, aGeNDaZ!!! /s

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
It is weird to see all those newly-founded impartial voices, caring, nay CONCERNING about FC:ND and how one side makes political case out of everything?

I wonder, where were all of you when FC5 was revealed and game journalists and Neogaf itself wanted this game to push an agenda and push it hard?!

For those with elliptic memory:

You're faux impartiality and concern trolling when things don't go your way fools no one, guys, jus' sayin'.

Isn't it great not to have a monopoly on the microphone?

Dr.brain64

Nice I like the song in the trailer. The women look badass and overall a satifying trailer to watch. Call me curious.

The song -

Last edited:

plushyp

" they are not an interactive medium unlike games." Doesn't matter.

If you have a film in a city before a apocalypse and a film shot in the same city with a completely different concept, story etc simply just the same location, that doesn't mean you are watching the same film or anything like that.
Ah sorry, I forgot to post this and it got stuck as a draft. Again, it does matter because they are entirely different mediums where the user experience can be directed vs games where the developer doesn't know where the player goes (unless it is a heavily scripted shooter/game). There are a huge number of things and variables present in films that make the entire comparison above moot like directors, actors etc.

Lets do the same comparison with a game.

Days Gone...

Same location with infected, decaying building falling apart, broken down cars etc

Days Gained, the Days Gone prequel (lolz we just making this up)

Same location with regular humans, same buildings but intact and functional, running cars etc

You get it yet? The location isn't the only damn part of the game ,WHAT YOU DO is the game. It would be like if Suckerpunch wanted to do a mystery crime game and use the Settle location they used in InFamous Second Son...... so the city of Settle exist in real life, they'd have zero reason not to use the same city considering its of a different context, concept, genre etc.
You're going beyond what I said and I was specifically talking about reuse in Far Cry. I already understood what you're saying but your examples are not for Far Cry but other games which is not the point because I am specifically talking about something that has become common with Ubisoft Far Cry games and that is reusage. Here, the game is chronologically set after FC5 with flowers on top of the map and new weapons but the core gameplay loop will remain the same as can be seen from the videos.

When I play Yakuza, I'm playing for the story, missions, characters etc. Yes, they are in the same places sometimes, but the subject matter, mission etc are the real purpose, not a what a street or a building looks like.

JUST like you watching Cheers might be for the different situations happening in the show and not simply to see a different settings. I thought it would bother me with Yakuza, but after I played a few of them, I realized how dumb it was to even think that when you really, really think about.
You are bringing many other things into the equation which is similar to me telling you that if you've played Resident Evil then you don't need to play Cold Fear because they are both third person horror. In this very case, Far Cry always has been an FPS and Ubisoft loves reusing as much as possible to release games within such a short span of time. The FC formula by Ubisoft has mostly remained the same from FC3 onwards so the experience turns out to be shallow and becomes old wine in a new bottle. But very rarely, we get something inventive like Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

EDMIX

Ah sorry, I forgot to post this and it got stuck as a draft. Again, it does matter because they are entirely different mediums where the user experience can be directed vs games where the developer doesn't know where the player goes (unless it is a heavily scripted shooter/game). There are a huge number of things and variables present in films that make the entire comparison above moot like directors, actors etc.

You're going beyond what I said and I was specifically talking about reuse in Far Cry. I already understood what you're saying but your examples are not for Far Cry but other games which is not the point because I am specifically talking about something that has become common with Ubisoft Far Cry games and that is reusage. Here, the game is chronologically set after FC5 with flowers on top of the map and new weapons but the core gameplay loop will remain the same as can be seen from the videos.

You are bringing many other things into the equation which is similar to me telling you that if you've played Resident Evil then you don't need to play Cold Fear because they are both third person horror. In this very case, Far Cry always has been an FPS and Ubisoft loves reusing as much as possible to release games within such a short span of time. The FC formula by Ubisoft has mostly remained the same from FC3 onwards so the experience turns out to be shallow and becomes old wine in a new bottle. But very rarely, we get something inventive like Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

Ok but the concept is the same. You are playing for the content in regards to an expansion, the idea is to expand on that existing world. No different then a episode of a show. You don't watch the next ep of a show expecting a different cast, setting etc. That doesn't mean the show is not enjoyable as the CONTENT of the show is why you are watching, not to keep seeing a different story, location, character etc.

The exact concept very much can be done with games with expansions as the whole idea is to EXPAND on the world they made in terms of content. Reusing that world is perfectly fine as its relevant to Far Cry 5 seeing how its an expansion. The thing you do in a game is what is important vs the location. Yakuza series and Far Cry have made great use of this concept as it legit makes zero sense to keep making a "new" city to push the same ideas and concepts. The story is different, the town is the same.

Top Bottom