• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: PS4 Slim supports 5GHz wifi

5Ghz supports higher bandwidth and is less susceptible to interference from other access points broadcasting on 5Ghz. However it is pathetic through walls and therefore has less range than 2.4Ghz.

5GHz supports 80MHz channel and 2.4GHz band in the US is only 72MHz wide. Even with the lower SNR of the 5GHz band you'll end up with more bandwidth using an 80MHz ac channel instead of 40MHz n.

Cute but.... Should of been in the first one. I can't clap for stuff like this tbh. Since I'm wired now, this is good to know because this basically confirms that neo will have it as well and I'll possibly get that once mines officially kicks the bucket.

Cute but.... Should of been in the first one. I can't clap for stuff like this tbh. Since I'm wired now, this is good to know because this basically confirms that neo will have it as well and I'll possibly get that once mines officially kicks the bucket.

Should of been in the first one

Should of

tumblr_lf3ubgOMuq1qzjlcb.gif

But is it N or even AC? This is the real question.

That it is. Looks like the person who took the screen just has a 2.4 router. We'll have to wait for someone else to confirm.

Mikey Jr.

I don't know why people made out it was such a big deal in the first place. The 2.4hz did the job fine .

Maybe because its faster.......

Dunno, just some stupid theory I have.

Non-stupid answer for everyone else. I get 60mbps on 2.4, and 90-100mbps on 5g on my phone. My PS4 is in the same room as my router. I am ready.

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't necessarily mean anything though.
Let's try again.

When you have only one option for WiFi it didn't show this info (actual PS4) but the new model shows that info (PS4 Slim) because it have another option.

There is no other option for WiFi frequency instead 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

BigEmil

5Ghz supports higher bandwidth and is less susceptible to interference from other access points broadcasting on 5Ghz. However it is pathetic through walls and therefore has less range than 2.4Ghz.
I have only 1 wall between the router and the ps4 that ok to properly use the 5ghz?

Iorv3th

I have only 1 wall between the router and the ps4 that ok to properly use the 5ghz?

Probably. Really what you want to measure is feet from the device to device. I can get 5GHZ in my bedroom which is through 3 walls, but it's weak. Really it's weak is just because of the distance.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Unless it's 40cm thick reinforced concrete, it'll be totally fine.

My desktop PC is on 5Ghz wireless and it's a room away with a wall in between and reception is 99-100% at all times. It's also way more stable and faster than 2.4Ghz.

joebruin

options are good but gonna laugh when people who's routers aren't near their console get mad that 5ghz isn't better for them :)

Gradly

More options is always good news.

Regarding wired vs WiFi connection, I only have Mobile Internet MiFi/Huawei so I only connect all my devices wirelessly however, my Huawei MiFi has a LAN port that I can use to attach a cable directly. Would it matter if I connect the PS4 via a cable or it doesn't matter cuz the Internet source is still mobile?!

$50 no-contract/carrier-less phones have 5GHz WiFi. Sony deserves zero recognition for this. This should have been there day 1.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My $59 Roku had better wifi than the PS4.
Hopefully this means the Slim will have something that isn't terrible.

Technically the old school wireless A waas 5GHz, but nothing uses that anymore. Modern 5GHz is N or AC only

Maybe the OG will get a Jeff Rigby style update to unlock 5GHz
LOL no. Your guesses mirror mine in your last few posts. It's easier to support HDMI 2 given a TEE than it is a 5 Ghz WiFi.

When Sony released a console in 2013 without 5Ghz, my mind was screaming "what year is this!".

My tv I had only bought months before that year supported both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Damn thing should have been here day one. Better late than never I guess.

Seth

Does it really matter? PSN is dirt slow. I use an ethernet cable and still watch even small downloads take hours.... I have a 300mb connection.

Top Bottom