• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: PS4 Slim supports 5GHz wifi

EvB

Does it really matter? PSN is dirt slow. I use an ethernet cable and still watch even small downloads take hours.... I have a 300mb connection.

It will matter for people that use wifi and live in urban environments, as if you are getting interference and packet loss, then it's no fun for gamers.

Too bad download speeds via PSN will still be absolute garbage though, and thus not really able to take true advantage of 5Ghz.

Even ethernet speeds are terrible most of the time, compared to what they should be.

Not for me. I regularly download 1gb+ files in a matter of minutes. Been like that since getting ps4 on launch day here in the UK. On 70 mb fiber optic connection, which I'm sure helps.
Too bad a lot of people don't get the speeds their connection delivers though.

AC would be awesome, but overall speed would also depend on the number of antennae/streams. Though even if it didn't have AC, 802.11n over 5 Ghz alone is a huge boon, since it should take advantage of 40 Mhz channel width.

When I had my Xbox One, its maximum data rate on 5G was 300 Mbps, and speed tests through the Edge browser would show it damn near hit my data cap (we get about 130 Mbps down).

Does it really matter? PSN is dirt slow. I use an ethernet cable and still watch even small downloads take hours.... I have a 300mb connection.

Interesting you say that. My PS4's wired to my bridged router and connection tests show consistent results of over 100 Mbps.

I bought a network adepter thing for my fat ps4. Lived a month on 2.4ghz hell, and my internet traffic was too slow/congested by other 2.4ghz channels in the area

For those on the fat ps4, there is hope. Im still a little sour that fat ps4 didnt have it, but the adaptor is great

Definitely not disagreeing on that, but Sony always seems to be a generation behind on wifi. Didn't the OG PSP only have Wireless B?

The designs of the DS and PSP were probably finalized right around the time of 802.11g adoption. However, Nintendo did the right thing and added it to later revisions. Don't quote me on this, but AFAIK no PSP revision ever got Wireless-G support - not even the fucking digital-only PSP Go.

AmuroChan

It certainly does if you live in an area like mine where PSN speeds are just fine.

le-seb

Interesting you say that. My PS4's wired to my bridged router and connection tests show consistent results of over 100 Mbps.
It's never too late for people to understand that the network speed ISPs advertise/offer are never guaranteed, or at least aren't guaranteed outside of the ISP's own network.

One could have a 1 Gbps connection and still couldn't get more than 10 Mbps from a given site, because the ISP's peering link involved in building up the connection between its network and the one the said server is hosted on is just bad and saturates.

noomi

Oh man, thank you lawd!

5Gz is so good with the right router, I get speeds of 150Mbps over wifi it's so good.

I actually run my steam link on my 5GHz network and it's better than wired (wired steam link only supports 100Mbps)

mboojigga

What Sony deserves for adding it =/= If it makes the Slim more attractive.

Funny because I don't see how it makes it more attractive when most either don't understand wireless in general giving out false and misinformation or no clue what 2.4 or 5gz and the difference up until your post.

Chao

My 2008 macbook pro connects to 5ghz wifi just fine. A 2013 console that encourages you to download 50gb games couldn't do it until this revision.

It's not something we should celebrate, we should be pissed at sony for not including it in the first place

Salmon

98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
Aww shit, neo is a confirmed buy for me now. Sony done did it:,)

If it has AC omg.

I'd love if most video games companies and gamers would deal with bufferbloat. Not using a packet scheduler these days is suicide if you value latency. The studies have been done yet most companies short of riot have done shit on the issue which pathetic cause fixing bufferbloat is a plus for all involved.

By the way, the 360 had 5ghz wireless in one of the revisions (the N adapter IRC), I thought the PS4 would have it by default (as the X1 does).

Sony cheaped out. xD

Xbox One Released in November and it has dual band capability.

Yes, but with the N standard only of course.

5ghz makes a much bigger difference with the new AC standard.

With the "old" N standard it helps because the 5ghz band is less congested so you get much cleaner signal (with shorter range). But it's not a huge difference in speed compared to 2.4 Ghz.

AC works only on the 5Ghz band and the speed boost should be significant

mboojigga

Yes, but with the N standard only of course.

5ghz makes a much bigger difference with the new AC standard.

With the "old" N standard it helps because the 5ghz band is less congested so you get much cleaner signal (with shorter range). But it's not a huge difference in speed compared to 2.4 Ghz.

The speed boost should be equivalent to Ethernet. Anyone with a XB3 modem from Comcast should see the difference in speeds. If you run a speed test with a 75Mb package with 2.4 on average the speeds will be between 45-55Mb. 5gz AC will be 75-90.

LCGeek

formerly sane

You should probably put an asterisk and say if you are getting those speeds from ISP then you should notice. Otherwise you will only notice AC speeds within your own internal network once its goes on to the internet you will only have bandwidth as good as the host you're connecting too.

Here's a nice picture on the actual difference, doubt most will appreciate the bigger ones.

It's not just Maximum Speed/bandwidth that's important without better modulation, channels bandwidth or MIMO no way we could have AC.

Wireless and Wired should never be compared. Wireless is not duplex based. ethernet drivers also don't suffer from bufferbloat the same way, though wireless has had some great improvements to it in the last year or two on the subect.

The speed boost should be equivalent to Ethernet. Anyone with a XB3 modem from Comcast should see the difference in speeds. If you run a speed test with a 75Mb package with 2.4 on average the speeds will be between 45-55Mb. 5gz AC will be 75-90.

Yes, basically with 5Ghz AC almost everyone should theoretically max out their internet connection unless they have Google Fiber or something similar with 1 Gigabit download/upload :)

Still, wired ethernet is always the way to go, if you can.

Problem is PSN is often very slow and that has nothing to do with the actual wired/wireless connection of the console

Cc23830

Not for me. I regularly download 1gb+ files in a matter of minutes. Been like that since getting ps4 on launch day here in the UK. On 70 mb fiber optic connection, which I'm sure helps.
Too bad a lot of people don't get the speeds their connection delivers though.

How is this possible. Im on 56mb Fibre in the uk and my ps4 downloads at 6mb a second ethernet connected.. argghhh

risq_aus

Banned
If this is that big a deal to anyone I have to ask why you aren't using a wired connection in the first place?

Sure the extra bandwidth might be nice but this isn't going to help you get a better multiplayer connection seeing as though you're still affected by wifi latency.

Maybe it'll help you download your ps plus games quicker?

mboojigga

Yes, basically with 5Ghz AC almost everyone should theoretically max out their internet connection unless they have Google Fiber or something similar with 1 Gigabit download/upload :)

Still, wired ethernet is always the way to go, if you can.

Problem is PSN is often very slow and that has nothing to do with the actual wired/wireless connection of the console

This is also why no one should trust what their speeds say on the Xbox One or PS3, 4 or televisions. No way to control what server you are pinging to get an accuracy of speeds

How is this possible. Im on 56mb Fibre in the uk and my ps4 downloads at 6mb a second ethernet connected.. argghhh

Of all network services I use, PSN is definitely the worse: unreliable and inconsistent.

Every other service, be it on consoles or on pc (except Nintendo's which I don't use so I can't say) is definitely more reliable and faster.

The only service I can't use my full bandwidth (250mb) with is PSN. While I can download a 60gb game in half an hour even on uplay, a simple 3gb patch on PSN can be slow as hell.

Sony should update their store before caring about AC wireless xD

Cc23830

Of all network services I use, PSN is definitely the worse: unreliable and inconsistent.

Every other service, be it on consoles or on pc (except Nintendo's which I don't use so I can't say) is definitely more reliable and faster.

The only service I can't use my full bandwidth (250mb) with is PSN. While I can download a 60gb game in half an hour even on uplay, a simple 3gb patch on PSN can be slow as hell.

Sony should update their store before caring about AC wireless xD

This is my problem. I can download happily on any other system / Pc / tv streaming but my PS4 Is just useless.

Eusis

Ha! Link broke for the second pic, had to fix it :p

"Frequency band in use" is a new section to that status page. Why would it exist anyways if multiple bands weren't supported?
To be complete assholes and taunt you about how they won't put in 5 GHz, unless you buy the Neo.

Or because like you said they have 5 GHz in and they're not petty little assholes that way. That's for system updates to current PS4s.

To everyone saying wired is better, we know. But not everyone has the ability to go wired, even the outlet things aren't compatible with all homes. Let us wireless folks enjoy an upgrade.

Top Bottom