• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: USA Gamestop PS3 pre-orders start today (10/10).

lynux3

So, does the actual $100 go into the purchase or is it just a "reservation" price and then have to put down $600 for the PlayStation 3 itself?

Wollan

lynux3 said:
So, does the actual $100 go into the purchase or is it just a "reservation" price and then have to put down $600 for the PlayStation 3 itself?

100$ into the purchase.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've been told about the conference call today. It happened between 3:00 and 3:45 pm central time. Tomorrow is the real deal.

Stench

Banned
K WHAT HTE HELL GUYS

IM SEEING THE WORD "CANADA" WRITTEN HERE A LOT ALL OF A SUDDEN AND I'M STARTING TO FREAK THE HELL OUT

The guy at one of the EBs I called was WAAAAAY too quick in his "No" reply as well, which makes things even more interesting...

Flo_Evans

called 2 local stores both confirmed tommorow morning, but wouldn't give me thier allotment # :(

they also said that no one was camping out...yet

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stench said:
K WHAT HTE HELL GUYS

IM SEEING THE WORD "CANADA" WRITTEN HERE A LOT ALL OF A SUDDEN AND I'M STARTING TO FREAK THE HELL OUT

The guy at one of the EBs I called was WAAAAAY too quick in his "No" reply as well, which makes things even more interesting...

My point exactly!

Nobody better ****ing camp out. I'm going first thing and I just need to be within the first 8 to preorder?

artist

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
usa, north carolina. :/
Oh, thanks for clarifying.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
My point exactly!

Nobody better ****ing camp out. I'm going first thing and I just need to be within the first 8 to preorder?
Why are you guys freaking out?

I'm sure very few GAFFers are canadians. Even then it doesnt matter as long as we live far away from each other. :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
oh shit!!!!!!!

I called the ghetto gamestop near me and the idiot said the 20th, I know him he will probably steal or wart off people pre-ordering.

then i called on 100 miles away from me,

Confirmed tomorrow 100 dollars DOWN

This is it. Calling out tomorrow.

Unison

NYC Gamestops seem to know nothing. They are probably lying. :lol

I bet no one in the city will get a system from one of those stores unless they have an in with an employee.

Unison said:
NYC Gamestops seem to know nothing. They are probably lying. :lol

I bet no one in the city will get a system from one of those stores unless they have an in with an employee.

That's what my local Gamestop & EBgames said. "No, not yet". I mean WTF. Is this happening or not?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The Gamestop guy I spoke to was like... you're really like the first person I've told...and I got the impression he really didn't want to tell anyone and still couldn't figure out why he told me... uh.. wtf?

Fu*k this.

I just called 2 EBs and 2 Gamestops--only 1 of them said they were taking pre-orders tomorrow. This is how it went down:

Drone: Thanks for calling X. My name is X, how can I help you?

Me: Hi, are you guys taking PS3 pre-orders tomorrow?

Drone: [[pauses, then extremely hushed]] Yes. But it's going to be very, very limited.

Me: How is it going to work?

Drone: [[still hushed]] Put $100 down and that's it. Goes towards price of the system.

Me: Are you guys taking X number of pre-orders based on how many units you're getting, or an unlimited number?

Drone: [[even lower]] We're only taking a certain number. Very limited.

Me: How many units are you getting?

Drone: [[back to normal voice]] I'm not allowed to divulge that.

Me: Really?

Drone: Really.

Me: Um, well if I pre-order, am I guaranteed to get a PS3 at launch?

Drone: No.

Me: Not at all?

Drone: No. Definitely not guaranteed even if you pre-order.

Me: [[speechless]]

Drone: Hello??

So...fu*k it, you guys can camp out, get there early, whatever. I'm officially out of the PS3 launch unless I end up getting lucky online or cave in and pay eBay prices to get one.

DarienA said:
The Gamestop guy I spoke to was like... you're really like the first person I've told...and I got the impression he really didn't want to tell anyone and still couldn't figure out why he told me... uh.. wtf?

I kinda got that too. One of the guys sounded like he didnt want to tell anyone. It was like he changed up his answer as soon as "PS---" came out of my mouth.

newsguy

Ok, 100% confirmed for me now. He said the store will get 16 and 14 will be available to the public. Also, what he said about pre-ordering accessories is that they get 16 no matter what, but if people who have one pre-order games and accessories the store will get more. In other words IF YOU SELL GAMES AND ACCESSORIES, EMPLOYEES GET A BETTER SHOT OF GETTING THE PS3. It's more like a sales incentive for them than anything else.

J-Rzez

Guys... I just got owned... They ARE taking preorders tom... the store manager called me immediately when she got off a conf call... $100 down, one day only...

ManaByte

Gold Member
PhatSaqs said:
Not guranteed?

WTF would be the purpose of first come first serve?

Seinfeld_s7e6.jpg

Y2Kev

PhatSaqs said:
Not guranteed?

WTF would be the purpose of first come first serve?

Sounds like an overtly dismissive drone.

These are probably guaranteed. I read that gamestop gets 80,000 total, so 8 per store seems pretty fair.

quaere

gamergirly said:
I kinda got that too. One of the guys sounded like he didnt want to tell anyone. It was like he changed up his answer as soon as "PS---" came out of my mouth.
yeah, I got a call, but it was really strange.

"Hello, this is EB Games. Since you preordered a game, we are calling to let you know that we are going to be opening preorders for, uhhhhhhhhh, ummmmm, the item, tomorrow at 10AM. It's $100 down. We are going to have 14, first come first served. So if you want to preorder......the item, come down early"

Seemed like he specifically didn't want to say "Playstation".

J-Rzez

Vincey37 said:
yeah, I got a call, but it was really strange.

"Hello, this is EB Games. Since you preordered a game, we are calling to let you know that we are going to be opening preorders for, uhhhhhhhhh, ummmmm, the item, tomorrow at 10AM. It's $100 down. We are going to have 14, first come first served. So if you want to preorder......the item, come down early"

Never mentioned the word "Playstation". Could be the Wii for all I know...

It's the PS3... trust me...

BuddyC

Confirmed here as well. Looks like I'm skipping my 10 AM class tomorrow, good thing she doesn't take attendance.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
Allocations for Boulder, CO EBGames. ~15 PS3s.

Edit: I should probably add that this is the highest grossing EBGames/GameStop/Babbages in the state. Good luck if you live in the boonies, you're going to need it.

Y2Kev

BuddyC said:
Confirmed here as well. Looks like I'm skipping my 10 AM class tomorrow, good thing she doesn't take attendance.

You need dronebots! As in, "Hello, friendly friend, what are you doing at 9 AM tomorrow? Nothing? Oh, good, you're standing in line for me! Here's 100 dollars, leave your homework on my doorstep and I shall do it!"

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gamergirly said:

Ok so it wasn't just me... weird.

FtsH

just came back from Gamestop, yes they are doing it tomorrow, 10:00am. They will have about 8 PS3s.

I will be there at about 9:15.........:D

Wollan

Rileq1 has updated, here is his employee mail:

"Attn Store Personnell:

On Tuesday, OCT. 10th 2006, you will begin taking reservations on the Sony PS3 under sku xxxxxx (Premium) and sku xxxxxx (Core). YOU MAY NOT BEGIN TAKING RESERVATIONS FOR THE PS3 PRIOR TO OCT 10th, 2006! Reservations are to be processed on a "first come-first served" basis for your customers. Under NO circumstances are reservation "places in line" to be held for customers. Our online reservation program will be activated at a future date: online reservations will be available as "bundle only".

No forced bundles or any other customer "requirements" are allowed (our online reservation policy may vary). Reservations will be limited to one system per household (customer is allowed to reserve one PS3 and one Wii, if desired).
As these systems are in short supply and high demand, all stores are being allocated on their reserve quantity. Stores are not allowed to reserve above their assigned reservation allocation for any reason.

Your assigned allocation for the PS3 is x units TOTAL between the 2 system choices. You are only allowed to reserve x units TOTAL of PS3. No more than 2 of these systems can be set aside to be purchased by store employees.

Top Bottom