• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Opinion Congressional Threats Make Twitter and Facebook Censorship A Free-Speech Violation.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
Conventional wisdom holds that technology companies are free to regulate content because they are private, and the First Amendment protects only against government censorship. That view is wrong: Google, Facebook and Twitter should be treated as state actors under existing legal doctrines. Using a combination of statutory inducements and regulatory threats, Congress has co-opted Silicon Valley to do through the back door what government cannot directly accomplish under the Constitution.

Jack talking about going de-centralized, is it possible he was coerced?

Last edited:

Arimer

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2018
That's a very good point that i think isn't going to be worried about until its too late. If our politicians are using this system to effectively communicate with the public and do PR and other stuff when does it become a government form of communication? Can they block you? Can they mute you? Must they be open to you for DM's?

I don't typically support this action against Parler because they haven't shown what percent of the userbase is rule breaking? If its overwhelmingly violent and white supremacy that's one thing. But if its a small minority that's the price of freedom. Any freedom given a person is going to be used by a minority for bad. It's just simple fact. Do we keep giving up freedoms because of the worst of us or do we tolerate that as a price for the rest of us.

Reactions: Amiga

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
Capitol riot gave them the excuse to go full boar. MAGA supporters signed their own death warrent with that move as most likely with Bizzle and Dem control your going to see a Patriot act style bill but against MAGA/DRUMPF.

Eventually this is all leading to CCP style rule. The elites have seen that Chinas way is the better way to make money and have control. Its coming not much one can do to stop it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
If the most effective form of seeking redress is through a very narrow range of social apps, then it must be available to any citizen who wishes to do so, especially if the government uses tax dollars to utilize those channels and appoints the CEOs from those companies to agencies and think-tanks and cabinets.

Imagine the outcry of "no taxation without representation" getting a reply of "well... you can't have a representative, but if you have your own private seafaring vessel and your own employees who wish to represent you, you're welcome to make the trip".

Oh wait that's exactly what happened.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
That's a very good point that i think isn't going to be worried about until its too late. If our politicians are using this system to effectively communicate with the public and do PR and other stuff when does it become a government form of communication? Can they block you? Can they mute you? Must they be open to you for DM's?

I don't typically support this action against Parler because they haven't shown what percent of the userbase is rule breaking? If its overwhelmingly violent and white supremacy that's one thing. But if its a small minority that's the price of freedom. Any freedom given a person is going to be used by a minority for bad. It's just simple fact. Do we keep giving up freedoms because of the worst of us or do we tolerate that as a price for the rest of us.
It has already been decided that these platforms are accepted as government form of communication. That is why Trump legally was not allowed to ban or mute his critics

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I'd be interested in seeing Glen's proof that they "only" did it after Dems demanded it. I suspect it had a lot more to do with the decision making processes at the tech firms than any demands from Dem politicians.

Reactions: DeafTourette

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio
I'd be interested in seeing Glen's proof that they "only" did it after Dems demanded it. I suspect it had a lot more to do with the decision making processes at the tech firms than any demands from Dem politicians.

It's purely coincidental that there's a revolving door of former social media execs moving to work on left leaning political campaigns. Causation? No. Suspicious? Yes.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020

Most the working and exec class in Tech companies are liberals, progressives etc. Some of the leading execs in Silicon Valley are former democrat heavy lifters.

Additionally under the threat of unionization or industrial action, these companies are sometimes forced to listened to them.

New Google union slams YouTube for ‘lackluster’ response to Trump and Capitol mob

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Most the working and exec class in Tech companies are liberals, progressives etc. Some of the leading execs in Silicon Valley are former democrat heavy lifters.

Additionally under the threat of unionization or industrial action, these companies are sometimes forced to listened to them.

New Google union slams YouTube for ‘lackluster’ response to Trump and Capitol mob
It's purely coincidental that there's a revolving door of former social media execs moving to work on left leaning political campaigns. Causation? No. Suspicious? Yes.

Just because their interests are aligned doesn't mean that one is taking direction from the other.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Just because their interests are aligned doesn't mean that one is taking direction from the other.

Action doesn't necessarily mean collusion, it could also mean coercion especially when you're overwhelming in the minority (if they so are).

A lot of big techs actions doesn't necessarily line up with the prior actions and their implicit (so may call it explicit) biases are showing.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Action doesn't necessarily mean collusion, it could also mean coercion especially when you're overwhelming in the minority (if they so are).

A lot of big techs actions doesn't necessarily line up with the prior actions and their implicit (so may call it explicit) biases are showing.

Is there any reason to expect corporations to not have political/cultural biases? I don't think so. If your company does better under one party than the other you're going to support one party over the other in any number of ways.

Now if you could prove that the leadership of these companies were hurting their bottom line in both the short and long terms---and by extension the shareholders---with their biases you might have something to work with.

Even what are supposed to be pure news services are biased today, not sure why you'd expect better from big tech.

In the case of the account bans and parler deplatforming it doesn't have to be bias, it could simply be damage reduction. If I'm more worried about lawsuits that will happen if I don't ban/deplatform than the ones that will happen if I do I might do exactly what they've done. You don't need a conspiracy when profit motive itself will do the trick for you.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I thought I made it clear that it was merely suspicious and not evidence
Since I was calling for Glenn's evidence suspicions aren't much use.

Maybe I'll demand that they inaugurate Joe Biden. Then when it happens Glenn can run a story about how it "only" happened after I demanded it.

Jack Dorsey has made it pretty obvious he doesn't give a shit what Congress thinks.

Last edited:

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Capitol riot gave them the excuse to go full boar. MAGA supporters signed their own death warrent with that move as most likely with Bizzle and Dem control your going to see a Patriot act style bill but against MAGA/DRUMPF.

Eventually this is all leading to CCP style rule. The elites have seen that Chinas way is the better way to make money and have control. Its coming not much one can do to stop it.

That was my biggest fear seeing the riots. Dems are gonna use this to fast-track 1984.

Reactions: CatLady

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Is there any reason to expect corporations to not have political/cultural biases? I don't think so. If your company does better under one party than the other you're going to support one party over the other in any number of ways.

Now if you could prove that the leadership of these companies were hurting their bottom line in both the short and long terms---and by extension the shareholders---with their biases you might have something to work with.

I think this statement is no longer true in the corporate world unless a corporation still subscribes to the Milton Freedman school of thought. There has been a massive shift away from shareholder value to stakeholder value.

And political pandering does play a key role in shaping corporate strategy for many companies, take NYT for instance, before Trump they were on the verge of going under but now around 90.0% of their readership identifies as democrat (I think Glenn brought up that statistic in his previous conversations) and they are a fairly profitable company now.

This may not apply to big tech since they're an oligopoly and have the capital and market share to determine direction, so it may not hurt their bottomline since people have no alternative.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Jan 18, 2017
Gotta give props to jack for explaining, Apple, Google, FB, isn’t gonna tell you shit.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I know it would never happen, but if the House censured their reps who called for censorship it would probably get a whole lot of people looking at them differently (in a positive light).