• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker available for use in Project Spark

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It is. He's voicing Conker for the Project Spark add-on.
Well than if anything it's going to be pleasing to my ears to hear some new Conker voice work even if I got no intention of getting this game (Create your own content type of game like Little Big Planet etc. never interested me).

RK128

Seems fair enough. I don't get the salt over this.You guys are fans of a property the company owns and wanted to use it.
Kudos to all of you at Team Dakota and good luck. Project Spark is really fun to use (I'm on Win8 beta)

Didn't mean to sound bitter to Team Dakota; Project Spark looks really cool and was one of the games (outside of Sunset Overdrive) to really impress me last E3 :D. Its great you guys love Conker and are giving him a faithful and proper iteration of him within Project Spark; its just that many of us here are bitter with Microsoft's treatment of Rare....so our frustration isn't directed at Project Spark at all, just squarely at Microsoft.

Good luck making Spark great and I can't wait to see what people do with it; has tons of potential to offer great content :D.

MCD

Didn't mean to sound bitter to Team Dakota; Project Spark looks really cool and was one of the games (outside of Sunset Overdrive) to really impress me last E3 :D. Its great you guys love Conker and are giving him a faithful and proper iteration of him within Project Spark; its just that many of us here are bitter with Microsoft's treatment of Rare....so our frustration isn't directed at Project Spark at all, just squarely at Microsoft.

Good luck making Spark great and I can't wait to see what people do with it; has tons of potential to offer great content :D.

This.

The team at Project Spark can use whatever character from whatever game they want. It's just, it really hit us hard, you know?

Kinsei

Banned
It feels like a really big fuck you. Oh well, I guess this means I get to save the money I would have spent on an XBone this fall for Sunset Overdrive.

It's like MS was playing broken telephone :
"It would really spark fan interest if there was a new Conker project coming out"

"I think fans want Conker in Project Spark"

RdN

Biggest disappointment for me.. I got all hyped, and then it all just faded so quickly.

Hopefully it's something that will be revealed next year.

Caayn

News is a bit double sided for me. First of, I'm glad that Team Dakota has access to characters from MS owned IPs. Second it's disappointing to not a see a game from a Rare IP, and felt like a slap in when Conker said what he did in the trailer.

I'm happy for Team Dakota and realize that they aren't responsible for the lack old Rare IPs. If MS had a Conker game up their sleeves, this news would've been received a lot more positive.
Appreciate that you took the time to drop by on this busy morning.

Doffen

Unfortunately I won't be able to play it. After this stunt I won't be buying an XBone unless they release a Conker game for it.

I really don't see it as a stunt. It was a big logo of Project Spark, and only wild dreams could have lead you to believe that they would announce a Conker reboot within another game's trailer.

Yeah, watching the conference that moment was a huge emotional swing for me. The very second Conker came up on the screen, my mind was literally screaming "OMG! OMG! OMG new Conker game! new Conker game! It's happening! This is a megaton!".

... and then the rest of the bit played and announced he was just becoming a character in Project Spark. I immediately drained of any excitement. What could have possibly been the moment of the show, for me personally anyway, turned out to be one giant disappointment. Which pretty much summarizes my feelings towards the Xbox One in general actually.

Kinsei

Banned
I really don't see it as a stunt. It was a big logo of Project Spark, and only wild dreams could have lead you to believe that they would announce a Conker reboot within another game's trailer.

Which he then proceeded to saw in half. I was totally expecting that fairy thing to fly off crying while Conker pulled out the logo of his new game.

Hey All,

Apologies for not dropping by earlier. I'm the community manager on Team Dakota, the creators of Project Spark. Things have been pretty busy this morning, but wanted to let you know we've been following this thread and others.

That's a completely understandable way to look at it. And it makes sense that anyone who was eagerly hoping to hear the announcement of a new Conker game (and there's many of you, clearly) would be at least somewhat let down.

For what it's worth, I want to give you Team Dakota's perspective. Not that it will (or should) change your mind, but so you at least have a little insight on how we're looking at it.

We love games. Old games, new games, classic games. Conker is something many of us grew up with. We love the heck out of the crazy little guy and we want to hang out with him as much as you guys do, possibly more.

Project Spark is a game that is designed to empower gamers by giving them the tools to make any kind of game they want. It's about letting you make your own rules, instead of just following the rules someone else decided to impose on you regarding how you want to play and experience your games.

Project Spark is a free digital download that anyone can play on Xbox One and Windows 8, the beta version is available right now. We're hoping to support this model is by creating the equivalent of "skins" in the form of DLC packs that provide different assets and visuals to allow creators added flexibility in creating whatever their hearts desire.

This is a pretty good overall model, since it requires us to only focus on the type of DLC we know our community will find valuable. We're a small team with limited resources, so we have to be very selective in what we spend our time creating. Conker has such a passionate and diehard following he was the clear first choice for us.

We're still working out the details of exactly how and when Conker will be available in Project Spark. At the moment, the team is heads down finishing up our Sci-Fi themed, "Galaxies," our multi-chapter adventure Champions Quest, and our multiplayer over Xbox Live feature.

We'll be releasing more details on our plans for Conker in the future. Please know that we love and respect Conker and his (in)famous history. We're huge fans of everyone at Rare and we're a very community-driven team that is always looking for your ideas and feedback. Please let us know your thoughts on what you'd consider the best and most respectful way for us to honor Conker in Project Spark.

One final note on Conker’s line in our trailer. It was important to us to be as true and genuine to Conker as possible. Not only was it important to get Conker’s voice right, it was equally important to let Conker be Conker. He’s not one to pull any punches, and it wouldn’t have made sense for him to gloss over the fact he hasn’t had a game in almost a decade. We were poking fun at ourselves, certainly not the dedicated Conker fans.

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota
Quoted for the new page.

Sydle

Hey All,

Apologies for not dropping by earlier. I'm the community manager on Team Dakota, the creators of Project Spark. Things have been pretty busy this morning, but wanted to let you know we've been following this thread and others.

That's a completely understandable way to look at it. And it makes sense that anyone who was eagerly hoping to hear the announcement of a new Conker game (and there's many of you, clearly) would be at least somewhat let down.

For what it's worth, I want to give you Team Dakota's perspective. Not that it will (or should) change your mind, but so you at least have a little insight on how we're looking at it.

We love games. Old games, new games, classic games. Conker is something many of us grew up with. We love the heck out of the crazy little guy and we want to hang out with him as much as you guys do, possibly more.

Project Spark is a game that is designed to empower gamers by giving them the tools to make any kind of game they want. It's about letting you make your own rules, instead of just following the rules someone else decided to impose on you regarding how you want to play and experience your games.

Project Spark is a free digital download that anyone can play on Xbox One and Windows 8, the beta version is available right now. We're hoping to support this model is by creating the equivalent of "skins" in the form of DLC packs that provide different assets and visuals to allow creators added flexibility in creating whatever their hearts desire.

This is a pretty good overall model, since it requires us to only focus on the type of DLC we know our community will find valuable. We're a small team with limited resources, so we have to be very selective in what we spend our time creating. Conker has such a passionate and diehard following he was the clear first choice for us.

We're still working out the details of exactly how and when Conker will be available in Project Spark. At the moment, the team is heads down finishing up our Sci-Fi themed, "Galaxies," our multi-chapter adventure Champions Quest, and our multiplayer over Xbox Live feature.

We'll be releasing more details on our plans for Conker in the future. Please know that we love and respect Conker and his (in)famous history. We're huge fans of everyone at Rare and we're a very community-driven team that is always looking for your ideas and feedback. Please let us know your thoughts on what you'd consider the best and most respectful way for us to honor Conker in Project Spark.

One final note on Conker’s line in our trailer. It was important to us to be as true and genuine to Conker as possible. Not only was it important to get Conker’s voice right, it was equally important to let Conker be Conker. He’s not one to pull any punches, and it wouldn’t have made sense for him to gloss over the fact he hasn’t had a game in almost a decade. We were poking fun at ourselves, certainly not the dedicated Conker fans.

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota

Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

I don't think anyone here is upset with Team Dakota. I don't believe anybody would be the least bit upset with this if Rare/Microsoft had been servicing Conker with a real game at the same time. This wasn't the way we imagined his comeback, just like Nuts & Bolts wasn't how we wanted Banjo back (the fine game it was, it just wasn't Banjo 3). If a real Conker had been announced and there were Project Spark skins people would probably be pretty happy all around.

I think a great way to honor Conker in Project Spark is to recreate a few of the levels from the original, showing off the number of skins and props you have, as well as providing levels for others to remix. Maybe get Rare or Chris to make a few new ones for fun?

Doffen

Which he then proceeded to saw in half. I was totally expecting that fairy thing to fly off crying while Conker pulled out the logo of his new game.

I know he did. I saw it.
But it still would't make sense to bomb another game's trailer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dear Spencer,

Why?

Regards.

Dear MCD,

Because.

Regards,
Phil Spencer.

But really, I don't mind it. It's good that MS/devs at least acknowledge the character and will let you use him if you want in your "games" in this.

Salty Hippo

Hey All,

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota

Very cool that you dropped by, and it must suck to have people talking more about this than the actual game. But you must had known about Rare's situation and should've anticipated this reaction. If you're a fan of Rare, you know how touchy we are. We've been waiting for another AAA quality game since the original Conker. And we've been waiting for anything, ANYTHING at all that isn't a kinect game for 6 years. I respect Team Dakota and I think it's cool that they want to use classic Rare franchises, but this was just not the way to announce it.

That said, I wish you guys all the success in the world with the game, and I hope the Conker skin pack gets downloaded enough to put some sense in Microsoft's head.

SegaShack

Hey All,

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota
Thank you for posting here and wanting to clear things up with fans. Here are some key aspects that define Conker:
-Amazing, emotive animations
-Flawless control and movement (Conker controls have a really tight feel that tie into the movements and animations)
-Wide variety of gameplay
-Rediculous characters and situations that he has to deal with (and pisses him off)
-Fully fleshed out, lively environments
-Inanimate objects with giant cartoon eyes
-Love of money, women, and alcohol
-Main hub world
-Robin Beanland Windy theme

The best way to present him in Spark would be a small game/campaign done in premade Spark Levels. The levels could have some old characters (Birdy, Don Weaso, Sunflower, King Bee, etc) as well as new characters. You could sell a Conker DLC pack which includes these campaign levels and all the objects/assets to use for level building.

If you look at the best Little Big Planet DLC you will see that the DLC has a collection of expertly made levels, this is key to the enjoyment of people who are traditional gamers and don't enjoy creating things.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that fans would much rather buy a pack of cohesive levels (campaign) tailored to Conker than have to create their own levels or find others levels online. Most of us arent interested in making our own games and would rather play a premade Conker game. It's no secret that Conker's humor comes from the situations and voice acting.

An additional way to do this respectfully is to get Chris Seavor in a positon where he can make creative decisions.

A great way to promote the pack would be having the original game ported on Xbox One or Xbox 360 for download.

I appreciate you wanting to talk to fans for input.

Rubius

Yeah, I dont mind that he's in Project Spark at all. I mind that this is the only Conker usage. If Conker had a game coming and Conker was in Spark as promotion, I would be happy. But here, it just feel like it's way too little.
Maybe the Conker scenarios will be great in Spark, but having to make the game do not feel right.

Camjo-Z

Please know that we love and respect Conker and his (in)famous history. We're huge fans of everyone at Rare and we're a very community-driven team that is always looking for your ideas and feedback. Please let us know your thoughts on what you'd consider the best and most respectful way for us to honor Conker in Project Spark.

Glad to know that you guys are listening!

Some quality developer-made levels would certainly be welcome, and of course it would be cool to have some other characters appear too. (Birdy and the Great Mighty Poo please?) Oh, and it's not Conker without the classic Windy theme!

JimiNutz

Banned
Conker appearing was good enough for me. I'm sure he'll get a full game at some point in the next few years.

Maybe people will clamor for a new Conker game now, but without Seavor I know it won't be the same.
Also it made me super sad to see him in such a peripheral role.

Salty Hippo

You might no mind it now that you know in advance that it's not a new Conker game.

I watched it again. I think he will still be disappointed. I don't like how Conker was represented there, he kinda looks like a plush doll. N64 Conker was more expressive than this. Or maybe it's the voice, is this really Seavor? He sounds weird.

It might be the salt talking, I don't know.

bbdude

Maybe this is Rare saying Conker currently isn't popular enough for his own game, so make him popular and we'll make a new game for him?

Spineker

Banned
Hey All,

Thanks!
Mike Lescault
Community Manager
Team Dakota

Thank you for your response. Any other developer would have just disappeared into the shadows.

For what it's worth, we understand it isn't your fault. You do what MS tells you to, largely. However, if you could pass on our feedback to your bosses, that would be greatly appreciated :)

FleenerW

I think a great way to honor Conker in Project Spark is to recreate a few of the levels from the original, showing off the number of skins and props you have, as well as providing levels for others to remix. Maybe get Rare or Chris to make a few new ones for fun?
I'd also like to see something like this and more involvement from Chris Seavor.

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
Thank you for posting here and wanting to clear things up with fans. Here are some key aspects that define Conker:
-Amazing, emotive animations
-Flawless control and movement (Conker controls have a really tight feel that tie into the movements and animations)
-Wide variety of gameplay
-Rediculous characters and situations that he has to deal with (and pisses him off)
-Fully fleshed out, lively environments
-Inanimate objects with giant cartoon eyes
-Love of money, women, and alcohol
-Main hub world
-Robin Beanland Windy theme

The best way to present him in Spark would be a small game/campaign done in premade Spark Levels. The levels could have some old characters (Birdy, Don Weaso, Sunflower, King Bee, etc) as well as new characters. You could sell a Conker DLC pack which includes these campaign levels and all the objects/assets to use for level building.

If you look at the best Little Big Planet DLC you will see that the DLC has a collection of expertly made levels, this is key to the enjoyment of people who are traditional gamers and don't enjoy creating things.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that fans would much rather buy a pack of cohesive levels (campaign) tailored to Conker than have to create their own levels or find others levels online. Most of us arent interested in making our own games and would rather play a premade Conker game. It's no secret that Conker's humor comes from the situations and voice acting.

An additional way to do this respectfully is to get Chris Seavor in a positon where he can make creative decisions.

A great way to promote the pack would be having the original game ported on Xbox One or Xbox 360 for download.

I appreciate you wanting to talk to fans for input.

Thanks, SegaShack this is pretty awesome feedback. I forwarded it onto Henry and the rest of the design team. :)

Would love to hear others chime in as well. It's a great reality check for us to have fans provide what is essentially an answer to the question: "What does Conker mean to you?"

-Mike

Dramos

I have to admit that this was a disappointment but I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a Conker game announced later on this year. Mark my words.

SegaShack

Thanks, SegaShack this is pretty awesome feedback. I forwarded it onto Henry and the rest of the design team. :)

Would love to hear others chime in as well. It's a great reality check for us to have fans provide what is essentially an answer to the question: "What does Conker mean to you?"

-Mike

I am really happy that you guys are looking into fan input and that you were able to share mine with the team. I may have been upset by this announcement before, but after reading your post I have faith that you guys can definitely do Conker justice.

I really appreciate teams like you and Double Helix building games or fine tuning them based off fan input, it really means a lot and in my opinion makes for a better product.

Salty Hippo

-Mike

I honestly don't want you guys trying to emulate a real Conker game. Just have him there, keep his personality intact, have some movies/series parodies if possible and add some music and environments from the first game.

There are three characters other than Conker that are freaking amazing and shouldn't be left out: the scarecrow Birdy, Gregg the Reaper and Prof. von Kripplesac. They're hilarious and should be there at their best.

You probably can't add gore, which is a huge chunk of what the game is about. It won't be the same without it. Probably no adult references either...

Gartooth

Great post.

I understand the choice to make the "no games in 10 years" joke because Conker never pulled any punches. I wish you all the best on implementing the series into Project Spark!

I think a lot of the big reactions here (at least from myself) isn't anything against Project Spark implementing him, but that everyone was geared for a new game announcement as soon as he appeared on screen.

Spineker

Banned
One good thing that came out of this travesty is that it brought out all the Conker fans on GAF and united us.

Seeing Conker again DID feel really good. I just wish it was under better circumstances.

Salty Hippo

So all the work will be done by Team Dakota or is Rare actually gonna help in any form? Sounds to me like it's just licensing, which is fine by me to be honest. Not sure I want current Rare putting their hands on anything.

Top Bottom