• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consensus among ppl in USA about Greta?? Feels like trying to have cake and eat it too

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
My guess it:

-liberals are annoyed by her but agree with her message

-conservatives like her for the wrong reasons - they love to laugh at her and make fun of her to trigger sensitive liberals.

Is that right?

accel

Sep 11, 2015
I don't know about the consensus, but if you ask me, she is a child used by opportunistic and stupid parents who don't know much about climate but feel like they just have something to say - likely partly for fame.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
People are too busy struggling everyday to even talk about her here. Most people already forgot her outside facebook addicts.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I've only seen her "how dare you" speech clip. Other then that I haven't paid much attention. The memes are funny.

Reactions: Kadayi

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
People are too busy struggling everyday to even talk about her here. Most people already forgot her outside facebook addicts.
I live in one of the most liberal counties in the United States, I have heard people talking about her at the grocery store. They referred to her as "their inspiration".

I agree with her message, but, at the same time, I'm not a fan of how she came to be, but I applaud anyone who can get attention to the message that some of us in the US are ignoring.

I was at the Boulder Adventure Film Festival a few years ago, and they tried to cram a musical performance from some kid about global heating. Most of the theater emptied out, including myself, despite feeling bad for walking out on a young kid.

While I recognize the problem, and do my best to reduce my footprint [I'm 100% wind energy, have used reusables for years, and am actually planning on aligning my stock portfolio to reduce carbon impact, and I do plan on having an electric vehicle within the next 5 years [I realize there are pollution trade offs with this, but I'm addressing more on global warming], I don't need a "celebrity" and I find it corny.

Gargus

Oct 1, 2018
She is annoying and has no message.

She is just a typical dumb kid, nothing wrong with it as almost all kids are dumb. She is told things in ways that appeal to her, and she is also an emotional freight train as most kids in puberty where emotions run wild. You get them excited about something good or bad and their emotions take over as they haven't learned to temper them, or she isnt old enough for them to be dulled yet.

She is annoying as fuck because she is a kid. And like most kids she has no message, she just repeats things verbatim she heard from others. And because it "makes sense to her" she blindly runs around spouting it and can't actually articulate anything, speak at length, or create compelling discussion. It's all phrases, catchy lines, and close ended comments. She can't discuss because she doesnt understand enough to be able to do so.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
No one likes getting lecutred to, and especially from a child. Add in the fact and this may be vain, but she isn't "cute". Nothing sexual here but its a lot easier to accept someone when they are beautiful. If she was a cute little girl people wouldn't be so put off by her.

But basically someone with no excpreience who has lived a 1st world life of luxury is lecturing the world and tell us HOW DARE WE and we stole her childhood. Even though she lived a privlaged and luxurious childhood. That isn't really going to fly with a lot of people.

LOLCats

Sep 5, 2013
Another kid with a world opinion... probably not even 100% her own.

i give no shits about her, except for the memes i suppose.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Greta as an icon of climate change is worthless. She's scripted to wag her finger at the US/UN/"Western Nations," but completely skips China, India, and Brazil to name a few. Her parents are pulling the strings of the puppet named Greta. What irritated me the most is that, Boyan Slat, a more deserving person worthy of environmentalism was swept under the carpet. The guy invented a plastic scrubber for the oceans. But it was to dull to report and you get much better engagement with a screaming child.

Oct 26, 2018
No doubt annoying with zero etiquette, but then again you can't blame her too much:

1. Half mental

2. Used by other climate activists and scientists since they can't get 2 minutes of fame on their own

3. High school drop out pulled out by her parents. Latest news was she quit school at 16 (which is grade 11). Not even sure she even passed grade 11 or quit midway

4. Parents are actors. No doubt using their own kid for fame

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
No doubt annoying with zero etiquette, but then again you can't blame her too much:

1. Half mental

2. Used by other climate activists and scientists since they can't get 2 minutes of fame on their own

3. High school drop out pulled out by her parents. Latest news was she quit school at 16 (which is grade 11). Not even sure she even passed grade 11 or quit midway

4. Parents are actors. No doubt using their own kid for fame
Don't forget that she thinks she has superpowers because she is autistic, like that nutcase Louise Mensch.

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
She is like a cartoon character that actually exists. She’s the Smoky the Bear of climate change. “Only you can prevent climate change, how DARE you!”
I told someone how dare you! When they wanted to play smash ultimate. Get that virgin ass smelling shit outta my face. How dare you!

• LOL
Reactions: zenspider

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
Using and brainwashing children to get your warped message across is nothing new. Remember the poor kids who were forced to go to Feinstein's office and bitch about signing the Green New Deal? Yeah, probably not because who wants to think about that shit, but this is just another shitty play in the liberal zealot playbook.

an organization that describes its mission as "building an army of young people to stop climate change," a group of children and a few adults are seen holding up posters and urging Feinstein to support the Green New Deal.

zenspider

May 9, 2016
She's just a kid being used by the adults around her.
So is Youtube’s Ryan, or most children that make more money than I do.

There’s too many other dimensions to the Greta brand/phenomenon that makes a “just a kid” compression really lose too much meaningful information.

EDIT: this also seems to be a common move in the thread.
People are removing her agency from the equation as a kind of dismissal that still affects a morality: she’s brainwashed, she’s a pawn, Lord, she knows not what she says.

There’s likely some truth there, but it’s a suspicious move.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Feb 14, 2018
She's a puppet, a person who barely knows the reality of the world, delivering a message written by self righteous elites who by all accounts are likely hypocrites when it comes to saving the planet.

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
OP I think the left is having a better time with triggering the right using greta than vice versa.

Greta is lose lose for the right; because bashing her makes you look bad. Kind of like those obnoxious kids from the Florida school shooting

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
OP I think the left is having a better time with triggering the right using greta than vice versa.

Greta is lose lose for the right; because bashing her makes you look bad. Kind of like those obnoxious kids from the Florida school shooting
It's why authoritarians have been using kids as shields for their 'ganda for centuries.

Reactions: CatLady

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Making memes from the two kids that pushed themselves into the public to capitalize on a school shooting makes them fair game as well.

The only triggering are by those attempting to handwave that Greta has been found out as a globalist fraud. Which is why any riposte to criticism against her falls back on emotional rhetoric of her being a child.

Ownage

Nov 5, 2018
www.zombo.com
I have no beef with her but she is overplayed and about to be yanked back into mediocrity. Getting over the 15 minutes for the rest of her life, with autistic tendencies, will not be easy.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
She's a puppet, a person who barely knows the reality of the world, delivering a message written by self righteous elites who by all accounts are likely hypocrites when it comes to saving the planet.
Basically this. She's a fucking kid and I harbor no ill will towards her personally.

Reactions: John Day

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
What I find disturbing is the promotion that kids should just walk out of school every Friday and “protest”.

She is just a tool being used by adults.

Mar 18, 2018
I live in one of the most liberal counties in the United States, I have heard people talking about her at the grocery store. They referred to her as "their inspiration".

I agree with her message, but, at the same time, I'm not a fan of how she came to be, but I applaud anyone who can get attention to the message that some of us in the US are ignoring.

I was at the Boulder Adventure Film Festival a few years ago, and they tried to cram a musical performance from some kid about global heating. Most of the theater emptied out, including myself, despite feeling bad for walking out on a young kid.

While I recognize the problem, and do my best to reduce my footprint [I'm 100% wind energy, have used reusables for years, and am actually planning on aligning my stock portfolio to reduce carbon impact, and I do plan on having an electric vehicle within the next 5 years [I realize there are pollution trade offs with this, but I'm addressing more on global warming], I don't need a "celebrity" and I find it corny.
I’m buying a 72 Ford F series 4x4 Truck that gets 10mpg and will be towing a few motorcycles across the US next year for a dozen or so music festivals coast to coast.

I got you bro.

Greta can get bent. She’s a tool for a cause that can’t even sell itself without playing into tired tropes.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
I’m buying a 72 Ford F series 4x4 Truck that gets 10mpg and will be towing a few motorcycles across the US next year for a dozen or so music festivals coast to coast.

I got you bro.

Greta can get bent. She’s a tool for a cause that can’t even sell itself without playing into tired tropes.
EDIT wrong thread.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
I almost fully cross-posted Greta in the Epstein thread and Epstein in this thread (hence my edit).

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011

I got you bro.
I'm not going to dog on you for wanting to go 4x4ing and riding motorcycles. I ski, it's terrible for the environment.

If this was an attempt to offend me, please note I work with tons of O&G people, and have spent plenty of time around Sturgis.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
My guess it:

-liberals are annoyed by her but agree with her message

-conservatives like her for the wrong reasons - they love to laugh at her and make fun of her to trigger sensitive liberals.

Is that right?
I think you missed option 3.

Most normal people barely even know or acknowledge she exists. She is a child and doesn't matter.

Being passionate about the environment isn't bad. But she's a bit ridiculous sometimes. But she's a fucking child lol. Who even cares?

And by the way, no one reads TIME magazine anymore.

Last edited:

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
I think you missed option 3.

Most normal people barely even know or acknowledge she exists. She is a child and doesn't matter.

Being passionate about the environment isn't bad. But she's a bit ridiculous sometimes. But she's a fucking child lol. Who even cares?

And by the way, no one reads TIME magazine anymore.
I didn't know she existed until 2 months ago when I went on a tinder date with a 27 year old feminist and climate change activist who works at a university. Got her diplomas living abroad in Sweden, so no surprise climate change is what she focuses on.

On tinder chat she said she wanted to know all your political views, and maybe drinks will be on her.

We chatted, and she casually mentioned to me on chat in her words: "Unpopular opinion. I don't like the way Greta Thunberg tries to force her views on everyone especially since she is really privileged"

I was like "Greta who?"

So it sounds like in her social circle (Academia) her friends and peers worship the little girl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
She's demanding the whole world immediately halts all production and use of fossil fuels right now, just let that sink in for a moment. Let her live the way she's demanding we all do for a year, then get back to me.

I still won't entertain this insanity, but I will laugh.

Reactions: Rei dos Vermes

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
You have stolen my fossil fuels and my food production with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones cause I will die in the riots rather than starvation. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is cows farting and fairy tales of feeding a population on renewables immediately. How dare you!