• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering importing Dragon Quest VII 3DS

Okay so I have the original Dragon Quest VII in Japanese for PS1 that I bought a few years ago and I am in a mood to play a lot of DQ lately. I recently bought and replayed VIII (in English but I imported it originally years ago though sold my Japanese PS2) and am still enjoying it again though I want something else. Because DQX is online only and requires a VPN, I have crossed that off my list.

How does the 3DS version compare to the PS1 version? Is it worth me getting a Japanese 3DS for and importing the game?

I really enjoyed my Japanese 3DS for many games. I am waiting until the greatest hits version since it is retailing for around $20 instead of $45 on the eShop now.
If you want just this game, RegionThree can work but you will have to import it.
I suggest waiting for the Greatest Hits release in March or pre-order it like I did.

Aeana

It's a great remake, in general. It solves some problems of the original that people complained about (i.e. not being able to find shards), it's beautiful, and it has great orchestrated music. The only con for me were the visible enemies which appear too frequently and are too hard to avoid, and the removal of hybrid skills, pretty much.

if you already got a 3ds you could just use region three and save the money for the japanese 3ds

I have a 3DS XL, does that make a difference?

It's a great remake, in general. It solves some problems of the original that people complained about (i.e. not being able to find shards), it's beautiful, and it has great orchestrated music. The only con for me were the visible enemies which appear too frequently and are too hard to avoid, and the removal of hybrid skills, pretty much.

The visible enemies never bothered me in IX. In that game what did bother me was that it saved before you got the chance to make the five star items. : [

Anyway the only things to really do in the original for me is trying to find advanced monster hearts although I am having the worst of luck. It appears they added a Dumbira heart (which I need to get to Gigamute) and I can't get either Dumbira, Varanus, or Gigamute to drop. Somehow, I was lucky and got a Gerion heart.

It's a great remake, easier to enjoy than the original thanks to some refinement in the game design. I was quite surprised almost all of the content is here, they only cut a big part of the intro. The game is as massive as it used to be, so much content it is mindblowing... The game looks ok (my only complaint being the characters looking a bit low poly but I guess it is because all 4 party members appear onscreen) and have wonderful animations (so many different types of ennemies with so many different animations especially). Great orchestrated soundtrack also. I had no problem with the ennemies appearing onscreen, just don't think you will be able to avoid many battles in dungeons. Overall one of the best rpg on the system if not the best.

Aeana

It's a great remake, easier to enjoy than the original thanks to some refinement in the game design. I was quite surprised almost all of the content is here, they only cut a big part of the intro. The game is as massive as it used to be, so much content it is mindblowing... The game looks ok (my only complaint being the characters looking a bit low poly but I guess it is because all 4 party members appear onscreen) and have wonderful animations (so many different types of ennemies with so many different animations especially). Great orchestrated soundtrack also. I had no problem with the ennemies appearing onscreen, just don't think you will be able to avoid many battles in dungeons. Overall one of the best rpg on the system if not the best.

The problem is that the game still employs the system of battles needing to be of a specific strength compared to your characters to 'count' toward class progression, and they reduced the effective level of areas across the board, which means that if you truly do fight absolutely everything that runs into you, you are in danger of being overleveled to the point that battles in the area you're supposed to be in may not count. Especially if you bother with the new optional shard dungeons.

It's not a huge problem, because there exist areas where battles count regardless of level, but it is a bit annoying.

How hard is it to master the God Hand class before the last few bosses in the game and more importantly the Hero class?

Also how difficult is it to get the different types of immigrant towns specifically the Bazaar and Slum?

The problem is that the game still employs the system of battles needing to be of a specific strength compared to your characters to 'count' toward class progression, and they reduced the effective level of areas across the board, which means that if you truly do fight absolutely everything that runs into you, you are in danger of being overleveled to the point that battles in the area you're supposed to be in may not count. Especially if you bother with the new optional shard dungeons.

It's not a huge problem, because there exist areas where battles count regardless of level, but it is a bit annoying.

But the amount of battles needed to class level up is (in most cases) cut in half. I managed to make my main character into a Hero with barely any class grinding, which I could never do in the original.

Edit: quote myself:
The intermediate classes are only down slightly in # of battles needed, but beginner/base classes are like around half the number of battles to master them. Warrior for example was 130 in the original, only 78 in the remake. Fighter is down from 160 to master to 82 in the remake.

I feel like there are serious reductions in HP on a lot of monsters as well; I had way less trouble beating bosses even pre-Dharma.

Reveirg

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Can Holey = Holy? (old english or something?)

If not, I don't see how it can relate to DQ, considering the word's definition.

This has also been bugging me ... But for me it's enough to fire up some speculation :) do we have a hole of some sorts in VII?

EDIT: Or maybe because the world is holey, without any other islands beside Fishbel?

EDIT 2: I've done some digging and it seems Holy Heroes is already trademarked by another company (http://www.holyheroes.com). Hmmmm

This not coming over, aside from PS4 shitting the bed with backwards compatibility, is the biggest gaming let down for me in the past couple of years.

If you can read Japanese though, as already mentioned, the Region 3 download sounds pretty nice.

Mr YuYu

This not coming over, aside from PS4 shitting the bed with backwards compatibility, is the biggest gaming let down for me in the past couple of years.

If you can read Japanese though, as already mentioned, the Region 3 download sounds pretty nice.

Same for me. Been wanting to play this game for a loooooong time now. Sadly, it doesnt look like i'll be able to play it any time soon...

The remake is more beautiful than I was expecting, and the animations are all fantastic. I love that Maribel runs like a ninja. The 3D is nice on the world map, and has me drooling for a DQ8 remake.

It's too bad the c-nub/cpp offers no camera control though.

The remake is more beautiful than I was expecting, and the animations are all fantastic. I love that Maribel runs like a ninja. The 3D is nice on the world map, and has me drooling for a DQ8 remake.

It's too bad the c-nub/cpp offers no camera control though.

L and R for camera works well in this game.

Steering back (and I feel I can mention this without having to mark spoilers), I know the immigrant system changed by a lot. It might be more or less efficient but I want to be able to outfit my characters with Metal King Swords and Metal King Shields easily. I loved the Bazaar. So now is it more or less the same? Do you go in and out of buildings recruiting random people or how does it work? Is there a Japanese site (I'm sure there is) that shows how easily it can be done?

The cathedral is useless although I did make the farm on a separate file just to grab the Orichalcum Fang.

I'm a junior, so I cannot make threads yet, that's why I'm posting this find here (sorry for highjacking!):
Square Enix has just trademarked a title in Europe under the name Holey Heroes ... It might be a stretch, but could this be the Eden no Senshitachi (DQVII)?

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013701701

Very interesting. I've learned not to have expectations when it comes to square but I'm still intrigued. It would also fit with the aliteration that they've been doing for the series so far.

This has also been bugging me ... But for me it's enough to fire up some speculation :) do we have a hole of some sorts in VII?

EDIT: Or maybe because the world is holey, without any other islands beside Fishbel?

EDIT 2: I've done some digging and it seems Holy Heroes is already trademarked by another company (http://www.holyheroes.com). Hmmmm

Well its an EU trademark, is that an American site? Or does that not matter?

Top Bottom