• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console hardware you never had, but always wanted it (console, handheld, peripheral)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It can go for anything: console, handheld, peripheral. Hell, maybe there was a Mad Catz gamepad you always wanted but could never find. Whatever.

Maybe it cost too much. Maybe you already had a console and wasn't worth double dipping. Maybe in your country it wasn't even sold.

Here's some things I never had but wanted.

Vectrex. One kid I knew at school had it. And it was awesome. That built in game Minestorm was slick. Holy shit, it's like Asteroids at home. I don't even remember playing any other games. It might had been the only game he had. In modern day, zero interest buying one. No way I'm risking paying money to some dude on eBay for a 40 year old system which probably doesn't even work anymore.
Vectrex-Console-Set.jpg

Neo Geo. The beast from around 1990. Every gamer in the early 90s enjoying Genesis and SNES thought about having this. Solid games just about all of us tried at the arcade. Even though everyone knew the games are really arcadey with low replayability (their onslaught of good fighting games didn't come till later and that assumed you loved fighters and could stick with sprite based games as PS1/Saturn were around the corner). But in 1990-92, the possibility of playing the same Magician Lord, NAM 75, and Super Spy at home was a dream even though the system was like $800 cdn and games were around $300. lol.

But looking back, if you could play arcade games at home for $800 and it includes a joystick it actually sounds like a deal. Too bad the games cost a ton and the games never had the depth or variety of Gen/SNES consoles as they were aimed at the quarter munching crowd.

The temptation was there to buy that Neo Geo X, but after reading reviews it seemed it wasn't the greatest as it was all emulator and not perfect.

Still the best console shell ever to me. Gun metal and included an awesome joystick.

132360001.jpg

Last edited:

skit_data

Sega Dreamcast. I remember only having a PS1 at the time and seeing Ecco the Dolphin screenshots in some random gaming magazine made me go ”Whaat?! It looks just like real life!”

The memory faded quickly when i got a Gamecube later, but in recent years I’m really sad it was the last Sega console. Games like Seaman, that controller, everything about it seemed really out of the box and unique.

Edit: Add Atari Jaguar to the list. It might not have been what was promised but I remember seeing Aliens vs. Predator on it in a magazine before the 1999 PC version and thinking it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

Aion002

This piece of crap:

Video Games Nintendo GIF

One of my cousins had one when I was a kid, I played a couple of times on his house and it seemed so futuristic and unique, I kinda really wanted, but weirdly enough I never asked my parents to buy one... Maybe subconsciously I knew that it was trash.

tkscz

This piece of crap:

Video Games Nintendo GIF

One of my cousins had one when I was a kid, I played a couple of times on his house and it seemed so futuristic and unique, I kinda really wanted, but weirdly enough I never asked my parents to buy one... Maybe subconsciously I knew that it was trash.

Actually got to play one of those for several hours. After using the quest, the tech was NEVER there for that to be VR.

816026sega-saturn1.jpg

I never got to play the Saturn, always wondered how it would be.

This piece of crap:

Video Games Nintendo GIF

They had a demo of it set up at Blockbuster back in day when they added VB rental games to the store. I got to try it three or four times. I played mario tennis and warioland. The last time I went back it was broken and Ive never seen one ever again.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Panasonic Gamecube
Atari Jaguar
3DO(my uncle had one)
I also wish my parents hadn't gotten rid of my Virtual Boy. Had Mario Tennis, Wario's Woods, and Wario Clash and they were pretty fun games I'd love to revisit.

Last edited:

Banned
Rde65986bf5a0f2c235fb8c65cb60ac99

the Panasonic Q was love at first sight... but always unreachable.

same with the PSX, although that thing is a piece of trash in terms of actual usability since it (no joke) literally overheats after about an hour or PS2 gameplay lol, and the read laser goes bad afer some time of use.

but it looks so sleek and cool
R7174f22d83bb18787d0e0b6a6c982c42

absolut piece of tech junk worthy of the old meme "it's a Sony", but a sexy one!

Last edited:
As a teen I was a collector of video game systems/games, and I had everything you could imagine. I always bought everything used and then I had a weekly classified ad of all the duplicate games that I had for sale. Stole my prices right out of the Funco insert that I got in the mail. Only problem was that my town was not super rich, so finding the more esoteric or expensive systems on sale used was damn near impossible. I never did get my hands on a Neo Geo or 3D0. Out of those two my bigger regret is actually for the 3D0, as I wasn't a huge fighting game fan

nush

Gold Member
system1.jpg

CPS Changer, actual Capcom CPS2 games at home. Never saw one and pointless in this day and age with emulation. But that was a dream machine in the 90's.

K1Expwy

Based on looks alone, Genesis CDX and PSX

And one of those expensive PC handhelds that can emulate 7th gen

splattered

Several.. neo geo, 32x, virtual buy, atari jaguar... Others. I probably wouldn't have been happy with any of them either if I actually somehow got them.

The original xbox because of xbox live. Would've loved to play Halo 2 and Star wars battlefront 2 on xbox live back in the day.

Last edited:

Aesius

Actually got to play one of those for several hours. After using the quest, the tech was NEVER there for that to be VR.

816026sega-saturn1.jpg

I never got to play the Saturn, always wondered how it would be.
Saturn for me as well. Christmas of 1995, I desperately wanted one and my brother wanted a PlayStation. He won out and we got it instead. In hindsight, obviously the right choice. But the Saturn remains a mystery console to me, especially since I had virtually every other major console back in the day.

Reactions: TLZ

MrA

Banned
Entex adventure vision, weird portable arcade thing,
and the capcom system changer
might actually buy a bbc bridge companion, a cartridge based bridge playing console.
other than that I've have everything I've ever wanted (most of my collection was built up in the early 2000s to 2010s when things weren't nuts,
this includes some really oddballs, tomy tutor, gakken tv boy, entex select a game, epoch game pocket computer, philips in2it (unreleased terrible handheld), koei pasago (a portable go player and that's it, with multiple carts all of which are go), master vision colour cartridge,

quest

Not Banned from OT
Neogeo is about it because of game cost. I got everything else I wanted from the lynx, 3do launch day, turbo graphics 16, nomad, sega cd, 32x I had pretty much everything but the jaguar, cdi, and neogeo for major systems outside the pc world. Everything had a few great games worth my time and effort in tracking down. A

BsdYbdl.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sega Saturn, it was overpriced at 700 OMR ($1,812 USD).

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F459293212%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Nintendo 64, was expensive as well. When played my first 3D game it really felt so painful to return the console back the next day, literally didn't sleep til next day to squeeze every second. Don't know what was that game but it was FPS and foggy game.

713O5npuQYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

PSP

Sony-PSP-1000-Body.jpg

And lastly PS Vita

DSC01249_verge_super_wide.1419963862.0.jpg

Won't get a portable above PS1/2/3 while still a student. :lollipop_anguish:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Trimesh

Banned
same with the PSX, although that thing is a piece of trash in terms of actual usability since it (no joke) literally overheats after about an hour or PS2 gameplay lol, and the read laser goes bad afer some time of use.

I had a PSX, and I can confirm that you were very wise to stay far away from it. First of all, they eat HDDs, and since the operating firmware is also stored on the drive they become a paperweight when that happens. The optical drive is also a nightmare of complexity because it has two separate pickups - one of which is a DVD-R pickup used by the DVR side and the other being a standard PS2 pickup used by the PS2 subsystem. I had the HDD in mine fail twice - and because it was a Japan only product it was impossible to get it serviced in Hong Kong, so I had to take it back to Tokyo both times. After that, the DVD pickup failed - which also completely disables the system because when you put a disc in it checks the disc type using the DVD pickup and only hands it off to the PS2 part of the system if it's identified as being a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, which obviously doesn't happen if the machine can't identify it at all.

Vectrex. One kid I knew at school had it. And it was awesome. That built in game Minestorm was slick. Holy shit, it's like Asteroids at home. I don't even remember playing any other games. It might had been the only game he had. In modern day, zero interest buying one. No way I'm risking paying money to some dude on eBay for a 40 year old system which probably doesn't even work anymore.
Vectrex-Console-Set.jpg
I have one of those lol been sitting in my attic for over a decade. Might try it out again.

bbeach123

I had a ps1 , always want a ps2 but my older brother buy a gamecube...And original Xbox ...But still no fcking Ps2 .

Last edited:
  • LOL

MayauMiao

PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 as I was a PC fanboy during that time and used to think those consoles were beneath me.

I was foolish.

Now I plan to get used PS2, although not sure if fat or slim is the way to go.

I recently got myself OG Xbox, mod it, got it to work with sata HDD with success.

I want a GPD Win or something similar. Something that can run PS2 emulators so I can finally have portable SRW OGs in English. But they cost $1000. I can't even be arsed to spend $50 on a phone, I sure as hell won't spend a thousand for a handheld PC.

AGRacing

Sega Saturn.

I intended on buying it with paper route money and was blindsided by the early launch. By the time I got the cash the PlayStation launch weekend was upon me. We went to Novi, Michigan for the weekend and I intended to buy it there... but saw Ridge Racer, Destruction Derby and Toshinden demos....

My father stopped me and bought me the "Playstation launch guide" magazine which I still have. He said if I still wanted Saturn in a week I could go for it. For me Ridge Racer looked so incredible I couldn't resist. The rest is history.

I don't regret getting the Playstation... but always wondered what playing a lot of those Saturn games would have been like.

I did buy a Dreamcast on launch day!

Perrott

Gold Member
SEGA: Dreamcast
Sony: PlayStation Move (PS3), PlayStation Vita, PlayStation VR, PlayStation Classic Mini
Microsoft: Xbox One w/ Kinect
Nintendo: Wii U, NES Mini, Super NES Mini

Last edited:
The Turbo Duo is probably the top one.

Also, a 486 dx2 66 with 8MB of RAM with a 600MB HDD would have been awesome back in the days! I mean, how could anyone need so many megahertz?

Right now I would love a Radeon 6900xt on a 16 core ryzen (5950x I believe) with all the top comments and enough RGB to blind anyone within a mile!

Havoc2049

I always thought it would have been cool to get into the short lived but cool looking Turbo Duo scene. They even had their own cool looking magazine.

SoraNoKuni

Actually.. a GameCube.

I was just a kid and could have only a PS2(Had a PC as well).

I remember playing Mario sunshine somewhere and falling in love with the game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nintendo 64, was expensive as well. When played my first 3D game it really felt so painful to return the console back the next day, literally didn't sleep til next day to squeeze every second. Don't know what was that game but it was FPS and foggy game.

713O5npuQYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
More than likely Turok.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Being a blatant Nintendo fanboy during the great console war, I never really longed for a Mega Drive or anything else to the point I ever imagined myself pulling my parents’ sleeve and asking for one. Even so, whenever I could put my hands on.a SEGA system, I liked what I played. I really liked games, no matter the platform.

But I gotta say, PC Engine looked hella interesting in the early 90s. NeoGeo too, but that was mostly curiosity: a single game costed more than two Super NES consoles, and all the games I ever saw reviewed on magazines were fighters and sports games, which didn’t really interest me. I hadn’t realized that those were literal arcade games in cart format.

Net Yaroze... well, that one did tempt me to ask for one. Luckily, I didn’t even know how to actually get one.

Top Bottom