• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War... Console War Has Changed...

Zones

It’s no longer about console sales, net incomes, or teraflops, it’s an endless series of petty arguments from overgrown teenagers speculating over which company should be bought by their favorite megacorp.

Console war—and the obsession of acquisitions—have infested all discussions across the entire gaming landscape.

Console war... has changed.

Square Enix acquisition, Capcom acquisition, Sega acquisition... not a single major publisher is safe from the unending daydreams and wishful thinking of the console warriors.

The age of fighting over metascore has become the age of fighting over number of studios acquired, all in the hope that whichever platform holder controls the most studios will end up controlling the future of the gaming industry.

When the fanboys are left unhinged, console war becomes routine.

I recently realized I have been here for 10 years and I have yet to make a single topic! So to end that absolutely disgraceful virginity, I saw all those remasters and remakes infesting the industry and thought why shouldn't I likewise bring back the classic MGS4 'war has changed' dialogue and reinterpret it to the current nauseating console war landscape?

giphy.webp

Here's the full original MGS4 dialogue:

“War has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines.

War--and its consumption of life--has become a well-oiled machine.

War... has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Genetic control, information control, emotion control, battlefield control…everything is monitored and kept under control.

War…has changed.

The age of deterrence has become the age of control, all in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction, and he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

War…has changed.

When the battlefield is under total control, war becomes routine.”

― Solid Snake

Nautilus

Banned
Well, with Nintendo being the only one left of the Big Three that is exclusevely dedicated to making games for consoles, we know who won the war.

SeraphJan

You know what would be a good idea?

Open a recycle bin dedicated console war section, where all the warring post goes there. Why waste energy manually banning them, when you can redirect the traffic by having them volunteer.

Grab some popcorn, watching these genius amazed us with their intellect fighting over their favorite toy in that hypothetical section could be a lot of fun too

The best feature of this section is: It could automatically filter out these sneaky "hidden warriors" (who are equally annoying) that cleverly dodging the ban threshold for years

It offends no one, attract more traffic for the forum, while at the same time providing entertainment value for the rest of the community for free

Last edited:

*Nightwing

10 years never making a thread and the topic you decide to chose is console wars?

*/ sigh

Yeah console wars have changed… consoles are now all the same thing with the same specs as PC… console wars today are equivalent of crypto trading, speculation for pure tibalistic speculation’s sake. It’s a war of masturbation… a circle jerk if you will

ZoukGalaxy

Nah id doesn't.
Still the same despite of all this, form has evolved, finality is the same: look at my big balls.

You can go back to Fallout now.

War. War never changes.
Rotum GIF

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It’s no longer about console sales, net incomes, or teraflops, it’s an endless series of petty arguments from overgrown teenagers speculating over which company should be bought by their favorite megacorp.

Console war—and the obsession of acquisitions—have infested all discussions across the entire gaming landscape.

Square Enix acquisition, Capcom acquisition, Sega acquisition... not a single major publisher is safe from the unending daydreams and wishful thinking of the console warriors.

The age of fighting over metascore has become the age of fighting over number of studios acquired, all in the hope that whichever platform holder controls the most studios will end up controlling the future of the gaming industry.

I recently realized I have been here for 10 years and I have yet to make a single topic! So to end that absolutely disgraceful virginity, I saw all those remasters and remakes infesting the industry and thought why shouldn't I likewise bring back the classic MGS4 'war has changed' dialogue and reinterpret it to the current nauseating console war landscape?

giphy.webp

“War has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines.

War... has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Genetic control, information control, emotion control, battlefield control…everything is monitored and kept under control.

War…has changed.

The age of deterrence has become the age of control, all in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction, and he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

War…has changed.

― Solid Snake

Console “wars” were ALWAYS beyond believe. I was born a gamer. I never once considered overall sales, power, acquisitions, nothing.

All I knew is I am a GAMER. I always get them all in case there is an exclusive or release not on another platform I want to play.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: TLZ

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It’s no longer about console sales, net incomes…

Yes it is just look at the threads. Don’t forgot the constant DF drivel that people use as ammunition.

Truth is people will use anything at all to justify their purchases or allegiances. For basically anything not just video games.

Corporate mergers are just another front in the fictional war. It replaces nothing.

Console wars are at the weakest they ever been and thats a good thing. Since each company is doing their own thing you can't compare success or failures directly. Along with cross play, and cross platform publishing its coming down to the companies themselves. Its why you see Xbox fanboys bragging about MS wallet and sony fanboys defending price increases. Hardly about the box anymore because the actual industry is in a much different place than the wars of 10 years ago.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This just reminds me how much I want a fallout 3 and nv remake… where is that? It’s been rumoured for years! Also I want a 60 fps patch and n fallout 4! Give me stuff to buy dammit!

The people foaming at the mouth for acquisitions are the same people who didn't have anything to play for 7 years. Can't blame them.
No, they just didn't have exclusives. The games these acquisitions were already on their box. They're just celebrating that maybe the other guys won't get to play them.

Nautilus

Banned
Only if mobile doesn’t count which they did make games for.
Who counts mobile as "real games"? Genuinaly speaking, does a significant portion of ganers take mobile gaming even remotely seriously?

And even then, Nintendo kind of abandoned it, given that there are currently zero games announced for it, and the only ones getting some kind of support is FE Heroes and Mario Kart Tour.

So yeah, Nintendo is the last one standing in the console wars. Not that that's a bad thing mind you. Things change, and I would be more worried if it didn't. Sony and MS just cut their losses on that front and are moving to other pastures(That are not necessarily greenier than console, but anyway), which is PC AND streaming. Hate streaming, but can't deny that part of gaming's future is there.

And another war will begin. I have already talked about this previously in my thread that the mods locked, but instead of we having a console war, we will have a platform war.Which companies won't compete to sell the most hardware, but rather have the most users on their store. It already began.Steam and Epic are already waging war, and MS and Sony are entering it. Hell, I even think that Nintendo will enter it(It is already competing indirectly by being one of the Big Three, and having to sell a hardware so that it gains users). It's... inevitable.

One way or another, its going to be interesting.

MScarpa

I'm glad GAF has cracked down on the warriors. With that said, it is ridiculous seeing the same people argue over and over again. Never understood what the point was. 🤷‍♂️

I'm glad GAF has cracked down on the warriors. With that said, it is ridiculous seeing the same people argue over and over again. Never understood what the point was. 🤷‍♂️

Just some warriors that haven't hit the ban threshold yet is my guess. Thankfully a couple of them (Cat and Riky) were removed, even if temporarily. They can be good posters if they stopped warring. Wish they would.

Nautilus

Banned
The same reason why we are here discussing about the games we like, or how well a game sold.

Its fun.

Some people take too far, obviously(And that's not exclusive to the console wars. Just look at any topic regarding Epic Games). But its all in good fun.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So its not a dedicated gaming device then. Its a general purpose device, since it can be everything.

Following this logic my PlayStation 5 is a general purpose device because I watch more movies on it than I play games. I even browsed the web today to quickly check something as my phone was in another room.

You can set up your PC to be a dedicated gaming device. Boot up straight to Steam Big Picture and all. 💯

Nautilus

Banned
Following this logic my PlayStation 5 is a general purpose device because I watch more movies on it than I play games. I even browsed the web today to quickly check something as my phone was in another room.

You can set up your PC to be a dedicated gaming device. Boot up straight to Steam Big Picture and all. 💯
Then if I can use my shoe as a dish, that means that all footware aren't dedicated to make you walk?

You guys are weird. You treat anyone that likes to talk about the console wars, or anything that may make a discussion more fiesty, as "those kids". But anytime you "adults" don't like something you hear, its like *that* you behave? And its ok?

You guys are just as toxic as the so called "fanboys" you hate. If you wish to have a serious discussion, I'm up to it. But if that's what you classify as grown up talk, then I'm not wasting my time.

Barakov

Gold Member

giphy.webp

“War has changed.

War... has changed.

War…has changed.

War…has changed.

― Solid Snake

aTqUNSl.png

I just think all these Zoomers, that are slaves to consumerism, just make everything worse.

Top Bottom