• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console Yellowing... The Causes, and Solutions?

So I'm sure most of you whole own a system over a decade old have experienced this problem...

SNES.jpg

So first of all, what are the causes for this? I imagine constant smoking would have this type of effect on certain electronics, but that is not the case with my system. I'm guessing Nintendo used two different types of plastic for the system, which would explain why certain parts yellow while others stay consistant.

Now for the solutions. I was thinking about getting one of those Mr. Clean scrub pads and scrubbing the shit out of the system, has anyone ever tried this, or do you know any other solutions to this problem?

Threi

notag
stop pissing on your consoles.

Seriously though my SNES looks fine, not a speck of yellow...so im not sure what causes it =\

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's just the type of plastic they use; they add stuff that keeps it grey for a while, but it will slowly turn to yellow

Yeah, i have the exact same problem as you have. But i learned to live with it.

1. Either spray paint it
2. Find some chemical solutions to clean it
3. Or live with it

Threi

notag
ElectricBlue187 said:
do you smoke cigarettes around your wii?

Is that what causes it? That would probably explain it then - i don't smoke and my SNES looks pretty much brand new.

DJ Sl4m

Rubbing Alcohol, it's also best for whitening sneakers made of leather as well.

Try it and see, it's the best cleaner around for such things, plus it's a cheap solution to whitening.

dfyb

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:
Yea because once plastic turns a different shade everyone knows there is no way to clean it back to it's originol color.

Hippolol.gif

Seriously, use rubbing alcohol.

i guess you'll be rubbing for a while...

sprocket

Banned
Its the type pf palstic they used for the SNES .. it oxidizes really badly.. if you notice the cartridge flap was maybe of a different plastic to hold up against wear .

Shawn128

I've been doing research in college (not on this topic specifically) that's helped me to understand why this happens. As it turns out, plastics absorb uv light, i.e. ultraviolet light from the sun. The problem stems from the fact that light less than 300nm causes plastics to discolor (think uv damage). The unfortunate thing is that this is a permanent change to the plastic itself. So unless you repaint the case yourself, I'm afraid it will stay that color.

genjiZERO

If had the same problem and nothing I've ever used has 'cleaned' it. It's just that the plastic has changed colour not because it's dirty.

acidviper

Banned
genjiZERO said:
If had the same problem and nothing I've ever used has 'cleaned' it. It's just that the plastic has changed colour not because it's dirty.
what is it though? mold? UV damage?

dfyb

Banned
you guys need to click links. it's mainly caused by exposure to light and the heat caused by normal use, reacting to fire-retardant metarials used in the plastic to meet safety regulations.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Usually it's light, fluorescent or otherwise, that causes the plastic (and or the chemicals in it) to turn yellow over time. If you've ever worked in an office building you would see this happen.

pCeSlAyEr

use some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner... no joke.. and a old Tshirt and toothbrush..

I collect quite a few consoles and it seems to be one of the only things to remove that lovely yellow tint.

also use lighter fluid(like zippo fluid) to remove stickers and marker from cartridges...

dfyb

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:
Go try it and you'll see just how ignorant your post was.
mine aren't noticeably discolored

i don't see how rubbing alcohol would penetrate that far -- you may make the outer layer shine again but the damage is done.

The yellowing is called plastic rot, and it happens to a lot of things over time. It's the reason a lot of action figure collectors keep their toys stored in special cases in temperature-adjusted rooms.

ant1532

Banned
I had this question and researched a lot on the internet. Solution I used to help it is magic soap. Nothing can really stop it all that every method does is deteriorate the outside and show the color behind the surface.

Top Bottom