• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles are just like PCs now, why bother with consoles then?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
First, I don't want this thread to be consoles/PC war thread, even if the title of the thread implies it. The title just outlines my thoughtsfears, that's all. This thread is more about the future of gaming industry.

I hope to provoke an intelligent discussion lol

We had a new thread today about PS3 online cheaters - MW2 PS3 after Jailbreak, what can players do?

Also Cevat Yerli has made another prediction about next-gen consoles:

"For some reason my gut feeling is still that we'll see a new [console] generation in 2012, 2013," Yerli said. "Factually spoken, it looks like I'm going be wrong, but my gut feeling is that there's going to be a new one because it's really getting old and tight in this space."

I sort of agree with him, I think we'll see new consoles by 2013-2014, but............ there are some thought that bother me.

a. The consoles from previous generations had some advantages over PCs as a gaming platforms:

1)Games just worked - no patches, no constant freezes, no bugs. Well, almost no bugs.
2)There were no long installs.
3)There were no online cheaters.

Console gaming was simple and smooth experience. Quite limited in some regards (no user content, no tweaks) but simple and smooth. This gen the situation has changed drastically.

b. Now we have a closed boxes which have all shortcomings of PC platform:

1)Big post-release patches.
2)Bugs in most games.
3)Long installations for smoother experience (sometimes mandatory installs).
4)Online cheaters are present now on both platforms.

c. But in the meantime don't have any redeeming features that PC as a gaming platform has:

1)Tweakability - you can tailor a game for yourself - graphics settings, input devices , etc.
2)User-generated content, mod support
3)an opportunity to improve graphics and perfomance by upgrading your hardware

d. Also while consoles now have most issues that only PCs have had there are no means to combat them for an average user:

1)On PC if the game doesn't work as intented you can Google for a solution and solve the issue by tweaking. But on consoles you should wait for devs to solve a problem.
2)Since cheaters were always present on PC there are a lot of countermeasures to them - dedicated servers, worldwide ban lists, anticheating soft, an aware community, etc. There are no such measures on consoles now, except a slow and infrequent bannhammer. At least fuckers can be kicked from a game on PC.

So my question is: why should I buy the next-gen consoles if they're basically closed PCs now without any redeeming qualities + some issues that platform holders aren't able to solve ?

Seriously, that bothers me because AAA-game development is quite dependent on consoles nowadays, and the first few years of the next-gen might suck for PCs anyway in this regard as it has happened this gen. Yes, there is a possibilty that new consoles will be seriously underpowered but there are also a possibility that they won't. Also there is a possibility that new graphic engines will be tailored for console architectures and not PCs, Tim Sweeney was talking about that at the beggining of this gen. The problem is that I don't want to buy them at all, online cheaters were the last straw. At least I can deal with this shit on PC myself, while on consoles I'm at mercy of a slow platform holder or a publisher.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I like standardized hardware. You are assured the same level of performance as everyone else. To me, that is the greatest strength of a console platform.

I am perfectly happy playing games on a $300-$400 console and a 50" screen. I don't want to build a PC, I don't want to download new drivers, firmware, etc.

Right now I can play most games I want to play on 360 or PS3, and they look and play fantastically.

The benefits of PC gaming do not temp me one bit.

There were online cheaters last gen as well. Try SOCOM.

Besides, the only game(s) with rampant hacking is Call of Duty. Other games are currently unaffected.

Big One

Banned
As long as there are games exclusively console-based, then consoles worth to be bothered with most gamers. It's a shame so many console gamers shun PC Gaming, however.

TheExodu5

Banned
CoachKevin said:
I am perfectly happy playing games on a $300-$400 console and a 50" screen. I don't want to build a PC, I don't want to download new drivers, firmware, etc.

Right now I can play most games I want to play on 360 or PS3, and they look and play fantastically.

The benefits of PC gaming do not temp me one bit.
If you don't want to download new firmware, you should just give up console gaming as well.

uncharted%2Bplatform.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Even now when I play pc games, I spend inordinate amounts of time tweaking settings to get the perfect balance of framerate and graphics.

Fuck that.

I want the intended performance from the second I start the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
BlazingDarkness said:
More games
More variety of games
Any proof for these two?
thetrin said:
Even now when I play pc games, I spend inordinate amounts of time tweaking settings to get the perfect balance of framerate and graphics.

Fuck that.

That's what I love about console gaming, it's set to sub-HD and low res textures already.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
thetrin said:

Fuck that.

I often don't get that on consoles, and to rub salt in the wound I can't tweak it to make it right, either.

CozMick

Banned
PC - 1 guy spends $5000 on a PC Vs 1 guy spends $500 on a PC

$5000 guy gets 60fps Vs $500 gets 15fps

$5000 guy uses laser mouse Vs $500 uses roller ball mouse

$5000 guys sees the entire level in the distance Vs $500 sees fog 10ft in front of him

Console - 1 guy has HDtv Vs 1 guy has SDtv

Well, you get my point.

thetrin

xelios said:
I often don't get that on consoles, and to rub salt in the wound I can't tweak it to make it right, either.

I didn't say optimal, I said intended.

I used to be huge into PC gaming, and even then, I spent WAY too much time tweaking settings. I just don't like doing it, but I'm so OCD, I'm always trying to change things to improve performance.

I just don't want to do that. I just want standardized hardware, so that when I put the game in, it looks exactly like what the devs saw before it shipped.

epmode

CozMick said:

$5000 guys sees the entire level in the distance Vs $500 sees fog 10ft in front of him

Well, you get my point.
Holy shit. This thread. THIS THREAD.

Gravijah

CozMick said:

Well, you get my point.

Dude, you can get a nice PC for 500 bucks. Even I know that!

Too bad I don't have the skrilla to put one together. ;(

thetrin

Vinci said:
Because it's not just about the hardware. In fact, it never has been.

This is something PC gamers will never understand.

Dennis

Banned
This gen consoles have become more like PCs than ever before and the trend will probably continue.

That being said I am sure that there is a large audience with simply no interest in playing games on their home PC.

There is a tech barrier however silly that may seem to tech-savy GAF. The consoles are perceived as simple to use machines that are convenient and perfect for the living room.

TheExodu5

Banned
thetrin said:

Fuck that.

It's a shame that intended performance falls well below budget PC standards, regardless of the settings.

How is tweakability a minus in any way? A ton of gaffers constanty complain and bicker about console game framerates (digital foundry vs, etc). If you can do that, you can take 5 minutes to set appropriate settings for your system.

careful

Supervlieg said:
I like to sit on the couch
Comfy couch is an old meme, but I think it still applies for me.
I don't have space on my entertainment center to house a PC tower, so I have one of those atom based small form factor htpc instead.
It's a simple answer, but it's true for me. I play on console when I'd rather sit on my couch.

CozMick said:

Well, you get my point.

You could launch a satellite into space for $5000

subversus

thetrin said:
I didn't say optimal, I said intended.

"intended" could be far from "acceptable" unfortuntately. For example Mass Effect is my favourite game of this gen but I don't know how people were able to enjoy it in 2007.

CaptainAhab said:
I think his point was that it isn't as convenient as it used to be, while pc gaming is more convenient than it used to be.

exactly

LosDaddie

Banned
:lol :lol Of course this is going to be a console vs PC thread.
and I expect it to eventually turn inot a PC/PS3 vs X360 debate

Anyway, all the games I want to play are on consoles. There's nothing on PCs that interest me (that I can't play on consoles). The only thing PC gaming offers me is better performance (framerate, resolution, etc), but console games are good enough for me.

EDIT: Oh and I own a laptop

I see we have all the usual bullshit trotted out to disparage PC gaming already. Comfy couch, drivers/firmware, $5999 US dollars. Are we missing anything?

Quick answer: You can still play games right out of the box. And you know they'll be consistent from one system to the next, unlike pc's.

edit: beaten

other edit: Only thing I see consoles doing to extend their lives is to create the possibility for upgrades without having to open the console. Some sort of additional hardware, that would be sweet.

Gravijah said:
Unique software.

First post nailed it.

My favorite games this generation are, off the top of my head: Dead Rising, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Lost Odyssey, too many XBLA games to name, and now Demons Souls and GT5 on my new PS3. Guess how many of these games have PC versions?

And it's not just this generation. Historically PC gaming has never appealed to me. The platform has just simply never had the games I like to play, ever.

Vinci

Danish
thetrin said:
This is something PC gamers will never understand.

I happen to be a PC gamer. Or, at least, I am that as well. Most of my gaming is actually done on the PC, but I like consoles and handhelds too.

CozMick said:
But you get my point right?

Online gaming on PC will never EVER be on a level playing field.

It won't be on consoles either, if people aren't able to moderate servers themselves.

Because Starcraft 2 wouldn't install for me when I bought it. I then had to copy the contents of the disc to my pc and install it from there.

Then after install it said it wasn't compatible with my ATI HD5850...but it ran anyway. Then after a few updates a couple weeks later the game crashed on startup and it ran the autofixer that did nothing. I have to uninstall the game and go through the whole process again.

Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo certification rarely lets stuff like this through. Sure stuff gets patched on consoles but 99.9% of games run out of the box just fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
I see we have all the usual bullshit trotted out to disparage PC gaming already. Comfy couch, drivers/firmware, $5999 US dollars. Are we missing anything?
Angular graphics.

thetrin

TheExodu5 said:
It's a shame that intended performance falls well below budget PC standards, regardless of the settings.

How is tweakability a minus in any way? A ton of gaffers constanty complain and bicker about console game framerates (digital foundry vs, etc). If you can do that, you can take 5 minutes to set appropriate settings for your system.

I'm not saying others shouldn't have it. People can have anything they want. I don't like tweaking settings. At all. I feel it's a waste of my time. I just want to play a video game.

Vinci said:

I happen to be a PC gamer. Or, at least, I am that as well. Most of my gaming is actually done on the PC, but I like consoles and handhelds too.

It won't be on consoles either, if people aren't able to moderate servers themselves.

And that's fine, but MANY PC gamers concentrate more on hardware than they do on software. Shit, I'm a PC gamer too. I just never understood the obsession with graphics and hardware.

subversus

CozMick said:
But you get my point right?

Online gaming on PC will never EVER be on a level playing field.

yes, you can say the same about console gaming now.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Quick answer: You can still play games right out of the box. And you know they'll be consistent from one system to the next, unlike pc's.

Fallout New Vegas.

Waaghals

I agree that consoles seem to take some of the PC's bad sides and virtually none of it's good sides, although consoles still have the edge in user friendliness. I do not however agree with everything you say, for instance:

Old games were buggy as well, and there was no simple way of fixing those problems. Sure games my launch with some day one patches, but that is hardly a massive problem.

The reason there were no on line cheaters earlier was because until last generation consoles had no on line mode.

I am primarily a PC gamer, my only reason for having a ps3/360 is the exclusive games.

CozMick said:

Well, you get my point.

ah ha ha ha ha ha

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
1. Exclusive games. There's still a good number of games that i simply can't get on PC.

J-Rzez

There were tons of cheaters and bugs/glitches with online last gen. And while patching is annoying, as long as it's to fix cheats/bugs that slipped through the dev cycle, I'm cool with that, or especially if they're content patches. Now, other side of the coin, some games feel like they're pushed out the door and they'll get around to fixing it later mentality is there.

The thing that bothers me the MOST with online this gen though is how not all gaming qualities has moved on for the better. Many games experience tons of lag, unequal quality amongst versions, and don't even have the same amount of features as some last gen titles. The CoD franchise is easily the biggest offender of all three for example, even though it's the best selling. When stacked up to other games where more effort was placed into them, it really shows how little effort is/was really put into them. We have better speeds online in general now, the consoles were designed to better implement online gaming/features, patching is a viable option for many things, yet we get par to sub-par experiences of last gen in said franchise for example.

Top Bottom