• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles will still lead in Industry Winning Graphics....

kikkis

Is 10GB of vram enough for next gen games? Consoles have about 13GB available for games, and i imagine most of it for assets that go to vram. Could get kind of salty if 3080 cant run games at console settings because of lack of vram.

ACESHIGH

Banned
The damage control from Sony fanboys after ampere released is incredible on this forum.

Truly the place where the most repulsive Sony fanboys gather.

When the 3050 releases and it ends up trading blows with the ps5 this place will be set on fire.

All those ps4 games will look great on the 3050. Make no mistake, games are coming. For a one and done effort seems guerrilla is investing a lot of time into fixing HZD. Seems they want to earn pc gamers trust on the long run for some reason?

Last edited:

Caio

Just immagine a brand new Crysis developed to take full advantage of a Intel Core i9-10980XE + RTX 3080/3090 :D

One must ask what experiential qualities does good graphics offer?

If you are a videophile and get a kick out of face melting graphics, pc is the way to go. You can upgrade the card, as same level of graphics don't give the kick for long.

Console makers do offer interesting and unique art style as is agreed upon, to a point where they single handedly are able to carry a game. So if you want to get to see something beautiful, console exclusives can give you that.

Higher resolution or settings don't make a game look beautiful. But they can also help trigger a state in which you are immersed more.

All this talk about power, power, power. How about a game that leverages that power in unique game-play ways? Not everything has to push the ray-tracing envelope.

Astral Dog

I have a question for the hardware people, will these super duper fast cards make 60fps on consoles less likely? I know this really doesn't make much sense but I'm interested in the general thoughts on this.
I don't think so, this gen more series jumped to 60fps (or at least 45)on console like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, all remasters, etc. I believe next gen will have many more games running at 60, just don't expect all of them and depends on the genre of course.

One thing for sure we are far removed from the PS3 days were console framerates were consistently awful that's something to be grateful for even if we aren't in Allgames60 dreamland

Zathalus

Well, I'm glad one of us is confident. Source? Any ideas on what modifications could be done seeing as though clock speeds are at their max? What kind of GPU? Another one with more RAM? Cost? $899?

3 years from now 5nm should be possible for the consoles, so hypothetical PS5 Pro specs could be as follows:

4.2 Ghz Zen 2 or 3 design. 5nm will help greatly here with reducing power consumption.
24 GB GDDR6, 768 Gbps or 864 Gbps memory is possible.
SSD can remain the same.
GPU can be butterflied again. 72 CUs RDNA 3 on 5nm. Straight doubling of GPU power (likely a bit more with IPC gains) and likely much better RT as well.

Price will undoubtedly be a issue however.

Furthermore, the above won't be enough for 8k gaming, but it will certainly allow for enhanced visuals at the same resolution.

This is no guarantee though, but it will be perfectly possible to have a enhanced console in 3 or 4 years.

Jon Neu

Banned
Looking at the last of us 2...

yeah pc aint got fuck on console gaming.
Absolute blown away by it.

More like consoles ain't got fuck on PC gaming.

3 years from now 5nm should be possible for the consoles, so hypothetical PS5 Pro specs could be as follows:

4.2 Ghz Zen 2 or 3 design. 5nm will help greatly here with reducing power consumption.
SSD can remain the same.
GPU can be butterflied again. 72 CUs RDNA 3 on 5nm. Straight doubling of GPU power (likely a bit more with IPC gains) and likely much better RT as well.

Furthermore, the above won't be enough for 8k gaming, but it will certainly allow for enhanced visuals at the same resolution.

This is no guarantee though, but it will be perfectly possible to have a enhanced console in 3 or 4 years.

Nobody is going to care about 8K gaming in the near future. We aren't even going to hit native 4K as standard this gen.

Pro versions could market themselves as 120fps + Full Ray Tracing machines though.

Bolivar687

Banned
I think I'm actually the perfect counter-argument to this.

After having seen the lackluster offering for this "next gen" I decided to go back to pc and leave my console friends behind. I really need something "new" apart from remakes, rereleases and reimaginations of the same old games.
So, I got my HP Reverb G2 (VR Headset) coming in october and boy, check out the progress we made on those screens.

This is basically running 4k at 90hz (2160*2160 per eye). While consoles might be able to produce that for some games, most of these titles will never even be available there.
There are definitely "next level" experiences that can only be had on pc. Question is: Is that what you're into and can you afford it?

The consoles will have VR, too.

If you're trying to prove that PC isn't merely about an improvement to resolution and framerate of substantially the same experience, the Reverb G2 isn't a very good choice of a counterargument. The improved resolution to past VR solutions seems to be the entire proposition behind the product. Your video also only shows Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa. If those games don't come to the consoles' VR platforms, I have to imagine that substantially similar games will.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Nobody is going to care about 8K gaming in the near future. We aren't even going to hit native 4K as standard this gen.

Pro versions could market themselves as 120fps + Full Ray Tracing machines though.

Nope TLOU2 has better animation. srsly a true next gen game.

everything gameplay wise from rdr2 is clunky as fuck
definition of last gen game imo
BUT RDR2 def looks pretty on pc ;)

Last edited:

nochance

Banned
In the first half of the PS3 era I would still buy that argument to some extent, but since 2010 the gap between consoles and PC has been so enormous that no one who experienced both would honestly mouth such nonsense.

Console games feel unfinished because of the low framerate, pop in and low res textures.
Art style is a good counter argument to an extent, Zelda BotW is an amazing looking, alive feeling game, GoW on PS4 looks great, but because it strives for a realistic look its shortcomings stab you right in the eyes.

VFXVeteran

Banned

SSD can remain the same.

So you think that a PS5 Pro will make a massive jump from the 1080Ti performance PS5 and go all the way to 3090 levels?

DeaDPo0L84

i know right, i only buy console for exclusives, so like 3-4 games every year, pc for the remaining 95% of games on the market.

This is where I get a good laugh out of the "fuck PC,buy a playstation so you don't miss the amazing exclusives". That's all fine and well but the exclusives I personally care to play are maybe limited to 2-3 a year, and that's being generous. So for the other 95% of the games I'll play am I to accept a lesser quality experience both graphically and performance wise in anticipation of the 2-3 games a year that validate why I bought a PS5?

Me personally I'll buy a 3080 this year and a PS5 later next year when there's more exclusives out I personally care about. For those who can't understand the benefits to gaming on PC over their console counterpart and ignorantly going "it's just sliders and fps" tells me they have zero fucking clue what they're talking about.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is where I get a good laugh out of the "fuck PC,buy a playstation so you don't miss the amazing exclusives". That's all fine and well but the exclusives I personally care to play are maybe limited to 2-3 a year, and that's being generous. So for the other 95% of the games I'll play am I to accept a lesser quality experience both graphically and performance wise in anticipation of the 2-3 games a year that validate why I bought a PS5?

Me personally I'll buy a 3080 this year and a PS5 later next year when there's more exclusives out I personally care about. For those who can't understand the benefits to gaming on PC over their console counterpart and ignorantly going "it's just sliders and fps" tells me they have zero fucking clue what they're talking about.
Don't forget the price, you pay third party game for pc noticeably less than day one console (but you can't re-sell)

GymWolf

Seems like a waste of money. Just wait a year and they (Sony games) will be out on PC too.
If it work like this gen, is more like 3 yars later and not every single game.
also i can't even wait 6 months to play a game that i'm hyped for, imagine 1 years (or 3 :ROFLMAO: )

Nah i'm good, 500 euros for a console that last 7-8 years is nothing unless you don't have a job.

So you think that a PS5 Pro will make a massive jump from the 1080Ti performance PS5 and go all the way to 3090 levels?
It depends on when it releases, and at what price. Xbox one X has over 3x the gpu performance of the base ps4. A ps5 pro with a similar jump over base ps5 would have over 30+~Tflops.... oh but remember xbox one x is not a 3x jump over the lower tflops machine but over the higher tflops machine, so if we take it possible ps5 pro could be 3x performance of xbox series x, or over 36+Tflops.

The 3070 surpasses the 2080 ti, and the 4070 will likely surpass the 3090. So midrange cards beating the super priced cards a few years later isn't out of the question.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It depends on when it releases, and at what price. Xbox one X has over 3x the gpu performance of the base ps4. A ps5 pro with a similar jump over base ps5 would have over 30+~Tflops.... oh but remember xbox one x is not a 3x jump over the lower tflops machine but over the higher tflops machine, so if we take it possible ps5 pro could be 3x performance of xbox series x, or over 36+Tflops.

The 3070 surpasses the 2080 ti, and the 4070 will likely surpass the 3090. So midrange cards beating the super priced cards a few years later isn't out of the question.

Consoles had a chance to have 2080Ti performance after those cards were introduced over 2yrs ago and yet it didn't happen. There would be no PS5 Pro that would rival 3090 levels because AMD doesn't have a card now that rivals those levels. It's highly highly unlikely and would most certainly be well over $1k.

Zathalus

Firstly, minor nitpick, I wouldn't use the 1080ti as a point of comparison for the PS5 GPU, the 2070 Super fits the bill far better, due to the mesh shaders, VRS, RT, comparable IPC, etc...

Secondly, I don't think 72 CUs RDNA 3 GPU would be quite 3090 levels, more around 3080 level. The 3080 is not even twice as powerful as the 2070 Super. For comparison, the PS4 pro GPU was 2.3 times as powerful over the base console, and the Xbox One X was over 4 times as powerful as its base console.

When the PS4 released, the fastest GPU was the Geforce 780 ti which was almost 2.5 times as fast in comparison. The PS4 pro was within spitting distance of that GPU just 3 years later.

So we have precedent for this kind of thing. You should know better then most that the GPU performance crown is quickly stolen away and trickles down to the midrange. 3 years from now I can easily see 3080 performance in the midrange and in a console refresh.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Firstly, minor nitpick, I wouldn't use the 1080ti as a point of comparison for the PS5 GPU, the 2070 Super fits the bill far better, due to the mesh shaders, VRS, RT, comparable IPC, etc...

Secondly, I don't think 72 CUs RDNA 3 GPU would be quite 3090 levels, more around 3080 level. The 3080 is not even twice as powerful as the 2070 Super. For comparison, the PS4 pro GPU was 2.3 times as powerful over the base console, and the Xbox One X was over 4 times as powerful as its base console.

When the PS4 released, the fastest GPU was the Geforce 780 ti which was almost 2.5 times as fast in comparison. The PS4 pro was within spitting distance of that GPU just 3 years later.

So we have precedent for this kind of thing. You should know better then most that the GPU performance crown is quickly stolen away and trickles down to the midrange. 3 years from now I can easily see 3080 performance in the midrange and in a console refresh.

The problem is if you are going to do linear interpolation as a means of predicting what hardware is going to look like every 3yrs, then what happened with matching 2080Ti levels in the PS4 Pro? I don't think you will get 3080 performance levels in a mid-gen refresh (if there is one) when AMD hasn't even released an RDNA 2 card that can do a 3080 performance metric for PCs. Now if you are hoping on a mid-gen refresh with rasterized 3080 performance levels, sure. The doubt comes in with coming up with a redesigned architecture that would be required to fully compete with a 3080 on ALL rendering levels without hijacking TMUs for ray-tracing and adding some kind of hardware AI. That won't be around for PS5 Pro. And will be required for running games like Cyberpunk 2077 with all RTX features enabled at good FPS.

So, yea if you are speaking only in terms of rasterized texture array units and sheer Int16 TFLOPS. OK. If Sony wants to add a few more cores to their arch for the PS5 and repackage it as a Pro version (2 SKUs assuming) and sell it for $599 for a few more TFLOPS, I'm not sure where the real gain would be in that. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Zathalus

The problem is if you are going to do linear interpolation as a means of predicting what hardware is going to look like every 3yrs, then what happened with matching 2080Ti levels in the PS4 Pro? I don't think you will get 3080 performance levels in a mid-gen refresh (if there is one) when AMD hasn't even released an RDNA 2 card that can do a 3080 performance metric for PCs. Now if you are hoping on a mid-gen refresh with rasterized 3080 performance levels, sure. The doubt comes in with coming up with a redesigned architecture that would be required to fully compete with a 3080 on ALL rendering levels without hijacking TMUs for ray-tracing and adding some kind of hardware AI. That won't be around for PS5 Pro. And will be required for running games like Cyberpunk 2077 with all RTX features enabled at good FPS.

So, yea if you are speaking only in terms of rasterized texture array units and sheer Int16 TFLOPS. OK. If Sony wants to add a few more cores to their arch for the PS5 and repackage it as a Pro version (2 SKUs assuming) and sell it for $599 for a few more TFLOPS, I'm not sure where the real gain would be in that. 🤷‍♂️
I think your entire premise rests on a flawed assumption. The 3080 is not even twice as powerful as the upcoming consoles. Matching that in 3 years time with a newer silicon node hardly seems out of the realms of possibility. Furthermore, I am indeed referring to rasterization, AMD RT is still up in the air, but from what we know so far it doesn't seem to be worse then Turing. Since Ampere RT gains are not double over Turing I can fully see it (Ampere) being matched in 3 years.

A 80 CU RDNA 2 part seems just around the corner, having a 64-72 CU RDNA 3 5nm chip in a $599 console in 3-4 years hardly seems a stretch.

That being said, I am not sure if it will be actually be done. The PS4 Pro / One X were both meaningful upgrades due to the massive leap in resolution over 1080p, that will not happen here. Selling a entire new SKU over just 'enhanced visuals' seems like it could be a harder sell then 'take advantage of your shiny new 4k display'. 8k console gaming is out of the question.

The problem is if you are going to do linear interpolation as a means of predicting what hardware is going to look like every 3yrs, then what happened with matching 2080Ti levels in the PS4 Pro? I don't think you will get 3080 performance levels in a mid-gen refresh (if there is one) when AMD hasn't even released an RDNA 2 card that can do a 3080 performance metric for PCs
when the ps5 pro releases there will likely be a 4080 ti, of course the ps5 pro won't match the 4080 ti.

This is similar to the 2080 ti, the ps4 pro was never going to match a high end card released around the time of its release.

The xbox one x does match the 780ti released around the ps4 base launch.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
If we're still running 1080p 30 frames i 2020 then console gaming as whole will always play catch up when it comes to utilizing hardware.

Whitecrow

Banned

Amazing walking simulator.

Works as a tech demo. But you cant make an actual game, like, something with gameplay and interactions, with that realism, so...

Guilty_AI

Most of what you listed isn't AAA....
I mean, who needs boring generic AAA when there are far more techinically impressive stuff being made like this:

or this

EDIT: dont know why the laugh reaction. You don't see mmos with persistent and entirely destructible worlds down to small details with player driven economies and large scale pvp very often. Nor rpgs that allow epic +1000 soldiers battles, mixing with rts elements. If you cant see the worth of these things, not just for gameplay but also from a technical perspective, you shouldn't be arguing here.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Amazing walking simulator.

Works as a tech demo. But you cant make an actual game, like, something with gameplay and interactions, with that realism, so...

Yeah, it's just a vast open and alive world with thousands of interactive NPC's and super insane attention to detail in which you can do and play literally as anything: vampires, indians, pirates, robots, animals...

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think your entire premise rests on a flawed assumption. The 3080 is not even twice as powerful as the upcoming consoles. Matching that in 3 years time with a newer silicon node hardly seems out of the realms of possibility. Furthermore, I am indeed referring to rasterization, AMD RT is still up in the air, but from what we know so far it doesn't seem to be worse then Turing. Since Ampere RT gains are not double over Turing I can fully see it (Ampere) being matched in 3 years.

A 80 CU RDNA 2 part seems just around the corner, having a 64-72 CU RDNA 3 5nm chip in a $599 console in 3-4 years hardly seems a stretch.

Haven't we all learned armchair engineer hardware with the PS5 reveal? You should explore that speculation thread over the last year and see what numbers people were convinced was going to be released.

The 3080 isn't twice as powerful as upcoming consoles? Where are the benchmarks?

VFXVeteran

Banned
when the ps5 pro releases there will likely be a 4080 ti, of course the ps5 pro won't match the 4080 ti.

This is similar to the 2080 ti, the ps4 pro was never going to match a high end card released around the time of its release.

The xbox one x does match the 780ti released around the ps4 base launch.

Nvidia's timeline isn't the same as AMD's or the consoles. We don't know what will be released in 3yrs by Nvidia. They might not release anything or it might be a mild upgrade. I wouldn't make any bets that any version of console would match any previous high-end (i.e. 3090) of any graphics card (AMD or Nvidia). It hasn't been the case last gen nor will it be this gen or any of the future ones.

Nvidia's timeline isn't the same as AMD's or the consoles. We don't know what will be released in 3yrs by Nvidia. They might not release anything or it might be a mild upgrade. I wouldn't make any bets that any version of console would match any previous high-end (i.e. 3090) of any graphics card (AMD or Nvidia). It hasn't been the case last gen nor will it be this gen or any of the future ones.

Tflops wise the last high end nvidia card was matched by a mid tier upgrade

5.345 TFLOPS. 780ti november 7 2013

ps4 release date november 15 2013

xbox one x refresh. 6Tflops.

The best hope the PC master race has for the next 2 years is to port beg a faster porting process of Horizon II Forbidden West. Instead of taking 2-3 years (if at all), port beg for 6 months - 1 year. Knowing Hermen's propensity to whore for a few greebacks it may be a better strategy to postpone buying a 3090, and spending half of that money in buying some fake twitter accounts to prop his ego. Either that or bet rekindling lost love with DICE when Battlefield 6 hits? Maybe...No?

That $800-$1000 investment won't be justified by marginal improvement in third party content compared to Sony bangers ..... it ain't gonna cut it this coming gen just like it didn't this gen. Hec, it's getting even worse as we're getting flooded with low-end hardware. Hardware which will be catered to. Crappy hardware like the Series S or Switch (with that huge install base) just makes Sony exclusives the more premium.

Brute forcing some marginal improvement in effects and framarate 1-2 years after initial release (for Horizon II Forbidden West) won't even do it I think . At that point PS5 owners would be looking at God of War 2 or Naughty Dog's next-game as the new benchmark, not Forbidden West. Just when you think port begging is a thing of the past.... it comes back with full force?

There are only 2 ways OP's prediction won't continue to reoccur: A cataclysmic drop in quality of output from PS flagship studios or Playstation exclusives dropping Day 1 on PC. That or Valve giving a shit for their consumers but we know they don't.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Haven't we all learned armchair engineer hardware with the PS5 reveal? You should explore that speculation thread over the last year and see what numbers people were convinced was going to be released.

I'm just speculating what can be possible in 3 years, of course it's pretty likely I am wrong, but nothing I mentioned is outside the realm of possibility. The shift to 5nm will help with power consumption greatly.

The 3080 isn't twice as powerful as upcoming consoles? Where are the benchmarks?

Nvidias own (likely best case and cherry-picked) benchmarks? The PS5 is roughly a 2070 Super, the XSX is roughly a 2080 Super, the 3080 is only about 80% faster then a 2070 Super, so not twice as faster then either console.
Nvidia-RTX-3080-Graph-NicheGamer9-1-2020-1024x442.png

It literally was the case, the 780ti was far faster then either console at launch and was soundly beaten by the Xbox One X 4 years later.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
I understand being salty and a warrior vs competing consoles but you're taking on a literal 30TF gaming GPU? What's the matter with you?

notseqi

The best hope the PC master race has for the next 2 years is to port beg a faster porting process of Horizon II Forbidden West. Instead of taking 2-3 years (if at all), port beg for 6 months - 1 year.
Acting like I don't have shit to do in the meantime with all the games I bought previously, store sales, emulators and old replayables. There is reason why you don't see PC-cry-threads.

Top Bottom