• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles will still lead in Industry Winning Graphics....

Nemesisuuu

Important games... Like God of War, BotW, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, all those other game of the year, game of the generation winners?

Was amazing to see those on PC during the years they won. Ultra settings in 400fps. Mind blowing.

I bet this years winner will also be one of those 'important' games. lol
I'm talking about future Sony and MS strategy about bringing exclusives to PC. Not about games that everyone who really wanted to play played already on console.

And yes, I'd rather play them at 400fps than 30fps. lol

jigglet

Banned
But that is also part of the problem. Apart from maybe CD Project Red & Valve, There are simply no exclusively or predominately PC focused development studios left, that will ever push these new cards to their limits, there's just no money in it for them.

At the end of the day these new GPU's will only ever be pushed to said limits running console ports at higher resolutions and framerates.

I don't get this obsession with exclusives. Yes they are important, and the reason I will continue to buy consoles (shock: some of us are happy to own all of them), but many games are multiplatform and that 30fps limit and 60fov limit are driving me fucking insane.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Why wouldn't it? 3090 kills ps5 x3 plus. Definitely higher resolution and framerate. You'd be killing yourself to think otherwise. HFW native 60fps with all the fidelity the world could give you, only on PC. Why else would they be releasing on PC?

Why would it need that with Sony games coming out for PC? Best of all worlds.
I'm sure you'll have a great time in 2024 (maybe) my dear PC kek.

anothertech

I'm talking about future Sony and MS strategy about bringing exclusives to PC. Not about games that everyone who really wanted to play played already on console.

And yes, I'd rather play them at 400fps than 30fps. lol
Lol wouldn't we all

Nah I'm a PC gamer and console gamer. I just like to argue

DJT123

Important games... Like God of War, BotW, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, all those other game of the year, game of the generation winners?

Was amazing to see those on PC during the years they won. Ultra settings in 400fps. Mind blowing.

I bet this years winner will also be one of those 'important' games. lol

Technically, that is available on PC. Cemu (Wii U emulation) and It obviously ended up being a better showcase than it was on the Nintendo consoles- barring the pros of Switch portability. You can KEEP those other games. Although Spiderman looks fun to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:

martino

Technically, that is available on PC. Cemu (Wii U emulation) and It obviously ended up being a better showcase than it was on the Nintendo consoles- barring the pros of Switch portability.

tenor.gif

i need an rt hardware soon.

93xfan

Banned
Something something art style

I don’t game on PC, but I’m not sour it will have the best looking games. I already knew that decades ago.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
With Microsoft and Sony releasing first party games for pc now we should get some really interesting direct comparisons.

Diddy X

Technically, that is available on PC. Cemu (Wii U emulation) and It obviously ended up being a better showcase than it was on the Nintendo consoles- barring the pros of Switch portability. You can KEEP those other games. Although Spiderman looks fun to be perfectly honest.

Nintendo should grab that and sell it for the Switch Pro as a remaster.

anothertech

I played it on PC ;)

Vaelka

Guys it will be ok. Your consoles will still work fine. Take a deep breath and relax.

BUT HOW CAN I SURVIVE IF A GAME IS ALSO ON PC!??!?!!?!?!?
PLEASE I SOLD MY CHILDREN AND MY PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS TOO AND MY WIFE IS WORKING IN THE BROTHEL NEXT DOOR SO I CAN AFFORD MY PS4 I HAVE TO FEEL LIKE IT'S THE BEST!
WHAT WILL I DO IF PC CAN RENDER ALL 20K PORES IN THE FACE BUT MY PS4 CAN ONLY RENDER 10K!??????

I SWEAR IF GOW IS RELEASE ON PC I WILL SMASH MY PS4 AND SONY I WILL NEVER FORGIVE!

Last edited:

DJT123

isn't this one using RT core ? how will it perform with a 1080ti ?
No, it's not using fancy ray tracing hardware at all. It's just a ridiculously talented guy who wrote a fancy algorithm to try and replicate ray tracing I guess. Any old graphics card should do the trick. Cemu is well optimized at this point.

BUT HOW CAN I SURVIVE IF A GAME IS ALSO ON PC!??!?!!?!?!?
PLEASE I SOLD MY CHILDREN AND MY PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS TOO AND MY WIFE IS WORKING IN THE BROTHEL NEXT DOOR SO I CAN AFFORD MY PS4 I HAVE TO FEEL LIKE IT'S THE BEST!
WHAT WILL I DO IF PC CAN RENDER ALL 20K PORES IN THE FACE BUT MY PS4 CAN ONLY RENDER 10K!??????

I SWEAR IF GOW IS RELEASE ON PC I WILL SMASH MY PS4 AND SONY I WILL NEVER FORGIVE!
That Sony Marketing leaves a long tail.

Last edited:

martino

No, it's not using fancy ray tracing hardware at all. It's just a ridiculously talented guy who wrote a fancy algorithm to try and replicate ray tracing I guess. Any old graphics card should do the trick. Cemu is well optimized at this point.

That Sony Marketing leaves a long tail.
Great news i didn't took an interest in it because i assumed (and didn't verified) RTX hardware was needed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This whole tech topic that filling entire NeoGAF is as bad as “Road to PS5” stream. I’m really hoping this phase passes as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Calverz

Man these GPU’s completely blow away consoles. Like i mean, i dont even see how consoles will survive this? The GPU is so cheap too. Only a fool would would 100% dedicate to console now. I can PS5 games coming to pc now just like xbox. And they will look a lot better too!!

Joke

Last edited:

Damigos

Comparing pc and console specs is like comparing apples with oranges.

Consoles are dedicated closed specific hardware just for gaming and developers can optimize a lot.

PCs are used for a million things and specs are different even between pcs that cost the same. Since developers cant optimize like with consoles, PCs must have raw power.

What matters most of all are the games. Look at what Nintendo does

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
SILENCE!
You are to bow down and not resist when PC has its way with you.

Last edited:

Tickrate

I am of the opinion that picking a single side is so childish.
It's a bit cringe to see adults fight the Console war or be part of the PCMR circlejerk.
Unfortunately, these kinds of threads seem to attract both types.

Both sections of this industry bring innovation to which the other one reaps the benefits.
As a gamer, you get the luxury to enjoy both. Use it.

Mmnow

I am of the opinion that picking a single side is so childish.
It's a bit cringe to see adults fight the Console war or be part of the PCMR circlejerk.
Unfortunately, these kinds of threads seem to attract both types.

Both sections of this industry bring innovation to which the other one reaps the benefits.
As a gamer, you get the luxury to enjoy both. Use it.
People tie themselves in knots to justify one gaming device. It's too expensive, despite gaming being a pretty cheap hobby. There's not enough time, despite having 5,000 posts on this forum.

I understand having one device or having a great PC and not feeling you need consoles, but it's the insecurity that is so sad to see.

Comparing pc and console specs is like comparing apples with oranges.

Consoles are dedicated closed specific hardware just for gaming and developers can optimize a lot.

PCs are used for a million things and specs are different even between pcs that cost the same. Since developers cant optimize like with consoles, PCs must have raw power.

What matters most of all are the games. Look at what Nintendo does
Nah apart from shoddy ports like horizon you can get equal performance on consoles and pc with low level modern APIs. Plenty of examples around like death stranding which actually performs better on pc hardware equivalent to ps4.

thelastword

Banned
I'm a console fan myself but I've watched walkthrough YouTube videos of games like AC Odyssey running at max settings that made me drop my jaw it looked so good. And that's a very poorly optimised game too, mind you.

You just don't generally see these things because they aren't showcased kuz so few people actually have that hardware. But it's there. And it looks way better than TLOU2 and the like. Don't get me wrong, console games can look fantastic, but they are a far shot from high-end PC performance.
You saw that Odyssey looked better than LOU from a youtube video?

OP is the one clear cut fanboy that I just can't bring myself to put on the ignore list because he's just so damn committed. Like literally every single post for all the years I've been lurking has just been about how amazing everything sony does is. As far as respect for fanboys go, I gotta respect the dedication.

Complete fruitloop though.
This is a thread about consoles though, just that Sony makes the best looking games every gen. If XBOX matched them, they would be bundled up in the praise, but every year it's PS exclusives winning graphics if not GOTY's...That's the reality.
That's a bunch of bullshit right there. While you could say that it's sometimes true with third party titles, it's NEVER true for first party as you claim, especially Sony. All reveal trailers have "captured on PS4" or "PS4 Pro" on them. With PS5 it's even less possible since the tech isn't there yet to be able to have the kind of throughput for games like Ratchet and Clank. nVidia is addressing this with RTX I/O so if you have a fast SSD on PC and a card with RTX I/O you'll be able to achieve high throughput like on PS5, but it'll require you to have all new stuff in your rig. As such it might be a while before devs fully embrace it on PC since they know that only very few PCs are equipped with all the latest and greatest.
New MB, new GPU and perhaps to upgrade CPU and other parts not to bottleneck that system. A system is only as fast as it's slowest part. The cost is huge, people pretend that $700 is peanuts, $500 is peanuts, $1500 is peanuts, they are not.....It's only one part in a system where you need many other parts, including an expensive SSD that Nvidia is touting or a CPU that won't bottleneck that card. So if Nvidia has to use a much lower DLSS footprint to justify these prices, it's even worse value when people try to justify the TF increase over consoles, where the power is in effect only there to run console games at higher rez and frames, and even then, not the best console games at that, at least not in a hurry. They would have to wait years for those after years of part begging and imagining that Horizon 1 would look much better on PC than it's sequel on console. The sad reality is by the time PC receives Horizon 2, there would be several more iterations of these NV cards, with much more power. Several more thousands would have been spent....SO in essence in 2025, you would have persons anticipating a 120TF GPU talking about playing Horizon 2 at 16K and 120fps.....

When the real console exclusives start blowing minds, the PC guys will still be talking about Witcher 3 in 8k lol
Precisely, I have yet to see the PC gamers demand games targetting all the money they spend on high end GPU's or even second tier third tier like the 3070. The reality is, it's just not viable in this shaky industry. You need a cushion which consoles are. If you try this on PC it's a big risk. The Star Citizen guys could not get funding by publishers which is evident, so they went to gamers and so maybe PC gamers wanted something to show PC afterall, but the quality of the developer is important too. Look at how long Star Citizen has been in development. By the time the full release comes out it won't even be in contention for top twenty graphics.......It would have been left by the wayside by a number of games.....

And for the random comments about consoles being more powerful than PC, no one is saying that here, read the OP. Consoles have never been more powerful than PC. Consoles have just harnessed their limited powers much more impressively than PC has in the last 3 decades....

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Budgetary limits and talent play a more important role for graphical fidelity than sheer compute power. You will see a lot of PS5 exclusives looking better than most multiplats running on a 3090.

This is a thread about consoles though, just that Sony makes the best looking games every gen. If XBOX matched them, they would be bundled up in the praise, but every year it's PS exclusives winning graphics if not GOTY's...That's the reality.

I can't remember a single year that a console game had the best graphics. Console fanboys giving each other token awards means nothing.

Edit: Actually I do remember one year it was gears of war on xbox360 which was the graphics king for almost a year. It hasn't happened since then.

Last edited:
No begging here. HZD felt like a ubisoft wannabe. Not impressed.

HZD was only behind Zelda in 2017 as a GOTY contender. Above Mario Odyssey and persona 5. An Ubisoft wannabe? lol

TLOU2 was a sjw story, hard pass.

lol

It's not like PC has a game like Crysis come out every year that really pushes it.

They didn't even show something of what this power can do. We saw some console-based games though. Hinting what is this all the fuss about.

Right now R&C next-gen is the king after Part2 graphically. I prefer to stay focus on the actual playable results. Numbers are just numbers.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I second this! PlayStation fans were hyping HZD up to the high heavens when it released on their little plastic box. I tried it out on PC recently, whatever, it ran fine and didn't crash once, but I was bored out of my mind after about 4 hours and went back to playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker & haven't touched it since. I honestly prefer Assassins Creed Odyssey. If the other PS exclusives are similarly overhyped they can keep them. Not paying 50$ for that crap upfront again. Games designed by focus group consent!
AC Odyssey has one of the jankiest combat systems ever. It's real bad.
How anyone can prefer that bloated, morbidly obese mess to Horizon is beyond me but whatever floats your boat.

The is no THE GOTY, there are dozens if not hundreds of awards. Odyssey is a 97/100 game, HZD a 89.
Indeed. but I am referring to the games that accumulated GOTY awards of 2017

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189
2. Horizon Zero Dawn - 52
3. Super Mario Odyssey - 26

Awards have a different logic compared to Metascore. I respect both. My intention was not to compare it with Mario of course. But to argue that the game is GOTY material. Ubisoft games are not at that level in the last decade at least.

Last edited:

DJT123

AC Odyssey has one of the jankiest combat systems ever. It's real bad.
How anyone can prefer that bloated, morbidly obese mess to Horizon is beyond me but whatever floats your boat.
The combat in HZD is fun, no doubt, especially taking on the large robots which feels intimidating. I just don't see myself sticking with it as long as I did with AC. There's some hook that I'm missing. (I've been really into CRPG's lately also)

Last edited:
You don't need an 800x zoom to see double or even quadruple the frame rate that PC gaming offers. Plus you have a wider variety of games on PC, better sales, MODS, ect..

The "wide Variety" of PC games are mostly Indie games playable on any notebook, You simply dont need to build an expensive hardware to have access to these games. Even classic and popular PC games like diablo ond world of Warcraft have shitty graphics that can run on any hardware, and they are the type of games that dont intetest a typical console gamer in the First place.

The eyes of hardcore gamers (You know, the ones that are looking forward to games and not counting fps) are more on the platform that releases great exclusive modern contents month after month, and thats why PS4 and switch have great Sales. As an example, You Just cant have on any other platform a good year start like PS4 had been putting with a great sequence of Very good titles like Dreams, FFVIIremake, TlouPart2 and Ghost of Tsushima etc. Thats where many people eyes are on: games.

As for framerates, again, You are the kind that overestimate its importance. All that matters is having a smooth experience, and theres a point that more fps is just not detriment to the Fun aspect. In fact, many of the most acclaimed games in history were not played at Very high fps, but if If conforts You, 60fps mode on console is a trending now, and thats good enough for Very smooth experience.

Your post really agrees with Mine when you Said you get way higher fps, because thats almost all you are left to do since You can not get real visuals difference like Infamous to Infamous 2 or Splinter Cell on PS2 vs Xbox. Devs dont have any motivation to please a tiny fraction of PC gamer population that gets the elite hardware and really provide a good visual leap, so thats why all you have left is increasing fps.

CrysisFreak

Banned
HZD was only behind Zelda in 2017 as a GOTY contender. Above Mario Odyssey and persona 5. An Ubisoft wannabe? lol

lol

They didn't even show something of what this power can do. We saw some console-based games though. Hinting what is this all the fuss about.

Right now R&C next-gen is the king after Part2 graphically. I prefer to stay focus on the actual playable results. Numbers are just numbers.
Their marbles RT demo was impressive though.

turtlepowa

Banned
Indeed. I am referring to the games that accumulated GOTY awards of 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 189

Horizon Zero Dawn - 52

Super Mario Odyssey - 26

Awards have a different logic compared to Metascore. I respect both. My intention was not to compare it with Mario of course. But to argue that the game is GOTY material. Ubisoft games are not at that level in the last decade at least.
While HZD was not a bad game, i'm pretty sure as a multiplatorm game it would have been around something like 80-82 and that's in the region of Ubisoft games. In my opionion all exclusive games get too high ratings, too much attention, too many awards and yes that includes Mario and Zelda.

Thanks for the link, very interesting overview.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I know people are excited about Nvidia's recent announcement of 30 Tlop PC GPU's, but realistically they are just doubling the number of cuda cores per SM, similar to how you double the number of CPU cores per physical core. Yet more than that, in every generation, consoles never had the best hardware and in every generation the best GPU the PC had to offer was always much more expensive than consoles....

Yet we are back to the same old cycle with PC GPU's vs a console. The strongest PC GPU is never going to be leveraged by a dev or no one is going to give a dev the gargantuan budget they need to defy all graphics technology by developing solely for a 3090, because realistically the market would not be there to make it viable. PC devs have already been burnt by pursuing such. Look at Crysis, a stalwart developed for high end PC GPU's years ago, but whilst Crytek has been on the verge of going under numerous times, the dev who developed a very good looking but also fluid 60fps game in COD has made bank upon bank over the years. The fortnites are bringing all the cash, why? Accessibility, because these games can target a wider spread of the market. In truth, boasting about the best GPU is something that has no real impact on how games are made, which games are made and which games are pushing the graphical envelope anymore....

In PS4's era, you had 13.7-15TF GPU's in Vega, Pascal and Turing, but the hardware which consistently wowed people with visuals or visual engineering was the PS4, time after time. In order to exploit hardware, you need an end game, you need a solid installbase with good enough hardware where talented devs can utilize and maximize it's potential minus utility rez upgrades. By no means was PS4 anywhere close to the i7-i9's or the 1080ti's to 2080ti's, but it was where a solid enough installbase existed to fuel a proper investment and commitment to AAA development. In essence, there were some limitations last gen based on what could go into these consoles. Yet now, consoles will be decked with state of the art CPU's and GPU's, not mobile parts and just like a 1.84TF console with a lowly Jaguar gave us the best looking games in the last seven years over all the PC behemoth machines, I expect the 10TF custom hardware with a good GPU to do even more against the behemoth kits we will see on PC, simply because the PC power will never be utilized ground up, the high end cards will never have the installbase to warrant the AAA development and budgets in the consoles space.

As we have seen very often. PC has always stayed ahead of the consoles, but it has been the consoles always pushing visuals forward with every new generation........
Exactly. Master race will never admit this and just continue jerking off to the numbers as always, but this is the (for them) ugly truth. They can throw resolution and fps on the games, they will still look marginally different than on consoles. And in addition the constant suck with drivers, unexpected errors, performance issues and so on.

I get what OP is saying. Sure, with PCs you can double your resolution and framerates, maybe a little bit better shading here and there with better use of Raytracing, but there will never be a PC game made specifically for a 10th gen Core i9 , an Nvidia 3080, etc. Not when Series X and PS5 are the baselines. When these two consoles were announced, a friend of mine said he's "Been playing with next gen graphics for the last 3 years." I said "No. You've been playing with current gen graphics with higher settings" the last 3 years. Consoles provide the baseline and PCs amp it up, but still fundamentally same graphics on the same games.

I can't remember a single year that a console game had the best graphics. Console fanboys giving each other token awards means nothing.

There is not a single year because it was every year.

2013 the last of us/GTA5(there was only a console version)
2014 Infamous/Driveclub
2015 the order 1886
2016 Uncharted 4
2017 Horizon Zero Dawn
2018 GOW/RDR2
2019 Death Stranding/Days gone
2020 The last of us part 2/ GOT
2021 - ''insert ps5 games here''

Most of them were awarded for their technical achievement. Also, most of them were GOTY winners or contenders at worse.

Jump in. It's never late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom