• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine (HellblazerTM)????

bunkum

Bits Corp plc ('Bits' or 'Bits Corp'), a leading UK developer of video game
software for major console platforms, today reports that Warner Bros.
Interactive Entertainment Inc. and Vertigo/DC Comics have granted Bits Corp the
license to develop a video game for the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures film
Constantine and to publish and distribute such game together with a publisher to
be approved by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Bits.

The game will be based on the major film release of the same name featuring John
Constantine, the compelling lead character in DC Comics/VertigoTM publication,
HellblazerTM. The game will feature an original storyline based around the film
and is being developed for the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system
and the XboxTM video game system from Microsoft.

Anyone know who the publisher is?

Been hearing good things about the film and the game.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
bunkum said:
Anyone know who the publisher is?

Been hearing good things about the film and the game.

What you've heard is correct ;) I think the publisher will be announced shortly...

boutrosinit

bunkum said:
I asked the 1st question, do you have an answer? ;)

I do ;)

boutrosinit said:
What you've heard is correct I think the publisher will be announced shortly...

You may get your answer by next week...

What could be happening over the weekend... I wander...

*rubs chin in thoughtful pose*

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Didn't Bits made the Bad Boys II game? And doesn't Constantine (the movie) look like a massive heap of junk?

Recipe for disaster - or hilarity.

boutrosinit

Mr Mike said:
Didn't Bits made the Bad Boys II game? And doesn't Constantine (the movie) look like a massive heap of junk?

Recipe for disaster - or hilarity.

Bad Boys II = BLITZ. It rhymes so you were close. And the film actually looks rather good indeed. Quite impressed is I.

Rhindle

boutrosinit said:
And the film actually looks rather good indeed. Quite impressed is I.
whoa1.jpg

bunkum

So it stole the show at Comic-Con but still no clues to the publisher of the game :(

Keanu Reeves Talks Constantine

Empire at Comic-Con: Day 2
24 July 2004
Friday marked the day that the big studios really unleashed their annual onslaught on the San Diego Comic-Con. There was a Batman Begins presentation, with input from David Goyer and Cillian Murphy. There was a panel for The Incredibles, with director Brad Bird presenting footage of Pixar’s latest masterpiece-in-waiting.

Goyer then showed up again, this time with the endlessly charming and frankly endlessly attractive Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds in tow, to plug Blade: Trinity, while Blade II director Guillermo Del Toro was around to present details of the Hellboy DVD.

So who would have guessed that one of the previously most-maligned comic book adaptations around would steal the show? For Keanu Reeves popped into San Diego yesterday to plug his latest flick, Constantine, in which he plays a world-weary and amoral mage who must thwart a demonic plan to destroy mankind… while trying to figure out a way to defeat his own terminal lung cancer.

So far the project has been much-maligned by fans of Hellblazer, the comic upon which the $100 million movie is based. Mainly because the title character, John Constantine, is British and blond. Reeves is neither of those things. On such small details can fanboys turn, the thinking being ‘if they can’t even get that right, there’s no telling what damage can be caused!’

Well, it was damage limitation time today, as Reeves, director Francis Lawrence and co-star Djimon Hounsou brought with them an astonishing 17 minutes of footage. And boy, did that damage limitation work.

The length of the montage of clips from the movie indicated a refreshing confidence in the movie and so it proved. When the lights had been brought back up in Hall H at the San Diego Conference Centre, the mood had changed from palpable scepticism to unalloyed optimism. Of course, we’ve yet to see the remaining hundred minutes or so, but right now Constantine’s looking pretty damned good.

Without going too far into spoiler territory, the footage included: one of the best ‘out of the blue’ car accidents committed to film; Tilda Swinton as an androgynous Archangel Gabriel, sporting a lovely pair of wings; a fresh and feverish depiction of Hell, through which Constantine takes a small detour; several unnerving sudden demon attacks; an exorcism more terrifying than anything hinted at in the Exorcist: The Beginning trailer (which also played at the Warner Bros. presentation); and a fun sequence in which Constantine takes out a roomful of demons armed with a crucifix gun and a sprinkler system filled with holy water.

Yet this isn’t simply The Matrixorcist. Yes, Reeves does get to do the action thing, but this is dark, brooding, deeply twisted and disturbed, visually stunning (and we’re not talking wildly spinning cameras, as you might expect from a former music vid director, but a locked down camera and superb use of shadow, creating a sense of overwhelming menace) and most of all, very scary as Constantine is assailed from all sides by demons of all kinds. Imagine if David Lynch had directed Ghostbusters and you’re on the right track.

“We wanted to show the fans that we have not made Van Helsing,” said Lawrence. “My approach from the beginning was never to treat it like a comic book movie. Everybody’s done all the dutched angles and all the bright colours, and made things super-campy. There’s plenty of elements of horror in this. There’s plenty of scares. It’s creepy throughout.”

At the heart of it all, though, was Reeves, whose gritty, SFW turn as the nihilistic Constantine (rapidly encroaching lung cancer and all, a storyline taken from Garth Ennis’ run on Hellblazer) had the geeks eating out of the palm of his hand.

And, as if to reciprocate, the notoriously private and often prickly Reeves was personable and fun during the presentation (during which he was asked 90% of the questions), flashing a constantly bemused smile as his every word was greeted with shrieks and shouts.

At one point he even leapt down from the stage to receive a present from an endearingly eager fan, who declared that ‘You are DA BOMB!’ Luckily, it turned out to be an actual present and not a thinly veiled bomb threat.

“Anything where there’s a great enthusiasm and where there’s a coming together to share what you think is cool, I think it’s awesome,” said Reeves of the Comic-Con experience, before expounding further on the appeal of Constantine.

“I ditched the accent,” he laughed. “But I really loved the guy. I loved his anger. I loved his wry sense of humour about the awfulness of the world and what that’s turned him into. He’s like a warrior in this world of shit, and he’s trying to deal with it.”

Constantine is released in the UK next February. For more details on the movie, check back next week. And yes, we are aware that our pic is from Matrix Revolutions...

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16034

I 've heard that Reeves does a good job, but he will never be John Constantine. Constantine is fundamentally British. Reeves (as seen in Dracula) could not act British if he tried. That said, from all the positive word, he apparently makes a good character who just so happens to play a role like John Constantine.

Thankfully, the atrocious butchery of the once good Sandman script never got off the ground. The first book of Sandman was the basis for the script, but without Constantine or any other DC characters who cameoed in the book. Death: The High Cost of Living was also to be made a film at one point.

boutrosinit

bunkum said:
So it stole the show at Comic-Con but still no clues to the publisher of the game :(

Ah. Foo Katan (Bits boss) was there, but I guess he didn't feel it the right time. I'm sure the publisher will be announced soon. Hang tight ;)

boutrosinit said:
Ah. Foo Katan (Bits boss) was there, but I guess he didn't feel it the right time. I'm sure the publisher will be announced soon. Hang tight ;)

It's never the right time for BITS. Therefore, hanging tight does not apply.

bunkum

boutrosinit said:

I spoke with Bits late Friday and they said it would be down to WB to give the go ahead of announcement. You have confused me now suggesting its down to FK rather then WB.

boutrosinit

bunkum said:
I spoke with Bits late Friday and they said it would be down to WB to give the go ahead of announcement. You have confused me now suggesting its down to FK rather then WB.

You're reading into my statement too literally - I'm speculating on who will make the announcement, but I imagine it will be soon.

bunkum

boutrosinit said:
You're reading into my statement too literally - I'm speculating on who will make the announcement, but I imagine it will be soon.

Lol's I have a habit of doing that ;)

Give us a clue to who it is that won't give the game away to those who don't need to know :)

boutrosinit

bunkum said:
Lol's I have a habit of doing that ;)

Give us a clue to who it is that won't give the game away to those who don't need to know :)

*seals own lips with staplegun* ;)

bunkum

MassiveAttack said:
Exactly. Because ultimately BITS has done nothing worth mentioning for an eternity.

I agree its been a while, but a while back I heard this game could be special, hence trying to find out more about it. Trouble is everyone I know who should know something have signed a non disclosure agreement. Like pulling teeth trying to get more details :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I still pissed that nothing ever came of that Warlocked sequel for the GBA.

R-Type DX had some... problems, imho. Great idea, but the execution left something to be desired.

Top Bottom