• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contact Lens GAF, how do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wearing rigid gas permeable contact lenses since I was about 13. I've used both soft and hard lenses I couldnt get used to the soft lenses. You should look into GP lenses as a different option. They have a shape that can't be changed and are very easy to take in and out.

Ha, It's not THAT bad when they are inside out.

They won;t default to the right way around, they'll just go whichever way is easier at the time. IF you are unsure just turn one inside out and compare. You'll soon see which is which.

I found the same tbh.

my mate is an optometrist and its the first thing he told me - you can wear them double the rating.

Norua

Banned
Don't worry, everybody goes through that. You're putting something on your eyes, you are not used to that so it's a struggle at first.

It took me an hour the first time. After a few days, it became easier and easier. Like others have said, make sure your hands are very dry (but don't use a towel to dry it off because your fingertips will collect filth and dust again). Take it slow and you'll get there. In a week you will barely think about it.

What helped me was the realisation that you're not putting something IN your eyeball, you're placing it ON your eyeball. Also, if you do it properly, only the lens should touch the eyeball, not even your finger directly.

Saying that, the longer you wear contacts you get to the point where you can just touch your eyeball with your finger without blinking, it's no big deal.

Shiina

I've been wearing rigid gas permeable contact lenses since I was about 13. I've used both soft and hard lenses I couldnt get used to the soft lenses. You should look into GP lenses as a different option. They have a shape that can't be changed and are very easy to take in and out.

I'm surprised. What part couldn't you get used to? I can't wear soft lenses anymore so my optometrist switched me to hard ones about two weeks ago and I'm thinking of just starting to wear glasses again. They're extremely uncomfortable and they don't seem to get any better over time (I know the usual getting used to them period is about 4-6 weeks but god damn they're awful on the eyes).

To OP: I had problems with them as well at the beginning, it would regularly take me 10-15 minutes to put them in. At some point I just developed a technique that would let me put them in and take them out in a second.
For inserting them in I just put them on the tip of my index finger, then I raise my head a little and pull my eyelid down with my other index finger an place them on the eye (you need to shake off that initial fear of touching your eye). Then I just blink and they fit perfectly and you don't even feel them on the eye (much unlike hard contacts).
For taking them out I just, again, pull down my eyelid with one index finger and then just grab the contact lens between my index finger and thumb with the other hand and do it like in this image. Again you need to shake off that fear of touching your eye. You could also use this to take them out. You just navigate it to the eye and it suctions to it and you just pull it away. You can't even feel it.

DEO3

Here's my thread from four years ago, sound familiar?

Everyone goes through what you're going through I think, I know I certainly did. I remember mornings where I would spend thirty plus minutes trying to get them in, getting so frustrated that I'd be stomping around my house shouting "I'M DONE! I'M FUCKING DONE! FUCK THIS BULLSHIT! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!" - it took me weeks, maybe even months, before I could start getting them in quickly, but like anything that's difficult at first, you'll eventually look back on it, laugh, and wonder how it was ever so difficult for you.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
After years of wearing glasses, I decided to join the glasses-less master race. Except I can't.

My eyes refuse to let me anywhere near them. I literally struggled for hours trying to put one in my right eye (my good one) and just couldn't do it. Whenever I got close, my eyelids would shut regardless of the fingers holding them open. And when I actually do manage to get the contact to touch my eye, I blink and force it out.

I'm really frustrated because glasses just don't look right on me. Contacts are something I really want, but I just can't get over this initial hurdle. And it kills me because mentally, I'm okay with putting something in my eye; my body just won't let me do it.

Any tips, tricks or words of wisdom for me?

Think it took me over an hour to get mine in for the first time. After about a year I could jam an eggbeater in my eye without flinching. You just get used to it, and putting them in or taking them out just becomes automatic (to the point you could do it blind drunk).

That being said, getting lasik was the best thing I ever did. No eye hassle any more.

I'm surprised. What part couldn't you get used to? I can't wear soft lenses anymore so my optometrist switched me to hard ones about two weeks ago and I'm thinking of just starting to wear glasses again. They're extremely uncomfortable and they don't seem to get any better over time (I know the usual getting used to them period is about 4-6 weeks but god damn they're awful on the eyes).

I started off on hard contact lenses and while waiting for a new pair to be made after I lost them I got a free trial of soft lenses. They were so hard to take in and out. They constantly changing shape on my finger, putting in the wrong way and it always took about 5 minutes to get them out of my eye. I've been wearing hard contact lenses for over 10 years so they're second nature to me. I'm able to pop them in and out in less than 30 seconds.

Do stick with them for at least a month. They do take longer to get used to than soft lenses. I remember when I first started wearing them I staggered the amount of time I kept them in. So the first week a few hours each day and each consecutive week I added more hours. Ask your optometrist about eye drops.

kehs

Banned
With great relief.

I'm wearing glasses right now, and it's like I'm watching tv, fucking frames.

Will wear contacts today to encourage OP. Just put them in, first week it took me an hour to get them in.

TomPUH

Best way I found was to ignore your top eyelid, wrestling with it is a waste of time and effort.

1. Stick your head back
  2. With one hand pull your bottom eyelid down and look up
  3. With the other hand place the contact in the area you've exposed by pulling down
  4. You wont see the contact coming as you're looking up
  5. Try to feel the contact stick to your eye
  6. Look down to rest the contact in the middle of your eye
  7. Blink, your eyelids will separate the contact from your finger

It took me weeks of torture before I started doing this.

Forkball

IMG_20140116_154028.jpg

The rest is just practice and training your blink reflex away. Stare forward and push that lens onto your globular mass of gelatinous eyestuff.
This is correct, though the art skills are dubious.

It took me a long time to get used to contacts as well. My optometrist almost snapped at me because she couldn't get them in my eye since I was flinching so much. When I tried to do it by myself, it literally took an hour. The second time about 45 minutes, then 15 minutes, then 3, then one, and now I can put them in without spending a second.

I recommend looking up. That way the contact is in your peripheral vision and you won't focus so much on it. The contact will slide up to your iris if you put it close enough to it. If it feels awkward or it stings, move your contact to the side of your eye, blink a time or two, then push it back to the iris.

Just keep at it OP. Contacts are great. I will never, EVER wear glasses again.

Glass-less master race? Lol.

You've just given yourself to the plebs OP. You better get used to contacts because you're never getting back your glass privileges ever again.

Donos

Beginning is always tricky. But you get used to. Just find a way which works for you. Don't stick to methods from the net/people which don't work for you.

Nowadays i only wear throwaway day lenses for parties/sport. For inserting, i just look into a mirror and put the lens under the pupil on the white of the eye. Because it doesn't get into my sight, i don't need to wink. Then i just roll my eyes up and down, left right a bit till the lens adjusts on the center of the pupil. Then i wink to get air out under the lens.
Whole process takes me 5 seconds. But i need to look into a mirror.

For removing i just shove the lens into the white of the year and then grab it with two fingers.

Ooh dam suck being a new lens user took me 45+min the first time per eye in and out. Just stick with it you will adjust to it. Now it takes like 2~4seconds.

you get used to it. and putting them in inside-out isnt like daggers in your eyes. youll know theyre in the wrong way, but its not that painful.

Some of you use two hands to put the lens in? fucking lol.

haha. seriously. i just use one of these contraptions when i put mine in:

H0ePoq7.jpg

no hands.

leakey

It took me a little while to get used to it. There was a harem of beautiful young women working in the optometrists office on the day I first got mine, so I had to man up and learn to poke my finger in there pretty quick like.

I remember when I first started wearing them I had trouble putting them in almost daily. Now it takes 3 seconds. Just keep trying and try not to think about blinking when you do it. It is always hardest the first time.

SoundLad

KT5vmWq.gif

Ace Ventura doesn't seem to have the problem

Personally, I can't go near my eyes in the slightest! I feel your pain, OP

ced

I've tried contacts every couple of years, and I end up going back to glasses after I run out.

Some mornings they can be so easy, but all it takes for me is that morning where it takes 15 mins to get one in and afterwards your eye is red and irritated.

My eye lids just don't open as wide as my wifes for example, she has no issues with them.

I do not look directly at the lens. By habit, I do it in front of a mirror. I look at my eye in the mirror and that way the lens is out of focus and I can't tell exactly when it is going in. That helped me get over any blink reflex, although I also hold my top lid open with the non-lens hand and the lower kid with the middle finger of my lens hand (lens is on the index finger).

I can do it now without a mirror too and can look at the lens, but that's after having contacts for 15+ years.

The bigger problem for me at first was taking them out - get back to us if that's an issue. It was super frustrating for me. I slide the lens off the center of my eye into my thumb and pinch it off gently.

phaze

Basically what everyone else says. Look away and put the lens in the white part of the eye. I never even lift the upper eyelid,nI just drag down the lower one. Your eyes are obviously not accustomed to it as of now but don't get discouraged, you'll get used to it.

Ayumi

Putting it in can be very difficult at first but you'll get used to it and it only takes a few seconds usually, after a while.

My problem is keeping them on. :<
My left nostril is blocked for some reason which causes my left eye's tear canal to dry up. I don't even notice the contact on my right eye but the left one is so extremely uncomfortable. It's very annoying having to use eyedrops several times every hour and it doesn't help that much. I'm using extra moist contacts for astigmatism.

Anyone else have the same issue?

They usually help you with it, the place you buy them the first time. I sucked at first too, but with the help and tips from them, it worked out.

Agreed.

Been wearing contacts for about 15 years, it's like second nature now. It does take some time getting used to, unless you routinely poke yourself in the eye.

Practice and patience. Don't be afraid to bust out the glasses if you have trouble at first.

Seanspeed

Banned
Putting it in can be very difficult at first but you'll get used to it and it only takes a few seconds usually, after a while.

My left nostril is blocked for some reason which causes my left eye's tear canal to dry up. I don't even notice the contact on my right eye but the left one is so extremely uncomfortable. It's very annoying having to use eyedrops several times every hour and it doesn't help that much. I'm using extra moist contacts for astigmatism.

Kind of. Not as bad as you by what it sounds like. I have dry eyes and have to use eyedrops at *least* once during an 6-8+ hour period of wearing them or else they get extremely uncomfortable and bloodshot red.

Never realize dry nostils could be a cause of this.....

Also, I cant wear contacts for long periods of time. Like, with my 2 week pairs, I can usually wear them up to the 2 weeks and that's about it. Usually by the end, they start to become quite a hassle(agitated) and need to be replaced, no matter how well I take care of them. I wish I could get 4 weeks out of them like you guys. Would save me a good amount of money.

Dougald

I also wear the hydrogel astigmatism contacts, and I need to use eyedrops probably every couple of hours. It's a lot better than when I first started wearing them, though

My biggest problem is they don't make a lens that exactly matches the astigmatism in my left eye, so the damn thing rotates slightly every half hour. Makes screen work a bit annoying

Chococat

Contact on index finger. Pull lower lid down with middle finger. Look towards bridge of my nose. Insert contact. Close eye lids for a brief second to help seal it to the eye. Open and done. The key here is you don't have to put it directly over iris and pupil. They are shaped to naturally reposition themselves over the iris. This works for weighted contacts too.

To get over the squeamishness of touching the eye, practice (with clean hands) touching the white part of your eye in the lower corner. Once you get use to the sensation, do it watching yourself in a mirror.

Warning- the first week or two you will likely be able to "feel" the contact setting on your eye. This is normal. As long as there is no pain, and no excessive irritation, you'll be fine. If it bugs you, try wear the contact for a few hours at first, and gradually increase the time over a week or two.

Shiina

The rest is just practice and training your blink reflex away. Stare forward and push that lens onto your globular mass of gelatinous eyestuff.

From personal experience this is awful advice. This is exactly the way most optometrists recommend doing it but it's a pretty difficult and awkward way of doing it, for me anyway. Tilting your head backwards slightly basically eliminates the need to also push the upper eyelid up. That means you have one hand free and don't need to balance the lens while at the same time trying to pull down the eyelid. After a while you'll be able to insert it from any position, even without tilting the head back.

I started off on hard contact lenses and while waiting for a new pair to be made after I lost them I got a free trial of soft lenses. They were so hard to take in and out. They constantly changing shape on my finger, putting in the wrong way and it always took about 5 minutes to get them out of my eye. I've been wearing hard contact lenses for over 10 years so they're second nature to me. I'm able to pop them in and out in less than 30 seconds.

Do stick with them for at least a month. They do take longer to get used to than soft lenses. I remember when I first started wearing them I staggered the amount of time I kept them in. So the first week a few hours each day and each consecutive week I added more hours. Ask your optometrist about eye drops.

I just had another appointment actually and she said she'd increase the size slightly. Maybe the smallness of the hard lenses is what's causing the most discomfort for me. Hard contacts are about half the size of soft ones for those that don't know.

On a related note I actually don't like how easy they are to remove and how easy they can get out of position and lost on the cornea. I can hardly touch my eyes without fearing for them moving out of position.

Joohanh

I can't understand people who want to get rid of glasses by using contact lenses. I mean, glasses are fucking amazing! I'd wear them anywhere if I could.

Of course there's stuff that I need contact lenses for too like boxing or swimming, but man, do I miss the good ol' glasses even then.

On a related note I actually don't like how easy they are to remove and how easy they can get out of position and lost on the cornea. I can hardly touch my eyes without fearing for them moving out of position.

Yeah I have the same problem. Be careful if your eyes are dry I've had the lenses pop out a few times when my eye is dry and I've blinked.

I didn't realize so many people had problems with contacts. When I first got them (I think I was 16 or 17) I struggled for about 15 minutes at the optometrist's when they were teaching me to put them in. The assistant started getting mad at me and asked me if I really wanted to have contacts.

You'll get the hang of it soon. It's not really that hard and contacts are so worth it.

One thing I found to be helpful is to always make sure that the finger you use to put the contact in is completely dry, otherwise the contact will stick to your finger. Rub your fingertip against your other forearm to dry it off before putting the contact on it.

Rad-

I can't understand people who want to get rid of glasses by using contact lenses. I mean, glasses are fucking amazing! I'd wear them anywhere if I could.

Of course there's stuff that I need contact lenses for too like boxing or swimming, but man, do I miss the good ol' glasses even then.

Some people look good with glasses, some don't.

Stinky

Once you're used to wearing them contact lenses are awesome. They aren't hard to put in either, if I can do it every morning in my tired stupor anyone can.

Best advice I can give you is that you're aiming for where you see out of, so just look directly at the lenses as you place it in. Sounds dumb but it isn't like clipping a nose
hair, you know exactly where your eye is because you see out of it.

Then blink and if still not in right then massage your eyelids.. This will either make the lenses fall off if you put it in really wrong or it will fix it up.

Dougald

I only wear mine because I look good in them.. I can't stand the constant shitty halos at night, the cleaning, getting rain/steam on the lenses, and jamming them into my motorcycle helmet every time I go out (and then they steam up inside the helmet in winter). Contacts are much better.

The only advantage I get from glasses is my eyes don't get so tired. Also, I thought you weren't supposed to wear them while swimming?

AGoodODST

It's just something you get used to, I struggled for ages at first, using a method the opticians suggested involving just one hand (sort of like that drawing actually). Couldn't do it for shit.

Eventually just started using my right index finger and thumb to hold the lids open then my left index finger to pop the lenses in. I found it much easier this way. I don't even think about it now it's so easy and natural.

Joohanh

I. Also, I thought you weren't supposed to wear them while swimming?

I guess if you're not using goggles, contacts just come off while under water.

+ I think that anyone can look good w/ glasses, it's just the matter of finding a frame that fits your face. For example, people with round faces usually look quite good with thick, edgy frames. While a sharp jawline looks pretty good with a round textured frame.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Something that helps me is to see up when putting it, that way your eye doesn't react to your fingwr that much.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I use acuvue oasis and leave them in for 2-3 weeks. Fantastic contacts. I have been doing this for years and my eye doctor exam last week yet again confirmed there is no infection of sign of unhealthy eyes.

You get to the point where you can take your contacts in and out in a completely pitch black room. When you put them in you will feel a certain stick. Thats when you know to softly let it go and gently close your eyelid.

Ayumi

Kind of. Not as bad as you by what it sounds like. I have dry eyes and have to use eyedrops at *least* once during an 6-8+ hour period of wearing them or else they get extremely uncomfortable and bloodshot red.

Never realize dry nostils could be a cause of this.....

Also, I cant wear contacts for long periods of time. Like, with my 2 week pairs, I can usually wear them up to the 2 weeks and that's about it. Usually by the end, they start to become quite a hassle(agitated) and need to be replaced, no matter how well I take care of them. I wish I could get 4 weeks out of them like you guys. Would save me a good amount of money.

6-8 hours doesn't seem bad at all! I would kill for that kind of time before it starts annoying me. It is true, dry nostrils or sinus problems (apparently my upper sinus is "permanently swollen" or something). Anyway, I heard that you're not supposed to wear daily contact for more than 12 hours? Have you ever tried daily contacts, btw? You can probably find ones that you can wear for more than 12 hours. They should be better for you than those 4 week ones, I can imagine.

I also wear the hydrogel astigmatism contacts, and I need to use eyedrops probably every couple of hours. It's a lot better than when I first started wearing them, though

My biggest problem is they don't make a lens that exactly matches the astigmatism in my left eye, so the damn thing rotates slightly every half hour. Makes screen work a bit annoying

Ohh, god. I know what you mean! My eyes have a different curve too, which probably isn't helping my issue. Do you know of any other remedy than eyedrops? I find myself ditching my contacts a lot and mostly go outside with glasses on (whenever I leave the house), because it's so much more comfortable. I don't really get much time to get used to them since I only wear contacts a few times a month now. Do you think it's actually possible that your curvy eye gets used to this kind of thing? I just wish I didn't notice that well.. once you become aware of an uncomfortable contact lens, you're screwed. lol

kiguel182

If you can't even put them in the first time then I think you are better to go with glasses.

The first time I used contacts they used to make my eyes itchy so I ditched them and went back to glasses.

A couple months ago I decided to try daily lenses (the other were monthly) and the diference is amazing. Almost no itch (except when I leave them on for like 12 hours) and feel really fresh when I put them in the morning.

The whole "being on the wrong side thing" is a minor issue since when I take them they are always the right side. When they are wrong they just jump out of the eye so I try again.

That pretty much sums my experience.

ito007

You'll get used to it. My advice is to remember to blink several times after putting it on. Doing so will correct it's position and make it more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom