• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Content that never made it into games

sarcoa

I'm not talking about content that was, in some vague way, left in the game - I'm more curious about concepts or mechanics that were completely cut from a final release. Hearing Ryan O'Donnell on Rebel FM's Game Club talk about the wealth of content, in both narrative and concept, that never made it into Half Life 2 was something I found intriguing. Likewise, all the fat cut from Sonic games, be it the extra levels in Sonic 2, where the hell Chaotix came from, or all the shit in the instruction book for Sonic 2006 but not actually in Sonic 2006, is endlessly fascinating to me. I applaud Insomniac for satisfying this curiosity with A Crack in Time's Insomniac Moon, and I know some of the God of War games have extra features where they talk about stuff that never made it in, but what else is out there? What other content never made it off the drawing board for games we love? Enlighten me, GAF!

(apologies if this is a repost. I searched and didn't find anything this specific)

sarcoa

Jaded Alyx said:
90% of the original Twilight Princess.
That's the kind of stuff I'm really interested in. Is that just an aimless figure thrown around, or is there significant evidence toward what exactly was cut out or reworked?

Talon

Matsuno's original plans for FFXII.

You know, with Basch as the lead and no Vaan. Actually, I didn't think Vaan and Penelo were that bad, but the game would have been improved with Basch as the lead.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
sarcoa said:
some of the God of War games have extra features where they talk about stuff that never made it in

I think it was GoW 1 that had Jaffe talking about how they initially wanted to design the cyclops with a dick, but Sony refused to let them do it :lol

Koren

Talon- said:
Matsuno's original plans for FFXII.

You know, with Basch as the lead and no Vaan. Actually, I didn't think Vaan and Penelo were that bad, but the game would have been improved with Basch as the lead.
Anotehr at S-E, a big part of Seiken Densetsu has been cut (admittely due to cart size restrictions)

EXGN

unused1.jpg

unused10.jpg

unusedcolossus04.jpg

unused4.jpg

unused22.jpg

sarcoa said:
That's the kind of stuff I'm really interested in. Is that just an aimless figure thrown around, or is there significant evidence toward what exactly was cut out or reworked?

From the original reveal to the final product, things I can think of that were cut are like wildlife, the huge forest area and large scale horse back battles.

sarcoa said:
I'm exaggerating, but re-watch the original trailer and see how much of it never made it into the final game.

Oh, just remembered.

Okami had an entire system of befriending people or making them hating you. I remember a trailer where Ammy was barking outside of a house in the middle of the night and making the person inside progressively more upset until they finally threw something at her.

Shows a bit of it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUm07enrs4

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm trying to find an article to back it up, but I'm pretty sure Aonuma once said that two dungeons were half finished for Zelda: The Wind Waker but scrapped due to lack of time (?).

These would have brought the dungeon count up to the normal Zelda total, IIRC. It always made me suspect the dreaded Triforce hunt and the boss gauntlet at the end of the game were quickly thrown together to extend the length of the game due to this issue.

Johnas

Kraid was initially supposed to be in Metroid Prime as a boss in the Phazon Mines, but was taken out of the game due to time constraints.

I hope he appears in Other M.

Maybe it was in Nintendo Power back in the day, but some magazine had an image of a level in Super Star Wars that took place in the garbage area. I was always intrigued. I really liked that game.

EXGN

Oh, almost forgot, significant portions of MGS2 were cut, according to the design document. Snake and Raiden were both supposed to be playable, Snake was for series vets, while Raiden was for new players. There were also bosses cut, like China Man, who had a dragon tatoo that came to life or something.

O.DOGG

I think that Planescape: Torment was supposed to have three different endings where only one was kept in the final version - I'd love to know more about those.

grap3fruitman said:
Recognize this?

legend-of-zelda-twlight-princess-20050816014851921_640w.jpg

It's the ghost town in the final game.

More stuff that never made it:

jfaet0.jpg

jpynx3.jpg

k47zps.jpg

I'm unsure if this made it into the game, it's been so long since I've played it:

311madf.jpg

2rq20z7.jpg

2d0jqc7.jpg

2lc4c94.jpg

EXGN said:
Oh, almost forgot, significant portions of MGS2 were cut, according to the design document. Snake and Raiden were both supposed to be playable, Snake was for series vets, while Raiden was for new players. There were also bosses cut, like China Man, who had a dragon tatoo that came to life or something.

China Man and another boss was merged into Vamp. Wasn't there also a shark segment that was being discussed? I think Kojima talked about it in the mGS2 documentary, but I don't remember if it ever made it past him thinking about it.

Johnas

That part in the second trailer for TP that shows Gohma chasing Link really looked cool. Can't believe they cut that.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
A lot of content in MGS2, you can see the original plan on this PDF

Some tidbits:

- The Ninja on the Plant Chapter was supposed to be a female robot that would change her voice & personality based on whoever was closer (Snake->Meryl, Otacon->Sniper Wolf)
- The player would have been given the choice of saving either Emma or the President, and Snake would rescue the remaining one.
- Johnny Sasaki was intented to be killed after making contact with Raiden and giving him a keycard.
- The original Codec staff of Raiden where intented to be more people (everyone being an AI), with similar roles of the MGS1 crew. Most of them were references to the New York book series "City of Glass", and later where mixed with the main ones.

fernoca

More like as Downloadable Content...

2u4ixsk.jpg

Quan Chi along with Harley Quinn; were planned to be the first 2 characters to be released as DLC for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. Both were nearly ready; but then the MK team was sold to Warner Bros. Pics of Harley hasn't been released yet...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
grap3fruitman said:
Recognize this?

legend-of-zelda-twlight-princess-20050816014851921_640w.jpg

It's the ghost town in the final game.
Er, isn't that just Hyrule Castle Town? It looks different in the final game but I'm 100% sure that's what it looked like at one point

Here's a collection of Nintendo content that was at time being reworked or completely scrapped ( *Kirby's Air Ride ).

Nintendo 64: B-Roll #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOfyzZ8saU
Nintendo 64: B-Roll #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocVwX8jX_U
N641.jpg

*INTERESTING TIDBITS: In the clip during "Super Mario Kart R" intro title you'll hear a tune unheard of in the final production of "Super Mario Kart 64". Be sure to crank the volume enough to hear the intro tune. Also witness a totally beta Kirby's Air Ride" that was eventually cancelled and moved to the Gamecube.

Zenith

Banned
Lyonaz said:
Forget Resident Evil 5 Wii Edition, make this please. They don't even have to use Leon, just make a new character, some hot female FBI agent or something and call it RE Gaiden!

They are. Haven't you seen the RE5 director's cut pics?

dave_d

Koren said:
Anotehr at S-E, a big part of Seiken Densetsu has been cut (admittely due to cart size restrictions)

Apparently that happened when it got switched from CD-Rom to cart. Oh also alot of the translation got cut in the US version. (Which would explain why I could never make hide nor hair out of the plot when I played it.) Makes you wish they'd do a director's cut version for the DS or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_mana#Development

Lyonaz

Zenith said:
They are. Haven't you seen the RE5 director's cut pics?

Yeah but the DC extra/DLC that you can finish within 1-2 hours, is just not the same as a full game. =(

I miss old school Resident Evils.

Roxas

The whole Aeris ghost/having dialogue after she died thing etc etc

Did they plan on her being brought back to life?

Roxas said:
The whole Aeris ghost/having dialogue after she died thing etc etc

Did they plan on her being brought back to life?

Wait, what?
Did something happen to Aeris that I'm unaware of? I haven't beaten FF7 yet.

Top Bottom