• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 - Nintendo Contra Rogue Corps is coming to Switch!

JunkerWoland

Jun 29, 2016
After watching the interview footage, I'm even less certain about this game.

Maybe missions will have different base setups, but from what was shown, the timer and lack of end-stage boss isn't what I'm looking for in a Contra game. I hope the single player doesn't exist largely to give players a jump on upgrading characters for online PVP.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The version in that video is the PS4 version. Maybe that’s why.
Oh, this is coming to PS4? I'll definitely get that version instead of the Switch one (like I was originally planning).
  • Local Couch Co-Op modes with up to four players on all platforms**
**Switch players can play local wireless multiplayer. Each player is required to have a system and game.

Switch, ya dun goofed.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
The ranking/rewards at the end of the stage reminds me of Survive. I tried getting confirmation on the engine.

I had hoped the series would go for more of a Gears of War aesthetic (especially after I saw how well Konami implemented melee into Metal Gear Survive) cause I think Contra can pick up where gears 1 & 2 left off.

I get deadnation feels from this, which isn’t bad. Hopefully this is fun.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
does this play like a twin stick shooter? seems like a static camera w twin stick controls. almost more like a Smash TV style?

the level looks very dull. this isn't very inspiring. the original games were eye catching, explosive, etc.

Last edited:

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
does this play like a twin stick shooter? seems like a static camera w twin stick controls. almost more like a Smash TV style?

the level looks very dull. this isn't very inspiring. the original games were eye catching, explosive, etc.
It’s a twin stick shooter. Apparently the later levels are crazy. I’ll reserve my opinion because early levels/tutorials are always more vanilla than the rest of the game.

DT MEDIA

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
Bottom Line: As long as the gameplay is fast and furious and there are cool surprises, it should be a fun videogame. There are some questions that need to be resolved, however. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Upside: Reminds me of an early Sega Dreamcast game called Expendable, which was a lot of fun. I also like the weirdness of the characters like the Panda and the promise of some really intense boss fights. 4P multiplayer is also promising. Also, in an age of overly cautious remakes and revivals, give credit to Konami for trying to bring Contra into 3D. The series has struggled outside of its 2D roots.

Downside: It sure doesn't look like Contra to me, unless you remember that one that was released on Saturn & Playstation to a rather cool reception. This feels more like a lot of the twin-stick shoot-em-ups released on iOS. Or, to put it less kindly, it looks like a generic project with the Contra name slapped onto it.

JCK75

Apr 19, 2018
I love the collection that dropped, but I find it very hard to get excited for this.. it just doesn't even mildly resemble Contra.
Give me a 2.5D sidescroller that feels like the first game in theme.

GrayFoxPL

Mar 26, 2007
Poland
Digital Foundry impressions are not great either.

Also Unity. Imo it looks like PS3/360 gen game at best.

JunkerWoland

Jun 29, 2016
According to Digital Foundry (timestamped YouTube), the game is being created by a Japanese team, using the Unity engine; they're also only targeting 30fps.

Certain comments in the video almost makes me wonder, if this wasn't originally a different game that's since been repurposed into a Contra title.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Tim Gettys from Kinda Funny said it was fun but ugly. Thankfully , the graphics aren’t final.

Makes me wonder if Konami is abandoning the FOX Engine. Really weird that they’re not using it here but using it for PES.

Last edited: