• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

|OT| Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
Main story was great although I feel a little bit like they've ended it safe to make room for endgame (or, as they call it, endless grind ;)) and for the expansions. I'm definitely getting them, didn't expect so many Alan Wake mentions in the game.

Anyway platinum was pretty easy, once I defeated Tomassi (who was easier for me to beat than Mold1) it was only about cleanup.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
I just completed the PUNCH CARD mission- and have to say this game is great!
I like fuckin’ up this Hiss

I don’t know how close to the end I am, but can’t wait to see how it ends

8.5 out of 10 for me so far. I’d give it a 9 if the girl was attractive just for the simple fact that it would be nice and pleasing to look at. Face it; looks matter.

When I play as a male character, I like that he’s cool looking or badass. And the last few games using a male protagonist had typical attractive men
(Days Gone. Last of Us. Yakuza 0. Bioshock. ..etc) My god, even the female that you run around with in Bioshock Infinite is even stereotypically good looking. Just wonder why Jesse in Control couldn’t be a little cuter? You’re gonna spend three years building a game and rendering a female all day every day, don’t you as a designer want to enjoy looking at what you’re working on?

Anyway, can’t wait to see how it ends

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Man! This game is fun!

I don’t know how close to the end I am but I’m halfway through clearing The Hedron Chamber. So probably close.

This game is the right amount of difficulty at the right spots.

By the way, was (is) there difficulty setting? I just turned it on and played. I didn’t adjust the difficulty (if there was or wasn’t any) I didn’t look

9 out of 10
(9.5 if the lead ya play as [Jesse] wasn’t so ugly)

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
Finally got around to playing this game and while I agree that its a great game and is easily the longest game Remedy has ever made. I have to admit that I find some of the boss battles to be incredibly tedious and frustrating. The fridge and flamingo fight was one of the worst fights I have done in a game in years. I expect I will get the platinum trophy before too much longer, but I doubt that I will be returning any time soon.

Anyway, I hope the remaining fights aren't too frustrating from here on out.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Finally got around to playing this game and while I agree that its a great game and is easily the longest game Remedy has ever made. I have to admit that I find some of the boss battles to be incredibly tedious and frustrating. The fridge and flamingo fight was one of the worst fights I have done in a game in years. I expect I will get the platinum trophy before too much longer, but I doubt that I will be returning any time soon.

Anyway, I hope the remaining fights aren't too frustrating from here on out.
Oh really?
For some reason those were easy for me and I’m having trouble with the big mold plant creature down in the pit in the OLD GROWTH side mission

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
Oh really?
For some reason those were easy for me and I’m having trouble with the big mold plant creature down in the pit in the OLD GROWTH side mission
I have never been good at shoot and jump to avoid falling type fights. The fridge fight wouldn't have been so bad if not for the final phase where all it does is just spam the ground smash.

Reactions: Eiknarf

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Oh really?
Throw the spore mold boulders on the ceiling at it and it goes down easy. They do extra damage, shouldn't take that many throws if you got the dmg maxed out.

I have never been good at shoot and jump to avoid falling type fights. The fridge fight wouldn't have been so bad if not for the final phase where all it does is just spam the ground smash.
I fell through the holes in that stupid ground smash so many freaking times........ It's an easy fight other than that though.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Throw the spore mold boulders on the ceiling at it and it goes down easy. They do extra damage, shouldn't take that many throws if you got the dmg maxed out.

I fell through the holes in that stupid ground smash so many freaking times........ It's an easy fight other than that though.
Yeah
I finally beat that mold thing

But I have a side question
Why do I keep reading that the game is only 10 hours?

I’ve been playing like 23 hours doing everything (the side missions too)
- and I find you can’t beat some of the main mission levels without upgrading via the side missions.

Brumfieldhm

Jun 11, 2014
There were so many incredible aspects to this game, but it never truly conquered its own dubiously convoluted concepts. The self-narration became grating exposition by the last third of the game, and I felt the ending truly disappointed. The gameplay, atmosphere, environment destruction, art design were all some of the most fabulous things I've experienced the past couple of years.
I think next time, show restraint in the narrative please Remedy, and please enough with the DSLR shot live-action integration! It diminishes the graphics of your engine, whilst simultaneously revealing limitations of your live-action directing skills.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Gonna drop my score another point soon.

It already dropped from a 10 to a 9.5 because of the protagonist’s look. Now it’s about to drop a full point to an 8.5 due to the INSTANT JUMP in difficulty for two missions that got too frustratingly difficult

How many times do I have to replay the “Defeat Hiss Corrupted Mr. Tommasi” mission and/or the “Polaris” mission!?!

What kind of game has such a drastic JUMP in difficulty?!

No other parts of the game were this difficult. Every part of this game got slowly and naturally more difficult the way one would assume

Jump to these two missions and they’re almost impossible

I’ve purposely done every side mission to upgrade my weapons as best as I can

I hate when fun turns into frustrating. That is not why I buy games