• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m confused
Every user here (non professional critic) seems to love this game

But when ya look at the user reviews on Metacritic, it’s only getting a 6.8 out of ten. What gives ?

jXez6U0.jpg

xrnzaaas

I’m confused

But when ya look at the user reviews on Metacritic, it’s only getting a 6.8 out of ten. What gives ?

jXez6U0.jpg
PC version gets hate for EGS, console versions get hate for very poor base consoles performance. And base PS4's are still in the majority...

Also it's not anything new that most journalists don't mention the performance in their reviews or at least don't treat it like a serious issue.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I really hope it doesn’t sell worse then Quantum Break did (it was a good game,) but by all metrics it looks like the extra platforms didn’t help.

Remedy might be in some shit here.

GymWolf

Performance on pc are fucking awful, like quantum awful...

Remedy really need to get his shit together.

The game itself is fucking good tho, so much better than quantum in every way possible except performance.

Also a neat little video with ps4 pro performance

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I’m confused

jXez6U0.jpg
Epic games store and the Xbox faithful are a bit annoyed with Remedy courting the PS4 crowd.
I wouldn't worry too much, signs point to something big happening with them....

Playing on PS4 pro.

Quite liking it so far. Very slick presentation. Interesting visuals.. And the sound design is fantastic so far. Really helps set the mood.

Pro performance is spotty for sure, but it isn't anything we haven't seen before. My teenager watched me play the first hour or so, and even she commented on the "SCP-ness" of the narrative/setting.
Then we made jokes about SCPenis for half an hour. Good times were had by all.

Mista

Banned
Its been a very long time since I had back to back intense boss fights like I had with Control in a matter of 5 minutes between two fights! Fought Former and straight after it The Anchor. Damn I felt my heart beats in my ass!

Eiknarf

Banned
Epic games store and the Xbox faithful are a bit annoyed with Remedy courting the PS4 crowd.
I wouldn't worry too much, signs point to something big happening with them....
Wasn’t that previous Remedy game (Quantum Break) a Microsoft exclusive, though? Wouldn’t Xbox fans love Remedy?

Ristifer

PC version gets hate for EGS, console versions get hate for very poor base consoles performance. And base PS4's are still in the majority...

Also it's not anything new that most journalists don't mention the performance in their reviews or at least don't treat it like a serious issue.
I haven't watched all the reviews so as to not spoil myself too much. So the performance on both base consoles is poor? Or is it just poor on the X?

xrnzaaas

I haven't watched all the reviews so as to not spoil myself too much. So the performance on both base consoles is poor? Or is it just poor on the X?
It's really bad on base models (drops to 10fps or less), I don't know about the XONEX, but it does have performance issues on the PS4 Pro. They're just less severe. The CPU is probably the main problem and PS4 Pro doesn't have a better unit than base PS4.

Ristifer

It's really bad on base models (drops to 10fps or less), I don't know about the XONEX, but it does have performance issues on the PS4 Pro. They're just less severe. The CPU is probably the main problem and PS4 Pro doesn't have a better unit than base PS4.
Ahh okay, thanks. I'll probably just wait it out for now then. Still want to play it, but I'd rather it be a smoother experience overall.

Mista

Banned
I haven't run into any performance issues yet on the X after the first 1.5 hours.
You’ll when you get in a crowded place with bunch of enemies. I hope not though but it’ll unfortunately happen

Everytime I open the damn map the game acts weird

JORMBO

Darkness no more
You’ll when you get in a crowded place with bunch of enemies. I hope not though but it’ll unfortunately happen

Everytime I open the damn map the game acts weird

I do get about 2 seconds of stutter when closing out of the map. That's the only weird thing I've seen so far.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i really want to play this game :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
i really don't want to have to use EGS :messenger_angry::messenger_angry:
i really don't want to play it on console 🤮🤮

help me steam, you are my only hope.

r'uh r'oh:

DT4kzk0.jpg

I really don't want to let Epic win but it really does seem like the best option :pie_lcry::pie_lcry:

Last edited:

bryo4321

I’m about 4 levels in. With ray tracing on but the indirect shadows RT off (it causes concrete walls to shimmer in a weird way) I’m barely breaking 60fps with a 2080ti and ryzen 3900x.
That said, this game blows quantum break away. I’m usually the type to skip cutscenes but I love how bizarre and intense the atmosphere is in this. If you like weird Steven king style stuff mixed with government conspiracy theories and brutalist architecture, this is your game.

HotPocket69

Banned
The only times performance on the Pro has been noticeably questionable for me is when I'm unpausing the game or getting out of the mod/weapon menu. It stutters bad for a second or two like its loading something in. Who knows. I haven't really noticed anything bad during combat, I dunno, maybe because my mind is more focused on shooting fools and throwing concrete blocks at their faces?

Reposting as this was a combat situation I was in last night. And it looks pretty, pretty smooth.

Where is everyone at in the story? Im around 12 hours in and I just got to the Research area (Chapter 4) having done every sidequest so far and gone back to previous areas to open up the level 2 and 3 keycard doors.

There's two spots in Maintenance that Im assuming I need Levitate and story progression to access. There's a huge area next to the Furnace and then there's all those stone walls that open up in Central Processing across from the training area that lead to some massive inner chasm. Im guessing it leads to the Quarry.

Fuckin LOVING THIS

The Furnace is simply gorgeous

control.jpg

control2.jpg

control3.jpg

control4.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How's the gunplay, Mista Mista ? If I didn't care about the story and just wanted a good, atmospheric third-person romp, is it still a good game? Asking because previous Remedy titles have ranged from excellent gameplay to mediocre.

Last edited:
i really want to play this game :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
i really don't want to have to use EGS :messenger_angry::messenger_angry:
i really don't want to play it on console 🤮🤮

help me steam, you are my only hope.

r'uh r'oh:

DT4kzk0.jpg

I really don't want to let Epic win but it really does seem like the best option :pie_lcry::pie_lcry:
At this point is Steam's fault,you can't blame smaller developers going Epic when they can get more money.

Fry

It’s finally here

Worrisome.

I'm seeing a lot of commentaries about the PS4 performance.
I have the Slim version. The dude says it's the worst game he's ever played
on his PRO (performance-wise).
I wonder how my Slim will cope...

The question is: Can they fix it with patches, or is the game too much for this generation consoles?

Eiknarf

Banned
Man! The way you’re all describing this game now makes me put it at the top of my list to get next.

Days Gone was going to be next but this just cut in front of it thanks to you all

Days Gone
(Metacritic Pro Critics Score = 72)
(Metacritic User Score = 81)
(Open Critic = 71)

Control
(Metacritic Pro Critics Score = 81)
(Metacritic User Score = 74)
(Open Critic = 84)

HotPocket69

Banned
Based strictly on my friends list, I’m a little concerned for this game. Usually for any release there are at least 4-5 people playing a new title. This game has 1.

I’ve never seen any game on my friends list be only 1 person ever.

Get more friends?

5 on my list are playing

Hudo

So, can I ask (no spoilers needed) just how crazy and fucked up the game gets with its anomalies and the stuff that is contained by the Bureau? I was kinda hoping that it might get crazy as the SCP stuff but from what I have seen, it looks far tamer than that.

Mista

Banned
So, can I ask (no spoilers needed) just how crazy and fucked up the game gets with its anomalies and the stuff that is contained by the Bureau? I was kinda hoping that it might get crazy as the SCP stuff but from what I have seen, it looks far tamer than that.
It’ll keep fucking your mind from start till end and after

Shai-Tan

Banned
How good is the combat? I never finished Quantum Break because I disliked the combat. Combat here is different/better/streamlined? The most annoying part of QB combat was the multiple ability cooldowns and those aren't in this?

HotPocket69

Banned
How good is the combat? I never finished Quantum Break because I disliked the combat. Combat here is different/better/streamlined? The most annoying part of QB combat was the multiple ability cooldowns and those aren't in this?

The best thing about Remedy games is the combat and gunplay. The fuck is wrong with you son.

Well, I've only gotten two weapon forms and the base telekinetic ability. Cool down on telekinesis is really quick, like a second or two quick. I feel like the combat is always solid in Remedy titles.

It's getting better/weirder the further you go.

HotPocket69

Banned
Well, I've only gotten two weapon forms and the base telekinetic ability. Cool down on telekinesis is really quick, like a second or two quick. I feel like the combat is always solid in Remedy titles.

It's getting better/weirder the further you go.

Eventually you’ll find mods that can quicken the cooldown even more

This game really deserves attention. We’re so fucking lucky to be able to get games like this nowadays. Solid single player third person adventure shooters with no bullshit attached.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The best thing about Remedy games is the combat and gunplay. The fuck is wrong with you son.

I felt that way about Max Payne, but with Quantum Break juggling 3-4 cooldowns was just not fun to me. From what I'm reading this game is more simple, was just looking for confirmation.

Top Bottom