• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

To unlock the console exclusive content on PC hex edit the exe:
Control_DX11/DX12.exe:
11D4D6: 74 43 -> 90 90
11D4DC: 74 3D -> 90 90

This unlocks:
Tactical_Response_Gear (unlocks Urban Response outfit)
Astral_Dive_Suit (unlocks Astral Dive Suit outfit)
Exclusive_Side_Mission_Isolation (unlocks Yoshimi Tokui/Hideo Kojima PS4-exclusive side mission)
Not sure if there is more that's all i found so far.

Exentryk

Game looks great!

QCQWlYB.jpg

92g3emn.jpg

pPRG4li.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
I like the game but is the map being awful an intentional design decision lol?? :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure:

What's wrong with it?

It shows you where you are, all the areas are clearly marked and you can move around while the map overlay is up.

I greatly prefer it to there being a constant minimap or quest markers being shoved in your face.

It's a game that promotes and rewards exploration.

Ivory Blood

What's wrong with it?

It shows you where you are, all the areas are clearly marked and you can move around while the map overlay is up.

I greatly prefer it to there being a constant minimap or quest markers being shoved in your face.

The in-game markers, arrows and signs are more clear on where you are and where to go than that map though, lol.

It's alright, but I myself didn't use it that much for example. Feel like it was sorta tacked on after they designed the levels already.

GHG

Gold Member
The in-game markers, arrows and signs are more clear on where you are and where to go than that map though, lol.

It's alright, but I myself didn't use it that much for example. Feel like it was sorta tacked on after they designed the levels already.

Honestly I think the map is only meant to be used in last resort scenarios.

Like you said, the signs in the building are clear enough.

Mista

Banned
What's wrong with it?

Good map when it actually loads. Plenty of items I open the map and it’s just names without any design

nowhat

Good map when it actually loads. Plenty of items I open the map and it’s just names without any design
Yeah, I've noticed it can take quite a while for the actual map to load. It's one thing to have performance issues with gameplay, but to have performance issues with a fucking map is certainly new.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yeah, I've noticed it can take quite a while for the actual map to load. It's one thing to have performance issues with gameplay, but to have performance issues with a fucking map is certainly new.
It's definitely not the first game with issues like this, from the top of my head I can name some Assassin's Creed games having problems with slow / lagging maps.

nowhat

It's definitely not the first game with issues like this, from the top of my head I can name some Assassin's Creed games having problems with slow / lagging maps.
The thing is though, something like Asscreed will have a map filled to the brim with markers and generally have much more detail. The Control map is very, very simple, so it's quite inexcusable.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is though, something like Asscreed will have a map filled to the brim with markers and generally have much more detail. The Control map is very, very simple, so it's quite inexcusable.

It's pretty weird, and it's random too. When I'm at the fast travel screen, some maps load up, while others might never load.

GymWolf

The map is not laggy on pc, is just a shitty confusing map :ROFLMAO:

Lucky for remedy the game itself is great, not max payne great, but much better than quantum and alan wake.

The map is definitely shit, I've been telling myself it was designed that way purposely to reflect the shifting nature of the House.

I got to the quarry last night, game keeps ramping up! I'd say it's Remedy's best title to date, but this story/setting are also planted firmly in my wheelhouse. Really the only thing holding it back are the terrible performance issues. I'll probably rebuy it again on PC when the sales hit. I got the pro version for the dlc HOPING that the game could maintain a 30fps experience. I'm guessing my Skylake and 1080gtx will give me much better performance.

Ivory Blood

The map is definitely shit, I've been telling myself it was designed that way purposely to reflect the shifting nature of the House.

I got to the quarry last night, game keeps ramping up! I'd say it's Remedy's best title to date, but this story/setting are also planted firmly in my wheelhouse. Really the only thing holding it back are the terrible performance issues. I'll probably rebuy it again on PC when the sales hit. I got the pro version for the dlc HOPING that the game could maintain a 30fps experience. I'm guessing my Skylake and 1080gtx will give me much better performance.
I'm on 1070ti and it's smooth as butter. And yeah, I'll agree that this is the best mix of gameplay with Remedy storytelling to date.

GHG

Gold Member
The map overlay is a texture, it exhibits the same issues that other detailed textures (posters for example) do on consoles - it can take a while to load fully.

My god when you max out launch it becomes so fun to use. This is the best non-superhero superhero game out there. You literally feel like a wrecking ball, especially with the dynamic lighting and destruction.

I agree. Max Payne was amazing and so was the intro of bullet time, but the array of telekinetic abilities in Control is much cooler.

That, and I prefer crazy scifi stuff to the noir detective narrative.

GymWolf

I LOVE Max Payne, but in gameplay department Control beats it fair and square.
Yeah it's probably a matter of taste, bullet time shoot dodge or superpower...

But i don't know, max payne aim and movement system is more "pure tps" for me, control is half shooting and half power and it doesn't have that aim freedom and total control, i don't know how to explain myself lol.

Both great gameplay tho.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there a superleap ability at some point? There’s a box high up on a ledge right near one of the control points and I don’t see a way to get up there. There’s nothing close enough to dash with evade from.

Exentryk

Feeling a lot more comfortable with the game. I'm going for maxing out Launch, since it does so much more damage and it works on shielded enemies too. Also, the jump+dodge combination looks so cool! The animations are really nice too, like the dodge and even walking down steps.

The game has really gotten its hooks into me now.

nowhat

Jeez!
The User Score at Metacritic dropped from a 74 to a 70!!!

What’s going on
Poor performance, most like. I reckon most of the reviewers either played it on a beefed up PC or X/Pro.

...which brings me to another point, often disregarded in enthusiast forums such as this. The vast majority of console owners do not own the mid-gen refreshes, as nice as they may be.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Poor performance, most like. I reckon most of the reviewers either played it on a beefed up PC or X/Pro.

...which brings me to another point, often disregarded in enthusiast forums such as this. The vast majority of console owners do not own the mid-gen refreshes, as nice as they may be.
Is this game at all OPEN WORLD like Red Dead Redemption or Days Gone?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I love this game, I'm close to finish it and I don't want it to end. Control is a lot better than Quantum Break imo and I'm so happy Remedy didn't loose his touch. First hours are really confusing but it's worth it to hang on. And the sense of power you get is truly awesome. And a special mention to the episodes of Threshold kids, just crazy and REALLY creepy !

ebevan91

I've played for about 45 minutes and it's interesting so far. Also the game runs pretty well on 4k/medium settings on my RTX 2070. Pretty much stays at 60fps or at least feels like it.

Mista

Banned
Nice. QB is above fine but I can't quite fathom I'd another time for another average. The story's boring for me to make it worse.

How long is Control again?
The story in Control will bang your brain during the whole journey. Many things left unanswered but it was well written

I played for around or above 15 hours up until now. There’re still side missions and contracts I’m competing

GymWolf

am i reading correctly? next patch in 15 to 30 days?!
we need the patch now ffs, the game is 20 hours long at the very best, everybody are gonna finish the game before this patch even come out...

lol remedy...

Ivory Blood

Hmm about performance. Yesterday I noticed that I was playing not on the "game ready" Nvidia driver. Decided to install it and holy shit, the game started lagging like crazy. Random ass freezes for 3-4 seconds and turning the character around completely hangs up the screen, combat became almost unplayable. Rolled the drivers back and voila - everything is fine again. Anyone had the same experience?

Last edited:
Top Bottom