• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

GymWolf

Hmm about performance. Yesterday I noticed that I was playing not on the "game ready" Nvidia driver. Decided to install it and holy shit, the game started lagging like crazy. Random ass freezes for 3-4 seconds and turning the character around completely hangs up the screen, combat became almost unplayable. Rolled the drivers back and voila - everything is fine again. Anyone had the same experience?
yeah some people had the same problem.
and some people with the new driver get +20 frames...

the magic of pc gaming :messenger_beaming:

GymWolf

I would say it's more worldbuilding in all those documents. The Hiss is the immediate threat, but there is a whole world of other mysterious shit around that's not really relevant at that particular moment.
it's better this way, it's a shame when you miss an important plot detail because you can't find a document...
quantum was pretty heavy with plot documents...

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
am i reading correctly? next patch in 15 to 30 days?!
we need the patch now ffs, the game is 20 hours long at the very best, everybody are gonna finish the game before this patch even come out...

lol remedy...

thanks for the heads up. That's about when I'll be buying this

Is SCP stuff a registered trademark? The similarities are so blatant that I'm surprised they just didn't use the name. I know there are a few indie SCP games out there, so I figure it isn't copyrighted.

Some of that stuff is great reading. I checked it out when my daughter discovered it in middle school, the writing on the entries range from shockingly good to kinda terrible. A few really good scifi and horror gems in there.

Otterz4Life

I was on the fence about this game, but decided to go with this over Astral Chain.

Holy. Shit. I’m glad I did. Very well could be my game of the gen. Hits ALL the right notes for me. The exploration, the story, the combat....I’ve always been into this paranormal shit. Huge Lynch and Kubrick fan.

Just learned Evade and got to the janitors office. Backtracked to open some level 2 doors. Are we sure this is 12-15 hours? I’ve put about 4 and I feel like I’m just scratching the surface. I’ve done a LOT of reading though.

Ivory Blood

I was on the fence about this game, but decided to go with this over Astral Chain.

Holy. Shit. I’m glad I did. Very well could be my game of the gen. Hits ALL the right notes for me. The exploration, the story, the combat....I’ve always been into this paranormal shit. Huge Lynch and Kubrick fan.

Just learned Evade and got to the janitors office. Backtracked to open some level 2 doors. Are we sure this is 12-15 hours? I’ve put about 4 and I feel like I’m just scratching the surface. I’ve done a LOT of reading though.
It's 10-15 for main story. If you do all sidequests, reading and exploration it's way more. Plus it has the classic metroidvania loop of "unlock new abilities -> return to previous areas for new secrets".

Terenty

I dunno the whole metroidvania thing is rather superficial imo. I didnt find any reason to explore outside of main plot and some immediate areas. Terrible map didnt motivate either.

I feel like they overdid it on the atmospheric effects. Game has a very soft/fuzzy look to its IQ at max settings. Or is there a setting that is causing it?

Darak

Due to the good reception, I decided to purchase this on PC as I didn't have a strong opinion against Epic exclusives and I like Remedy (despite not being a fan of QB).

Well, they've forcefully changed my mind. Despite the money disappearing immediately, and the purchase apparently going ok, the game only shows in my library as 'unavailable'. Apparently, it's a common bug and sometimes it fixes itself by restarting the Epic launcher. Not in my case, though.

Some investigation led me to activate a verbose logging option at the launcher, and finally to this amazing message:

HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity

This smells like the Microsoft Store all over again. Not being up to par in features with Steam is something I can understand, but not being able to provide such basic features as a reliable download system is just an epic fail.

cormack12

Gold Member
Due to the good reception, I decided to purchase this on PC as I didn't have a strong opinion against Epic exclusives and I like Remedy (despite not being a fan of QB).

That's shit - hope you sort it soon bud. Man this game though. This fucking game!!! For those wondering, it's kind of like Uncharted pacing (not 4). Walk round a little bit, small wave of enemies, advance the story. I actually find it better to just play along and dip into the documents rather than read them all as keeping it vague is what makes it intriguing. There are a LOT of collectible documents though fyi.

UltimateSlimyAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

DisloyalFakeAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

AdeptTangibleErne-size_restricted.gif

Eiknarf

Banned
you are a more patient man than me my friend.
Haaahaaa
But I’m actually not patient. My reason for being able to wait a month to buy Control is because I’m playing three titles I just bought (I’m finishing Yakuza 0, then doing Life is Strange, followed by Nier Automata)

Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Haaahaaa
But I’m actually not patient. My reason for being able to wait a month to buy Control is because I’m playing three titles I just bought (I’m finishing Yakuza 0, then doing Life is Strange, followed by Nier Automata)
what a shame, after yakuza 0 nothing feel good for a while...i envy the fact that you are playing that for the first time.

Mista

Banned
Haaahaaa
Yakuza 0 for the first time? Oh I’d kill to wipe it out of my memory and play it again

Isa

I love everything about it. I'm shocked there aren't more games that explore this style of sci-fi, unless people can recommend some. The directing, atmosphere, conspiracy stuff, action is all good. Plus its easy on the eyes. I restarted to show off the game to my girl and she got hooked too. Even replaying the initial beginning I was noticing things I hadn't before which is really cool. I could see myself replaying this a second time which I normally don't do anymore.

How in the holy hell did I somehow miss the evade ability until I was like 8 hours in....what else am I missin here?!!?

Maxed out launch is almost too powerful, but it feels awesome.

Darak

Epic finally sorted out their server issues and I was able to download and play the game. I'm not impressed by their engine, at least on PC. I'm having serious texture streaming issues, the game is very blurry and low-res (well, it's the same engine as QB, so), performance is far from good, and I've got it crash on me multiple times just by changing visual settings. I also don't like the story or the characters at all, and I think it's way too pretentious for its own good. It's Sam Lake being too much like Sam Lake.

The gameplay is pretty good, though. The metroidvania elements are well realized and the power leveling loop got me hooked. It's probably their best game since the Max Paynes. It could do with better cover awareness and mobility IMO, and the dodge you unlock is not quite what I expected, but the game is well balanced for your controls. Having a great time so far.

Mista

Banned
Just platted

1391725-D-9-EC2-4-EDE-A2-D3-5-E897-AAF1-F6-E.jpg

Unless for some reason GreedFall, Doom Eternal or Jedi: Fallen Order outdo it, Control is my GOTY 2019.

Now I need to replay Killer7 for the 90th time.
Congratulations. I’m like 230 gamerscore away from getting 1000/1000 but not bothering

lefty1117

Gold Member
weird game. very cool. am enjoying it. surprised how much DLSS makes a difference in terms of performance - much better for me with it on (RTX 2070). Question though, I usually play at 1440p and that's what the resolution is set to, but when I enable DLSS it says it renders the game at what appears to be a lower resolution. What's that all about? During gameplay I can't really tell the difference?

sertopico

^ It actually renders the image @900p when you activate DLSS at that res. If you make a side by side comparison you will notice that many elements will be blurrier and that a temporal reconstruction will come into play as you move the camera (it's like a ghosting effect, specially on metallic shiny surfaces). In any case, if you are satisfied with the result, just enjoy the game!

Last edited:

MrJTeera

Goddamn! I’m loving this universe so much. A tug-of-war between sci-fi and the supernatural.

It’s a shame the game hinders on replayability and it’s too damn short. By the time you reached the end credits, the thirst has not been quenched.

Guess I’ll be getting that season pass, after all.

Hostile_18

Banned
This game could of been THE reference for HDR gaming.

Such a shame to lose it over photo mode. (And how strange to pit the two against each other).

Mista

Banned
This game could of been THE reference for HDR gaming.

Such a shame to lose it over photo mode. (And how strange to pit the two against each other).
Fully agreed mate. With all those colours and lightning, HDR would’ve made this game look even more phenomenal

Ivory Blood

But isnt CONTROL a multi-platform game? Why would PS4 fans or XBOX ONE fans purposely give this poor scores?
I think it has more to do with the publisher - 505 games, their strange decision about female only streamers and recent takedowns of Control let's plays. For whatever reason.

79b967cc3ee13c931fb79b3d8fc4ff4621ea99e1.png

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Bunch of retards gathered on MC to review bomb games. Astral Chain and Fire Emblem are getting the same
I would expect negative “review bombing” (to bring the average down) would be done by Xbox Fanboys to Sony exclusive titles like Days Gone and The Last of Us. But when I look at Metacritic, the user scores for both of those are great!
So why Control?

Mista

Banned
I would expect negative “review bombing” (to bring the average down) would be done by Xbox Fanboys to Sony exclusive titles like Days Gone and The Last of Us. But when I look at Metacritic, the user scores for both of those are great!
So why Control?
I think it has more to do with the publisher - 505 games, their strange decision about female only streamers and recent takedowns of Control let's plays. For whatever reason.

79b967cc3ee13c931fb79b3d8fc4ff4621ea99e1.png

Top Bottom