• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

Optional boss side missions = good.

Optional missions where I have to find shit scattered around a large area = bad

Except for the red light/green light thing which doesn't count.

HotPocket69

Banned
Optional boss side missions = good.

Optional missions where I have to find shit scattered around a large area = bad

Except for the red light/green light thing which doesn't count.

It was fine for the most part.

I didn’t mind searching for the mold monsters around The Old House. The Old Friends mission for Arish where you seek out his corrupted friends was good too.

Seeking out the mold spores on the walls, particularly in that NSC Power Plant area was a pain in the ass though

I think Alan Wake has better pacing, Control started off good but I definitely feel like it's starting to drag in the main story and with some of the optional quests. I feel like I'm just kind of forcing myself through the game.

edit: *Sigh* while I knew it was going to happen, I'm disappointed it went there
the Alan Wake, Control connection. I don't know how to feel about this.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Found that Ashtray maze and spent about 10 mins getting nowhere, lol. I don't need levitation for this, do I? Don't need the solution, as I'll figure it out but just need to confirm I'm not missing anything.

GHG

Gold Member
Found that Ashtray maze and spent about 10 mins getting nowhere, lol. I don't need levitation for this, do I? Don't need the solution, as I'll figure it out but just need to confirm I'm not missing anything.

Yeh I got stuck there as well, only found 3 different rooms I think and it kept looping between them.

Gave up on it and decided I'll return later.

cormack12

Gold Member
Beautiful GIFs. How do you make them?

It's actually dead easy - might do a gifGuide. I use PS4 so for me it's kind of

Press Share button, then press square, this will save the last 'x' amount of mins
Note: 'x' is defined in your video settings. You can save the last 3/5/60 mins. I tend to use 5 as the video clip isn't massive and encounters don't usually last ages, plus you can always pause then press share if something cool happened.
Then I go into storage->capture gallery, then look at the video clip. Press Options and 'Trim', then you can condense the snippet you want. Below ten seconds seems to work well.
Then just use 'Copy to USB Storage' and export them.
*Optional: Import the mp4 into photoshop then image size it to something sensible like 540 x 360
Plug into laptop then upload to gfycat or imgur
Get link and share :)

Mista

Banned
It's actually dead easy - might do a gifGuide. I use PS4 so for me it's kind of

Press Share button, then press square, this will save the last 'x' amount of mins
Note: 'x' is defined in your video settings. You can save the last 3/5/60 mins. I tend to use 5 as the video clip isn't massive and encounters don't usually last ages, plus you can always pause then press share if something cool happened.
Then I go into storage->capture gallery, then look at the video clip. Press Options and 'Trim', then you can condense the snippet you want. Below ten seconds seems to work well.
Then just use 'Copy to USB Storage' and export them.
*Optional: Import the mp4 into photoshop then image size it to something sensible like 540 x 360
Plug into laptop then upload to gfycat or imgur
Get link and share :)
Haven’t thought of this before! Thanks mate I’ll give it a try

Yeh I got stuck there as well, only found 3 different rooms I think and it kept looping between them.

Gave up on it and decided I'll return later.

I got stuck there to. Also did the stupid mirror puzzle as well with the cameras, it gave me some trouble even though I thought I was reversing the solution. I still got it done though so oh well lol
🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

d84.jpg

Lux77

Just finished. Good game, it was a nice experience regardless of some drawbacks.

Is it possibly to clean all of Hiss with finishing everything after end or that random missions (Hiss nodes or smth.) just keeps spawning?

Mista

Banned
Just finished. Good game, it was a nice experience regardless of some drawbacks.

Is it possibly to clean all of Hiss with finishing everything after end or that random missions (Hiss nodes or smth.) just keeps spawning?
They'll keep respawning

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Beat the game the other day and got the platinum yesterday, my thoughts:

I thought the game was really good although a bit weird. You'll be confused at the start but as you progress, things get explained slowly and you can grasp what happened. The overall premise is understandable but it might take some time to wrap around what's actually this and that.

Anyway, I really do enjoy the gameplay and it's pretty solid. My major issue was the performance especially when you pause and unpause the game (biiiiiig slowdown). The side bosses are fine but one is infuriatingly difficult.

Overall the game is very doable but it can get a bit tricky with some enemies. I do love the variety of the locations, the obtuseness, and the paranormal stuff going around.

Here's to hoping to see more Remedy games in the future.

Hostile_18

Banned
Finished and got the Plat last night.

I enjoyed it, no where near Alan Wake level but I still enjoyed it. It's a very strong 7/10 for me.

The story isn't as good as it could be as it has a rough start and a rougher ending. Quite a few of the main story beats don't really get the kind resolution you'd expect I.e wernt important/ didn't do much after all, and the setting got repetitive.

That been said I'm looking forward to the season pass, so glad I bought it. Felt like a 20 hour plus game if you do all the side content. The damage physics were possibly the best I've ever seen in a game, on the flip side 1080p, no HDR and the frame rate was disappointing.

I know I mentioned about Deadly Premonition earlier but it's just been announced and released on the Switch today. If your after a similar game based on mystery and a quirky story and don't mind average graphics, try it out. It will be the best game you've played in years!

Last edited:

Terenty

For me the main problem of the story was Jesse. She is boring and badly voiced, there's a dissonance between the story and her generic almost Marvel like character. Frances York Morgan she is not

Last edited:

SALMORE

Just finished the game ! the story crambled a bit at the end & the ending was very disappointing , but the back stories & overall lore makes up for it

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Wait

the User Score over at Metacritic started at a 7.0, then dropped to a 4.4, but is now suddenly back up to a 7.1.
How'd that happen? Did Metacritic take it upon themselves to remove Review Bombs?

There's an endgame difficulty spike section that is straight up horseshit that's very dependent on luck for you to beat it and there's no checkpoints while it can easily be a 10-20 minute section.

Bums me out because the sequence before it is really pretty awesome but the section afterwards completely soured me. I mean it's straight up bullshit. It's so damn cheap it's not even funny and I have max upgrades on everything cept melee.

There's an endgame difficulty spike section that is straight up horseshit that's very dependent on luck for you to beat it and there's no checkpoints while it can easily be a 10-20 minute section.

Bums me out because the sequence before it is really pretty awesome but the section afterwards completely soured me. I mean it's straight up bullshit. It's so damn cheap it's not even funny and I have max upgrades on everything cept melee.

i finally beat the final area of the last section by pretty much just staying on that upper level platform you land on, & letting everyone come to me. tho the invisible & the flyers can still be bitches...

my final take on the game: i loved it, but, just as was the case with prey, another game i loved, the combat was simply overdone, & eventually just became exhausting. both games were more than interesting enough, & featured more than enough exploration, that they didn't really need to go so overboard with the excessive combat...

Last edited:

Terenty

my final take on the game: i loved it, but, just as was the case with prey, another game i loved, the combat was simply overdone, & eventually just became exhausting. both games were more than interesting enough, & featured more than enough exploration, that they didn't really need to go so overboard with the excessive combat...

Prey was much more flexible in its approach and the last section could be easily skipped combat wise, unlike Control

sertopico

Dears, best strategy against the
Fridge alien monster thing?

I already died 4 times. And sometimes I hate the checkpoint system.

Last edited:
Dears, best strategy against the
Fridge alien monster thing?

I already died 4 times. And sometimes I hate the checkpoint system.

Stage 1 - The fight begins and the boss throws the balls of energy. You can grab these yourself with telekinesis and throw them back at him for massive damage. You don't need to dodge much and you can keep using them to hit the boss hard.

Stage 2 - The boss' arms will appear and it can now attack with them. There are two cues to be ready for:

Visual - the boss clearly raises one set of arms (left or right) on it's body. Run in the opposite direction that the arm is coming from (for example: arm attacking from left to right, run and dodge right).
Sound - there is a specific sound when the arm is coming, around 1-2 seconds after the sound plays, you want to start actively using your dash/dodge to evade the arm. If you can recognize the audio cue, it will hit exactly at the same time, every time, so you can begin to anticipate the moment when the arm makes contact with the ground.

Focus on dodging the arm rather than returning fire and watch out for holes in the ground that the arms will create. You will die instantly if you fall down them. There's also a visual indicator of the hole (a shining light) that makes them a little easier to see.

When the boss starts throwing energy balls again, you can use these to attack like Stage 1. You may need to repeat this cycle 2-3 times.

Stage 3 - This is basically the same as Stage 2 except you need to actively return fire into the central eye as the boss will no longer throw energy balls. There should be a brief pause between arm attacks where you can get a few shots in. Grip seems to be the most effective as it is quick to get a few shots off and you can stack a few damage mods to help a little.

Stay mobile, but the biggest danger is the growing number of holes in the floor as the fight continues.

Good luck!

Last edited:

sertopico

Great, thanks for the detailled description. Seems quite hard. What caused me troubles are exactly those friggin arms! I'll try again later, I need some cooldown hehe

X GOD FIST X

Neo Member
If the XFILES and PSI OPS MINDGATE had a baby it would be CONTROL. This game definitely scratches the paranormal telekinesis itch. Brilliant game. Thanks to Remedy.
Now hopefully some patches to smooth the experience.

Hostile_18

Banned
Here's a question. When you find the Flamingo and it warps you to a boss battle for the second time do you have to beat him this second time? I died and never had to go back. Not sure if I took him out with my death blow (tm), it glitched or you don't have to win

I just beat it and have done all the side quests, unless I missed one that I don't know about.

My final take is the game left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. I love the lore and the setting of the game, some of the sidequests were really well done. But that shouldn't come at the expense of the main campaign which at times was far inferior compared to some of the really good side quest battles, especially in the latter half of the main campaign.

The ending of main campaign is very anti climatic and the second half of it has practically zero boss battles. There's no tension or stakes being raised towards the end. While there is one or two good segments in the final act the game ends with a fizzle rather than a bang.

The other thing is that the service weapon is just not that good, while the grip is fairly decent. The other forms are just not that good. For the most part launch is the most effective means of dealing with enemies with seize being useful in certain situations dealing with large groups.

I'm not going to get into how you can die very quickly even with max health because it is what it is.

I spent full price for this on PC. I have mixed feelings on this game overall, there's some stuff I really like about Control and some stuff I really don't like about it. So it's difficult for me to give it a definitive score if I had to.

Siri

Banned
The RTX stuff, maxed out, is clearly the best implementation of RTX we’ve ever seen. It’s fascinating how your brain absorbs this - because so many other games that I thought looked incredible, now seem kind of flat, as though all the world reflections are just.... missing.

RTX is the way of the future, no doubt about it.

Winchester

Only a few hours into it and loving the game so far. Feels 100% Remedy. The fact they brought James McCaffrey back in for voice work is icing. But yes, the performance on this (OG PS4 for me) is completely abhorrent when it comes to action on screen. It's embarrassing honestly. This supposed patch that's coming out sometime this month hopefully will correct this issue.

Skyfox

I’m a huge fan of all remedy games and I’ve just started this.

Awkward question - please excuse me if I’m way off base (as I’ve said I’m not far into the game), but does this game have a kind of satanic tone?

It just seems kind of disturbing in a kind of subliminal way and I can be a little sensitive about this topic so I was wondering if other players could comment to either reassure or confirm my initial impression?

I played it late at night (and in an exhausted state so it could well just be my own sensitivity here).

Ivory Blood

I’m a huge fan of all remedy games and I’ve just started this.

Awkward question - please excuse me if I’m way off base (as I’ve said I’m not far into the game), but does this game have a kind of satanic tone?

It just seems kind of disturbing in a kind of subliminal way and I can be a little sensitive about this topic so I was wondering if other players could comment to either reassure or confirm my initial impression?

I played it late at night (and in an exhausted state so it could well just be my own sensitivity here).
It... kinda doesn't? I don't know, there is no overt "satanic" imagery or tone, or anything, but it IS sorta disturbing. There is an
alien invasion from another plane of reality going on in the Oldest House, after all.

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm about two thirds into the main campaign (been busy with work/otherwise indisposed so I haven't had that much time for gaming) - I'll reserve my final judgment until I finish the game, but thus far, I can't recall when I would have been as conflicted about a game. It's not unheard of for a game to excel in some areas while lacking in others (it's the norm really, and there's no such thing as a perfect game), but this game excels and lacks in the same areas. It's quite baffling really. Some examples:
  • The lore and world building is fantastic, I'm usually not so keen on having to read/listen logs to figure out what's going on, but I think it works very well here. Sure, there are some really obvious influences, but meh, who cares. This may be "SCP, the game", but I like SCP.
    • ...but the main story is not nearly of the same caliber. It starts out intriguing enough, but more I learn of what's going on the less I'm interested in it. Combine this with awful dialogue (sure, there's Ahti, but a single character doesn't salvage the rest) and story-wise I'm just not that into the game.
  • The presentation can be really atmospheric, some great art and sound design. To make an empty office seem eerie and otherworldly is no small feat. Great lighting engine too.
    • ...but some of the recurring animations, such as jumping and climbing, are really bad. And yes, then there are the facial models/animations - I really have no idea what's going on there. Don't give me any of that "It's the SJWs hurr durr"-crap, they are bad all around no matter the character.
  • Not having a quest marker in a third person action game, especially one with non-linear environments, is quite refreshing. Often you have to follow clues in the environment to find out where you need to go, which I like.
    • ...but it doesn't always work, the level design is not perfect in that regard, and the map is pretty much useless (when it even manages to load). And FFS, at least mark what level security doors there are in the map.
  • The combat, once you level up a bit, is really satisfying. Bonus points for not having regenerating health - being down on your last sliver of health, then going all Leeroy Jenkins on a group of enemies and coming out on top feels really great.
    • ...but the encounter design is really pedestrian, and the enemy AI is nothing to write home about, which definitely impacts my enjoyment.
Still, it's a good game. Shame about the performance issues, hope they get patched at least a bit. Also, often a "director's cut" in movies involves adding more scenes to the original work. Here a director's cut could be just cutting most of the internal monologue. That would improve the story considerably.

Last edited:
Finished yesterday... I LOoooooooOVED IT, I enjoyed a mess until the end and I was amazed on many occasion, a WOW effect guaranteed.
Thanks Remedy for not following the mass and always having great ideas, I love you. :messenger_heart:

Hostile_18

Banned
Remember when Bioshock reinvented readable collectables into audio diaries so it didn't break up the flow of the game?

I can't help but feeling this was a missed opportunity. They could of used memo recorders given the retro technology theme. It would of been great way to make the game flow better (and chance to add in a few hilarious office worker commentaries).

Top Bottom