• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

xrnzaaas

Main story was great although I feel a little bit like they've ended it safe to make room for endgame (or, as they call it, endless grind ;)) and for the expansions. I'm definitely getting them, didn't expect so many Alan Wake mentions in the game.

Anyway platinum was pretty easy, once I defeated Tomassi (who was easier for me to beat than Mold1) it was only about cleanup.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I just completed the PUNCH CARD mission- and have to say this game is great!
I like fuckin’ up this Hiss

I don’t know how close to the end I am, but can’t wait to see how it ends

8.5 out of 10 for me so far. I’d give it a 9 if the girl was attractive just for the simple fact that it would be nice and pleasing to look at. Face it; looks matter.

When I play as a male character, I like that he’s cool looking or badass. And the last few games using a male protagonist had typical attractive men
(Days Gone. Last of Us. Yakuza 0. Bioshock. ..etc) My god, even the female that you run around with in Bioshock Infinite is even stereotypically good looking. Just wonder why Jesse in Control couldn’t be a little cuter? You’re gonna spend three years building a game and rendering a female all day every day, don’t you as a designer want to enjoy looking at what you’re working on?

Anyway, can’t wait to see how it ends

Eiknarf

Banned
Man! This game is fun!

I don’t know how close to the end I am but I’m halfway through clearing The Hedron Chamber. So probably close.

This game is the right amount of difficulty at the right spots.

By the way, was (is) there difficulty setting? I just turned it on and played. I didn’t adjust the difficulty (if there was or wasn’t any) I didn’t look

9 out of 10
(9.5 if the lead ya play as [Jesse] wasn’t so ugly)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally got around to playing this game and while I agree that its a great game and is easily the longest game Remedy has ever made. I have to admit that I find some of the boss battles to be incredibly tedious and frustrating. The fridge and flamingo fight was one of the worst fights I have done in a game in years. I expect I will get the platinum trophy before too much longer, but I doubt that I will be returning any time soon.

Anyway, I hope the remaining fights aren't too frustrating from here on out.

Eiknarf

Banned
Finally got around to playing this game and while I agree that its a great game and is easily the longest game Remedy has ever made. I have to admit that I find some of the boss battles to be incredibly tedious and frustrating. The fridge and flamingo fight was one of the worst fights I have done in a game in years. I expect I will get the platinum trophy before too much longer, but I doubt that I will be returning any time soon.

Anyway, I hope the remaining fights aren't too frustrating from here on out.

Oh really?
For some reason those were easy for me and I’m having trouble with the big mold plant creature down in the pit in the OLD GROWTH side mission

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh really?
For some reason those were easy for me and I’m having trouble with the big mold plant creature down in the pit in the OLD GROWTH side mission
I have never been good at shoot and jump to avoid falling type fights. The fridge fight wouldn't have been so bad if not for the final phase where all it does is just spam the ground smash.

Oh really?

Throw the spore mold boulders on the ceiling at it and it goes down easy. They do extra damage, shouldn't take that many throws if you got the dmg maxed out.

I have never been good at shoot and jump to avoid falling type fights. The fridge fight wouldn't have been so bad if not for the final phase where all it does is just spam the ground smash.

I fell through the holes in that stupid ground smash so many freaking times........ It's an easy fight other than that though.

Eiknarf

Banned
Throw the spore mold boulders on the ceiling at it and it goes down easy. They do extra damage, shouldn't take that many throws if you got the dmg maxed out.

I fell through the holes in that stupid ground smash so many freaking times........ It's an easy fight other than that though.

Yeah
I finally beat that mold thing

But I have a side question
Why do I keep reading that the game is only 10 hours?

I’ve been playing like 23 hours doing everything (the side missions too)
- and I find you can’t beat some of the main mission levels without upgrading via the side missions.

There were so many incredible aspects to this game, but it never truly conquered its own dubiously convoluted concepts. The self-narration became grating exposition by the last third of the game, and I felt the ending truly disappointed. The gameplay, atmosphere, environment destruction, art design were all some of the most fabulous things I've experienced the past couple of years.
I think next time, show restraint in the narrative please Remedy, and please enough with the DSLR shot live-action integration! It diminishes the graphics of your engine, whilst simultaneously revealing limitations of your live-action directing skills.

Eiknarf

Banned
Gonna drop my score another point soon.

It already dropped from a 10 to a 9.5 because of the protagonist’s look. Now it’s about to drop a full point to an 8.5 due to the INSTANT JUMP in difficulty for two missions that got too frustratingly difficult

How many times do I have to replay the “Defeat Hiss Corrupted Mr. Tommasi” mission and/or the “Polaris” mission!?!

What kind of game has such a drastic JUMP in difficulty?!

No other parts of the game were this difficult. Every part of this game got slowly and naturally more difficult the way one would assume

Jump to these two missions and they’re almost impossible

I’ve purposely done every side mission to upgrade my weapons as best as I can

I hate when fun turns into frustrating. That is not why I buy games

SleepDoctor

Banned
Finally got around to finishing this yesterday. Its a great game, story, gameplay, and graphics were pretty good. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

I may finish the side missions I have left before sending it back to gamefly.

ESPOMAN

I played a bit more than half and I really liked it but I haven't played it in a while. I might restart it when some of the DLC comes out I think.

Tiamat2san

Hmmm
It’s on sale for less than 40€
I got 25€ on my Xbox account.
Looking at what this thread says , I’ll take it.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Was hoping it went on sale for PC but only seeing console version discounts

7cpKrE2.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Could've used a couple more abilities to keep the game from becoming mechanically stale by the end, and weapon mods that added some functional differentiation. The story blunders to the finish line with a whimper and thud and doesn't come together very well. Solid game though, 7.5 or so, and I'll be in for the DLC campaigns if there's positive buzz when they hit.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm finishing up this game now and I'm actually glad it got some awards. Remedy is definitely one of the top developers working today. Gameplay has that terrific arcade feeling with lots of powers that overlap and all interact with one another and the writing is simply phenomenal.

I want a TV show about this universe ASAP. It could (and actually should) be a throwback to the X Files.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can you turn off the blood on screen effect when low on health? Shit is annoying the hell out of me and I really wish developers would stop doing this if your character has a health bar. Thanks.

Eiknarf

Banned
Can you turn off the blood on screen effect when low on health? Shit is annoying the hell out of me and I really wish developers would stop doing this if your character has a health bar. Thanks.
Refresh my memory.
What’s the “blood on screen” effect? Splatter on the screen?
I should pop it in

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Refresh my memory.
What’s the “blood on screen” effect? Splatter on the screen?
I should pop it in

Yes. And then it goes away once you gain back enough health. It's just bad. Played Control at launch and forgot how bad it was until just a little while ago.

Eiknarf

Banned
Yes. And then it goes away once you gain back enough health. It's just bad. Played Control at launch and forgot how bad it was until just a little while ago.
Ahhh ok I think I remember

For me, once I understood how to play the game, I really dug the hell out of it. I think it takes me longer to “get” a game than most of you players in here. I was initially confused with upgrading the weapons. It’s me, not you guys. It’s why I only play one game at a time.

but then I played it again and did literally every side quest

xool

Gonna drop my score another point soon.

It already dropped from a 10 to a 9.5 because of the protagonist’s look. Now it’s about to drop a full point to an 8.5 due to the INSTANT JUMP in difficulty for two missions that got too frustratingly difficult

How many times do I have to replay the “Defeat Hiss Corrupted Mr. Tommasi” mission and/or the “Polaris” mission!?!

What kind of game has such a drastic JUMP in difficulty?!

No other parts of the game were this difficult. Every part of this game got slowly and naturally more difficult the way one would assume

Jump to these two missions and they’re almost impossible

I’ve purposely done every side mission to upgrade my weapons as best as I can

I hate when fun turns into frustrating. That is not why I buy games

For Polaris - you can move back onto an earlier platform if it gets too much, take your time

As for Mr. Tomazi - yes it's tough. I think I got lucky.

Not excusing the game with git-gud excuses - those boss fights were ass imo. Rest of the game was super great

And Jesse is ok. I would.

Stuart360

Recently tried to get into this game again for the fourth time lol (the other 3 times bored me to tears), and i'm happy to say that i'm actually enjoying it a bit now. I'm about half way through i'd guess, and its def gripped me a bit this time.
Little things still annoy me like the lack of guidance meaning i'm often stuck not knowing what to do next. And the map, oh boy the map lol.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This ain't right man, even if Sony is about to acquire Remedy. People already paid for the expansion pass and now some of them will have to wait 3 additional months... and the first DLC is already "late" when you look at the release date of the base game.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Man, Doom Eternal this week and then Foundation next week. And then RE3 the next week and then FF7R the next week.

Thank you videogames and thank you Sony.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This ain't right man, even if Sony is about to acquire Remedy. People already paid for the expansion pass and now some of them will have to wait 3 additional months... and the first DLC is already "late" when you look at the release date of the base game.
Thats a bloody good point actually. This is some dodgy scumbaggery at it's finest.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Recently tried to get into this game again for the fourth time lol (the other 3 times bored me to tears), and i'm happy to say that i'm actually enjoying it a bit now. I'm about half way through i'd guess, and its def gripped me a bit this time.
Little things still annoy me like the lack of guidance meaning i'm often stuck not knowing what to do next. And the map, oh boy the map lol.

I felt the same way. Maybe I'll try to get into it again today. I think part of the problem is the performance is still kinda crap with DLSS on because I don't want to turn down the RTX

Top Bottom