• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control |OT| The power of the gun 'n' the palm of your hand

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Wait
What am I missing?
What’s happening?

The new download expansion is coming soon, right ?
Sony has signed a timed exclusivity deal with Remedy so The Foundation DLC will release on Xbox 3 months later (at the end of June instead of March). Which is unacceptable considering the expansion pass has been on sale for months now and it costs the same on both consoles.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Playing this game via PS Now at the moment. Dig the gun play and all but man... the map.... What the fuck where they thinking? The game has one of the most bland level designs ever (everything looks the same) and they decide to give me this shit for navigation? At least give me some ingame arrows to find my way to the next mission if you are unable to implement a proper map. Holy shit Remedy... Did no one notice this during the development? What a joke.

I don't think I've gone from hot to cold on a game as quickly as with this one lol. First few hours I was loving the presentation and the general Lynchian madness but after the 10th copy paste combat section I wanted to tear my hairr out. And whoever designed that fucking map system needs a good talking to.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Do we have to buy the whole season pass or can we buy Foundation by itself?
I don't think they'll offer separate purchases, but we'll see tomorrow. Anyway I'd wait for a good deal on the season pass, next DLC should be an Alan Wake themed one, so it'll probably be even more interesting than The Foundation. :)

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I don't think they'll offer separate purchases, but we'll see tomorrow. Anyway I'd wait for a good deal on the season pass, next DLC should be an Alan Wake themed one, so it'll probably be even more interesting than The Foundation. :)

Dude I’ve been fiending for new parts of this game since release. Looks like I’ll probably just have to bite the bullet and get the SP. I doubt they’ll sell it by itself. Not yet at least.

JoduanER2

Playing this game via PS Now at the moment. Dig the gun play and all but man... the map.... What the fuck where they thinking? The game has one of the most bland level designs ever (everything looks the same) and they decide to give me this shit for navigation? At least give me some ingame arrows to find my way to the next mission if you are unable to implement a proper map. Holy shit Remedy... Did no one notice this during the development? What a joke.

I agree, every level looks exactly the same, 90% you are in the building. I was really disappointed by this game.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try version 1.08, but just as I was booting it up got a message for version 1.09 lol. Something must have broken pretty bad.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So they are selling the DLC's separately after all... but the pricing isn't that good. I remember the whole season pass having a similar price in one of the recent sales. I'll wait for another sale, because I didn't pick up the sp in the last one.

HotPocket69

Banned
So they are selling the DLC's separately after all... but the pricing isn't that good. I remember the whole season pass having a similar price in one of the recent sales. I'll wait for another sale, because I didn't pick up the sp in the last one.

I’m not seeing them sold separately on the PSN store

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:
Just finished it! Really great game, I have some issue with the progression in that early sections are a bit too frustrating with enemies that can one shot you and then later on it's a walk in the park and you're just overpowering fools, but I suppose the game maintains some semblance of difficulty throughout and that's more than I can say for most western games. Performance sucked a bit, but it's very playable unless you're really anal about this shit. Everything from Finnish Tango onward to the end if brilliant, just a fantastic ride and terrific level design. And fuck me it was great to hear Porcupine Tree once the credits rolled, awesome choice.

It doesn't quite beat Sunset Overdrive for my favorite TPS this gen, but it's pretty up there. It's an unpolished masterpiece in more than one way.

xool

DLC was great but more of the same, but they decided to double down on BS boss sequences like the main game with that "Jesse rides the music train" or whatever it was called. I just don't have time for that.

Turns out Former-1 was bugged all along and you are not supposed to fall through the floor as much as you did. They patched it. 8 fucking months after release

Fbh

Damn this game runs poorly on my GTX 1050Ti (actually just saw they say a 1060 is the minimum). I'm used to having to lock some games to 30fps but this one seems to be struggling with even just that.
Isn't it the same engine as Quantum Break? Without all the RTX stuff it doesn't particularly look any better than Quantum Break but it runs at like half the framerate.

Dr.D00p

Damn this game runs poorly on my GTX 1050Ti (actually just saw they say a 1060 is the minimum). I'm used to having to lock some games to 30fps but this one seems to be struggling with even just that.
Isn't it the same engine as Quantum Break? Without all the RTX stuff it doesn't particularly look any better than Quantum Break but it runs at like half the framerate.

12-20fps on my RTX 2080 (@4K with RTX, No DLSS) tells you how demanding this game is...even an RTX 2080Ti can't run this past 30fps with everything cranked up to the max.

It'll be a great game to play....with an Nvidia 4080Ti circa 2023.

Fbh

12-20fps on my RTX 2080 (@4K with RTX, No DLSS) tells you how demanding this game is...even an RTX 2080Ti can't run this past 30fps with everything cranked up to the max.

It'll be a great game to play....with an Nvidia 4080Ti circa 2023.

Damn.

BTW is there any way to remove screen tear without the vsynch solution in the game locking it to 30fps the second it drops below 60?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I picked this up digitally off PS Now and have gotten into it. At first I thought it looked a little Matrixy generic with all the grey buildings. But the game really has some nice style to it, and they use color wonderfully. The blue room where that dude is projected and you see him and a second silhouette of his head was really cool. It all kind of reminds me of that 60s spy show The Prisoner. Or Mission Impossible. Or the Avengers.

Combat is a lot of fun and getting lost is the biggest complaint but that isn’t a big deal as this game looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I picked this up digitally off PS Now and have gotten into it. At first I thought it looked a little Matrixy generic with all the grey buildings. But the game really has some nice style to it, and they use color wonderfully. The blue room where that dude is projected and you see him and a second silhouette of his head was really cool. It all kind of reminds me of that 60s spy show The Prisoner.

Combat is a lot of fun and getting lost is the biggest complaint but that isn’t a big deal as this game looks fantastic.
Yup, I got the special edition at launch, it's getting a PS5 upgrade too... I can't wait to play the expansions in November / Deccember.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Janitor is very Twin Peaks. Some great absurdist dialogue here. Also Jessie is kind of like Agent Scully if she was in a Metroidvania.

Still photos don’t really do this game justice. It is very heavy on the visual effects and psychedelic explosions of color during fights and looking at times like a trippy painting. The art design is reason enough to keep playing.

I can’t get over these cool parts where the dude is talking to you and it looks like he is standing in front of a projector.

control-preview-5-e1538891234244-1.jpg

Last edited:
Got this for about £13 during the Epic sale and jumped in yesterday. First hour impressions are great, looking forward to playing more. First time I've been interested in a game's story in a long time, I'm not much of a narrative game guy. The combat seems really fun too.

Think it's gonna be a case of good game is good, confirmed.

D.Final

Banned
Got this for about £13 during the Epic sale and jumped in yesterday. First hour impressions are great, looking forward to playing more. First time I've been interested in a game's story in a long time, I'm not much of a narrative game guy. The combat seems really fun too.

Think it's gonna be a case of good game is good, confirmed.

I, personally, don't think that this game it is so great, honestly.
It's a good combat, but I don't like the story

Last edited:

Rikkori

I wonder if Xbox's AutoHDR would work for this game with XSX. It would be such a saving grace, this game badly needed HDR.

I, personally, don't think that this game it is so great, honestly.
It's a good combat, but I don't like the story

Fair enough. I almost never like a video game story, for some reason I often can barely follow them. This one seems different so far but time will tell. It's all presented nicely though and is a welcome change of pace for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really like the story in this. You have the main character and her personal search for her brother and her interaction with this strange organization. Then there is all the parapsychology and supernatural stuff. I love all the floating bodies and references to the astral plane and telekenisis. I’m a big fan of the IRL parapsychology experiments of the 20th century and think it is nice fodder for games. It also connects the Cold War with outdated technology like floppy disks and projectors, which are nice nostalgia for me. Exposition dumps never drag on too long and the cutscenes are well directed. The worst I can say is the puppet shows are a bit silly but that’s fine u need some levity to go along with your supernatural nightmare.

Last edited:
That uh... that AWE ending is something huh. It is a rather short dlc but the story is a setup for something interesting.

Super spoilers

Also the DLC... there's a weird implication about the entire story of Control just ...well made up in Wake's head as he's trapped and is forced to write something. which is weird. Unless I misinterpreted the cutscenes. But he does talk about a government agency needing to be put into the story for his escape so..

EDMIX

That uh... that AWE ending is something huh. It is a rather short dlc but the story is a setup for something interesting.

Super spoilers

Also the DLC... there's a weird implication about the entire story of Control just ...well made up in Wake's head as he's trapped and is forced to write something. which is weird. Unless I misinterpreted the cutscenes. But he does talk about a government agency needing to be put into the story for his escape so..

I might end up just getting the PS5 edition as I'm pretty sure it has all the DLC....I mean yea right?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just got this game. I skipped it because I had other titles to play, but I heard good things about it. I’m only on the 3rd mission, but so far my only complaint is how much it chugs during the menus. It feels like the game can’t snap in its menus and I’m playing on PS4. It’s like the only game I’ve seen get like that.
I definitely get the Twin Peaks vibes and working at the bureau. It’s cool, but it feels paper thin at times. Progression isn’t bad. Not sure on that DLC just yet. I went back Allan Wake and I forgot about how strong the narration can get. It’s a lot of fun, but sometimes I’ll just stick subtitles on. At first I thought this was going to be a one-and-done, but it sounds like it’ll carry over for next gen. It certainly has a lot of cool art to it.

Myths

Interesting character progression system, weird but unique story concept too. Being able to hurl objects around is satisfying, it almost takes me back to Power Stone. The map and/or navigation system is terribly implemented and confusing all around.

Top Bottom