• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Control sales top two million

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Control sales top two million

November 2020 was the game's best-selling month.

Total sales for Control have surpassed two million units, developer Remedy Entertainment announced during its Capital Market Day presentation.

November 2020, 15 months after launch, was the strongest selling month for Control. Over 60 percent of the game’s 2019 sales were digital, as well as over 90 percent of the game’s 2020 sales.

Control launched for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via the Epic Games Store in August 2019, followed by PC via Steam in August 2020. Cloud-based versions of Control launched for Switch and Amazon’s Luna service in October 2020. PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions are due out in early 2021.

Source: Gematsu

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
I am playing it now on gamepass and this is Remedy's best game. The story is fascinating and engaging, and the combat is fun. The concept of the Old House is a lot of fun.

Personally though, the chanting in the background is unsettling.

Reactions: zeioIIDX

SullaFelix

Neo Member
Dec 8, 2020
Absolutely loved Control. They nailed the X-files vibe, and the gameplay was engaging throughout (though I mostly ended up just relying on telekinesis). Very excited to see what Remedy do next, specifically
Alan Wake

Reactions: zeioIIDX

Salmon Snake

Jul 31, 2019
Great to hear that the sales are that good. At first Control's sales made it seem like a total flop.
I bought the PS4 Digital Deluxe edition before it's release and I'll get the Ultimate edition for PS5 eventually. Haven't played the AWE dlc yet.

Next Alan Wake Remaster and Alan Wake 2 !!

Three

Oct 26, 2014
Doesn't seem all that high for a multiplatform release but I'm glad they are happy with it since it means it met their expectations. I assume it's good for a new IP. Wish Remedy all the best with whatever they do next.

Reactions: Allnamestakenlol

Max_Po

Mar 1, 2015
I think I recently purchased the Ultimate Ed on PS4.. which comes with PS5 upgrade....waiting for it...

BlueXImpulse

Jul 10, 2020
I remember when some people on this forum were trying to frame these as bad sales. Exclusivity can have a profound impact on sales if the marketing teams really get behind a game. Ghost of Tsushima (new IP) has also sold 5m.

Remedy seem happy so good for them.

Antitype

Oct 24, 2017
Not surprising, it was on sale and tons of people skipped the RTX20 series, and are now upgrading to RTX30 and this is the game I imagine most are buying as it's an RTX showcase. Also helps that it's a decent/good game as well.

Last edited:

Salmon Snake

Jul 31, 2019
I remember when some people on this forum were trying to frame these as bad sales. Exclusivity can have a profound impact on sales if the marketing teams really get behind a game. Ghost of Tsushima (new IP) has also sold 5m.

You have to remember that the production, marketing etc. costs were a lot lower for Control than Sony's first party games or FF7 Remake.

Last edited:

BlueXImpulse

Jul 10, 2020
You have to remember that the production, marketing etc. costs were a lot lower for Control than Sony's first party games or FF7 Remake.

I don't think the 2m sales are necessarily bad, context matters. Exclusivity could maybe have helped because then you could negotiate marketing details to promote it better.

Rikkori

May 9, 2020
Oh golly gee, is he saying more people bought a game for 16,99€ instead of 59,99€? But why would people do that, doesn't everyone just want to give game devs more money? I just can't believe people could be so selfish.

sobaka770

Jun 25, 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
It's a good game, great shooting and atmosphere - 2M is a good sales amount.

Remedy needs to tighten up its writing, though.
Darkness in Alan Wake, Hiss/Board in Control - I get what they are going for is somewhat Lovecraftian and unknowable but it ends up unsatisfactory in the end and the narrative crumbles.
I'm not getting another game from them if there is so little pay off in the end.

Reactions: RNG

Skifi28

Jun 28, 2020
Wake me up when the next gen console version arives.

Last edited:

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019
Fun game, wish i cared more about the story though. 2M sounds a bit low, but i'm probably wrong.

Dr Kaneda

Jun 15, 2019
Briefly played it on a base PS4 the day it released. Performance was so bad I ended up selling.

Seems like a fantastic game though, want to hopefully pick up the complete edition with the next generation upgrade when it's released.

ssringo

Dec 8, 2020
Never finished it as other games distracted me. I did enjoy what I played though and plan to go back to it one day.

Good for them if they're happy with the sales.

yurqqa

Jun 16, 2010
It's a strange game.

It feels like your standard action-adventure game, but it's one of the few recent game I finished.

Guess it's the atmosphere + good gameplay.

"Good gameplay" is the ingredient too many game developers forget about recently.

Dec 2, 2018
I really liked Control, and I usually dislike shooters. I did think that the concept of the Oldest House constantly shifting around you that was set up so brilliantly in the opening was underutilized by the end, when it began to feel like a rather generic shooter at times.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020

depends on the development/marketing budget and publisher share of revenue. it's usually the publishers who bloat costs by demanding tack-on features and give unrealistic revenue targets. Konami killed one of the biggest franchises in gaming because they can't milk MGS enough. Also SE with Avengers.

Reactions: BlueXImpulse

Bodomism

Do not engage the troll, report me
Jun 1, 2020
I don't think the 2m sales are necessarily bad, context matters. Exclusivity could maybe have helped because then you could negotiate marketing details to promote it better.
TBF, FF7R was the most awaited remake and shipped just 5 million units is really underwhelming result.

Monster Hunter Rise on Nintendo Switch is going to outsell FF7R on PS4 at the end.

BlueXImpulse

Jul 10, 2020
TBF, FF7R was the most awaited remake and shipped just 5 million units is really underwhelming result.

Monster Hunter Rise on Nintendo Switch is going to outsell FF7R on PS4 at the end.

Switch in general has a way higher attachment rate than any other platform.

ripeavocado

Jul 26, 2020
Wasn't it extremely discounted, part of passes and so on?

Congratulations on the spin, Remedy.

I wish your game making skills were as good.

Reizo Ryuu

Jan 12, 2014
It's a good game, great shooting and atmosphere - 2M is a good sales amount.

Remedy needs to tighten up its writing, though.
Darkness in Alan Wake, Hiss/Board in Control - I get what they are going for is somewhat Lovecraftian and unknowable but it ends up unsatisfactory in the end and the narrative crumbles.
I'm not getting another game from them if there is so little pay off in the end.

There's "little pay off" because this is still an ongoing narrative; control is basically just Alan Wake: Intermission.
Alan Wake 2, Control 2, or a game centred around any of the other doors in the Motel, will be the next chapter in this narrative.

Bryank75

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ireland
2 million doesn't sound too good. I bought at launch and the fact that there was no upgrade path for PS5 really made it unpalatable to buy the game again... I would even have been okay with a 10-15 euro upgrade path but they really fudged it.

If they were Sony first party, it would benefit them greatly, from tech they need to improve the quality in character faces, to marketing and talent sharing etc.
I'd also love to see them get the Max Payne IP back and do a sequel, since R* seem to do nothing with that.

Windom Earle

Jan 4, 2009
Control is insanely good. The tech on PC is outstanding and the same goes for gameplay and story. Coming from someone who did not like Alan Wake very much.

Kerotan

Oct 31, 2018
Great news. I bought it last month of a psn sale but I'm waiting for the ps5 upgrade early next year to play.

jonnyXx

Jan 27, 2019
Cool. I started playing it but put it aside to wait until I got the RTX 3080...Little did I know.
Anyway Still waiting for that 3080😔

Kerlurk

May 1, 2020
A lot of people wait for sales before buying, and it's usually about a year after a games release that you get significant price drops.

Thus resulting in the high digital sales in that time frame.

Currently $17.99 US on the Playstation US store.

Shubh_C63

Dec 6, 2016
India
I do not have any interest in this game at all.
Not everyone have the same tastes.

It is almost 2021 and we still have these childish posts. -_-
Well it was not childish. It was meant to be a toungue in cheek comment.

But you should if possible give it a try. What didn't you liked about that genre ?

Kupfer

Nov 20, 2018
Still waiting for any information about the next-gen upgrade - that's the reason why I waited for the game and now it just sits in my pile of shame of unplayed ps4 games.

Jtibh

Banned
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Main reason i signed up to psnow was control.
Psnow was on sale for 50 a year and control was on sale for 30.
For 20 bucks more i've played several other titles like hitman 2 rage2 medievil spiderman etc etc.

Deffinetly a good if not the best game remedy did.
Got the platinum. Didnt understand any of the story but it was fun to play.

Still i feel 2mill for a AAA game is very low.