• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control: Ultimate Edition. Did People sleep on this?

Shmunter

Don't get me wrong i loved the game but the DualSense integration was very lackluster especially compared to first party titles. Cool if you liked it but to state it "one of the best implementations" is hyperbole at best.
Really? I loved being able to feel the tip tap of walking and the tightness of the weapon trigger etc. really elevated the package for me.

Turning it off for an a/b comparison really removed a good deal of the immersion.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Really? I loved being able to feel the tip tap of walking and the tightness of the weapon trigger etc. really elevated the package for me.

Turning it off for an a/b comparison really removed a good deal of the immersion.
It's not that it felt bad but more for the fact that it lacked complexity or variation overall.

scydrex

I liked the game on PS5. I give it a 9. The control are good. The combat is awesome. It looks really good. Short loading. I tried the RT mode but preferred the 60fps.

anthony2690

Banned
It was pretty good, let down by their shady upgrade path, as now I have the choice to continue my save on Xbox one X version off the game to play the dlc.

Or play series X version from the beginning.

I enjoyed Quantum break more as a whole, but the ashtray maze on this game is one of my fave experiences in a game :)

I gave it 2 attempts and still couldn't bring myself to finish it.
It's way too long for how little it offers.
Story reads like a 14 year old wrote it.
Level design is shite as well, Warframe's randomly generated levels are smoother to navigate and fight in than this.

KiteGr

Could have used a bigger ass on whats her face
I agree, but it looks like the characters are modeled after the actors that protray them in the live action cutscenes.
It would had been weird to have an ass-less Jesse on those, and Jessica Rabit in-game.

Certinty

Such a huge downgrade from Quantum Break. Far more boring powers, didn't require using most, worse story, less diversity in environments and what not. Such a shame.

Also you have to replay the entire game on the Ultimate Edition just to play the DLC? No thanks.

Duchess

I personally loved the game. Got the ultimate edition and went all the way to the platinum. I was absolutely transfixed by Jessie's butt, too. Couldn't take my eyes off it.

Also (ending spoiler)

Though it was a fake ending, I would actually have been okay with the negative outcome, with the Hiss having tricked Jess into helping them.

Hugare

Love Remedy, but Control was so boring

But I blame it on the budget. Made they did what they did because they didnt have much money to fully make the game that they wanted to.

The repetitive map design, for example. It's really repetitive, and you have to rely on your map over and over again in order to not get lost.

The repetitive enemy design. The repetitive encounter design.

And the story could be told in 2h, but they streeeetched it as much as they could.

Dialogue is stilted, quirky and odd just 'cause they wanted to keep you invested on the mistery of whats going on, but didnt work for me.

You have to read tons of files. I love world building, but Bioshock did it the right way: make it audio logs, so you can stay in the action.

"Let me pause the whole game for 5 minutes so I can read this shit"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't sleep on the game, I was up all night.

Hell of a game, maybe even my favorite Remedy game.

The sense of exploration and intrigue is second to none.

1rzj3u.png

Last edited:
I tried it out for free from EGS on my new PC. Not my cup of tea at all after about an hour of playing. Cool effects and the graphics are good, game is boring as shit though and the story is just not interesting.

I probably put about 12 hours into it, never finished it I think other stuff came out and I got pulled off. I love the weird journal entries and in game text describing all the weird stuff. That's right up my alley. The environments themselves were a little bland and I found myself getting lost a lot. Due to having limited time to play if i get stuck on something because of not knowing where to go I'll just play something else. I don't have time for that type of shit anymore lol. It was overall a solid game, I might go back to it to finish it up someday.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it. Thought the environmental interaction/physics from combat was cool. Some sections were a bit slow, but overall good fun.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It was ok the checkpoint system was fucked when I played it if you died from a boss i had to travel so far just to get back

kyliethicc

I'm playing it on PS5, so the loading times are small, and stutering is very rare.

The story is kind of "Men in Black" in the style of "Twin Peaks".
Things don't make sense at first. Most of the characters are weirdos. But the firther you go, the more you understand it.

The combat is very good, but could use some more enemy variety. Most of the enemies are soldiers, and those who are not are annoying to fight. It appears it wants me to constantly move, but i always get stucked in the geometry or fall off some ledge (usually to my death) whenever I try that run and gun.

The graphics are insanelly detailed, so much, that at first I would constantly look arround for clues, only to find out that most items are there to be thrown at. My only gripe is that it's often to dark, and Jesse seems to have some some cripling fear of flashlinghts.

I'm currently supposed to go beyond the maze in the Research department, and I feel I'm near the end.
Currently started doing the Alan wake DLC. I have the remaster of Alan Wake but I haven't Played it yet. Would I get spoilers if I play this DLC before it?
Very fun game.
Great art direction.
Cool surrealist story.

Highly recommend.

MiguelItUp

Game felt great and looked really cool, but it just didn't grab me. Not sure why. I got about 30%-50% through and then just stopped. Had absolutely no desire to continue.

wipeout364

Amazing game, one of my favorites from last gen. Remedy in top form. Really liked the art design and the main character. Gameplay was fantastic and the story was perfect.

Stuart360

I have literally tried to play through the game about 6 different times, but the furthest i have got is about half way.
I just find the game mind numbingly boring, pretentious, and tedious. It also has what is arguably the worst map system ever put into a game.

fatmarco

I personally loved the game. Got the ultimate edition and went all the way to the platinum. I was absolutely transfixed by Jessie's butt, too. Couldn't take my eyes off it.

Also (ending spoiler)

Though it was a fake ending, I would actually have been okay with the negative outcome, with the Hiss having tricked Jess into helping them.
Whoops misread hahaha.

Yeah that would have been cool but obviously that could never be given what was going on, in regards to whats explained in the DLC.

Last edited:

Fbh

I thought it was ok.
The visuals were really nice and the combat and powers felt great though it could have used a lot more enemy variety and better bosses.

Didn't really care for the metroidvania inspired design, going back to earlier areas was a bit annoying and there usually wasn't anything worthwhile to find, just more documents or almost inconsequential passive upgrades.
Remedy also continues to be unable to tell a compelling story without putting a ton of documents and texts in every room, and it got old really fast.

The Labyrinth part at the end was the best part, if the game had been a more linear experience with more sequences like that it would have been way better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played the PS5 version, it was very good (I love weird SCP shit, which was a huge influence on this game). Had to use the 60fps mode, quality mode felt incredibly sluggish.

Last edited:

Hugare

Remedy also continues to be unable to tell a compelling story without putting a ton of documents and texts in every room, and it got old really fast.
I'm recently playing Quantum Break and I was baffled to see how much of the story you can loose by not reading emails and other documents

I love Alan Wake, and finding pages in the game fits the narrative + never feels essential.

But in Quantum Break and Control it absolutely is, but in those, it completely breaks the pacing, since they are way more action oriented than AW.

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh

wipeout364

I am surprised at the negative response to the story. I wanted more information about this world. I really liked the files and reading the logs. I find it crazy that remedy has delivered 4 really interesting stories that are really completely different in Max Payne, Quantum Break, Alan Wake and Control they have some of the best writers and art directors in gaming.

RCU005

I liked the game so much! This has the best use of Dualsense features so far, including first party games.

KiteGr

And I've finished the main game. The ending suck monkey balls.
It's so bad, that i thought I did something wrong and got the bad ending. And no. I didn't shut it off on the fake ending. I don't know if this is sequel baiting, or they just run out of something.

Does it at least get some closure with the supposed later happened foundation Dlc?

skit_data

Good reminder, I have platinumed Control on PS4 but I only made it a bit into the UE on PS5 before I got distracted. I actually bought the season pass on PS4 but haven’t finished the AWE expansion.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Finished it this weekend, started the DLC. I have to really try hard to remember the story tbh.. the gameplay was fun and direction was great. It was good enough I am going to finish the DLC.

jonnyp

I'm playing it on PS5, so the loading times are small, and stutering is very rare.

The story is kind of "Men in Black" in the style of "Twin Peaks".
Things don't make sense at first. Most of the characters are weirdos. But the firther you go, the more you understand it.

The combat is very good, but could use some more enemy variety. Most of the enemies are soldiers, and those who are not are annoying to fight. It appears it wants me to constantly move, but i always get stucked in the geometry or fall off some ledge (usually to my death) whenever I try that run and gun.

The graphics are insanelly detailed, so much, that at first I would constantly look arround for clues, only to find out that most items are there to be thrown at. My only gripe is that it's often to dark, and Jesse seems to have some some cripling fear of flashlinghts.

I'm currently supposed to go beyond the maze in the Research department, and I feel I'm near the end.
Currently started doing the Alan wake DLC. I have the remaster of Alan Wake but I haven't Played it yet. Would I get spoilers if I play this DLC before it?

UPDATE:
And I've finished the main game. The ending suck monkey balls.
It's so bad, that i thought I did something wrong and got the bad ending. I don't know if this is sequel baiting, or they just run out of something.

Story was written on the back of a diner napkin and was mainly a load of nonsense with one of the worst endings ever.

The physics are just ok - objects have very little weight or inertia. Combat is incredibly repetitive and boring. The amount of backtracking required awful.

Sound effects - every time you run into anything it sounds like porcelain cups being thrown around.

Graphics were OK but RT mode was unplayable on PS5 for me, was just a choppy mess. Not that the RT reflections added that much anyway.

I think the thing I liked the most was the Hartman DLC.

Vandole

Loved it. One of my favorite games from last gen. The lore and the setting were just tailor-made for me for a variety of reasons. It's one of the only times I collected everything, just because I wanted to hear more radio recordings, and pick up other case files.

The DLC bored me I'm afraid, but other than that I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

Matsuchezz

The game was fun, but the story sucked! I would have replayed it if the story was really good. It did nothing for me. And i hate that a lot of the background story is told through a lot of documents. I just got tired of reading them all.

anothertech

It's fucking fantastic on next gen hardware. I played through on both.

One of the best visual masterpieces you can play at the moment.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I personally love the specter/spook type lore and mind bending stuff they do.

Have definitely recommended to all my buddies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got it for free and I played it for a while. I really didn't enjoy it all that much. Which is weird because it's exactly the kind of game I should enjoy playing.

Ozrimandias

I'm still not hooked, but Remedy developed a good proposal, I want to give it another chance. At least graphically it is beautiful, gameplay is very good, Ray tracing is excellent among other virtues. But there is something in the story that fails to appeal to me.

Justin9mm

I played Ultimate Edition on PS5.. It is at times very pretty and cool, love the kinetic mechanic, was fun throwing shit around with the destructible environments but overall it was super boring to me. I hated the map design, the enemies were shit, the gameplay loop was super repetitive and I just couldn't stick with it. I was thinking about playing other games while playing it so that's when I decided I'm going to drop it. I can see how for same people it may be their jam but it did not make me want to keep going.

Top Bottom