• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control Ultimate Edition explained

Banned
I suppose that is a notable distinction. However, what if you owned Dark Souls on the Xbox 360, like i did. Dark Souls is backwards compatible on the Xbox One. I bought Dark Souls Remastered on the Xbox One X. So I guess it just depends on where your original experience that this particular game lies.

I bought Control on a sale just like you did along with the "Foundations" DLC. However it was on PC. Therefore a double dip for me means switching platforms, which kind of takes the sting out of this announcement. I haven't played Control on console, but I can't imagine it would play better on console as far as the controls go. Still, the raytracing part and the DLC that I didn't get would probably make this purchase worth it for me for $40. My PC is running a 1070ti so no raytracing for me.

Dark Souls vs Dark Souls Remstered is also hard to compare.
the remaster of DS fixed the whole game engine, Dark Souls was, technologically speaking, a piece of software garbage.
the Remaster fixed the game and enhanced it ontop.

the next gen version of Control meanwhile will simply be a port of the PC version, which is already done.

that's why it's so hard to compare this. you don't get a remaster here, you get a straight PC port

also, with DS remastered, they didn't do this shady shit where owners of one specific bundle version get the next gen upgrade and the rest, including early adopters, who payed way more money for the same content, get fuck all, while newcomers get everything and for a lower price as well

Last edited:
The problem is they are re-selling the exact same game that people paid up to $80, changing the name and offering PS5/XSX upgrade.
No matter how you slice it or what your expectactions should be, it is just a shitty thing to do.
You bought into a closed system that was your choice. Consoles have been doing this forever. One of the reasons why PC is better.

No one deserves anything, including devs/publishers not deserving your money. A lot of the industry is built on goodwill though, and when you shit on your customers they will shit back at you. The people being shafted in this case are all those that bought the game early (and likely paid for the season pass too), which are the most likely to get the next Remedy game early. Good idea to piss them off.
No one is shitting on customers. You got what you paid for and the lot of you are just whining that you didn't get more than you paid for.

I think most people would be fine with a fee.

This also doesn’t account for Season Pass owners who have all the content that is in the Ultimate Edition, yet aren’t given the PS5/XSX upgrade. They want you to buy a game twice. They can go swim in an ocean of dicks.
Maybe a fee would be reasonable compromise.

Again closed systems. Buy a PC.

Skifi28

No one is shitting on customers. You got what you paid for and the lot of you are just whining that you didn't get more than you paid for.

I'm not sure if you are being intentionaly obtuse for the sake of it or if you have any stakes in the company. I you don't get it by now (or don't want to), there's no point continuing this further. Enjoy purchasing more games twice in the future, I'm sure more publishers will be following how this goes.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I bought the game and dlc on epic store so my 2080ti plats it reasonably well with everything turned up full, when I buy the next gpu ie 3080ti it will play it better and so on and so on etc

If remedy could I believe they would stop me being able to turn up the resolution on my next gpu.

Miles708

They didn't answer the most crucial, important, potentially deal-breaking question:

is all DLC content (including patches) on-disk, or they just printed a lousy voucher code?

Last edited:

The Shepard

I suppose that is a notable distinction. However, what if you owned Dark Souls on the Xbox 360, like i did. Dark Souls is backwards compatible on the Xbox One. I bought Dark Souls Remastered on the Xbox One X.

Can you imagine the uproar from a certain fanbase if the xbox one had a free upgrade.. I imagine the 360 version off dark souls is a very different version to the current generation one and would have had a lot of work done to it in order to get it running on the xbox one. The next gen consoles have very similar architecture to the current gen so things will be alot simpler. Most of the 360 backwards compatibility on one was done by Microsoft themselves maybe with a little bit of developer help here and there.

kiphalfton

What's the problem? Why not just wait until the game drops in price? Or play the PS4/X1 version using backwards compatibility.

Doesn't seem any different than what happened with remasters this gen.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm sorry but what absolute complete and utter bullshit. That's pissed me off enough to never buy another 505 published game.

"Various reasons" but we wont tell you any, when no other publisher is having trouble. FUCK YOU 😂

People are going to get soooooo confused if theres a Control normal SKU and Deluxe SKU on the PS5.

Honestly the platform holders should block this PS5 SKU if this is how a publisher is going to treat its customers.

Add insult to injury the base PS4 game was the one game most in need of a performance increase.

TLDR; Fuck 505 games... and Remedy too for supporting this.

Rippa

Looks like I’m gonna wait for the inevitable freebie on PS Plus or Gamepass because I’m not giving a dime to 505/Remedy.

Game of the year or not, they can shove it up their ass with broken glass.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepwalker

So I caved in and played it from a free month I had on PS now. I loved it. Want to play the DLC but will probably just wait for the PS5 version at this point.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Absolutely pathetic.

I would gladly pay for the DLC if they would upgrade my Xbone version to SeX. Not that hard.

Top Bottom