• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controller for PC

My Dualshock 4 for PC just doesn't work any more. It turns off after a few seconds, I can't do it wired because it's at the point where no micro-USB will fit comfortably in it.

What should I do? I realize a 360 controller works natively more often with PC gaming but then I'm wondering why is THIS so cheap?

Is there something wrong with it? Is the build quality lackluster in some way? Top rated review shits all over it but largely people like it. I want a wired controller that doesn't suck but also doesn't cost a ridiculous amount. I could go Dualshock 4 again but the thing with DS 4 is despite my love of how it feels I find it tends to destroy micro-USB cables, this means years of replacing the cable before finally the connector in the controller itself is messed up and now even a new micro-USB won't work in it or at least only will so long as you NEVER move the controller. Plus I want to avoid the hassle DS4 sometimes provides relating to PC compatibility.

Part of me wants to just buy a controller and find out after but I'd rather make the wisest purchasing decision I can. Can anyone help? Does anyone have suggestions for controllers I can get from Amazon, Gamestop or anywhere else that are well priced but not crap?

This looks like what I want but I want to get second opinions, are either of the two I linked better? Are there better choices than even them?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What should I do? I realize a 360 controller works natively more often with PC gaming but then I'm wondering why is THIS so cheap?

Because it's a generic knock-off, if you don't mind using them, there's hundreds to choose from, and they don't have to be Xbox-shaped.

I'd just spend the extra money and get a real one. They're generally cheaper on eBay new-in-box than they are elsewhere.

Because it's a generic knock-off, if you don't mind using them, there's hundreds to choose from, and they don't have to be Xbox-shaped.

I'd just spend the extra money and get a real one. They're generally cheaper on eBay new-in-box than they are elsewhere.

How can you guys even tell which ones are legit?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How can you guys even tell which ones are legit?

The price is the main giveaway, but no "X" in the big middle button is also a big tell. Also the seller. Also, I'm pretty sure they stopped selling new 360 pads a long time ago.

Oh, and the broken English across the descriptions.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Banned
If you want the best compatibility, then Xbox One controller is the best one. If you mainly play your games through Steam, then I also can recommend Switch Pro Controller.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us what you dont like aboux Xone controller?

EDIT. You could have waited a bit longer before your purchase. Logitech F310 it super average controller, nothing stands out about it. Whats great about PC gaming is that you can use pretty much any controller you want. Im certain you could find controller that would suit you better.

Last edited:
If you want the best compatibility, then Xbox One controller is the best one. If you mainly play your games through Steam, then I also can recommend Switch Pro Controller.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us what you dont like aboux Xone controller?

Stick placement, how loose the sticks feel and their dead zones, the bumpers. 360 controller is far superior, so is Dualshock 4.

AV

Also, if anyone's looking in this thread with money to burn, the Xbox Elite Series 2 might be kinda ridiculously expensive, but it's by far the nicest feeling controller I've ever used.

JimboJones

If you want to go DS4 again you could try getting one of those micro usb "magsafe" cables.
Basically plug the micro USB adapter in once and then you rely on the magnet cable to charge, it prevents wear as you don't need to remove the micro usb portion and and sitting the cable at stressful angle will usually disconnect it.
Only downside is your reliant on the cable and if you lose it then you gotta buy another and they aren't as cheap as regular micro USB cables.

Or just buy a XboxOne/SeriesX controller 😬

Yeah, Xbox 1 controller is not something I'm a fan of, not sure why I keep getting recc'd it. It's just the 360 controller if that controller was worse, with less responsive bumpers, annoying control stick dead zones/placement, etc.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’m using a smaller sized Xbox 360 controller form 10+ years ago, still working like the day I got it.

i have newer controllers but they all give me issues (sticky trigger from a 3p one, Bluetooth fuck ups with official one, trigger just breaking on a different 3p one).

Soodanim

Gold Member
I bought a new battery for my DS4 because I'm 100% happy with it. Don't help your microUSB port issue, though.

I hated the Elite, just for some perspective on whether or not everyone loves that controller. I don't like Xbox controllers in general, they're so clicky. There's no need for it.

I'd buy a new DS4, especially as they seem to be dropping in price (some places) to clear stock for PS5.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Banned
Yeah, Xbox 1 controller is not something I'm a fan of, not sure why I keep getting recc'd it. It's just the 360 controller if that controller was worse, with less responsive bumpers, annoying control stick dead zones/placement, etc.
Less responsive bumpers? Analog sticks dead zones? Did we use the same controller? Which version of Xbox one controller did you use? Because there were multiple refreshes. The first one had indeed problems with bumpers, but they fixed it.

Trumpeter

Neo Member
I use an Xbox one controller for PC gaming. I got it when I bought a Rift package some years ago.

It's okay. I think the PS4 controller is way better though. Much better buttons and d-pad.

When on this subject, I never understood why people complained that the PS4 controller is 'for small hands'. You dont have to push the controller into your palm. It's much more comfortable to hold it with your fingers.

HE1NZ

Banned
I've held the very first Xbox One controllers and they had some issues (bumpers didn't work sometimes). They fixed all of these a long time ago. Just find any version with a headphones jack, it should be perfect.

Last edited:

me0wish

Unpopular opinion, but I love the Duke Xbox controller, I didn't like it back then as a kid, and I bought it out of curiosity and because I love collecting controllers.

I finished Mario Sunshine with it and I thought it felt great, it has overtaken the Switch pro controller as my main controller, at least for now.

Rikkori

Imo if you don't want the gyro from another DS4/DS, or don't like Xbox's one for whatever reason, then go with 8bitdo Sn30 pro+. It's a REALLY solid controller & works well on PC.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Imo if you don't want the gyro from another DS4/DS, or don't like Xbox's one for whatever reason, then go with 8bitdo Sn30 pro+. It's a REALLY solid controller & works well on PC.

I had one of these for a few days, and I also got their adapter to match. I eventually sent them both back for a few reasons:
  • They use their own software, which is good for some but I wasn't a fan
  • Related to above, drivers on PC tend to catch all and mess with other programs you might want to use, and doesn't play that nicely with Steam
  • Loud buttons (going back to my previous post ITT, I don't like it)
The controller itself is quite comfortable, although the mix of flat SNES part and curved modern part took some getting used to.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've held the very first Xbox One controllers and they had some issues (bumpers didn't work sometimes). They fixed all of these a long time ago. Just find any version with a headphones jack, it should be perfect.
The one that has the jack is the latest model?

I'll probably go and buy one today if that's the case. I love playing with headphones, and I love connecting my PC to the TV, so having both options at once would be awesome.

Stuart360

Dont buy that controller, its cheap and sucks, i have one lol.
Just but a proper XB1 controller, the best PC controller imo, and no need to worry about compatability.

MiguelItUp

There are a ton of fake 360 controllers out there with tempting price tags. The best thing to do IMO, is just buy a proper XB1 controller. I have that and a PS4 controller to use on PC and they've both lasted quite awhile.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I use a cheap magnetic cable for my DS4 so I won't wear the port/cable out, try that. It nicely came with micro usb and usb c ends so I can use the same cable for my phone or whatever too without switching out the ends.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I have an original Xbox 360 controller for PC I still use. Slight drag on left stick but I don't like the XB1 controller I have. The XSX controllers actually look like a worthy replacement and I will probably pick one of those up.

Jeeves

This looks like what I want but I want to get second opinions, are either of the two I linked better? Are there better choices than even them?
This is what I have, and I've since bought a second one. It's awesome and exactly like a 360 controller if I compare it side by side with the real thing, except it's a little more lightweight and the cord is rather short. I bought some USB extension cords for them.

It's what I landed on after being disappointed to find actual 360 controllers were no longer easy to get, not wanting to spend on a One controller, and being disappointed with the Amazon Basics brand One knockoff (buttons sticking, stick calibration out of whack).

you guys are going to make me turn this thread into a thread where we come together in hatred of the Xbox one controller I need to know other people like me hate it. And to be clear I've tried multiple different designs of it I own like four of them but they're all wireless and I don't feel like buying anything to connect it to my computer because I don't enjoy using it on an Xbox one as it is. I have also used the elite version because my cousins have that one but I would never spend money on that because to me it has the exact same problems. I feel like you guys aren't getting the bumpers complaint I'm saying my problem is how hard it is to push them in it's not that they're actually sticking or something it's that they're designed to have more resistance than bumper controllers on a dualshock 4 and it's really annoying. Stick placement is more of a problem than the dead zones I just can't tell what's giving me issues sometimes is it how floaty they feel or is it the dead zones whichever it is they feel like crap and I don't like the way they're placed. the 360 controller was essentially a perfect controller I'm not sure why they downgraded. oh my problem is definitely not the size of my hands I have bigger hands than most people do honestly I was one of those people who actually like the original Xbox controller back in the day the thing is with the dualshock 4 you just don't hold it in the palm of your hands like someone else said. You grip it at the edges so it doesn't matter how big it is.

jonnyXx

you guys are going to make me turn this thread into a thread where we come together in hatred of the Xbox one controller I need to know other people like me hate it. And to be clear I've tried multiple different designs of it I own like four of them but they're all wireless and I don't feel like buying anything to connect it to my computer because I don't enjoy using it on an Xbox one as it is. I have also used the elite version because my cousins have that one but I would never spend money on that because to me it has the exact same problems. I feel like you guys aren't getting the bumpers complaint I'm saying my problem is how hard it is to push them in it's not that they're actually sticking or something it's that they're designed to have more resistance than bumper controllers on a dualshock 4 and it's really annoying. Stick placement is more of a problem than the dead zones I just can't tell what's giving me issues sometimes is it how floaty they feel or is it the dead zones whichever it is they feel like crap and I don't like the way they're placed. the 360 controller was essentially a perfect controller I'm not sure why they downgraded. oh my problem is definitely not the size of my hands I have bigger hands than most people do honestly I was one of those people who actually like the original Xbox controller back in the day the thing is with the dualshock 4 you just don't hold it in the palm of your hands like someone else said. You grip it at the edges so it doesn't matter how big it is.
You should cancel your F310 order then. The sticks on that have a really wide deadzone. I tried it at a friend's and I'm honestly shocked how many recommendations it gets.

Soodanim

Gold Member
never mind actually we need to go after these people who like the pro controllers for switch and Wii u they're the worst
I like my Wii U Pro, it's my backup when when my DS4 dies. Battery life of several centuries and simple connection with a Mayflash adapter gets it recognised as a 360 controller, so it's plug and play. Bonus points for not having d-pad issues like I've heard about with the Switch Pro

You should cancel your F310 order then. The sticks on that have a really wide deadzone. I tried it at a friend's and I'm honestly shocked how many recommendations it gets.
I wonder if that's something that can be remedied with software. Most config programs out there have anti-deadzone settings these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom