• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

wvnative

Wii U AND Vita are awful devices that deserved to bomb and I am glad they did.

I'm also glad dedicated handheld's are dead.

The video game crash is way overblown. I don't even think that's an opinion, just objective fact. First of all, it literally only affected the North American market. Japan and Europe were just fine. Secondly, it was only home consoles. Arcades were still successful, and the home computer market was actually thriving during this time. And third, it only lasted two years. People act like it was some huge deal in which gaming was in trouble of dying forever, but it really wasn't. It definitely would have lasted a little longer if not for the NES, but it would have eventually recovered regardless.

GTAV is overrated and the worst cash grab game in the franchise, every character is unlikable, literally, everyone. The player base are 13 yo crying for mom to buy more shark cards.

RDR2 is great.....when you play John Marston, rest of the game feels like a chore, honestly, R* is a company that'll sell a fart, and the sheep will buy it. This company is just as bad as EA and CDPR and no one is talking about it.

BOTW is a big map of boredom, no dungeons, stupid weapon system, no real enemy variety, lack of a narrative, too open for its own good. Quite simply the only Zelda game that angered me after I bought it because it's soooo boring. Skyward Sword HD is the best 3D Zelda game on Switch, not this garbage.

Sports games are for man children who claims they're "Gamers" but know nothing of videogames and spend countless money on players they'll play again the following year smh the sports gaming community are just....... dumb. You can argue they're the reason micro transactions won't go away, look at Madden, Fifa and 2K for example

COD and Fortnite are reasons why I'll never play shooters online, again the community is full of annoying YouTubers and Chad bros hyping up a boring game that's literally a reskin every year which makes those games unplayable

Umbasaborne

Banned
It will never happen, but I would be fine if nintendo was bought by sony or microsoft. Id love to be able to officially play their games on powerful hardware. A new 3d mario game in 4k would be the tits.

n64 controller is legit good.

probably the best analog stick for fine control due to it's weight/resistance and sensitivity (e.g., there's a reason n64 3rd person adventure games felt so good).
also, when holding the analog stick and z button, it's like a pistol grip, and the placement of the rumble pack (which is unique to controllers) gives a kind of "blow back" sensation.

MacReady13

Not too sure if this is controversial but I really wish Nintendo would compete in an "arms" race with Sony/Microsoft with power in their consoles. Fuck the handheld bullshit- just gives us an all powerful Nintendo console capable of 4k/120 and with 4k Blu Ray drive like the PS5/Series X has. With the Nintendo franchises plus major 3rd parties on board I'd seriously have no reason to own any other console but the Nintendo console!

Mr.ODST

Star Wars Galaxies is probably one of the best and unqiue games to of ever released and sony absolutely fucked it up, ill never forgive them for what they did to that game

Last edited:

Banned
Not too sure if this is controversial but I really wish Nintendo would compete in an "arms" race with Sony/Microsoft with power in their consoles. Fuck the handheld bullshit- just gives us an all powerful Nintendo console capable of 4k/120 and with 4k Blu Ray drive like the PS5/Series X has. With the Nintendo franchises plus major 3rd parties on board I'd seriously have no reason to own any other console but the Nintendo console!

I don't think this is controversial,
the issue with this is that the GameCube has shown that third party games are not guaranteed to come to the system just because it's easy to use and has Nintendo franchises on it.
Nintendo has had an issue with attracting third party publishers to their system ever since the N64

If such a Nintendo system would not be the #1 selling system, third party devs would still often ignore it, because Nintendo users have a reputation that they don't buy big third party games as much as other console users.
and one of the reasons Nintendo is #1 at the moment is the uniqueness of their system and the lowest price on the market. a powerhouse home system would break both of these selling points, making it a huge risk for Nintendo

Last edited:

MacReady13

I don't think this is controversial,
the issue with this is that the GameCube has shown that third party games are not guaranteed to come to the system just because it's easy to use and has Nintendo franchises on it.
Nintendo has had an issue with attracting third party publishers to their system ever since the N64

If such a Nintendo system would not be the #1 selling system, third party devs would still often ignore it, because Nintendo users have a reputation that they don't buy big third party games as much as other console users.
and one of the reasons Nintendo is #1 at the moment is the uniqueness of their system and the lowest price on the market. a powerhouse home system would break both of these selling points, making it a huge risk for Nintendo
I'd still love a really powerful Nintendo console again. I can only imagine a 4K Zelda or Mario 3D platformer with power behind it. A man can dream...

Doom85

Breath of the Wild is a 8/10 for me. Weapon durability was a major issue for me (I understand if others didn’t mind though) and overall while I like open world games, I think I prefer the more traditional Zeldas. Wind Waker is still my favorite followed by Twilight Princess.

Last of Us Part 2 is a 9/10 for me (first game is a 10). There were a few story elements that could have been handled better but nothing too major.

I had a blast with Resident Evil 3 Remake, and the new Jill still looks hot (only a controversial take on this site though, her number of entries on a certain site with, err, “art” *cough* shows the vast majority fans agree she’s still pretty damn fine). Also, I’d rather they do remakes of 0 and Code Veronica next as those games could benefit far more from potential improvements than 4 as 4 is practically perfect in my book.

The Wii U and Vita were flawed but still had a fun library (which got reinforced when plenty of their games got ported to Switch and PS4).

I had a really good time with Final Fantasy XIII despite its flaws. XV on the other hand disappointed me so much and I had to quit halfway through the game.

Tales from the Borderlands is the best TellTale game to me. Walking Dead Season 1 is a strong 2nd place, but Tales is the king IMHO.

Couldn’t enjoy Xenoblade 1 that much. World and music were great, but the battle system wasn’t engaging to me and most of the cast didn’t grab my interest.

Persona 4 is still the best in the series to me.

Souls games need a difficulty level option.
What they need is properly placed bonfires. No game, I'm not going to run a few minutes just to get slaughtered by the Capra Demon within seconds again.

I do not understand the hype around the Xenoblade games.

Flat characters
Weeell I don't know about that.

pyra-mythra.original.jpg

Last edited:

Vognerful

Popularity of indie exclusives is overblown just because they have a tag of PS5/XSX on them.

latest examples: Kena & Ascent.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The Last of Us is completely overrated and plays terribly.

Halo 2 is not fun, especially campaign wise.

Breath of the wild is among the top 5 worst Zelda games.

Gears 3 is among top 5 best shooters ever made.

FF7 wasn't good til the remake.

Every mainline Souls Game, including Bloodborne, would be better if From didn't make them.

Vognerful

After buying a PC in last December and playing my games on it, I found that locking yourself to a console is the worst thing possible. Especially Sony and Nintendo.

Vognerful

The Last of Us is completely overrated and plays terribly.

Halo 2 is not fun, especially campaign wise.

Breath of the wild is among the top 5 worst Zelda games.

Gears 3 is among top 5 best shooters ever made.

FF7 wasn't good til the remake.

Every mainline Souls Game, including Bloodborne, would be better if From didn't make them.
Absolutely true.

Bartski

Gold Member
I do have an opinion but not sure if this thread comes with console warring ban immunity, as it might sound like violating the sticky

Rykan

Open world games are the wallmart of video games and are strictly quanitity over quality. These games trade excellent gameplay mechanics, responsiveness, level design and pacing for an open world where the only goal is to make it look "real and believable". These games constantly advertised how long they are but the only reason they are of this length is because the game is filled up with travel filler content.

These games are filled with boring fetch tasks that tell you to move from one location to the next simply by holding the control stick in the right direction (Or pressing the right WASD key if you're on PC) until you get to that location. There are no traversal challenges because the world wasn't designed with gameplay in mind: Only to make it look pretty.

I also firmly believe that open world games are cut an enormous amount of slack simply for being open world. Can you imagine having a normal, linear action game control the way a Rockstar games character does? The game would receive 2/10 all over the place. Oh, but it's in an open world game, so bad gameplay mechanics and controls are excused becase "ThE WoRlD FeEls So ReAl".

The popularity of open World gaming is the worst thing that happened to gaming.

CthulhuPL

- every jrpg is gay
- xsx is overall a better console and a better proposition for customer than ps5
- gran turismo and kazunori yamauchi are shite for stagnation and should be fired and the game deleted (bring back driveclub and motorstorm)
- killzone 2 multiplayer is the best console mp ever with bf2:bc close second
- sony is arrogant again just like during ps3 time
- nintendo should make gamecube 2 along with switch and be a solid third contender amongst stationary consoles
- dreamcast was the best console ever made
- new god of wars are much better than the old ones
- i liked tlou2
- medal of honor 2010 with its both sp and mp is the best "modern warfare" shooter, better than cod shit.

Last edited:

Loope

Open world games are the wallmart of video games and are strictly quanitity over quality. These games trade excellent gameplay mechanics, responsiveness, level design and pacing for an open world where the only goal is to make it look "real and believable". These games constantly advertised how long they are but the only reason they are of this length is because the game is filled up with travel filler content.

These games are filled with boring fetch tasks that tell you to move from one location to the next simply by holding the control stick in the right direction (Or pressing the right WASD key if you're on PC) until you get to that location. There are no traversal challenges because the world wasn't designed with gameplay in mind: Only to make it look pretty.

I also firmly believe that open world games are cut an enormous amount of slack simply for being open world. Can you imagine having a normal, linear action game control the way a Rockstar games character does? The game would receive 2/10 all over the place. Oh, but it's in an open world game, so bad gameplay mechanics and controls are excused becase "ThE WoRlD FeEls So ReAl".

The popularity of open World gaming is the worst thing that happened to gaming.
I think the same about cinematic experiences games.

NikuNashi

Gamepass is a bait and switch due to it's unsustainability.

Uncharted is an awful game due to it's hand holding and annoying companions barking orders constantly.

After the original Halo the series was one and done.

Romulus

There hasn't been a single capativing game made in the last 3 years outside of VR. Everything is a rehash of 2010s gaming, with slightly shinier visuals.

Retro_V486

The Resident Evil I liked the most was 5.
The only good Zelda games are A Link to The Past and Breath of the Wild.
E-sports are pointless.
Console warring is stupid.
Gaming is a hobby. If you call it a "life style" or spend most of your time in it without having a career in the industry I assume you're a loser.

Most games nowadays are fucking boring and just feels like a big waste of time. It's that or I'm just growing out of them.

To be honest, the only company trying to keep gaming focused on games is Xbox. Sony is all about the big blockbusters AAA cinematic experience, Nintendo only cares about two franchises and doesn't give a shit anymore about what fans want. A least Xbox found a way for people to play their games in a easy way, and they try to keep their games gamey (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
You might argue that I'm growing out of some gaming cliches and styles but the risk aversion AAA trend is making all games the same boring safe trash. New world being the best seller it is is a disgrace for interesting games, it's the blandest, safest AAA production I've ever seen.

Top Bottom