• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

captainpat

I'm pretty meh on most of Doom 2016's soundtrack. BFG Division and At Doom's Gate are bangers but the rest of the soundtracks is kind of forgettable to me. Weird cause Doom Eternal soundtrack is easily in my top five videogame soundtracks.

lils

starcraft is not an RTS. strategy is the long-term plan to win the war, whereas the plan to achieve a specific end is tactics. there is no strategy at all in the game, it is all about trying to win one battle that lasts about 10 minutes. so it is tactics at most, but really not even that because apart from the pro level, games are almost exclusively won based on how good you are at "macro" (basically being good at the mechanics of the game), with actual tactics only really the tie breaker in case both players have equal macro. people have tried this, you can win the game using only marines mindlessly rallying them to the front, as long as you have good macro, and this works up to quite high leagues.

the campaign is different, there is some strategy there because you have to pick your upgrades and what order you do the missions in, but let's face it, multiplayer is the main thing

I don't like Final Fantasy at all. I get the appeal but the games personally don't do anything for me. I really tried to get in to it, but I just accepted that the genre and style of games is not really my thing.

zokie

if pokemon games have taken a chibi form ( Diamond Pearl remakes )
People on twitter should stop complaining cos it doesn't change anything , just dun buy and also dun play the game

Last edited:

Brofist

I don't like Final Fantasy at all. I get the appeal but the games personally don't do anything for me. I really tried to get in to it, but I just accepted that the genre and style of games is not really my thing.
I used to like FF games but it feels like the recent ones are just riding on the name and success of the older ones.

Roberts

I always get laughed at when I say that Crackdown 3 is dumb superfun and Sea of Thieves is one of the most important games from the previous gen. But controversial? Naughty Dog may be tech wizards but their games haven’t been good in a decade.

MrFunSocks

Banned
At the moment even suggesting that Halo 5 had some good things ghat you wish carried across to Halo Infinite gets you labelled as a troll and a Sony fanboy scared of xbox.

Hunnybun

I feel like the idea that, for example, Bloodborne, is an RPG, is just weird, and totally at odds with what always seemed to be understood by the term.

Doesn't that just miss the point of what RPGs actually are?? I don't think they were defined by the fact you customised a character, levelled up etc. That's part of it, but it's not the essence.

The essence to me was that you were on a long quest, and that was driven by the ability to get deeply involved in the world and its characters. They're the original interactive stories, really.

The Souls etc games are action games, but just very complicated ones. The deep mechanics are part of that, but when those same mechanics were pioneered in RPGs, that was done to REPLACE the element of action, since everything was turn based.

I feel like this is something that's just intuitively obvious, but that everyone's been convinced to ignore by this faulty leap in logic: all RPGs have levelling up mechanics, therefore all games with those mechanics are RPGs.

N30RYU

What happens when a game have a ton of preorders beforehand... that devs get money early on and don't feel the need to polish the game that much since it's already sold...

The same applies to gamepass and that's why almost all MS first party games get that average metacritic score since devs doesn't need to work that hard to sell a game.

Also, when you get a game for "free" you aren't salty if the game turns out to be bad

That's why I think gamepass is good for casual gamers... but that model is shit for the hardcore ones since the quality of the games in the service are gonna be lower than the one a dev have to put effort to sell it for $70

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm pretty meh on most of Doom 2016's soundtrack. BFG Division and At Doom's Gate are bangers but the rest of the soundtracks is kind of forgettable to me. Weird cause Doom Eternal soundtrack is easily in my top five videogame soundtracks.

I actually agree with this, Doom 2016 with Eternal's OST would be :messenger_ok:

It probably wouldn't go down well with the Fortnite playerbase but I think Realm Royale is a much more fun relaxed game. It shares a similar art style but feels far more fair and not as reliant on building. Overall I think the game is better and doesn't feel as frustrating when you die. So I personally prefer it by a lot. The loot system, mounting horses and becoming a chicken when you die are also some nice touches I think. I've actually got myself up a few times because of the chicken mechanic and juking out other players.

I feel like the idea that, for example, Bloodborne, is an RPG, is just weird, and totally at odds with what always seemed to be understood by the term.

Doesn't that just miss the point of what RPGs actually are?? I don't think they were defined by the fact you customised a character, levelled up etc. That's part of it, but it's not the essence.

The essence to me was that you were on a long quest, and that was driven by the ability to get deeply involved in the world and its characters. They're the original interactive stories, really.

The Souls etc games are action games, but just very complicated ones. The deep mechanics are part of that, but when those same mechanics were pioneered in RPGs, that was done to REPLACE the element of action, since everything was turn based.

I feel like this is something that's just intuitively obvious, but that everyone's been convinced to ignore by this faulty leap in logic: all RPGs have levelling up mechanics, therefore all games with those mechanics are RPGs.
I mean the concept of a role playing game sounds very generic, playing a role is what you do in most games. Of course it connects back to tabletop RPG’s. I don’t think an RPG has to be turn based, are modern Bethesda games RPG’s? You can define these terms how you want, but for me, your definition of being on a long quest getting deeply involved in the world and its characters fits with the Souls games pretty well.

Hunnybun

I mean the concept of a role playing game sounds very generic, playing a role is what you do in most games. Of course it connects back to tabletop RPG’s. I don’t think an RPG has to be turn based, are modern Bethesda games RPG’s? You can define these terms how you want, but for me, your definition of being on a long quest getting deeply involved in the world and its characters fits with the Souls games pretty well.

I'm not saying they have to be turn-based; I'm saying they were.

I totally disagree with that assessment of the Souls games. I've played a couple and as far as I can see they make almost no effort to involve you in a story: right from the start the focus is on action for action's sake.

Basically, I think Zelda and something like Final Fantasy are essentially the same type of games, and the Souls games are totally different.

'Ludonarrative Dissonance' might be a pretentious sounding phrase, but it's putting name to a very real feeling that makes it difficult for me to enjoy a lot of narrative driven games.

The Uncharted series is probably the best example of this. In the narrative, Nathan Drake is a obviously competent adventurer, but displays an 'awe-shucks' attitude and would rather avoid violence. However, in the gameplay, he most be the single most accomplished killer that the world has ever seen. His body count must be in the quadruple digits.

My mind just cannot reconcile this stuff

I'm not saying they have to be turn-based; I'm saying they were.

I totally disagree with that assessment of the Souls games. I've played a couple and as far as I can see they make almost no effort to involve you in a story: right from the start the focus is on action for action's sake.

Basically, I think Zelda and something like Final Fantasy are essentially the same type of games, and the Souls games are totally different.
I agree they don’t make you participate in the story, they make you discover it yourself if you’re interested in digging through the clues. Personally i hate when games tell you the story, i want to experience it, and i think the souls formula is a natural evolution of the cutscene approach borrowed from cinema. I couldn’t disagree more with your perspective, but this is an unpopular opinion thread, so right on!

Idk if I'm bumping the right thread but here's my newest take aways.

I gave Control like 3 or so hours. I just don't like it. Everything from all guns being a pistol to bodies exploding in purple dust. I simultaneously appreciate the mystery of what's going on but also don't care. It's crazy. It makes me just think I'd rather be playing Max Payne.The atmosphere and production values are good I'll admit.

Also Forza Horizon 5 just doesn't grab me. Just staring at the back of the car meandering to the next objective I felt my life wasting away.

Maybe VR is spoiling me. Deep in the back of my head I'm hoping for a VR mode in Forza and I'll go balls deep and get a racing wheel. Siting at my desk with a controller just isn't vibing with me.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The vast majority of video games have terrible writing and dumb storylines that wouldn't even make a successful pitch in a movie or TV studio. Video games is where filmmaker wannabe rejects end up torturing us with their drivel (think David Cage or Hideo Kojima).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pc gaming is a pain in the ass and not worth the hassle over just palying games (that said I am a pc gamer lol). It's not even about the price but just nothing ever working right.
Forza 3,4,5 all suck the same way. The dick sucking cringe festival and random races structure.
Doom Eternal is much worse than 2016

Jennings

The latter half of Halo Combat Evolved is monotonous, repetitive, seemingly formless & colorless, and goes on far too long.

arvfab

Banned
- After having platinumed it, I can say that Deathloop is overhyped and the review scores are way off. It's not a bad game, but it's surely nowhere near the masterpiece status some want to make it seem.

- I'm currently playing Prey (the latest one), going in expecting the underrated gem I've heard and read about, but I found the weakest of Arkanes games (that I played) instead.

Shut0wen

Cant stand uncharted series because they are incredibly clunky, i appreciate what they did with cinematic games and creating a trend butt man characters are shit and so is the plot they are nothing more then just indiana jones find artifacts and beat the bad guy much prefered the 4th game for being fluid but couldnt keep my interest enough to finish it.

I hate nintendo for how expensive there games are

Ps2 and 3 are the worst consoles of all time followed by the xbox one being 3rd

Fallout 4 is the worst game in the series

Witcher 3 for an rpg has amazing interactions with npcs but the rest is awful major step down from witcher 2

Gta franchise is one of the most boring franchises of all time only thing i like about those games is the writing and characters but gameplay wise its boring af

I have a love hate relationship with nintendo for tryna be innovative, some games its works great but its the reason we havnt had another f zero and on rails star fox game but they were ok with the prime serious for never really changing, same with donkey kong country returns series

kuncol02

Banned
Cant stand uncharted series because they are incredibly clunky, i appreciate what they did with cinematic games and creating a trend butt man characters are shit and so is the plot they are nothing more then just indiana jones find artifacts and beat the bad guy much prefered the 4th game for being fluid but couldnt keep my interest enough to finish it.

I hate nintendo for how expensive there games are

Ps2 and 3 are the worst consoles of all time followed by the xbox one being 3rd

Fallout 4 is the worst game in the series

Witcher 3 for an rpg has amazing interactions with npcs but the rest is awful major step down from witcher 2

Gta franchise is one of the most boring franchises of all time only thing i like about those games is the writing and characters but gameplay wise its boring af

I have a love hate relationship with nintendo for tryna be innovative, some games its works great but its the reason we havnt had another f zero and on rails star fox game but they were ok with the prime serious for never really changing, same with donkey kong country returns series
I think you are posting in wrong thread.

Oh easily my opinion that Naughty Dog games have horrible shooting / gameplay, and that Halo gun play feels prehistoric next to other modern shooters.

I know I’m hating Sony and Microsoft darlings despite owning both systems but I can’t help what my brain feels when playing those games.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Oh easily my opinion that Naughty Dog games have horrible shooting / gameplay, and that Halo gun play feels prehistoric next to other modern shooters.

I know I’m hating Sony and Microsoft darlings despite owning both systems but I can’t help what my brain feels when playing those games.
I agree with both statements anf halo peaked at 3 in terms of qameplay and should of ended at that point

Yamisan

Breath of the Wild is trash and only popular for its name. Graphics were dated at launch but still praised, combat and weapon system is horrible and lack of a story. Most Assassins Creed games do overworld stuff better.

Top Bottom