• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Opinion – PS4 case and control design seems rushed and cheap

The only cheap/rushed point I can agree on is the thumbstick material, which I haven't had issues with yet but can see/feel it being an issue relatively early in the life of the system.

Everything else either I have had zero encounters with (fan, and it's in an entertainment center) or I don't care/easily 'fix' (lightbar/charge cable).

KillGore

Anything that paints the ps4 in a bad light is like throwing a petrol can onto a fire

a bad xbox thread..you could strangle kittens put them though a mincer then shove them up your ass and nobody would blink

Edit
nice threadshitting
Felsparrow
phip3

Oh man, you lost all credibility with this post. To me at least.

Return your PS4 then

The only cheap/rushed point I can agree on is the thumbstick material, which I haven't had issues with yet but can see/feel it being an issue relatively early in the life of the system.

Everything else either I have had zero encounters with (fan, and it's in an entertainment center) or I don't care/easily 'fix' (lightbar/charge cable).

I completely agree about thumbsticks, but yeah, everything else is kind of exaggerated. Maybe I would feel that battery life is an issue, but I have 2 controllers and one of them is always being charged.

In fact anything about the case is just crazy. They had to spend a lot of time designing that box. The power brick being inside is still shocking to me.

owlbeak

I don't get people complaining about their PS4 being loud. I have not been able to hear mine at all (and yes, the fans are working), even during games of Killzone Shadow Fall or BF4, the system is whisper quiet.

Sounds like maybe you have a bad fan or your systems are not placed in a properly ventilated area. I've had no noise issues, so I find this strange.

I've read the OP and have a question: Do people really still put consoles in tv cabinets with doors? I thought it was really obvious that ventilation would be an issue with the door closed.

Probably. Personally I view it as a design issue not a stupid user issue. If you make a living room box you need to design it to be placed in a standard entertainment center. One should always consider the worst case usage scenario when designing anything.

nope, controller feels amazing.

The console material feels a little cheap but i dont care, i won't be touching it. It looks great and that's all that matters. Sony did right.

ShapeGSX

I don't get people complaining about their PS4 being loud. I have not been able to hear mine at all (and yes, the fans are working), even during games of Killzone Shadow Fall or BF4, the system is whisper quiet.

Is it cold or warm where you are? The OP is in Australia, where it is summer.

daveo42

Banned
I think the only issue that I agree on right now with the OP is the thumbsticks. I haven't had really bad wear, but it is noticeable. I haven't had any issues you've stated, including the fan. Are you sure it's not the disc drive you may be hearing? You could have a faulty unit and that's causing the excessive noise.

You have to remember as well, Microsoft put what looks like a stock heatsink and fan in their unit and looks more like what a normal PC looks like. Sony went with another blower to keep air moving past the heatsink, which can generate more volume, but works better in directing hot air out the back of the console. Sound-wise, the worst think I've heard is from the disc drive when installing a game. The air coming our of our central air unit makes more noise than my PS4.

nope, controller feels amazing.

The console material feels a little cheap but i dont care, i won't be touching it. It looks great and that's all that matters. Sony did right.

Thank you. Who cares about the build quality when your not even touching it. The PS4 isn't a smartphone that you have to rest your hands on daily, that you have to worry if it fall, will it break etc. It sits there, turns on and turns off. Seriously, this whole thread is complaining about trival stuff. I mean what?

I could understand the controller but what? And BTW, I have a Besta combination from Ikea and my PS4 fits perfectly square Dead in the piece with absolutely no problem. I don't know why yours is so complicated.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why are people so freaked out by the sound of a fucking fan doing it's job? While I do agree that the Xbone feels a lot better in terms of construction and that the PS4 does feel cheap in comparison, I don't really give a shit about the fan. It is quieter than my GTX 670 in the PC sitting next to it.

I am starting to thing that there is a market for a ps4 extender. I.e. a device that lets you put your PS4 in another room so you don't have to whine about the fucking fans. A vita TV without any real hardware in it, just video and controller extension.

I rub my man parts quite often. If I use my DS4 at approximately 75% of this rate, how long will my sticks remain firm and untarnished?

Marceles

Talk about nitpicking, just put your console in its place and leave it be.

"I couldn't help but notice when I put my console down, there was a 1/4 cm smudge on the right corner of the console, while my OTHER console..."

I haven't even heard my PS4 fan yet. The only thing I've heard is the beep sound when you first turn it on and the disc spinning during the one time you start up a disc game.

Skenzin

Banned
Dualshock 4 is the second greatest controller I have ever used, second only to the N64 controller. I can go a full "day", 8hrs and still not need a charge.

As for the console, well, 350 quid for the most powerful console on the planet? Corners cut shocker. Fans aint that bad.

Gonna have to disagree on both counts tbh.

Also, a 3 metre usb cable is like 2.99.

super_disbelief_gif.gif

Oppo

I'm surprised about the battery life of the controller. My Vita has a freaking screen and may just last longer.

No the Vita does not last longer.

Vita goes for about 3-4h. DS4 goes for 7-8 hours.

Now that the USB ports stay lit up while it's in standby, it's a non issue. I never change batteries. I just swap controllers when I walk into the room.

Has the OP tried laying the PS4 horizontally? It does run quieter in that position, in my experience. The cabinet concerns are unfounded though.

I am still trying to figure out the unholy hell people are doing to their controllers. 3-4 hours of Warframe almost daily since launch, and using it for PCSX2 and my sticks are perfectly fine. No flaking, degradation, nothing silly like that.

I know right. I don't disbelieve some of these people, esp for minor flaking, but some of that stuff looked like biting and large fingernail scratches. Seriously man, how and the hell do you get a large piece of this rubber to suddenly break off? It is still a material that is somewhat durable. You would have to try REALLY hard to gouge something that deep. In fact, it really does make me think that for whatever reason they are lying about those things or simply mistreated them.

I mean I should have problems going on 50 hours in here. I did have one on the R1 of the console controller. That was sent back and fixed. But nothing so far on these sticks. Notta one thing wrong with them.

Like 90 kill streak or you are lying.

Pachimari

I really have to say, that this seems like the most shaky console I have ever had build quality wise. I'm more afraid of it dying on me than the 360 and I were no big fan of that one.

But what concerns me is, that I hear a clicking sound for some minutes after starting up the PS4, just until I make the fan go super loud and then super silent by starting a game.

Anyone else have this clicking sound? Is it normal? It says the click with about a 5-second interval.

VanWinkle

I disagree with most of what the OP said (except the battery life), but I just wanted to say that I cracked up when I read "I've STILL not seen a compelling reason for having the touchpad!" (paraphrase). Hahaha we've only had launch titles so far! Why would you be at all surprised to find that the first games for the system don't make a compelling use for a new input on the controller?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My PS4 is pretty quiet also.

The DS4 is designed pretty well and folks were right with the comment about hard to go back to the 3 after time with the 4. Though do agree also with the dislike of the always on lightbar...

The case of the PS4 itself was surprised by the wobble. Granted you need to push on it for it to be a problem, but still dont like the fact that its not a fully stabilized unit so to speak with the location of the feet. Odd that someone in the product QA department didnt pick up on this with the real early stages of design. But aside from that the case itself is pretty slick. Though a bit more visual cues as to the power / eject button would be appreciated from the viewpoint not as a gamer but one who would be making their first purchase with the system. Of course one can say RTFM but at the same time you should understand the point Im trying to get across.

I really have to say, that this seems like the most shaky console I have ever had build quality wise. I'm more afraid of it dying on me than the 360 and I were no big fan of that one.

But what concerns me is, that I hear a clicking sound for some minutes after starting up the PS4, just until I make the fan go super loud and then super silent by starting a game.

Anyone else have this clicking sound? Is it normal? It says the click with about a 5-second interval.

I bet them factory workers forgot to oil that thing. Just stick a funnel in there and pour some WD40 in. Working like new.

In all honesty it can make some clicks now and then. It depends. Go by sound. Does it sound normal? Does it sound like your fan is faulty, etc.

Also, I agree they could have done better on the bottom of this thing. Some bigger feet or something a tad larger might have worked. Not a big deal for me atm.

Nymphae

Banned
I disagree with most of what the OP said (except the battery life), but I just wanted to say that I cracked up when I read "I've STILL not seen a compelling reason for having the touchpad!" (paraphrase). Hahaha we've only had launch titles so far! Why would you be at all surprised to find that the first games for the system don't make a compelling use for a new input on the controller?

Right, and there actually are a couple of not bad uses so far. Killzone uses it well for the Owl modes, and it's nice in AC to have a big map button. The functionality of the pad isn't blowing minds yet, but I'm liking it so far. Seems like it will have more promise than the Vita's rear touchpad anyway.

I think it's a fair complaint when the OS, which uses a horizontal coverflow-like design, doesn't even let you navigate it with the touchpad.

BigDug13

I'm surprised about the battery life of the controller. My Vita has a freaking screen and may just last longer.

For comparison, I switched out my rechargeable batteries in my X1 controller last night. That's 10 days of my wife and I gaming on one charge!

Your Vita isn't vibrating. There's two motors in this controller. Turn off vibration and see how the battery life is.

Not sure on the X1. I guess eneloops give more overall power than the battery in the DS4.

TheExodu5

Banned
Your Vita isn't vibrating. There's two motors in this controller. Turn off vibration and see how the battery life is.

Not sure on the X1. I guess eneloops give more overall power than the battery in the DS4.

My 360 controller vibrates and it lasts for a good 30-40 hours.

Is it just that AA batteries have that much more capacity than the Lithiom-Ion cell?

Tawpgun

Seems a lot of you are dismissing the OP's legitimate claims.

The fan is loud - verified
Poor quality thumbsticks - verified
Touch screen starting to come loose - first I heard of this issue, but OP is having it. Could be isolated
Battery life - Verified
Light - verified

Everything else is his opinion. I think the light is kind of an opinion too as I dont see how that affects gaming.

How does the light affect anything? It's pointed down? Are you gaming with your hands up? I play in pitch black, and though I have a matte screen, I actually like the light can show me something I need lit up on the desk or whatever.

As for the thumbsticks yeah we know it is an issue but for some people it is very hard to believe it got that severe without some serious user control issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
The console noise level has nothing to do with it being a rushed design. It was a design choice: to sacrifice silence for a smaller form factor.

Minions

Touch screen starting to come loose - first I heard of this issue, but OP is having it. Could be isolated
Battery life - Verified
Light - verified

Everything else is his opinion. I think the light is kind of an opinion too as I dont see how that affects gaming.

Loud is an opinion. I don't believe my FAN is loud. The disc drive (when first installing) is substantially louder than the fan. I don't head the fan from 4-6 feet away. Thumb sticks is hit or miss. Both of my controllers don't have the issue and I've platinumed Resogun, Beat Contrast and played multiple hours of AC and soon will be playing Killzone. Touchpad sounds like a Q/A issue with his specific controller (mine do not exhibit this, and first I've seen it referenced). Battery life sucks BECAUSE of the light (someone disabled the life and basically doubled the battery life);

SeanR1221

My ps4 is in a pretty closed in cabinet. I keep the door open while playing. It gets warm but never alarmingly hot.

It's in the shelf under the tv

Seems as if anything against Sony is controversial on Gaf.

I don't think so. It is just console wars and concern trolls make some things harder to take than others. Trust me, if I get another controller with a bad R1 I won't be happy. That doesn't mean I need to take an immediate poop on Sony though. MY life goes on.

My PS4's fans are whisper quiet. No complaints here. However it's completely open on the sides, there's plenty of air to move around it.

I love the feel of the DS4, and the speaker on it is a cool touch. I even like the light bar even though it is not integral to the experience. However I agree the battery life could be better. I have two controllers so I just leave one charging and swap out when I need to so impact on my life is minimal.

leadbelly

Banned
Not sure why you make such a big qualifier before getting to the point. You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree with it. I did chuckle a little about the controller cable though. You spent 900USD on hardware and you can't afford or even have a longer extra micro usb cable lying around?

I don't see why they couldn't have provided a longer cable in the box. I thought the same with the PS3 as well. It really is too short.

I'm kind of worried about the analogue sticks. I haven't had that problem yet so I can't really comment. I'd rather not have to keep replacing controllers though so I hope that won't be an issue,

Nymphae

Banned

Battery life - Verified
Light - verified

Fan is loud - mine isn't?
Poor thumbsticks - mine are fine after heavy use?
touch screen loose - this is a new one, mine is fine.
battery life - not great, isn't really a big problem (can easily buy longer cords or charge when not in use/standby)
light - sucks, this I agree with.

Sounds like maybe you have a bad fan or your systems are not placed in a properly ventilated area. I've had no noise issues, so I find this strange.
Mine is horizontal, and in a very well ventilated area. There are just some systems that make more noise than others. And it doesn't run loud all the time. It winds up, then it winds down. And some of this noise people are experiencing is the sound of the BR disc drive. If I eject a disc, a lot of the whirring goes away. Though I can still hear the fan a little as well, it's usually pretty quiet.

I've just grown accustomed to the loud times.

Tawpgun

Fan is loud - mine isn't?
Poor thumbsticks - mine are fine after heavy use?
touch screen loose - this is a new one, mine is fine.
battery life - not great, isn't really a big problem (can easily buy longer cords or charge when not in use/standby)
light - sucks, this I agree with.

It's not about just you though, I'm taking in what I'm seeing from other members here and around the net.

Multiple users here have stated their fan was loud, many also stated they think the fan is fine/quiet. Could be a case of a bad PS4, could be opinion, could be just the set up. But the fact that quite a few users have mentioned the loud fan means it is a known issue.

Your thumbsticks are fine, and so are many others. But there are still a SIGNIFICANT amount of users with deteriorating thumbsticks. What was supposedly an isolated incident is proving to be much more widespread. And yet some people are blaming it on misuse when it is clearly shown that the other controllers they own from other consoles are perfectly fine.

Touch screen issue is new to me also, but OP's claim is still legitimate. I'd say this is either misuse on his part or a bad controller. No other reported cases.

Battery life problem is as big as you make it but a lot of PS4 owners see this as one of the bigger flaws with the console.

Light is tied to battery life I guess.

I have a feeling that the mods are going to eventually crack down on this trend of people putting "Controversial Opinion" in thread titles. Half the threads on here are controversial in some way anyway.

Anyway, I do not agree that the PS4 case seems cheap. Slightly rushed, maybe...perhaps cutting a corner here and there to help ensure a profit is turned per unit sold...but not cheap quality. It's clear that some thought was put into the design. I do agree with the fan noise complaints though, particularly when playing Killzone.

As for the DS4, I do agree with a few of the OP's complaints, although all of them are minor problems to me. I haven't had the thumbstick wearing-down issue...if that does happen to me within the next 3-6 months then I'll agree that the sticks are cheap quality. So far though...the DS4 is Sony's best controller to date by a huge margin.

Crisco

Banned
The console itself is very well designed. The only noise I ever hear from it is the disc drive spinning up, other than that it's totally silent.

The controller clearly has some issues, with the analog nubs wearing down topping the list. The battery life doesn't really bother me, as I'm pretty anal about keeping my devices charging when not in use, but I can see how it would be an issue for others.

leadbelly

Banned
The case of the PS4 itself was surprised by the wobble.

Just tested this out. I remember seeing a youtube video about this, but never thought to check it out on my PS4 until now.

I guess the console is heavier on one side. It's not really an issue though. I can't really think of a time when that might cause a problem.

Minions

Just tested this out. I remember seeing a youtube video about this, but never thought to check it out on my PS4 until now.

I guess the console is heavier on one side. It's not really an issue though. I can't really think of a time when that might cause a problem.

Was it not designed that way because you attach the base on the side without the rubber foot? A rubber foot on the edge would prevent you from attaching the base? That is what I read awhile ago. It also was stated it was a intentional design choice, not some defect.

maltrain

So... can we all post our "controversial" opinions -based on personal experience only and with inflamatory titles-, on Gaf now without risking a ban for trolling?

Wow...

Top Bottom