• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial opinion, Nintendo has improved since it is gone Satoru Iwata

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Do not take it the wrong way, and it is not that it is good words.

450_1000.jpg

What is certain, is that if Iwata were still as president of Nintendo, we would not have the great support of the third companies.

The truth, as Gamers suffered in the era of WII When it was very difficult to bring games like The Last Story or Xenoblade to America, they put many conditions and we did not have quality games.

Since tatsumi kimishima arrived, Nintendo had a very positive radical change.

And it took a more mature form towards the veteran public.

140007-games-review-nintendo-switch-review-image1-lp6zy9awm0.jpg

Nintendo Switch has had a lot of support, which resembles the first Playstation consoles.

The truth, my respects to who is in the current position of Nintendo.

They have managed to bring many interesting and unique games.

Dr Bass

Iwata was part of the brains behind Switch.

I don't think your conclusion is possible to support with facts, because we just don't know what would have happened, or what he thought of the direction. You could argue we would have more "gamer" games if he was still around. I don't think I agree with your take on the "radical change."

It's a real shame he didn't get to see how this platform turned out for Nintendo.

140007-games-review-nintendo-switch-review-image1-lp6zy9awm0.jpg

Nintendo Switch has had a lot of support, which resembles the first Playstation consoles.

Nope, Nintendo still has crap third party support, as usual you had a couple good and downgraded ports early on then back to business.

The Japanese 3DS devs moved to it because they didn't have a choice unless they went to mobile. Western devs still don't touch it much.

Using a outdated mobile processor inside didn't help with that.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Iwata was part of the brains behind Switch.

I don't think your conclusion is possible to support with facts, because we just don't know what would have happened, or what he thought of the direction. You could argue we would have more "gamer" games if he was still around. I don't think I agree with your take on the "radical change."

It's a real shame he didn't get to see how this platform turned out for Nintendo.

It may be, but the truth is that now third-party companies have better access, they are not very restricted as it was in the Wii or Wii-U Era.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Okay, from what I can see, it was a gradual thing. I don't exactly understand what it is that Iwata-san would have done differently. I think it has more to do with third parties warming up to the idea of Nintendo not disappearing all of a sudden. But that's just the way I'm looking at it. There's a lot more that goes into a global company than just the CEO.

Beelzebubs

I mean the Software and the support of the third companies.

Not so much from the console
The support was inevitable. Again, one of the design choices whilst he was head of development on the Swtch was that it had to be portable and accessible. The market has moved towards mobile style games so it seems pretty obvious that developers would want to move towards a market trend of portable games, especially in Japan.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Iwata was responsible for the development of pretty much the Switch's best games.

Dude wasn't perfect. He admitted as much and apologized for the Wii U's shortcomings and took a self-imposed pay cut. He's not been deified as some perfect person, just a great one that took responsibility when it mattered most and righted the wrongs when the ship went off course.

Plus he directly worked on The Adventures of LoLo and you will respect that...

Intimidating Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:
OK. Guy leads company on development of a successful platform but doesn't get credit for it because he died and instead is remembered for mistakes made in previous generations. Awesome.
No his legacy is more than just the WiiU failure or the meandering mid to late Wii era.

Nintendo reached their current levels of success largely due to his forward thinking and leadership during the early 2000s.

DS/Wii/3DS/WiiU are his legacy, not the Switch even if it was under R&D during his final years, the new leadership deserves the credit for it's success.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
As others have pointed out, Iwata actually steered Nintendo into the direction its currently in before his passing. He saw exactly where Nintendo needed to evolve and made it happen. Some would say it was just simply obvious where Nintendo needed to go but obvious wasn't always their strong suit. It wasn't obvious to them that discs were the way forward over cartridges when they made the Nintendo 64. It wasn't obvious to them that Wii U would be a marketing nightmare. Do I even need to mention Virtual Boy? Nintendo has made some stunningly bad decisions in the past. In some cases it took hindsight to see it. In others it was obvious from the start. Where Nintendo is at right now, an undeniable contender in the current market, was Iwata's farewell. If anything I've heard some people start grumbling the opposite. That Nintendo's new leadership is showing signs of squandering his Swan Song.

BlackTron

I don't think Nintendo was managed that well under Iwata or the current leadership.

Nintendo could easily own the entire market that Sony has. They created that enemy with their own hubris, and then shied away from the fight retreating to a casual market of overpriced gimmicks.

They put out a system that's legitimately useful with the hybrid design. So they got out of their own way reducing the number of annoyances you have to deal with to buy a game that's riding on past success and reputation.

That's a marked improvement but not what I would call exemplary.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
No his legacy is more than just the WiiU failure or the meandering mid to late Wii era.

Nintendo reached their current levels of success largely due to his forward thinking and leadership during the early 2000s.

DS/Wii/3DS/WiiU are his legacy, not the Switch even if it was under R&D during his final years, the new leadership deserves the credit for it's success.
New leadership is why we have a game called Hentai vs. Evil, and a game about Sniper serial killing on the eShop.

Iwata built the foundation for the Switch. All Koizumi does is stand there and look pretty at E3. Iwata had legendary presentations and quotes from E3. I still remember when the 3DS and Wii were announced. Koizumi's still doing the finger snapping thing. Iwata spoke English for us, presented E3 as President, and created Nintendo Directs. Tbh I don't know where Nintendo will go after the Switch, without Iwata.

The one thing they've done right since Iwata's passing is prevent piracy.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Iwata was a gamer and programmer and loved video games, the new guy is from the business side of Nintendo and I think it shows in their price points and marketing. They have always been great at business now they are making more strategic decisions around it, where as I think Iwata would throw the gamer a bone every once in a while.

I think it’s fair to say Iwata’s time on the development side was great, but I agree 100% that the generations he was president for were the worst ones. DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii-U were huge disappointments for me. I stopped gaming for a while due to the abysmal output in the late 2000s.

I’m currently reading Ask Iwata, very Insightful. He succeeded with Wii, didn’t with Wii U and if I’m not mistaken he laid the groundwork for Switch success. I think their third party relationships these days are the same as they’ve been for some time and I wouldn’t say that the current leadership is doing anything remarkably different from what Iwata did.

Also, if we’re being controversial - Gunpai Yoko died after Virtual Boy bombed and Iwata died after Wii U bombed. Business and shame are serious matters in Japan, and that’s all I’m sayin’.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Iwata is the man behind Wii and DS.
I think Iwata embraced the Nintendo philosophy better than any other before him, even better than Yamauchi, the founder. He understood Nintendo is a toy company for everyone, with games appealing both families and hardcore gamers.

But this philosophy is not always good. The problem with Nintendo is they act like a monolith, their decisions are slow, they lack in many areas from N64 days. They don't listen their audience, which is good in some ways, but very bad in others. They are Nintendo and "Nintendo knows best". Or this is what they think.

Tams

Gold Member
Sorry, but that simple is disrespectful. And you didn't even have the decency to get your grammar right in your thread title.

As for your argument: Nintendo is still going down the same path that Iwata led them down. And it has been very profitable for them and good for gamers. Sure, we don't have (official) 4k Nintendo games or even hardware that can run 1080p quite often. But there is far more to a good game than graphical fidelity.

Rat Rage

Your opinion is controversial because it implies that Nintendo has improved because Iwata is no longer there, yet the truth is that Nintendo has improved not because of Iwata not being there anymore, but rather the fact that Nintendo has simply learned from all of their mistakes made with the Wii U.

In other words, it's true that the departure/death of Iwata correlated with Nintendo becoming "successful" again, but it wasn't its cause.

Last edited:

borborygmus

You should've titled this thread "Satoru Iwata and the denigration of Nintendo." I'm looking forward to your take on Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Nah.
Nintendo combining there Handheld and Console together is what has worked For them. Software wise they are more powerful and not spread thin.
And hardware wise Nintendo has always done better with Handhelds than consoles apart from the super commercial Wii.

If they released a console and a seperate handheld, it would be the same story as before. Handheld would sell well, console would of done not so great.

It was Iwata supposedly who done the hybrid.

royox

Since Satoru Iwata is gone 90% of what Nintendo released are "Deluxe Editions" of WiiU games and remakes, ports and re-releases of old games. So NO.

And you didn't even have the decency to get your grammar right in your thread title.
While I sometimes find myself at odds with the OP, you gotta cut people some slack when it comes to English proficiency on here.

Some of them are ESL or using software translation; as long as I can get the gist of the message then I think it's fine. The content is another story, lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk they seem to just become more and more a Mario/Zelda/Pokémon house. There is a ton ip they are neglecting.

Zannegan

The third party support is happening because it's possible, unlike on the Wii U. Developers (including our own Arkam Arkam IIRC) even commented on how the Wii U's CPU made ports of games, if not impossible, then too much of a headache to be worth it. The head dev on Crysis 3 publicly laughed at the question. The awful sales of the console also made it unappealing to waste resources on. And it came out just as third parties were all transitioning to the next gen consoles.

Compare that to the Switch, which had hardware that was juuust close enough in power to make downports possible; a nice, relatively modern feature set to make the process smooth; and which came a few years into the generation. More importantly, it sold enough to make the effort worth it. All this to say that the hardware, not some CEO bothering to pick up the phone, made all the support happen. And (as has been pointed out to you time and again in this thread) Iwata was heavily involved in designing that hardware.

I'm glad you're happy with the third party support so far--even if it is NOTICEABLY drying up this year--but you wrote a really braindead, ignorant post. In my honest opinion, the only people who are going to agree with what you've written are the warriors who are still weirdly bitter about the Wii's sales. Iwata made enough mistakes on his own, you don't have to manufacture more for him.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah.

I had hoped the new younger management might have focused on creating a social platform; handles, friends list, achievements/trophies, messaging and voice chat etc. But they haven’t, and it’s all regressed from the 3DS/Wii U. No virtual console, no apps at all, no customisation.

They were better off under Iwata.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The current switch cant barely run any games now, more and more games going to stream on switch

Satoru Iwata was if nothing, a man of character. Taking personal paycuts instead of laying off staff when the Wii U was floundering as an example.
Can't really speak about what-ifs, but I reckon we wouldn't have nonsense garbage like the 3D all-stars collection (of lazily emulated ROMS) and other overpriced ROM collections. Perhaps he might have treated those legacy games with a bit more respect.

Furball

You forgot that GBA , NDS and 3DS exist . Those got ton of third party game and original game that dont exist on other console .

Now third party on switch are mostly just crappy port

cireza

Banned
Switch gets a ton of shit ports, hurray ! This console has been a huge step backwards for services, overall quality of games, ergonomics etc...

There was some consumer respect during Iwata days.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Iwata is the man behind Wii and DS.
I think Iwata embraced the Nintendo philosophy better than any other before him, even better than Yamauchi, the founder. He understood Nintendo is a toy company for everyone, with games appealing both families and hardcore gamers.

But this philosophy is not always good. The problem with Nintendo is they act like a monolith, their decisions are slow, they lack in many areas from N64 days. They don't listen their audience, which is good in some ways, but very bad in others. They are Nintendo and "Nintendo knows best". Or this is what they think.
They followed up Wii and DS (their best selling console/handheld, respectively) with Wii U and 3DS (their worst selling console/handheld).

Wii U was such a disaster it’s a miracle the company even survived. 3DS flopped initially, but recovered once they dropped the price and released the XL version.

Iwata brought the company to a commanding lead, then totally squandered it so badly it almost killed the company. I don’t think there’s ever been another reversal of fortune that huge and dramatic in the gaming industry.

I guess kudos to him for whatever he had to do with the Switch. But I remember every video game pundit and analyst screaming at the top of their lungs that Nintendo should just make a damn hybrid console/handheld. It’s not like Switch is some moonshot that only the geniuses at Nintendo could’ve come up with. It’s a freaking Nvidia Shield tablet that with controller attachments.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, nothing against your opinion, but I don't agree with this at all. I actually feel the opposite.

Not saying Nintendo is in a bad place ATM at all, but I feel like I was more excited about Nintendo and Nintendo titles when Iwata was still present. It also had a particular vibe that I think dissipated after his passing.

Top Bottom