• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial opinion, Nintendo has improved since it is gone Satoru Iwata

UnNamed

Banned
They followed up Wii and DS (their best selling console/handheld, respectively) with Wii U and 3DS (their worst selling console/handheld).

Wii U was such a disaster it’s a miracle the company even survived. 3DS flopped initially, but recovered once they dropped the price and released the XL version.

Iwata brought the company to a commanding lead, then totally squandered it so badly it almost killed the company. I don’t think there’s ever been another reversal of fortune that huge and dramatic in the gaming industry.

I guess kudos to him for whatever he had to do with the Switch. But I remember every video game pundit and analyst screaming at the top of their lungs that Nintendo should just make a damn hybrid console/handheld. It’s not like Switch is some moonshot that only the geniuses at Nintendo could’ve come up with. It’s a freaking Nvidia Shield tablet that with controller attachments.
I wouldn't consider 3DS a failure since it has sold 80M units in an era where competitors are phones and tablet, see Vita.

WiiU was a failure, for me a worse failure than Virtual Boy. Shit happens, and arrogant Nintendo is always coming when they think they are at the top of the market (N64, Gamecube, WiiU). But in the end, WiiU brought enough money to Nintendo they eventually didn't consider it a console that generate some loss.

Switch is a product everyone could do but eventually Nintendo did first, and did it well, you need some talent for doing this.

NahaNago

I'd say no to this as well. Iwata pretty much designed/ran the show on the switch and most of the games that have sold ridiculously well except for probably animal crossing were made when he was alive

Outside of animal crossing it feels more like things have gone downhill game-wise after he died. I can't tell though if this is usual arrogant Nintendo who rides the success of the console and waits to release their for the next console or they are failing at making games for the console.

I'm not sure if Nintendo improved after Iwata, but they will certantly improve after Miyamoto and his hard grip on what products cannot be made, like F-Zero and Earthbound.

Fbh

Can't say I agree.

As shit as the WiiU hardware was, on the Software side I enjoyed it way more than Swich.
Switch is probably going to be my last Nintendo console in a while because they simply don't release as many games that interest me anymore. 1 or 2 amazing games every 5 or 6 years just don't justify having the console in a drawer gathering dust most of the time.

Every Nintendo direct these days is like 30% Smash DLC, 20% indies that will play and run better on everything else, 20% Indie tier Nintendo games sold as $60 retail releases, 20% overpriced WiiU ports and 10% "please be excited about this game coming at some pint in the next 2 to 25 years"

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Can't say I agree.

As shit as the WiiU hardware was, on the Software side I enjoyed it way more than Swich.
Switch is probably going to be my last Nintendo console in a while because they simply don't release as many games that interest me anymore. 1 or 2 amazing games every 5 or 6 years just don't justify having the console in a drawer gathering dust most of the time.

Every Nintendo direct these days is like 30% Smash DLC, 20% indies that will play and run better on everything else, 20% Indie tier Nintendo games sold as $60 retail releases, 20% overpriced WiiU ports and 10% "please be excited about this game coming at some pint in the next 2 to 25 years"
Couldn't agree more with this post!

Shut0wen

I wouldn't consider 3DS a failure since it has sold 80M units in an era where competitors are phones and tablet, see Vita.

WiiU was a failure, for me a worse failure than Virtual Boy. Shit happens, and arrogant Nintendo is always coming when they think they are at the top of the market (N64, Gamecube, WiiU). But in the end, WiiU brought enough money to Nintendo they eventually didn't consider it a console that generate some loss.

Switch is a product everyone could do but eventually Nintendo did first, and did it well, you need some talent for doing this.
Wii u was never bad enough that nintendo could of went bust but yeah they went collateral by releasing there ips to mcdonalads and on mobile

Astral Dog

Iwata passed away before the Switch was even released, but he along with other veterans at Nintendo came up with its conception, design and software since it was known as NX. Iwata deserves credit for how the Switch turned out since it was a huge success from day one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom